Start by marking “Velvet Song” as Want to Read:
Velvet Song

Velvet Song (Velvet Montgomery Annuals Quadrilogy #3)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  6,395 ratings  ·  89 reviews

They were both outcasts by a harsh decree and on the brink of a shared destiny of passion!

With her father murdered, her home burned, lovely Alyx Blackelt fled to the woods and sanctuary in the camp of Raine Montgomery, a nobleman outlawed by the king's edict. There she hid her beauty in the guise of a boy, and her sorrow in her work as Montgomery's squire.

But how lon

Published June 1st 1990 by Pocket Books (first published 1983)

Lady Vigilante (Feifei)
2 stars!

description

Nothing infuriates me more when the author destroys my favorite character in a book, much less in a series. Champion of the underdog, Raine Montgomery is the main reason why I love the Velvet saga – his sense of honor and his unwavering loyalty and love for his family is what makes him my favorite Montgomery brother. With this book, however, Jude Deveraux has obliterated Raine’s character and I’m not sure I’ll be able to recover.

As we know from book 2, Raine has been banished by the king
Joy
Feb 19, 2011 Joy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Joy by: Johanie
Perhaps it's not that bad to have read this after Velvet Angel because there were a lot of overlapping events. Raine and Miles's story were happening simultaneously that I didn't mind not knowing what it's all about.

The beginning was slow and I had to force myself to read it and finish it but I just wasn't in the mood so I read a contemporary story, then I just set my mind to it and I couldn't stop reading when Alyx first stepped into Raine's camp dressed as a boy. There were a lot of recurring
Donna
Alyx Blackelt is not having an easy time. She had always been told her musical gifts were a blessing from God. She is off composing when the local nobleman sees her alone in an orchard and tries to rape her. She manages to get away but in revenge the nobleman breaks into her house, kills her father, burns the house to cover his crime, and then has her proscribed as a witch. The priest puts Alyx in male clothing and sends her off into the woods to a camp of freemen ruled by Raine Montgomery, a no ...more
joy in wonderland
Jan 21, 2009 joy in wonderland rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to joy in wonderland by: officemate
Shelves: romantic-novels
*currently-reading* comment:
am bored... first i thought the book is quite entertaining... fast faced (coz i just read "almost heaven" by judith mcnaught) so something refreshing to have this fast faced set up, but then i got... whatthe--- the two just fell in love!? did i miss a page? huh? really... i find all the set-up shallow (sigh) am not used to saying this stuff, coz me myself cant even write a book so who am i!? however i find it really disappointing, like am stuck here have to endure a
Tasha
So I am being nice w/my stars. I should only go with 2 3/4 but it's Deveraux and I couldn't bring myself to do it. I just really wasn't feeling this book. I liked Raine before I read this book. He was a wonderful brother-in-law to Judith in her other book. In this book he was an ill tempered jerk and I didn't get him at all. Then the whole singing thing and to have such a voice for the kind to beg you to come as his audience. Maybe that was the way of it then but it seemed really unlikely and ki ...more
Judith
Terrible story line! I liked Raine in the other books as a gentle soul who was more understanding than his stubborn brothers. Then in this book, he became a sulky nasty wife-beater who neglects his whole family. Blech! The other stories in the series were much better. I also was not a fan of Alyx. Whine, whine, shout shout... The "couple" fighting overpowered this novel. I was actually hoping Brian Chatworth was Raine in the duel and that it would just be a tragic story that would tidy up in the ...more
Wendy
Still a great read after all these years. Had me laughing, sighing and at times crying. If you love historical romances I suggest you start with book 1, and yes it will probably make you mad but still it's a great read as well. Then read the whole series and end with VELVET ANGEL. This is book 3 so keep in mind it is part of a series and they do need to be read in order. The characters are great, the plot is wonderful, the writing awesome and the overall appeal of the story outstanding. LOVED it ...more
Katerina
After reading Stephen's story in Highland Velvet(my favorite in this series), I think I set my expectations too high. Of the Montgomery brothers, after Stephen, Raine is my favorite. I loved him in Velvet Promise... he was so honorable and protective of Judith. I really like his character, but something about him was lost in this book. He kept taking pride and honor way too seriously in his treatment of Alyx.

