Start by marking “Batman: Joker's Last Laugh” as Want to Read:
Batman: Joker's Last Laugh

Batman: Joker's Last Laugh (Batman)

The Joker concocts a scheme to carry on his legacy by transforming his fellow villains into "jokerized" versions of themselves in this exciting tale!

Deep in the heart of the Slab, the maximum security prison for super-powered criminals, the Joker learns that he is dying. Using the venom that transformed him into a pasty-faced sociopath, the Joker decides to share it with c
Published May 20th 2008 by DC Comics (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Batman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Batman

It by Stephen KingFloppy Shoes Apocalypse by John LedgerCoulro by Brandon SwarrowBatman by Chuck DixonShalimar the Clown by Salman Rushdie
Clowns
38 books — 28 voters
Batman by Alan MooreBatman by Frank MillerBatman by Jeph LoebBatman by Frank MillerBatman by Grant Morrison
Best of Batman
372 books — 711 voters

More lists with this book...

StoryTellerShannon
This tale focuses upon Joker in a high security prison with a plan to escape but as Batman predicts there is something even more dastardly involved. We get to see most of the Batman Family as well as some appearances by JLA members. The stakes are raised even more as it becomes apparent that Joker thinks he is dying and wants to have one good laugh that will hurt a ton of people in the process.

See Nightwing lose control while fighting the Joker. See Joker manipulate and control other supervillai
Ryan Mishap
Nov 21, 2013 Ryan Mishap rated it it was ok
Shelves: batman-et-al
While the art was good, the story was absurd. Joker is diagnosed with a brain tumor so he decides to stage a prison riot--in part by changing the genetics of all the mutant villains so they are "jokerized"--and unleashes havoc across the U.S. We barely see Batman as this is mostly about Oracle wanting to kill Joker and Nightwing trying to calm her down. There are various subplots and a couple neat things, but all in all there was just too much going on for a decent story to be wrung from this ...more
Andy
Aug 21, 2012 Andy rated it liked it
Batman: The Joker's Lasts Laugh is a 6-issue miniseries that ran in 2001-2002, written by comic vets Chuck Dixon and Scott Beatty and drawn by a host of artists. The premise: The Joker, while incarcerated is told he has an inopperable brain tumor and that his time is short. Driven mad by the thought of dying against his will (can he really be driven any more mad?) the Joker easily breaks out prison, bringing with him a cadre of other baddies - and just for kicks - "jokerizes" them all with his ...more
Kari Ramirez
May 16, 2014 Kari Ramirez rated it it was ok
I think the only reason why this is titled as Batman is because Joker is Batman's villain, but the Bats is not the focus here. If anything, I would say Oracle and Nightwing are carrying this story. But what was annoying about the story was it was incomplete! There are places where it has an * with the note that if you want to 'read more about this battle' read Nightwing issue whatever. What?! Super boo!

But there's so much going on and everything just kind of scrapes the surface. The whole prison
Gavin
Nov 02, 2012 Gavin rated it did not like it
Shelves: comics
This barely has much to do with Batman, it's more about Oracle and her feelings towards the Joker and her feelings towards Nightwing/Dick. Joker gets cancer and goes on a bender, breaking out of prison and then it just gets ridiculous from there. Too many characters, too much stupidity and over the top stuff. When a Comic is too hard to believe, you know there's a problem. I could barely keep track of all the mutant bad guys and it also didn't help that in every different artist's work, ...more
Michelle Cristiani
Nov 17, 2010 Michelle Cristiani rated it really liked it
Though I'm a little unclear on the science of how a whole prison cell can get "Jokerized," I suspend my disbelief. I need to brush up on current superheroes, too. The story often had an asterix saying something like, "see Robin #178." Lots of backstory. But I enjoyed it all the same. I defy you to show me a cooler superhero than Batman. Oh, you think you know one. But you don't. Batman will beat you up if you keep talking like that. So just agree with me now before it's too late.
sixthreezy
Aug 13, 2013 sixthreezy rated it really liked it
Shelves: batman, dc
The story doesn't have a lot of substance but there is good humor and for Joker fans it's a must. Seeing all the "jokerized" villains is really cool, but there isn't a whole lot more to this than just Joker and his cronies vs. Bats and the JLA.. Gave 4 stars but more around a 3.5...
T.M. Carper
Oct 29, 2011 T.M. Carper rated it it was ok
Too many storylines and characters and the Joker just didn't feel too much like the Joker. It was all very supernatural. Not one of my favorites.
Shane
Jan 15, 2013 Shane rated it did not like it
Shelves: library-books
Dumb story + Terrible art = Stupid comic. Finishing this turd has made me a stronger person. Or maybe a dumber person.. I still don't know which.

Heather V  ~The Other Heather~
Oddly enough, while looking for appropriate images for this review, I happened across a "Batman For Beginners" website that had JOKER'S LAST LAUGH listed as a good place to start. It's odd because that was one of my complaints as I read it: very few people, save the harder-core-than-me diehards, will know who the hell half of the characters are in this book...because there are too damn many of them.

In no particular order, I give you a sampling of the characters you'll come across in this trade:
Wesley
Nov 18, 2012 Wesley rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, digital
My first digital comics read on my new tablet is this six part series from DC. The series writers were Chuck Dixon and Scott Beatty. There were numerous artists on the series: Pete Woods; Andrew Pepoy; Marcos Martin; Mark Farmer; Alvaro Lopez; Walter McDaniel; Andy Kuhn; Ron Randall; Rick Burchett; Mark Lipka; Dan Davis.

