Start by marking “The Oxford Illustrated History of Christianity” as Want to Read:
The Oxford Illustrated History of Christianity

The Oxford Illustrated History of Christianity

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Spanning two thousand years of stirring religious, cultural and political events, this lavishly illustrated volume provides the most authoritative and accessible history of Christianity ever published for the general reader.
The impact of Christianity on world civilization is almost incalculable, and in exploring this rich heritage, nineteen leading scholars range from th
Published November 19th 1992 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published November 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Oxford Illustrated History of Christianity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Oxford Illustrated History of Christianity

^
I can't quite make up my mind about this book. I love the plentiful and apt illustrations; but I wonder if it attempts to cover too much? This book provides a high-level view. The politics of power overcome the simple faith (advised or genuine) of the peasant/citizen. Read this book in combination with 'grounded' publications such as "The Voices of Morebath" by Eamon Duffy.

I was surprised to find little of substance in this book on the early years of the English Reformation; the birth of a Refor
Clayton Tinervin

The content of the book was great. It was an enjoyable and easy read, the illustrations are its highlight. As a survey of Church history it seemed light. But it is a sharp looking book, and as far as vanity goes, it looks fantastic on the shelf!
Joshua
One of my favorite references when I am looking for a quick answer about a particular Church history question. Scholarly, but not overly in depth - the literary equivalent of a survey class.
Laine
I have this book out a lot for my classes and it was recommended by a couple of my instructors for Pastoral Ministry. I have learned a lot from it and the pictures are fabulous - b/w; color and maps
MrWalterN
Some of the articles in this book are fairly outdated.
Anthony Cleverly
dry boring and mostly about Catholics
Kendall Collins
Kendall Collins marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Jeremy
Jeremy marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Luke Kippenbrock
Luke Kippenbrock marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Deb
Deb marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Patrik Heikkilä
Patrik Heikkilä marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Kyle Walker
Kyle Walker marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Kristina
Kristina marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Lynn
Lynn added it
Dec 27, 2014
Ahmad Abdelghani
Ahmad Abdelghani marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Ryn
Ryn marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • A History of the Christian Church
  • The Christian Theology Reader
  • Saints and Sinners: A History of the Popes
  • The Christian Tradition 4: Reformation of Church & Dogma 1300-1700
  • Gardner's Art Through the Ages, Vol 1, Chapters 1-18 (w/Artstudy Student CD-ROM & Infotrac)
  • Pagans and Christians
  • The Oxford Companion to the Bible
  • The Protestant Reformation
  • Early Christian Doctrines
  • Constantine's Sword: The Church and the Jews, A History
  • The Birth of Christianity
  • The Art of Pastoring
  • A History of Christianity Volume 2: Reformation to the Present (AD 1500 - AD 1975)
  • English Synopsis of the Four Gospels
  • Fundamentalism and American Culture
  • The Body & Society: Men, Women & Sexual Renunciation in Early Christianity
  • The New Jerome Biblical Commentary
  • Sex Lives of the Popes
John "Jack" McManners CBE FBA was a British clergyman and historian of religion who specialized in the history of the Church and other aspects of religious life in 18th century France. He was Regius Professor of Ecclesiastical History at the University of Oxford from 1972 to 1984. He also served as Fellow and Chaplain of All Souls College, Oxford from 1964 to 2001.
More about John McManners...
The Oxford History of Christianity The French Revolution And The Church Death and the Enlightenment: Changing Attitudes to Death Among Christians and Unbelievers in Eighteenth-Century France Fundamentalism and Evangelicals St. Cuthbert And The Animals'