Also, the whole love story between Raine and Alyx seemed rushed. The book could have be
Luvmyfamily
The only thing I didn't like was the background story. Mile's story was practically announced. I'm afraid there wont be much surprise in this next book. Raine really shouldn't have kept ignoring her but that seems to be the trend with these stories.
Hanife
Another awesome book is finished ! :D I love this book but not quite alike second book in the series :D And can't wait to read fifth ;) If you have passion for Alpha Male characters and good story :D you should read this series :)
Pam
If you love a story in which the heroine pretends to be a boy then you should read this. Highly recommended.
Niki
I love Jude Deveraux's books because they are fast, fun and easy to read romances.
KatieV
The story moved along and it was great to see characters from the other novels. As far as the saga goes, this is a must read. However, so far, this is my least favorite of the series in a romantic sense. I was disappointed about that, since I really liked Raine in the first two novels and was looking forward to his story.

I'm not a fan of the plain Jane heroine. And I'm not sure if that's even an accurate label here, but Deveraux seemed constantly confused with how to describe Alyx. You get the s
Jemma Gutierrez
I guess it's not fair to give it 2 stars; but i know id be lying to myself if id give it i-liked-it 3 stars.

WHat really did not work for me about this book is the heroine's total bluntness that made me cringe and how she gets really really self-concious around our hero; how she degrades herself and goes all im-ugly blah blah blah.

I was looking forward to this but the heroine ruined my impression. Most of the time she was judgemental, abrasive, calling woman 'slut', she lacks manner and class. S
J. Libby
The heroine disguised as a boy plot line has been much better used in other novels (Shakespeare not the least of which), and romance novels can treat the trope very well (Johanna Lindsey's Gentle Rogue, for example) but Jude Deveraux falls down on the job. As a whole, Highland Velvet is an underdeveloped novel. Concepts are thrown in and used so negligantly that they defeat the purpose of inclusion. Alyx as a boy, for example. Deveraux doesn't follow through on all of the fun that could have bee ...more
Maria Sanigan
I must say, although I haven't read the last of the Velvet Series which is the "Velvet Angel", that the Montgomery Brothers -Gavin, Stephen, Raine, and Miles - are indeed hard-headed, prideful, and really hot-headed people!!! Yes. They are knights who are noble and who wouldn't want their ego to be hurt. They wanted war abruptly than thinking of the future and what it will cost their beautiful family!

But then with this anger I have, I owe them a very important thing! I would not have cried a bu
Gardavson
I was disappointed with Raine's story. He had potential to be my favorite brother. Alyx, though, is a disappointment. There is nothing particularly interesting about her. Other than her ability to sing, she has no compelling qualities. I like her story, how she came to meet Raine, but I didn't think she was right for him. He's loves Judith, who is so strong, capable, and logical but falls for Alyx, who is none of these things. If Deveraux wanted to rewrite this story with a better heroine, I'll ...more
Alexis Apodaca
This actually the third in the velvet series. We follow Gavin and Stephens younger brother raine into the forest because he's been deemed a traitor by the king. He meets alyx, supposed to be a young boy as his squire... She's been outcast as a witch and has a reward on her head.

