Start by marking “The Zoo on the Road to Nablus: A Story of Survival from the West Bank” as Want to Read:
The Zoo on the Road to Nablus: A Story of Survival from the West Bank

The Zoo on the Road to Nablus: A Story of Survival from the West Bank

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  12 reviews
The last Palestinian zoo stands on a dusty, dead-end street in the once prosperous farming town of Qalqilya, on the very edge of the West Bank. The zoo's bars are rusting; peacocks wander quiet avenues shaded by broad plane trees; a teenage baboon broods in solitary confinement; walls bear the pockmarks of gunfire. And yet the zoo is an extraordinary place, with a bizarre, ...more
Published April 22nd 2008 by PublicAffairs (first published January 11th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Zoo on the Road to Nablus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Zoo on the Road to Nablus

Heather Browning
A sweet and sad story about the valiant attempts of one man to set up an "international zoo" in conflict-torn Palestine. I found it a little difficult in the beginning to get used to the abrupt switches between the narrative and facts and history about zoos and particular animals, but by the end I enjoyed the little extra pieces of information.
Michael
This was an easy and pleasant read. It turns out really to be about the zoo and is not written as an allegory for the situation on the West Bank generally (which was what I was expecting). There are more background digressions about some of animals in the zoo than about the political situation.

The central character is the sympathetic vet who effectively runs the zoo, Dr. Sami - his travails are as much connected with the problems of dealing with stifling bureaucracy as anything else. Given the
This book was...incredible. Something in it truly struck a chord. At first, I really didn't know what to make of it, with its sad descriptions of animals in the Palestinian city Qalqilya that is practically a cage itself within the Israeli security fence. The crew of zookeepers seemed dedicated but apathetic, the heroic vet, Sami Khader, full of grand ideas but clueless. The almost macabre description of the vet's taxidermy side projects (stuffing any animals that died at the zoo) and placing th ...more
Kirsti
I read this book hoping there would be some kind of happy ending, but if that's what you're after, then read another animal book. This one leaves you depressed with reality, saddened by the cruelty of humanity. There is a glimmer of hope throughout the book in the form of the Zoo's veterinarian and all round organizer of pretty much everything, Sami. Somehow, I feel like he would keep the animals happy no matter what, but I can't find any more information on this Zoo after the book's publication ...more
Tami Lynn Andrew
It's hard for me to accurately rate this book because I spent the entire semester reading 5 pages here, 10 pages there--because of my limited time-- and then plowed through the last 150 pages the day classes ended (literally).
That being said, obviously the beginning felt very slow for me, but once it picked up (or rather, I picked IT up) I rather liked it. It's more documentary than novel, based on the true story of a Palestinian zoo keeper, but I found the random animal facts and zoo tidbits pr
Elizabeth
Very good book. Kind of disjointed story telling and the end is kind of sudden and unresolved. It is about the only Palestinian Zoo and its struggle to survive in a war torn area. It brings to light the ravages of war on the most innocent victims. Interesting take on the whole situation from a side that is not often heard hear in America.
Jacob
I expected this book to have a one-sided view of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, however, the author presents a wonderful, well-balanced story. Not only was this enjoyable, but the effort she puts into the history of the zoo and intertwines it with the general history of zoos is excellent.
Dawn
Life is hard in the West Bank, for both humans and animals. The dedication of Sami to the zoo is amazing and slightly sad at the same time. I hope that someday he can reach "international" standards, but I don't see it as likely to happen anytime soon.
What I mean by giving this book 4 stars is it makes me want to go to on a vacation to the West Bank to visit this zoo. Also it taught me that giraffes think toffee is delicious.
Emilie
I tried and I tried.
I just couldn't get interested in this story.
Some might love it, but it was not for me.
Linnae
Optimism in the face of unstable politics and unending setbacks. Made my goals seem more reachable.
Dan Smolar
Really moved me.
Highly recommended!
Jordyn Boettinger
Jordyn Boettinger marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Maddy Kooyman
Maddy Kooyman marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Raed Hammoudeh
Raed Hammoudeh marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2013
Arika Tolle
Arika Tolle marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2013
Amjad Muhsen
Amjad Muhsen marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2013
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2013
thatdriver41
thatdriver41 marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2013
Christine
Christine is currently reading it
Oct 26, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Lonely Planet Israel & the Palestinian Territories 132 Seize the Days Goa & Mumbai (Lonely Planet Guide) Lonely Planet Syria & Lebanon: Beirut Amesterdão (Lonely Planet City Guide)