Start by marking “Cavalryman of the Lost Cause: A Biography of J. E. B. Stuart” as Want to Read:
Cavalryman of the Lost Cause: A Biography of J. E. B. Stuart

Cavalryman of the Lost Cause: A Biography of J. E. B. Stuart

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Cavalryman of the Lost Cause is the first major biography in decades of the famous Confederate general J. E. B. Stuart. Based on research in manuscript collections, personal memoirs and reminiscences, and regimental histories, this comprehensive volume reflects outstanding Civil War scholarship.

James Ewell Brown Stuart was the premier cavalry commander of the Confederacy...more
Published September 23rd 2008 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Cavalryman of the Lost Cause, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cavalryman of the Lost Cause

Joyce
A great biography of Jeb Stuart, this book is more about Stuart and not so much about the civil war battles although you can't really separate the two. I really enjoyed the book and its nice to be reading some non fiction especially since I'm so interested in the Civil War. I cried when Jeb was shot even though he's been dead for 146 years! Next book I'll read will be on Robert E. Lee.
Patrick
Stuart was audacious but overrated. Forrest and several Union cavalry leaders were better. Well researched and written.

Publishers Weekly Review:
Wert (The Sword of Lincoln) adds to his status as a top-ranking Civil War scholar in this excellent biography of the Confederacy's best-known cavalry general. Jeb Stuart's reputation has faded somewhat in recent years, particularly for his alleged failures during the Gettysburg campaign. Wert integrates comprehensive archival and printed sources to descr...more
Steve
Good read on the life of Confederate general James Ewell Brown "Jeb" Stuart. He led cavalry operations in some of the battles that were fought in the Civil War. Both General Lee and Jackson utilized Jeb Stuart's cavalry. This also tells of what life was like for a cavalry soldier in the Confederate Army. An Interesting side note, Stuart was working on developing a saber hook or a method to improve attaching a saber to belts. He was later shot and died of his wounds during the Battle at Yellow Ta...more
Cindy
Excellent!
Eric
I really enjoyed this book. It has been a LONG time since I have read a biography for pleasure. It was recommended by a friend on another forum so I decided to try it. I do like the civil war and I like to read about it, especially the southern generals. It was a good read that kept me entertained and also taught me a few things about General Stuart.
Chad
Interesting biography of J.E.B. Stuart from his early years to his death. His marriage, realtionships to Jackson and Robert E. Lee and his rivalries all paint an all too human portrait of a man who I previously never knew.
Jeffrey Belcher
I have always known the basics of Jeb Stuart, but this book gave extensive insight to the man. Not only aspects of the war that I hadn't quite known, but of the man. Good must read for anyone interested in the Civil War.
Cindy
This handsome soldier was another waste of life in a war that had to be. He was an interesting soul and had a lot in common with Stonewall Jackson. Interesting book, great time line info.
Avis Black
If you like a junior-high-level biography written by an author who thinks it's dangerous to trust his readers with too much knowledge or let them think for themselves, go ahead.
Amy
I love all things about the civil war, but I tried & tried and just couldn't get into this book.
jingles
jingles marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Keith
Keith marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Todd
Todd marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Greg
Greg added it
Jun 17, 2014
Garry R.
Garry R. marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
General James Longstreet: The Confederacy's Most Controversial Soldier Mosby's Rangers Gettysburg, Day Three The Sword of Lincoln: The Army of the Potomac Custer