Start by marking “Jimmy Stewart and His Poems” as Want to Read:

Jimmy Stewart and His Poems

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  151 ratings  ·  28 reviews
1 cassette / 30 minutes
Read by the Author, Jimmy Stewart
Now, his voice will live on forever....
"I'm sure I never said to myself: 'Now, Jim--why don't you sit down and write a poem.' It's still a mystery to me, but I think probably it's something that happened by accident--like a lot of things have happened in my life."
So begins this delightful collection of poetry by Ameri
Published August 19th 1989 by Crown Publishing Group (NY)

To ask other readers questions about Jimmy Stewart and His Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jimmy Stewart and His Poems

Catching the Big Fish by David LynchBook of Longing by Leonard CohenEdith Wharton's Italian Gardens by Vivian RussellMichelangelo Life, Letters, and Poetry by Michelangelo BuonarrotiShe Was Nice To Mice by Alexandra Elizabeth Sheedy
Doubly Gifted
7th out of 125 books — 25 voters
Shakespeare's Sonnets by William ShakespeareComplete Poems by Edgar Allan PoeThe Road Not Taken and Other Poems by Robert FrostComplete Poems of Emily Dickinson by Emily DickinsonLeaves of Grass by Walt Whitman
Goodreads Top 100 Poems of All Time
154th out of 183 books — 161 voters

More lists with this book...

Siany
Apr 01, 2008 Siany rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pookas!
Gorgeous. I cried all the way through 'Beau'. A gentle read, especially enjoyed the stories behind the poems.

Tone - I should forward this book to you, I remembered the Parkie interview and thought you'd probably like this one.
Chris
If it weren't Jimmy Stewart, it would be one star. I really wanted to like the poems since I enjoy him so much as an actor, but they're simply not good.
Mary Hollister
Bad. Sorry, Jimmy. If anyone else (that wasn't a celebrity) had written these poems, they would never have been published.
John
Stewart was a great actor and a bad poet.
Petra
As lovable as Jimmy himself.
Wanda
Jimmy Stewart has always been one of my favorite actors. He was "real people" as we used to say. I ran across a poem he wrote about his dog many years ago and while searching the internet for a copy of it to insert into one my poetry books, I found that he had published it with a few other poems he had written. I found it on a used book web-site or ebay?, purchased it and read it this morning while I ate breakfast. Yes, it's a fast read. This is not earth shattering excellence but it is good hom ...more
Hannah
I really enjoyed this book! It's very short--thirty-something pages--and there are only four poems, but it was definitely worth finding. Each poem is prefaced by a short background story of the poem. I found it a lot of fun to learn a little more about Stewart and the simple, touching moments in his home life. His style as a poet is rhyming and light. It's easy to read, and I found myself laughing out loud about some of the situations in which Stewart and his family found themselves. I would def ...more
As Jimmy himself said, “I’m sure I never said to myself, ‘Now, Jim – why don’t you sit down and write a poem.’ It’s still a mystery to me, but I think probably it’s something that happened by accident.” [pg. 5] I would never have thought that Jimmy would sit down and write poems. But I’m glad he did, accident or no accident. For although their topics are fairly mundane – a Hotel in Junin, his dog, Beau, and the perspective of a newly purchased film camera – they peek into the man that Jimmy was; ...more
Art
Make sure you read the poem Jimmy Stewart wrote about his dog named Beau. Fun little book.
Ken French
I had my copy autographed by Stewart at Doubleday Book Store on Fifth Avenue.
Mindi
While this is not high quality poetry, there are some clever lines & definitely a sweetness. The best part is that if you love Jimmy, you will hear his voice in your head! :) I enjoyed the explanations for each poem & the final one about his dog, Beau, tugged at my heartstrings...precursor for Marley & Me.
Jason Ruggles
This isn't so much a book as it is just 4 poems and their background stories. That said, all of the poems are great. One will move you to tears, and the others will make you smile. The Meanest Step is one of the funniest poems ever (but maybe that's because I empathize with the plight of stumbling on uneven stairs.

If you like Jimmy Stewart as an actor, this book will make you like him as a person.
Miedy Bishop
Not only Jimmy Stewart was a great actor, he was also a great writer. I had fun reading this book. Not only it contains his poems (including the famous one about his beloved dog, Beau), but he also wrote the stories behind the poem. Very entertaining.
Emily
Of course sweet and sentimental, but also surprisingly clever:

The opening verse to "Beau", a poem about Stewart's dog:

He never came to me when I would call
Unless I had a tennis ball,
Or he felt like it,
But mostly he didn't come at all.
Laseghi2
Cute! Mr. Stewart was a man of many talents. I especially enjoy clips of Jimmy Stewart reciting these poems on the Carson show. I bought this book @ his museum's store in Indiana, PA. What a beautiful place to call home!
Tonya
If you like Jimmy Stewart, you will like this book. It is funny, and serious, and you cannot read it without hearing Jimmy in your head. I like the little stories about the poems that are included, as well.
Ruth
I saw Jimmy Stewart on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson years ago reading some of his poems. A few years later my mom ordered it for me from an out of circulation site. I love the book!
Victoria
very sweet (just like the man he was). I had heard him read his poem about his dog who died a few times and while reading all of these poems, you can hear his recognizable voice.
Bev Hankins
I never really imagined Jimmy Stewart writing poetry... but why not? These are very good and very real from a very nice and down-to-earth man. Three & 1/2 stars.
Rachel
Probably one of the first 5 books of poetry ever given to me...as a child. Tons of fond memories with this one! I know I've read it at least thirty-five times.
Melissa Bee
I love the poem "Beau". I'm a sucker for anthropomorphism of dogs. It's why I will put up with Dean Koontz being so freakin' weird!
Sheila
Cute poetry by the actor Jimmy Stewart. I found the poem "Beau" especially touching.
Megan McF
Perhaps some of worst, and yet, most entertaining poems you will ever read.
Teresa
Maybe he isn't the best poet but I always loved Jimmy Stewart.
Jen
Sep 30, 2007 Jen marked it as to-read
Shelves: poetry, own
Jimmy Stewart wrote poetry? Whodathunk!
Kara
So fricken cute
Cws
May 08, 2008 Cws added it
811.54
Shellii Huff
Shellii Huff marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
  • One Hundred and One Famous Poems: With a Prose Supplement
  • Good Stuff: A Reminiscence of My Father, Cary Grant
  • Collected Works Of Edna St. Vincent Millay
  • Jean Arthur: The Actress Nobody Knew
  • Loom Knitting Primer: A Beginner's Guide to Knitting on a Loom, with over 30 Fun Projects
  • Hunt at the Well of Eternity (Gabriel Hunt, #1)
  • The Centurion's Empire
  • Cinderella
James Maitland "Jimmy" Stewart (May 20, 1908 – July 2, 1997) was an American film and stage actor, best known for his self-effacing persona. Over the course of his career, he starred in many films widely considered classics and was nominated for five Academy Awards, winning one in competition and receiving one Lifetime Achievement award. He was a major MGM contract star. He also had a noted milita ...more
More about Jimmy Stewart...
CISSP: Certified Information Systems Security Professional Study Guide Jazz Harmony Easy Jazz Riffs Heavy Metal Guitar Method: Book & Cassette Comptia Security+ Review Guide: Sy0-201