Start by marking “Gods of Aberdeen: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Gods of Aberdeen: A Novel

Gods of Aberdeen: A Novel

3.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  144 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
A haunting novel about a brilliant young man who enrolls at a small New England college and becomes entangled in a mysterious death -- and the ultimate scientific quest. Eric Dunne is a sixteen-year-old academic phenom. Desperate to escape his foster family, Eric graduates early from high school and earns a scholarship to Aberdeen College, a small, prestigious school in no ...more
Published July 27th 2007 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Gods of Aberdeen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gods of Aberdeen

Johnny
Jun 22, 2012 Johnny rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Some of us have a warped idea of ivy-covered private colleges in the Northeast. At least, I hope my idea of spoiled rich kids driving cars that cost more than my 401K and spending more time partying than researching is distorted. But the perspective in Gods of Aberdeen matches my preconceived notions. Even worse, the novel manages to take an underage inner-city orphan who has excelled due to both natural acumen and work ethic and turn him into a drunken, drug-ingesting, sexually promiscuous part ...more
Chocolateandbooks
Nonostante io abbia in casa, decine e decine di libri ancora da leggere e continuo a comprarne, talvolta mi ritrovo a girovagare per la Biblioteca del mio paese (come se mi mancassero libri da leggere) e trovo sempre qualcosa che attira la mia attenzione.. ditemi che non sono l'unica matta a collezionare libri da leggere e aggiungerne di nuovi, presi anche in prestito, anche se non ho davvero il bisogno xD

Questa volta il libro che ha attirato la mia attenzione è stato "L'ultimo Alchimista", l'ho
Oscura
Apr 27, 2014 Oscura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Non c'entra niente... Devo dire che il libro mi è piaciuto abbastanza anche se non c'entra nulla con il titolo e la recensione del risvolto di copertina, infatti è un testo sul disagio giovanile di un ragazzo che si trova ammesso in un'importante università e soprattutto in un gruppo di studenti eccezionali (di cui subisce il fascino malsano) e non ha ancora il carattere e la maturità per accettare il suo posto nel mondo e soprattutto prendersi delle responsabilità. Incidentalmente parla anche d ...more
Lindsay
Sep 30, 2008 Lindsay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up at a library's friends book store, mostly intrigued if it was set in Aberdeen, Scotland. It is not.
Anyway, I'm a sucker for any coming of age book and/or books set in small college towns. Needless to say, I finished it in one sitting.
If you need a book for a 2 hour plane ride, this is for you.
Or maybe a few rides on the subway?
I don't know. I really liked it.
Rick Ross
Feb 18, 2009 Rick Ross rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: literary hounds
Crazy about this book. Never tire of coming-of-age novels and this does more than the average. Good characters and a satisfying, deep narrative.
Nilo Di Stefano
Jan 30, 2011 Nilo Di Stefano rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tra altri e bassi
Primo libro dell'autore de L' ultimo alchimista e devo dire che e' un romanzo scritto bene, intrigante in molti punti, che pero' sono stati poco approfonditi. Ottime le descrizioni dei vari ambienti in cui la storia si svolge ed anche i personaggi sono ben caretterizzati.
Credo che il libro sia pero' un po' inconcludente e le parti migliori lasciate un po' sospese , mentre si avverte una certa ridondanza quando si parla di certe tematiche. Dilungarsi spesso non equivale ad appro
Gordon Ehler
First novel I have read from author Micah Nathan. Eric, the "very smart for his age" lead character becomes embroiled with an eccentric group of students searching for the Philosopher's Stone, or so they think.
I persevered through the book and found it mildly entertaining. Can't get too excited about it and probably wouldn't recommend it. Too many other choices.
Eloise
Dec 08, 2014 Eloise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Crushed hard on Art, not so much on Eric. The cat can write. Hot Damn. Middle a bit slow, worth getting through.
Somer Canon
Jun 23, 2015 Somer Canon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very good book. If I have any criticisms at all, it's just that some parts seemed a bit overly indulgent. It's a minor thing, as I really did enjoy this book.
Marco Caprari
Feb 28, 2014 Marco Caprari rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
L'ultimo alchimista
Joanne
Jan 10, 2008 Joanne rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Is so much like _The Secret History_ and _Special Topics in Calamity Physics_ that I was mentally shouting, "No, no, no," to the narrator from the beginning. He's a brilliant orphan attending an elite college on scholarship. He's taken up by rich smart peers working on a special project who also have a secret hobby of alchemy, involving mysterious texts and hallucinogens and forest purification rites and there's a lot of sexual tension and a death...you get the picture.
Allison
May 02, 2008 Allison rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
the author seems competant enough when it comes to writing, it's just such a shame that the story itself feels like such a milque toast version of donna tarte's 'a secret history'. so much so that i couldn't even get more than 100 pages in before giving up out of boredom. i like to give the benefit of the doubt however and chalk this up to perhaps the author having this idea previous to THS or simply his ignorance of TSH... still, very unfortunate.
Embla
Dec 31, 2013 Embla rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Trama interessante, un po' simile all'inarrivabile (almeno finora, per quanto mi riguarda) "Il Dio di Illusioni" della Tartt, ma purtroppo la resa narrativa è ben al di sotto delle aspettative. Lentezza e una debole caratterizzazione dei personaggi fanno sì che il libro non decolli e non riesca a catturare l'attenzione o a coinvolgere sufficientemente.
Abbie
Jul 07, 2008 Abbie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
it started off with an interesting premise, but soon began to lag. i kept thinking, wait, it'll get better, but it really didn't. the climax was lacking, and i felt it was a waste of time. the author was a great writer, it was the story that was poor.
Nancy
Jan 29, 2012 Nancy rated it it was ok
An very bright young orphan works his way into Aberdeèn college with his talent for languages. Typical coming of age type story thrown in with mysteries and murder. Interesting characters, fellow students and the surrounding adults. OK story.
Iris
Gods of Aberdeen was better than i expected it to be.......very similar to The Secret History. Good smooth read with a little twist of mystery in it. i would recommend it - but if you can - pick it up used, bargain, or at the library.
Helen
Feb 16, 2010 Helen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was interesting to be reminded that even very smart people do very dumb things...in life as well as in stories. It kept me entertained for a couple of days.
Brett
Oct 17, 2013 Brett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is what you'd get if you crossed an updated version of Frankenstein with a Dan Brown book that was actually well written, and then covered it with ivy.
Paula
Sep 05, 2012 Paula rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

