Start by marking “Clubbed to Death (Dead-End Job Mystery, #7)” as Want to Read:
Clubbed to Death (Dead-End Job Mystery, #7)

Clubbed to Death (A Dead-End Job Mystery #7)

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  990 Ratings  ·  60 Reviews
Helen Hawthorne's latest dead-end job is in a country club's complaint department, dealing with the gripes of the rich and spoiled. Then Rob, her deadbeat ex-husband, sails back into her life aboard the yacht of his new lady, Marcella - known as the Black Widow for her string of dead spouses. The next day Rob's reported missing. If the Black Widow has such a murderous repu ...more
Published May 6th 2008 by NAL Hardcover (first published May 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Clubbed to Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clubbed to Death

Gail
Aug 24, 2008 Gail rated it it was ok
Shelves: mysteries
I have gotten a little annoyed with Helen, the heroine of the Dead-end job mysteries. She has a great, handsome boyfriend who thinks Clapton is god, a lot of good quirky friends, and a good life. All she does is obssess about her asinine ex-husband. Her dead-end job is a little better paying which means she's more in debt because of the clothes and car. She works for the Superior country club in the customer care unit, fielding complaints from rich, spoiled people.
Anyway, there's a happy ending
Diane
Feb 22, 2009 Diane rated it liked it
I was looking for a light, fluffy mystery and this fit the bill. I didn't realize it was part of a series, but it didn't seem to matter that I hadn't read the earlier books. This is no P.D. James novel in terms of complexity or writing, and the mystery was easy to solve, but it provided a fun mindless read.
Lynn
Jan 06, 2014 Lynn rated it really liked it
Fun. I am looking for the other books in the series as we speak.
Amy
Aug 09, 2016 Amy rated it really liked it
Another excellent installment in the dead-end job series! It's great to watch Phill and Helen get closer and watch Helen's ex-husband Rob got a little bit of his comeuppance. And we get to see another couple move into to 2C... What I really liked about this novel is that you get to see who the killer is but then there's some more reading left so that you can solve more of the books mysteries until all of the loose ends are tied up. And as always the solutions are very clever. I look forward to r ...more
Lizpeveto
Jun 10, 2016 Lizpeveto rated it liked it
#7 in the dead end job series. You can begin the series anywhere but it is best to start from the beginning. The good news is that it looks like Helen will finally see some justice served to her ex-husband. Viets’ job descriptions are so detailed as to reflect the real life challenges people face in the minimum wage jobs. Some are heart breakers and others are so hilariously funny that you might want to try the same job. Not really. This is a series that you will love or think you’ve wasted your ...more
Reacherfan
This very average entry in the Dead-End Job series was much better than her recent Josie Marcus mystery, but they shared a lot in common. Helen Hawthorne married the wrong man and while supporting him as he 'looked for work', she caught him in the sack with another woman. She gets taken to the cleaners in her divorce and decides to never pay the bum a cent. She quits her job and goes on the run working minimum wage jobs all over, but mostly in Florida. Now she's sort of settled in, has a boyfrie ...more
Ellen
Creative and original, December 16, 2011
By Ellen Rappaport
This review is from: Clubbed to Death: A Dead-End Job Mystery (Hardcover)
I've read all of the Dead End Jobs series so far and am astonished at this author's creativity. This particular book is no exception. I enjoyed all of it and appreciated how Elaine worked in Helen's ex to the possibility of his demise. Margery, Helen's landlady, played a role but much more subdued in my opinion, as were the tenants in apt. 2C. Nothing was over do
Lori Whitwam
Sep 11, 2008 Lori Whitwam rated it really liked it
Helen has been on the run for years, hiding out in south Florida doing dead-end jobs and staying out of public record. Several years earlier, she'd come home from her high-stress, high-pay job and found her shiftless husband cheating on her with a neighbor. She beat the snot out of his fancy SUV (which she had bought him) with a crow bar. Divorce ensued, but she got the short end when the judge ordered her to pay half her future earnings to the deadbeat Rob. So she ran, makes nothing, and refuse ...more
Marisa Young
Aug 17, 2016 Marisa Young rated it liked it
Working in the customer care department of a country club, a woman encounters her ex-husband. He is now married to a rich woman known as the Black Widow. The ex-husband then disappears.

Gives you an idea of working in a customer complaint department and dealing with the super rich.

