Start by marking “Karlology” as Want to Read:
Karlology

Karlology

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  1,117 ratings  ·  90 reviews
Drawing from visits to national museums, galleries and places of cultural interest, Karl Pilkington explores the world of knowledge from his own unique viewpoint. Read his irreverent exploration of each subject, approached with his inimitable combination of innocent wonder and cheeky wisdom.
Published November 17th 2008 by DK ADULT (first published October 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Karlology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Karlology

Matthew
Karl Pilkington is one of a kind. He is both an idiot and a genius.

He's an "idiot" in the same way an innocent child is an idiot: he lacks some 'book smarts' and occasionally makes uninformed statements which could, conceivably, cause offense to those who are overly sensitive. BUT it's all very endearing because he's so genuine and well-intentioned. His idiocy is a product of him being a simple guy and wanting to stay in his comfort zone.

He's a genius because of his one-of-a-kind perspective on
Brian Stanton
Very funny and stupid in equal measures. Karl's theories and thoughts on the world and his stories are brilliant. From the state of his school and education, to his observation of his holiday rep trying to sell him day trips to the leather shop and the cheese shop Karl is brilliantly funny. Definitely worth a read and it won't take you long.
Lisa
Jan 26, 2013 Lisa rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lisa by: Brian Stanton
Karl Pilkington, the nation's favourite idiot, attempts to expand his knowledge and mostly comes up flummoxed.

As funny as it is stupid, this provided welcome relief after some rage-making reading material with me interrupting my boyfriend at least once every couple of pages to read stuff out to him, sniggering all the while.
Mohammad Ali Abedi
As he always proclaimed on the radio show and the podcast, Karl is into knowledge. He loves knowledge. Sure, it just usually seems to be interest facts he here, and sure, most of them might sometimes not be true, and if true, it usually becomes misshaped in his head after he hears it, that it bears little resemblance to the actual fact.

But so what.

Getting knowledge from Karl might not be 100% truth, but it is certainly more enjoyable than knowledge from other sources. This book of his is about h
Graham Watts
Loved hearing the inner workings of Karl's mind and his unique and honest outlook on life - very enjoyable book
Son of Sam Quixote
This is Karl's third book! He's written as many books as he's read! Well, he's done it again. Another corking book filled with the drivel we've all come to love to read on the can.

Some of the genius is missing as Ricky and Steves' voices are absent and when the three are together the drivel reaches bold new heights of idiocy. But Karl's lone voice speaking his theories uninterrupted without Ricky's voice saying "Karl, Karl, Karl - where did you get this from? What do you mean the monkey drove t
Anita
I wasn't sure what to expect. I love the various series featuring Pilkington (An Idiot Abroad, The Moaning of Life), so gave this a try. I was pleasantly surprised! Pilkington's odd way of looking at the world and strange leaps of "logic" caused me to laugh out loud more than once. And have given me a lot of examples of logical fallacies (hasty generalization, false analogy, false cause) to use in my teaching.
Tim Williams
Karl is funny. Not sure that he ever means to be but that's OK. Others know and put him out for our enjoyment. The book suffers from being like a really rich piece of cake. You just can't sit down and read it in one pass. You ave to take little bites and spread them out. What makes a lot of the TV and podcasts work so well, and where this book comes up short, is Gervais and Merchant always questioning Karl's statements and stories. It helps to keep you from getting over-saturated in the crazines ...more
Carrie
This book is a riot. The only complaint I had was there was too much British jargon that I wish was explained a little bit more for readers not of Karl's culture. This book is more thought provoking than one might imagine, filled with trivia and quite humorous.
Annie
I love him! The only reason why I gave 5 stars is because during some of his rants, my mind wandered. Don't read it if you're not a fan of his. Some of his comments or insight make no sense and some are shockingly brilliant.
ciaochow
"All the restaurants in Chinatown try to tempt you in by dangling food in their windows, but the problem is, their window display skills aren't the best. They just seem to hang up all their food stock, to the point that you can't see in the place. It's like they use the squids for curtains. Some of the chickens have been hanging there for that long that they have a tan. The Chinese offer some really odd stuff to eat - scorpions, crispy spiders, snake meat and battered bugs. You'd feel daft compl ...more
Mark Oconnor
I had previously read "Happyslapped by a Jellyfish" and while this is not quite as good, it is still a more enjoyable read than his first book which is merely transcripts from the Ricky Gervais show. Even though Karl's observations and ridiculous thought processes are completely inane I find myself laughing time and time again, particularly when he starts talking about brains originating on another world! He invariably follows this sort of wild speculation with the phrase "It's just a theory", s ...more
Aj
I think I would have enjoyed this more if I read it before watching An Idiot Abroad, as a lot of his musings and jokes are reused in the series.
Tyler Taylor
Karl Pilkington is probably my favorite human being, so there's no way I wouldn't love this. If you haven't heard him before, this book probably isn't for you. If you know and love him, this is exactly what you would expect and exactly what you need.
James Alston
Simple this one - if you love Karl Pilkington's Idiot Abroad series then you'll love this book. If not then probably don't bother!
Fay
I absolutely love Karl Pilkington, and have ever since An Idiot Abroad. I do admit to never reading any of his books, but after reading this one I am eager to read more.

I love this book. Some of his points are absolutely pointless and silly, but I am afraid to admit I actually agreed to some of these points. I feel like we are the same person, which is scary, because truly, Pilkington is a weird idiot.

