Start by marking “Tight Little Stitches In A Dead Man's Back” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Tight Little Stitches ...

Joe R. Lansdale
Preview

Tight Little Stitches In A Dead Man's Back

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  146 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Published (first published March 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Tight Little Stitches In A Dead Man's Back, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tight Little Stitches In A Dead Man's Back

Chris
It is easy to see why this story won the Bram Stoker. It is a gem from a master. Devastating in its bleakness as it shows not only the desolated land left by a nuclear apocalypse but also the blighted landscape of the hearts and souls of those left behind to do perhaps nothing more than prolong the moment of their death. The first to die clearly are the lucky ones because what do the survivors do to fill the void of those who are gone? To make this disturbing story all the more unsettling the fi ...more
Angela
Excellent short story I found for free on www.amazon.co.uk.

I love post-apocalyptic stories and this, so far, is one of the better written and original ones I have come across. Highly recommended.

(view spoiler)
Marvin
Another really good piece of short fiction from Joe R. Lansdale that Kindle readers can presently get free from Amazon. This is one of Joe's bleaker stories and that is saying a lot. It is also a scarce example of post-apocalyptic writing from the "Champion Mojo Storyteller". He is entering Brian Keene territory with this little grosser-outer. If that last sentence doesn't scare you away then I recommend it.
Godzilla
This is a low rating for a Joe Lansdale book from me. Normally I would wax lyrical over his plotting, characterisation and dialogue.

That's the problem with this tale of post apocalypse woe - the plot doesn't twist much, there are few characters and even less dialogue.

He still manages to put in his unusual analogies, but with out the characters to riff on they felt flattter than usual.

There are still some wonderfully descriptive passages, but without the emotional investement in the characters I
Jennifer Wardrip
Truly effed up in typical Lansdale fashion. And, yes, I mean that as a compliment.
Toby
Dark, bleak, and utterly brilliant. In the first few paragraphs of this short story Lansdale illustrates characters with an authentic richness that many authors fail to do in an entire book. This excellently penned story takes the format of the first and last entries of what may be the last man on earth, surviving in a lighthouse with his hateful wife. Surrounded by strange creatures, and ravaged by guilt and sorrow over the death of his daughter, our protagonist writes in a futile attempt to re ...more
Col
Browsing Amazon and looking for availability on a couple of Lansdale’s missing Hap and Leonard books, I happened upon a few Lansdale freebies, of which this was one. Not sure if this should really count towards my year end books read total, as it could be a short story or a novella, but has been released on its own as a chapbook in the past. Anyway I’m claiming it.

I think Lansdale, the “Champion Mo-jo Storyteller” (self-proclaimed?), won the Bram Stoker award for this tale of survival in a post-
Kelly
A perfect story that's as tight as the stitches in the protagonist's mutilated back. A convergence of sci-fi, horror, and the post-apocalypse, but the dominant theme is the destructive power of guilt. If you only know Lansdale for his crime novels, you know he's a master plotter. This story is proof that he's just as deft with language. Disturbingly lovely.
Alejandro
I love me some Lansdale, and this novella was no exception, though I must say it was disconcerting to see how much he is capable of changing his typical style. Gone is the East Texas drawl, replaced by the slowly-maddening voice of a scientist who very literally bears the weight of the world on his back. Saying any more than that would be to verge into spoiler territory.
Grammar*Kitten
Tight Little Stitches In A Dead Man's Back is a spectacular little short that I stumbled upon quite by accident. I remember seeing this as a freebie offering on Amazon a few months ago but actually passed it by because I'm not usually fond of short stories, but I was recently recommended it here on Goodreads and I'm very glad that I picked it up at last.

I really enjoyed the concept of this novel; it was a little zombie apocalypse meets day of the triffids - sounds strange I know. It is strange.
Shanice
I wanted to give this book 3 stars because it was so disturbing but I don't think a book deserves three stars because it wasn't of my taste. So I'm giving this book 5 stars because it is a good story it was very touching.
Randy
End of The World

A tale of a world after a nuclear war. A group from a bow base explores and finds a hostile environment. For humans anyway.

A unique story only as Lansdale could write.
Lisa Cleveland
This wasn't my favorite story by Mr. Lansdale and I had planned on just giving it 3 stars, but the ending really got to me and it ended up making the whole tale well worth it. Yep, I'd recommend this story and author.
Saretta
Il dopobomba è terrificante. E tua figlia è rimasta fuori dal rifugio e tua moglie ti incolpa e anneghi nel rimorso.
L'unico modo per farti toccare ancora dalla madre di tua figlia è permetterle di farti un tatuaggio sulla schiena. Doloroso.
E fin qui sarebbe fantascienza, poi l'horror fa capolino e assume una delle forme più delicate in natura.
Bob
I ran across this when I first got my Kindle and was searching for some freebies to get a feel for the gadget. This is a satisfying short along the vein of "The Ruins" and "I am Legend". Written in diary entry form and with a little push could probably have made a pretty decent horror novel.
Fiona
WELL WELL WELL....

This is a creepy little mind fuck of a book - May never go a smell a rose again in my life....

Rosa M.
This was an interesting story, and I didn't expect where it was going. It was an inventive plot, and very scary.
Adam Light
I love this story. This was my introduction to Lansdale, a bleak and disturbing tale. Do yourself a favor and read it.
Sheri White
Excellent story, sad and horrifying at the same time. Joe Lansdale is a great writer.
Charles
A small chapbook from Pulphouse Publishing containing just the one title story.
Evans Light
One of my all-time favorites! Not to be missed.
Jex
Dec 30, 2011 Jex marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Free on Amazon
G8tes
Great short story.
Jonathan Rucks
Jonathan Rucks marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
  • Wood
  • The Mole People Beneath the City
  • The Grief Frequency
  • Dead Earth: The Green Dawn
  • Inside the Outside
  • The Unwashed Dead (Zombie Armageddon #1)
  • When We Join Jesus In Hell
  • Yesterday's Gone: Episode 2 (Yesterday's Gone, #2)
  • The Haunted
  • Aberrations
  • Shock Totem 4: Curious Tales of the Macabre and Twisted
  • The Rain Dancers
  • Primal Shift: Part 1 (A Post-Apocalyptic Thriller)
  • Zombie Bits (Murdermouth)
  • Specimen 313
  • Bury The Children In The Yard
  • I'm Not Sam
  • All Wrapped Up
Joe R. Lansdale is the winner of the British Fantasy Award, the American Horror Award, the Edgar Award, and six Bram Stoker Awards. He lives in Nacogdoches, Texas.
More about Joe R. Lansdale...
The Bottoms Mucho Mojo (Hap and Leonard, #2) Savage Season (Hap and Leonard, #1) The Two-Bear Mambo (Hap and Leonard, #3) Edge of Dark Water