Enjoyable cozy.
Kristen
Sep 26, 2014 Kristen rated it liked it
Shelves: serial-cozy, 1-09
In the 7th installment of the Helen Hawthorne Dead-End series by Elaine Viets, Helen ended up in another quandary of their own in Clubbed to Death. We find Helen working in the complaint department of the local country club, dealing with the gripes of the rich and the spoiled. Then her ex Rob had located her and sailed aboard a yacht with his new wife Marcella, the "Black Widow. The next day Rob ended up missing, while Helen ended up arrested. Marcella released Helen, while they team up to form ...more
Rachel Kirby
Oct 09, 2015 Rachel Kirby rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish
If I didn't have a pile higher than my house of other books to read I might have given this more time. But a little too mean spirited of a main character for me to be interested. On to the next one.
Linda
Oct 03, 2015 Linda rated it liked it
Shelves: challenge
I enjoyed the setting for Helens dead end job at s country club and don't know how she stood it. As much as this book wasn't overly long and nor did it seem so, there was a point where I was like what else will happen.
Anam
Apr 09, 2016 Anam rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Helen Hawthorne is on the run from an ex-husband who has been awarded 1/2 of her "future" income in the divorce. She has taken low paying jobs with an assumed identity to keep him for getting anything. Her current jo is at an exclusive Country Club- exclusive only meaning that you have to have the money to join. When ex-husband Rob disappears, Helen is suspect. Then a co-worker and a club member area also murdered. And Helen had the means, the opportunity, and even a motive.

My favorite line from
Michele
Aug 22, 2015 Michele rated it really liked it
This one had me laughing out loud. The plot was great, the characters had me in stitches. How can you not laugh at over the top pretention with a side of murder?
Marney Hawes
Aug 29, 2015 Marney Hawes rated it liked it
Shelves: series
The first book I found of this recommended series. I liked the characters and found the premise very clever. I am now interested to go back to its beginning.
VJ
Jan 06, 2013 VJ rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
I'm never sleeping on a hotel bedspread again and I think I will make sure to tip the maids if I stay with my parents more than 1 night in any room.

That being said, this book was crazy hilarious in the tradition I've come to expect from this author. The descriptions of society people and how they treat those fallen from their standing due to divorce or financial difficulty seems to be too kind.

I like how Helen realizes she needs to be careful to not be negatively influenced and that she doesn'
Linda Aranda
Apr 05, 2016 Linda Aranda rated it liked it
My review can be found at: http://www.bookclubcompanion.com/ques...
Re
Sep 29, 2009 Re rated it really liked it
This was one of the better of Viets' series, or at least I enjoyed it at a high level. Now, I am looking forward to her next book ! I believe it is already out, though have not checked that. I believe one of her Josie series is due out in November. I've read about 2 of each of her series, previous to this book. I'd read how her books were 'formulaic' though haven't read them close enough to one another to be able to 'buy' that. This was a highly enjoyable mystery, and well-thought out, I believe ...more
Ed
Oct 25, 2012 Ed rated it really liked it
#7 in the Dead End Job series. Helen's despicable ex-husband, from whom she has been hiding for the last 6 books, reappears to add spice to this entry.

Dead End Job series - Helen Hawthorne, a "customer care" clerk at the snobbish Superior Club is dismayed to run into her ex in the parking lot. Rob fears for his life and Helen hits him. Fellow employee, Brenda is a witness and gets Helen fired. The authorities view Helen as a suspect after Rob disappears. Someone beats Brenda to death and Helen h
Chelsea
Apr 15, 2009 Chelsea rated it it was ok
2.5 to be exact. I enjoyed the mystery part, but I couldn't relate to the main character...at all. Plus, it took her a good 100 pages to decide to start "sleuthing" and figure out the "case" on her own...I'm used to the main character being yes, new to detective work, but read and willing to hop right in and get going. This really dragged at the beginning. But the plot was decent. It had some funny parts...not sure I'd read any more of this series, but maybe one of her other regular mysteries??? ...more
Mascanlon
Aug 17, 2008 Mascanlon rated it liked it
Recommends it for: humorous mystery lovers
This is the newest in the Dead-End-Job mysteries. Helen lives on the lam and working wherever she can earn a paycheck. In this outing, her ex-husband, the cause of her running away sails back into her life aboard the the yacht of his new wife. Of course, in her first run in with the low life Rob, Helen socks him in the nose and the next day he's gone missing. Straightening it all out is good fun with the a cast of colorful south Florida characters helping out.
Rachel
Nov 23, 2013 Rachel rated it liked it
Helen Hawthorne just started working in the customer care office of a country club. Her exhusband and his rich new wife, known as the black widow due to all of her dead husbands, show up at the club the her exhusband Rob ends up missing and Helen is the main suspect. I like Helen but think the author is a bit unrealistic about how people can survive on minimum wage.
Connie
Jan 28, 2011 Connie rated it really liked it
When Helen is accused of her ex-husband's murder, she decides she must play detective and find him because she doesn't believe he's really dead. Along the way, she finds other bodies and almost gets killed herself. A light read for those days you just want to read and relax.