I loved this book, love seeing old friends from the previous two books. It's a lovely adventure through the forest and another brother takes your heart! This is the second time I've read this and finished it in less than
Jenika Ioffreda
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SPOILERS ALLERT!!!!!
Luckily this was not the first book I read by Jude Deveraux... I read a few books before so I know she is quite a good writer.
But this book was very bad and if it would have been my first by Ms Deveraux I would have refused to read anything else written by this author.
The characters kept behaving in a peculiar-pigheaded-frustrating way that didn't make much sense and especially didn't make them very inspiring characters.
And the ending was so hurried that ma
Sara
¿Por qué leer romance histórico? Porque estoy cansada, estresada y no me apetece complicarme pensando mucho... pero aún así hay estupideces que no soporto y me superan.
Tipico chica-no-bonita-para-canones-tradicionales que se suma al aún más tipico me-hago-pasar-por-chico con trauma de odio a los nobles y conoce al tipico noble-responsable-y-honorable metido en el tipico lio el-rey-me-ha-declarado-traidor... y el tipico me-desespera-pero-me-gusta.
Yo creo q lo que me hizo darle una estrella extra
Pamela(AllHoney)
The third in the "Velvet" series and the fourth in the Montgomery series by Jude Deveraux. A wonderful series set in Renaissance England. Raine Montgomery is declared a traitor by his king and hides in the woods. (Robin Hood? LOL) Alyx Blackelt is a young woman with the voice of an angel and on the run from a murdering nobleman. She is disguised as a boy and ends up with Raine and his group in the woods.
Alisha
Just as good as the 2 before, although I enjoyed the slight change in the story. Instead of taking place with Nobles and the constant feud between the main characters; the story takes place in a forest with Thieves, Murderers and Outcasts. Of course there was till a constant battle between the main characters, it was a nice bit of change. Enjoyed just as much as the others in the series.
Morgan
The Velvet Song was the second novel of Jude Deveraux's that I have read and I wasn't disappointed! Again like the first novel I read of Deveraux's, The Heiress, I read it in a day and loved the attraction between the two main characters, Proud Lord Raine Montgomery & the musically gifted Alyx!

I would dress up as a boy to be with Raine Montgomery!!

Martha
Ugh. Perhaps it was simply that I couldn't sympathize with a woman who had dedicated her entire life to music to the exclusion of anything else, but I did not like Alyx. She acted as if she were twelve; spoiled rotten and entirely self-absorbed. I couldn't possibly imagine her as 20, which made it seem very strange and almost gross that the fully grown Raine could love/desire her. We all have our faults, and I appreciate that Deveraux was attempting to make Alyx more realistic, but I found her ...more
Jody
Book 3 of the Velvet Series, Raine is the 3rd Montgomery brother and an outlaw I liken to Robin Hood. He falls in love with a poor musician, Alyxandria, who has disguised herself as a boy and hiding out with Raine's band of outlaws in the forest.
Dawn
Raine Montgomery, I just loved him in Highland Velvet and I thought I would love his story. It was okay. He being my favorite brother from this series deserved a little more. I thought they spent too much time apart.
Melissa
Forgot how much I hated this character. In the other books in the series, he's the character you like. In the book that focuses on him though, he's horrible. To abandon his wife and child is unacceptable.
Abi
Raine had potential to be my favorite brother, but I didn't love the way his character is portrayed. He seemed much kinder in the earlier books. Did love the horseback riding scene, though!
Buddy Reread ~ Lady Vigilante & Camaro 03/07/14 34 13 Jul 06, 2014 08:37AM
  • Simple Gifts: Just Curious / Miracles / Change of Heart / Double Exposure (Westmoreland, #3.5)
  • Defy Not the Heart (Shefford's Knights, #1)
  • The Dragon Lord
  • Warrior's Song (Medieval Song, #1)
  • By Possession (Medieval #1)
Jude Gilliam was born September 20, 1947 in Fairdale, Kentucky. She has a large extended family and is the elder sister of four brothers. She attended Murray State University and received a degree in Art. In 1967, Jude married and took her husband's surname of White, but four years later they divorced. For years, she worked as 5th-grade teacher.

She began writing in 1976, and published her first bo
More about Jude Deveraux...

Velvet Montgomery Annuals Quadrilogy (4 books)
  • The Velvet Promise
  • Highland Velvet
  • Velvet Angel
A Knight in Shining Armor The Black Lyon (Montgomery/Taggert #1) The Velvet Promise Highland Velvet Velvet Angel