Start by marking “Suffer the Little Children” as Want to Read:
Suffer the Little Children

Suffer the Little Children

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  106 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Clutching her eight-week-old sister in her arms, Frances Reilly was abandoned by her mother outside the gates of The Poor Sisters of Nazareth Convent. It was Christmas morning 1956 and Frances was 2 years old. For the next 13 years Frances experienced institutionalized cruelty under the care of her new guardians: she was beaten, raped, and molested on numerous occasions. T ...more
Published January 1st 2009 by Orion Publishing (first published November 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Suffer the Little Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Suffer the Little Children

Sep 05, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I got a copy of this book at a book club meet up where everyone brought a book with them and swapped it for a book they hadn't read. I actually had my eye on To Kill A Mocking Bird but it had gone before I could get to it. Out of all the books left this one actually appealed to me more.

I have read a lot of books on abuse but this one was quite different to the usual books I have read, the abuse is at the hands usually by a family member but the majority of mental and physical abuse in Suffer the
Marc Corn
Aug 11, 2013 Marc Corn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-it
As I reflect through my notes on this book, I feel the overwhelming to get something off my chest about this book, but I'll retain my composure and explain my review calmly. These girls put trust in the nuns who cared for them, and that was totally dashed once they abused their position as a nun. While you read this book, you will feel many emotions. You will feel everything poor Frances goes through, and in some ways you will feel the urge that you need to help her.

As the story continues, you w
Emma Slaughter
Mar 03, 2015 Emma Slaughter rated it really liked it
A harrowing true story about the authors suffering at the hands of nuns. Her treatment, and the treatment of other girls at the convent, was nothing short of barbaric. The only thing that I would have liked was a more extended epilogue, purely as I would have liked to see justice prevail. I would also like to read more about the authors life after she got out, similar to Dave Pelzer.
Luisa
May 30, 2011 Luisa rated it liked it
This book was okay. I have read several memoires of terrible childhoods before and that's probably the reason why throughout the whole book I had the feeling that I had heard this story before. If you're reading this genre for the first time, you'll definitely love the book and warm towards author Reilly.
However, no matter how many memoires one can read, one can never tire of thinking and saying out loud "It has to stop" - whoever the tormentors are.
Roxyravenheart
Oct 13, 2011 Roxyravenheart rated it really liked it
I liked this book very much. It was very interesting, i felt so sorry for Frances and all the pain she had to endure in that terrible convent. Beatings were daily and extreme. The nuns saw her as the devil child and tormented her. Luckily she found the courage to stand through her pain, with her sisters by her side. This is a very moving sotry and once I started I couldn't put it down.
geroge
Mar 25, 2009 geroge rated it did not like it
book full of questions that need to be answered.most of the story's belong to other children much older than frances.frances was alway's protected by her big sister.nazareth house was not as bad as this book make's it out to be.
Germanio Puglio
Aug 17, 2013 Germanio Puglio rated it it was amazing
This story is so sad. It made me think that the girls suffered horribly and no one cared for them. The religious orders stole these children to profit off of state money and they were treated worse than slaves.
Gabriela Francisco
Apr 12, 2013 Gabriela Francisco rated it liked it
Spent the early years of my schooling growing up with nuns. They can truly be some of the cruelest people around. This book is a very disturbing account of how it was to grow up in an orphanage run by nuns.
Chanel Du
Feb 18, 2013 Chanel Du rated it it was amazing
This book truley stunns. it is shocking to see what people did and still do under the protection of a church
Miranda Stone
Dec 05, 2014 Miranda Stone rated it really liked it
Absolutely heartbreaking.
Kivalina Gwynn
Jun 24, 2013 Kivalina Gwynn rated it it was amazing
So sad I like this type of books.Very sad and really tugs at heart
Sue
Apr 08, 2011 Sue rated it it was ok
oh, merp. awful things happened. but is over now.
Janet Scanlan
Aug 20, 2012 Janet Scanlan rated it it was ok
So depressing...I can't believe this used to happen.
Agnieszka
Agnieszka rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2016
Laurie
Laurie rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2016
Jess Houghton
Jess Houghton rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2016
Ashe
Ashe rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2016
Lisa
Lisa added it
Jul 01, 2016
Nancy
Nancy rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2016
Susan Schwartz
Susan Schwartz rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2016
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Emmalee
Emmalee rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2016
Janet brown
Janet brown is currently reading it
May 17, 2016
Diana
Diana rated it really liked it
May 09, 2016
Catherine Brereton
Catherine Brereton rated it liked it
May 01, 2016
Nicky Wuollet
Nicky Wuollet rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2016
Linda Jensen
Linda Jensen marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
angie
angie marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Wendy
Wendy rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2016