Configurations: Poetry

Configurations: Poetry

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  114 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Configurations was his first major collection to be published in this country, and includes in their entirety Sun Stone (1957) and Blanco (1967). Paz himself translated many of the poems from the Spanish. Some distinguished contributors to this bilingual edition include, among others, Paul Blackburn, Lysander Kemp. Denise Levertov, and Muriel Rukeyser. Paz's poems, althoug...more
Published January 17th 1971 by New Directions Publishing Corporation

To ask other readers questions about Configurations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Configurations

Colin
Octavio Paz has this transcendent gift for poems which words transform into images as you read them. His use of red, blue, white, black, yellow are especially notable as they constantly enforce the spirit of Mexico that he invokes .

"Sunstone" & "Blanco" are highly recommended (but really they all are)!

"I want to go on, to go beyond; I cannot;
the moment scatters itself in many things,
I have slept the dreams of the stone that never dreams
and deep among the dreams of years like stones...more
Viki

Octavio Paz's poems are subtle, earthy, and erotic. There is also a duality in his pieces; things can be and not be in the same instant, and he elegantly crafts his words to give that juxtaposition of varying realities resonance. His verses remind me of the parables found in the Bible-stories that teach on many levels. The deeper you go, the more complicated the philosophy, and the closer you get to simpler truth.
The intertwined themes of sex, eroticism, and love demonstrate the fecundity of th...more
Floatbox
It's clear that Paz is a genius, and so I cannot rate this below five regardless of my inability to grasp much of it. But that is somewhat the point with surrealism, yes? These poems slip over me, rewarding re-reading with further ambiguities and suspicious clarities as maybe all clarities should be or are or not. Challenging.
Jeremy
Incredible. Paz finds these impossiblly small moments in time and space and unwinds them to reveal a transcendent beauty that is almost overpowering. Paz charts places in the psyche both mystical and profound with an almost disturbing ease. Best read in a quiet, contemplative isolation.
Patrick
Very dense poetry with broad cultural references. It seems like a book that could be studied at a graduate level. I certainly realized that this was great poetry but that perhaps I was not worthy of fully appreciating it.
Russ
Jan 03, 2008 Russ added it
Another poet that uses form and language to push the envelope.
Highly recommended
Britton
this is on my nightshelf
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Retoriplastique
Retoriplastique marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
Ryan Bonfanti
Ryan Bonfanti marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2013
Miguel
Miguel marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2013
s0fist
s0fist marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2013
Jorge
Jorge marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2013
Jorgen
Jorgen marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2013
Bill
Bill marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2013
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2013
Bryan
Bryan is currently reading it
Aug 27, 2013
Sneh Pradhan
Sneh Pradhan marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Octavio Paz Lozano (March 31, 1914 – April 19, 1998) was a Mexican writer, poet, and diplomat, and the winner of the 1982 Neustadt International Prize for Literature and the 1990 Nobel Prize for Literature ("for impassioned writing with wide horizons, characterized by sensuous intelligence and humanistic integrity.")
More about Octavio Paz...
The Labyrinth of Solitude and Other Writings The Collected Poems, 1957-1987 El laberinto de la Soledad The Double Flame: Love and Eroticism Sunstone