While incarcerated at the Slabside Penitentiary, the Joker is diagnosed with a terminal brain tumour. He reacts by inciting a riot and using the prison's own defences to "jokeriz
Rae
May 08, 2011 Rae rated it did not like it
Kirk Kiefer
Dec 28, 2012 Kirk Kiefer rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics-superhero
The thing about this book is that it is woefully incomplete. Heck, it's missing the FIRST PART OF THE STORY! Joker: Last Laugh was a huge DC-wide crossover, but this collection includes only the six issue miniseries. Dixon was also writing Birds of Prey, Robin, Nightwing, and the occasional JLA, all of which tie into Last Laugh and serve to make the story more enjoyable. He also wrote a Secret Files & Origins issue that served as the beginning of the story, which was also omitted.

So when re
Kassandra
Aug 18, 2015 Kassandra rated it liked it
3.5*
I liked the story, it was realistic to what I think the Joker would do in a situation like this.
I laughed and the story was interesting but I found that it jumped from character to character a little too much and it wasn't really newcomer friendly; someone who hadn't known about past events would have had trouble understanding a lot of the references used. I also found it annoying that it kept telling us to see other comics to get the whole picture instead of putting the whole story in one b
Allison
Sep 10, 2013 Allison rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Boots
Feb 03, 2013 Boots rated it did not like it
i'm going to pretend this one didn't happen.

too stupid, even for joker. whoever wrote this thing must have been smoking crack. if it were possible to rate it any lower, i would have as it sets any possible legitimacy for comics back at least a couple of decades. i'd be more forgiving if this was a one-shot that turned out to be a dream, but the fact that editors at dc actually okayed this as a considerable story arc is unforgivable.
Oliver Hodson
Mar 29, 2016 Oliver Hodson rated it it was ok
I can't really do joker-for-humour very much, and although this one did get funny at times, it's hard to laugh at as well. Especially with what's supposed to be a reasonably dramatic arc involving the joker, dick, and babs. That arc just gets completely trampled on by the search for zany humour, which just treats those characters as expendable and even a bit stupid.
Amanda Lyons
Apr 16, 2011 Amanda Lyons rated it did not like it
Gah the art actually got worse than it already was at the begining, then character designs and styles changed and the plot was hard to follow and damn I've never had a harder time with a Batman/Joker story!
Trent
Jul 12, 2014 Trent rated it it was ok
Ouch. Pretty darn horrible graphic novel, though the artwork is good. It's not a Batman story, it's carried mostly by the former Mister Miracle, Nightwing, and Oracle, with lots of DC cameos. And the story is ludicrous. Quite stupid, and the story is nothing but a red herring.
Jason
Jan 27, 2009 Jason rated it did not like it
Shelves: graphic-novels
It wasn't terrible but it didn't read like your typical batman graphic novel. Probably because it isn't, but as much as I like the Joker it didn't save this story from feeling like a drag to get through.
Jacqs
Jan 21, 2010 Jacqs rated it it was ok
I was anticipating this, but it was sub par, especially in comparison with your average Batman comic. There were some good moments, but overall the plot was too weak and the characters too pasted in for this to rank any higher.
Jacquline
Mar 28, 2015 Jacquline rated it it was ok
Didn't love. I like all the parts with the Bat-clan but the Joker scenes were jumbled and not terribly interesting.
Adrian
Sep 15, 2013 Adrian rated it it was ok
All flashy, colourful pictures of lasers and explosions, no story to back up the premise, strong though it may be. Not really my kind of Batman.
Kathleen
Feb 05, 2010 Kathleen rated it liked it
I kind of love the idea that the only thing keeping the Joker from destroying the whole planet is that he didn't want the fun to end. Giving him a terminal brain tumor was an excellent choice.
Erica Monroe
Apr 09, 2015 Erica Monroe rated it it was amazing
As much as I dislike Joker, Beatty and the great Dixon turn out a well rounded tale featuring many of my favorites in the Bat verse.
Javeria
Mar 20, 2015 Javeria rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-books, batfam
This is another amazing comic!!They cant get better they had lots of characters that you did not expect!definetly recommend!!!(:
Dan H.
May 21, 2013 Dan H. rated it it was ok
Story's pretty lame. Art would be better served by higher-quality coloring. It's hard to believe a book that was this big of an event for DC got such crappy finishing.
Eric Mikols
Dec 13, 2013 Eric Mikols rated it it was ok
Shelves: batman
No thanks, Chuck Dixon. This was too messy to be fun and had very little of either Batman or the Joker.
Ben
Aug 13, 2008 Ben rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-comics
It was O.k. I liked the idea and artwork but sometimes I had to force myself to read it which shouldn't happen with comics
Brian
Dec 13, 2008 Brian rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
With sooo many villains thrown in the mix (plus altered visually due to story elements) it would have been nice to have a glossary or who's who to consult.
  • Batman: Hush Returns
  • Batman: Batgirl
  • Batman: Child of Dreams
  • The Essential Batman Encyclopedia
  • Batman Confidential, Vol. 2: Lovers and Madmen
Charles "Chuck" Dixon is an American comic book writer, perhaps best-known for long runs on Batman titles in the 1990s.

His earliest comics work was writing Evangeline first for Comico Comics in 1984 (then later for First Comics, who published the on-going series), on which he worked with his then-wife, the artist Judith Hunt. His big break came one year later, when editor Larry Hama hired him to w
More about Chuck Dixon...

Batman (1 - 10 of 367 books)
  • The Batman Chronicles, Vol. 1