FTC disclosure: I bought my copy of this book.
Linda
Jul 30, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it

I've enjoyed the series so far. Is her obsession with the ex husband finally over? The last two books I was ready to stop because I couldn't take Helen's focus on the ex and not being honest with Phil. Now that this one ended the way it did, I am ready for the next in the series.
Diane
Oct 29, 2008 Diane rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
I learned that I can not stand any longer to read books in which the female lead is a ditz with a low IQ who is only happy when the man of her dreams is with her/wants to marry her. Think of a cheap thriller where the girl is opening the door to the killer. For 264 pages.

Gretchen
Jul 17, 2010 Gretchen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A light beach read about a girl who is being hounded by her ex to give him alimony. She takes dead-end jobs to avoid paying him anything; goes from driving a Lexus to a clunker,solves and finds love and friends in a Florida apartment complex. Frothy
Kimberly
Oct 19, 2011 Kimberly rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
I hope Rob is gone for good. I'm getting tired of listening to Helen defend him and try to save him every time he comes up.
I still like the mysteries even though it's the same formula each book. But I guess that's what I get for reading them back to back.
Linda Smatzny
Mar 02, 2013 Linda Smatzny rated it liked it
This is the seventh book in the Dead-End Job Mystery series. The main character, Helen Hawthorne, takes low paying jobs so she doesn't have to pay her ex. Her ex, Rob, is featured in this book. The series is set in the Fort Lauderdale area of south Florida.
Jeanette
Jan 03, 2010 Jeanette rated it liked it
These are turning out to all be pretty much the same plot. It was still somewhat enjoyable, but I don't think I will read more. I do think this series is better than the Mystery Shopper series, even though they both have the same premise.
Leslie Angel
Jun 07, 2009 Leslie Angel rated it it was ok
I like this series for the quirky people who hang out by the pool drinking wine. It's getting a little shopworn though, I think, but still readable. Too bad. Her other series about a mystery shopper is a little fresher perhaps.
  • Hostile Makeover (Crime of Fashion, #3)
  • Dead Men Don't Get the Munchies (A Cooking Class Mystery, #3)
  • Dying to Be Thin (A Fat City Mystery, #1)
  • Acts of Violets (A Flower Shop Mystery, #5)
  • Death Loves a Messy Desk (A Charlotte Adams Mystery #3)
  • Pretty in Ink (Tattoo Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Murder Melts in Your Mouth (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #7)
  • Killer Blonde (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #3)
  • The Fright of the Iguana (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery, #5)
  • Dead Air (Talk Radio Mystery #1)
  • The Chocolate Cupid Killings (A Chocoholic Mystery, #9)
  • Dead Giveaway (A Yellow Rose Mystery, #3)
262084
As a young girl, Elaine Viets was taught the virtues of South St. Louis: the importance of hard work, housecleaning, and paying cash. She managed to forget almost everything she learned, which is why she turned to mystery writing.

Living in South Florida has not improved her character. But it has given her the bestselling Dead-End Job series. Like her amateur detective, Helen Hawthorne, Elaine actu
More about Elaine Viets...

A Dead-End Job Mystery (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Shop Till You Drop (Dead-End Job Mystery, #1)
  • Murder Between the Covers (Dead-End Job Mystery, #2)
  • Dying to Call You (Dead-End Job Mystery, #3)
  • Just Murdered (Dead-End Job Mystery, #4)
  • Murder Unleashed (Dead-End Job Mystery, #5)
  • Murder with Reservations (Dead-End Job Mystery, #6)
  • Killer Cuts (Dead-End Job Mystery, #8)
  • Half-Price Homicide (Dead-End Job Mystery, #9)
  • Pumped for Murder (Dead-End Job Mystery, #10)
  • Final Sail (Dead-End Job Mystery, #11)