This book is a lesser version of The Secret History. I could not believe how similar they were in all plot points. It was uncanny, almost like a first draft.....
Natalie
Sep 26, 2012 Natalie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I finished this a few days ago so it's less fresh in my head but overall it was pretty good. Parts were weird, parts were slow, but I enjoyed it.
Thom
Started slow, middle caught my attention and really drew me in. The end was disappointing and overall, the book really left me wanting more.
Veronique Varchi
Mar 26, 2015 Veronique Varchi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
noioso

A due terzi del libro, la trama proprio non decollava. un libro non può farmi aspettare tanto prima di ingranare.
Marie Vasquez
Jan 17, 2011 Marie Vasquez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this after "Losing Graceland" (which I loved) and I could not put it down. Heady at times but perfectly atmospheric.
Scott
Apr 12, 2013 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Interesting to read a book by an author you knew as a child. I liked it, and now I'm off to find more.
Thorne Clark
Fun read. More references to "cable-knit sweaters" in one place than I've ever seen before.
Jessica Waltera
Dec 08, 2013 Jessica Waltera rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightful. Bought this years ago and forgot I owned it. Thank God for cleaning out the closet!
RJ
Jul 22, 2012 RJ rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Starting to get bored with this. And I'm worried about the dog. Don't think I will finish.
Pat
Dec 13, 2012 Pat rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Lots of loose ends and unsupportable story settings and character antics.
Séamas
Jul 19, 2012 Séamas rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Empezó bien pero al final mucho ruido y pocas nueces.
Leslie
Jan 13, 2008 Leslie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit slow moving but a good story
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Privilege: Harvard and the Education of the Ruling Class
  • La Piedra de las Lágrimas (La Espada de la Verdad, #3)
  • The Shape Of Sand
  • The Sign: The Shroud of Turin and the Secret of the Resurrection
  • Every Secret Thing
  • Winslow in Love
  • Alma Mater: A College Homecoming
  • Saving Mozart
  • A Tenured Professor
  • A Christmas Collection: The Greatest Gift/ Falling Stars/ The Scent of Snow/ Footsteps in the Snow
  • Windchill Summer
  • The Fourth Star: Dispatches from Inside Daniel Boulud's Celebrated New York Restaurant
  • Cold Rain
  • Count Down: Six Kids Vie for Glory at the World's Toughest Math Competition
  • Halfway Heaven: Diary of a Harvard Murder
  • The Prayer Chest: A Novel About Receiving All of Life's Riches
  • Cookoff: Recipe Fever in America
  • Don't Follow Me, I'm Lost: A Memoir of Hampshire College in the  Twilight of the '80s
Best-selling novelist, frequent contributor to Vanity Fair, Paris Review, et al.
More about Micah Nathan...