Suffer the Little Children

Suffer the Little Children

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Clutching her eight-week-old sister in her arms, Frances Reilly was abandoned by her mother outside the gates of The Poor Sisters of Nazareth Convent. It was Christmas morning 1956 and Frances was 2 years old. For the next 13 years Frances experienced institutionalized cruelty under the care of her new guardians: she was beaten, raped, and molested on numerous occasions. T...more
Published January 1st 2009 by Orion Publishing (first published November 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Suffer the Little Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Suffer the Little Children

Marc Corn
As I reflect through my notes on this book, I feel the overwhelming to get something off my chest about this book, but I'll retain my composure and explain my review calmly. These girls put trust in the nuns who cared for them, and that was totally dashed once they abused their position as a nun. While you read this book, you will feel many emotions. You will feel everything poor Frances goes through, and in some ways you will feel the urge that you need to help her.

As the story continues, you w...more
Luisa
This book was okay. I have read several memoires of terrible childhoods before and that's probably the reason why throughout the whole book I had the feeling that I had heard this story before. If you're reading this genre for the first time, you'll definitely love the book and warm towards author Reilly.
However, no matter how many memoires one can read, one can never tire of thinking and saying out loud "It has to stop" - whoever the tormentors are.
Roxyravenheart
I liked this book very much. It was very interesting, i felt so sorry for Frances and all the pain she had to endure in that terrible convent. Beatings were daily and extreme. The nuns saw her as the devil child and tormented her. Luckily she found the courage to stand through her pain, with her sisters by her side. This is a very moving sotry and once I started I couldn't put it down.
geroge
book full of questions that need to be answered.most of the story's belong to other children much older than frances.frances was alway's protected by her big sister.nazareth house was not as bad as this book make's it out to be.
Germanio Puglio
This story is so sad. It made me think that the girls suffered horribly and no one cared for them. The religious orders stole these children to profit off of state money and they were treated worse than slaves.
Gabriela Francisco
Spent the early years of my schooling growing up with nuns. They can truly be some of the cruelest people around. This book is a very disturbing account of how it was to grow up in an orphanage run by nuns.
Chanel Du
This book truley stunns. it is shocking to see what people did and still do under the protection of a church
Kivalina Gwynn
So sad I like this type of books.Very sad and really tugs at heart
Sue
oh, merp. awful things happened. but is over now.
Janet Scanlan
So depressing...I can't believe this used to happen.
Alyssa Bellows
Alyssa Bellows is currently reading it
Sep 14, 2014
Julia Thornton
Julia Thornton marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Theresa
Theresa marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Elaine
Elaine added it
Jul 18, 2014
Amanda Tarantino
Amanda Tarantino marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Esther
Esther marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
William Larmour
William Larmour marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Diabelskie nasienie Suffer The Little Children: The True Story of an Abused Convent Upbringing