I loved the graphics in the novel, they made me laugh so much. I also loved the facts at the en
Leona Storey
Funny, lighthearted and humorous. Pilkington has such an odd way of looking at the world, and despite the bad grammar and punctuation, it really does make you think about some of the stupid things in the world. Would easily recommend to any fellow fan of this comedian!
*givemeallthetacos*
Karl decides he wants to broaden his intellectual horizons. And so, through a series of events (including trips to a dinosaur museum, the zoo, the tate modern and even a library) he is able to present us with this light hearted and funny insight into his own head.
I find the funniest thing about Karl is his insistence on featuring material about the irrelevant things that occur around him during his quest for knowledge. Odd situations and strange people seem to punctuate his life! More so, Karls
Rizwan
Karl is amazing. So Ricky and Steve often make fun of the fact that he is an idiot, and thus this book is a diary of his attempts in educating himself. And it is informative - well not his misinformed dribble or quick judgments, but he has little pages of contributions from other celebrities some of which did teach me a few new things.

And Karl as usual is hilarious. Definitely recommend it if you are a fan of Karl. There is a 20 minute special too that goes along with this about his MENSA test a
Lewis Mccann
In my opinion, Karl Pilkington is one of the funniest men alive today.
Sometimes, the stuff he comes out with is cringeworthy, sometimes he says things that are too ludicrous to be unscripted, but regardless, the 'bald-headed buffoon' definitely makes it into my celebrity dinner party list!
This book is full of insights, quips and comments I think Karl doesn't even realise are funny, and it's great to get a glimpse into how his brain works!
Matt
Loved this book the only annoy thing is I found myself reading it in his voice ha ha!
Tons of Karlisms in the book and I often find myself agreeing with his thoughts and opinions on things! The history section and the art exhibition where probably 2 of my favourite bits along with his description of his school days! If your a fan of Karl or an idiot abroad read this book!
Sarah78
I adore Karl Pilkington. His books and his way of thinking make me laugh out loud while reading...which is something that rarely occurs for me. This book received 3 stars instead of 4 or 5 because I'd heard most of these stories in the podcasts/other books/Ricky Gervais show on HBO. While some of them still made me chuckle, I found myself looking forward to the next book in my stack to read rather than really connecting with this. Overall though, Karl is wonderful and will make you at least smil ...more
Gemma Ireland
You can tell its one of the first. Still good though.
Brades Thompson m
Mindless, laugh-out-loud book that I thoroughly enjoyed
Sara
I LOVE Karl Pilkington. And while I really enjoyed this book, most of the material is from The Ricky Gervais Show - I've heard almost all the podcasts, so I've heard a great deal of what was written here before. That being said, it's still wonderful, hilarious stuff and I love how simple Karl is. His views on things are amusing, to say the least. The distinctively English manner that Karl uses in his speech/writing is also a great change from the norm!
Roxanne
There will never be a time when i find Karl Pilkington boring he's just a genius in his own simple way. Really funny book, most of the stuff you have heard him say in the podcasts but its still funny, the random stuff he comes out with, you dunno whether its delusion or genius. The fact he quotes Cher in this book pretty much sums up Karl Pilkington, funny read, deff get it.
Christian Vogan
Quick, fun read. Not a masterpiece, but not shite either.
Jonathan Hockey
Not really as much to this book as I was expecting. He basically just says the same things over and over again that he has repeated many times on the xfm show and the podcast with Ricky Gervais and Steven Merchant. This approach only keeps your interest so long and I was expecting a deeper level of insight in the book, but it simply isn't there.
bigmuzz
this book was ok, but because i read it directly after "the world of karl pilkington" i felt it suffered with my preconceived notions of hilarity because of how funny that book was. karlology was humourous and all, but maybe not as good as the previous one or the podcasts themselves. still definitely worth a look tho for fans.
Amanda Day
I like Karl, he makes me laugh a lot. This book is pretty much what I expected: A window into his mind. The thing is his mind seems to rotate between funny, quite insightful.... and a bit dull. After about half way I skim read the rest. It's a light read, and not as funny as I had hoped, but worth it for Karl fans.
  • The Ricky Gervais Show - First, Second and Third Seasons
  • Me Moir - Volume One
  • The Hell of It All
  • American Freak Show: The Completely Fabricated Stories of Our New National Treasures
  • Encyclopedia of Urban Legends
  • I, Partridge: We Need to Talk About Alan
  • The Call of the Weird: Travels in American Subcultures
  • Cast Member Confidential: A Disneyfied Memoir
  • How Not to Read: Harnessing the Power of a Literature-Free Life
  • If You Loved Me You'd Think This Was Cute: Uncomfortably True Cartoons About You
  • Even More Ketchup than Salsa: The Final Dollop (More Ketchup, #2)
  • Family Guy and Philosophy
  • America Unchained: A Freewheeling Roadtrip In Search Of Non-Corporate USA
  • The Dark Side of Disney
  • George Orwell
  • This Mitchell and Webb Book
  • The Pythons Autobiography by The Pythons
  • Born to Kill: The Rise and Fall of America's Bloodiest Asian Gang
Karl Pilkington is a Sony Award-winning English radio producer, poet, podcaster, raconteur and author, best known for producing and co-presenting The Ricky Gervais Show on London radio station Xfm from 2001 to 2005 and later in the form of podcasts and a television show on HBO. In October 2006, Pilkington's first book The World of Karl Pilkington was published, featuring original ideas and drawing ...more
More about Karl Pilkington...
An Idiot Abroad: The Travel Diaries of Karl Pilkington Happyslapped by a Jellyfish: The Words of Karl Pilkington Ricky Gervais Presents: The World of Karl Pilkington The Further Adventures of An Idiot Abroad The Moaning of Life: The Worldly Wisdom of Karl Pilkington

“There are more idiots in the world than bright ones, but it’s the odd good one that makes a big difference.” 3 likes