Start by marking “Karlology” as Want to Read:
Karlology

Karlology

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,628 Ratings  ·  112 Reviews
Karl Pilkington's third book, follow-up to bestselling The World of Karl Pilkington and Happyslapped by a Jellyfish, is a voyage through some of the most curious facts and fictions about our world. Drawing on what little he learned during his days of education, Karl explores the world of knowledge through a school curriculum, with chapters devoted to biology, history, art, ...more
Published November 17th 2008 by DK (first published October 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Karlology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Karlology

Mia
Feb 02, 2015 Mia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I think the problem with this book is, in order to appreciate Karl's humour, you probably have to have listened to the Ricky Gervais podcasts or the old Xfm radio shows, but if you HAVE listened to those, you probably will have already heard most of the anecdotes/contemplations in this book. There were a few things I really did enjoy though:

- The additional "What I've learnt" tidbits from people such as Noel Fielding, Russell Brand, etc.
- The illustrations
- The whimsical format
- The addition fro
Atti
Mar 29, 2015 Atti rated it really liked it
I like reading Karl's thoughts and perspectives of different concepts. It was a very funny book.
Jay Kerr
Nov 06, 2015 Jay Kerr rated it liked it
Karl Pilkington is a fascinating human being. After listening to every XFM show he produced with Ricky Gervais and Steven Merchant, I moved onto the globally popular podcasts they created shortly after they left XFM in 2005. After this, I scrounged up every interview, mini-podcast, and video blog I could find in which Karl could be found. Finally, I moved onto written media. Karlology is that book.

If you're a fan of the radio shows or podcasts, but haven't read this book, add it to your to-do li
Matthew
Aug 18, 2014 Matthew rated it really liked it
Karl Pilkington is one of a kind. He is both an idiot and a genius.

He's an "idiot" in the same way an innocent child is an idiot: he lacks some 'book smarts' and occasionally makes uninformed statements which could, conceivably, cause offense to those who are overly sensitive. BUT it's all very endearing because he's so genuine and well-intentioned. His idiocy is a product of him being a simple guy and wanting to stay in his comfort zone.

He's a genius because of his one-of-a-kind perspective on
Brian Stanton
Jan 17, 2013 Brian Stanton rated it liked it
Very funny and stupid in equal measures. Karl's theories and thoughts on the world and his stories are brilliant. From the state of his school and education, to his observation of his holiday rep trying to sell him day trips to the leather shop and the cheese shop Karl is brilliantly funny. Definitely worth a read and it won't take you long.
Lisa
Jan 26, 2013 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lisa by: Brian Stanton
Karl Pilkington, the nation's favourite idiot, attempts to expand his knowledge and mostly comes up flummoxed.

As funny as it is stupid, this provided welcome relief after some rage-making reading material with me interrupting my boyfriend at least once every couple of pages to read stuff out to him, sniggering all the while.
Mohammad Ali Abedi
Sep 15, 2014 Mohammad Ali Abedi rated it really liked it
As he always proclaimed on the radio show and the podcast, Karl is into knowledge. He loves knowledge. Sure, it just usually seems to be interest facts he here, and sure, most of them might sometimes not be true, and if true, it usually becomes misshaped in his head after he hears it, that it bears little resemblance to the actual fact.

But so what.

Getting knowledge from Karl might not be 100% truth, but it is certainly more enjoyable than knowledge from other sources. This book of his is about h
Graham Watts
Mar 22, 2013 Graham Watts rated it it was amazing
Loved hearing the inner workings of Karl's mind and his unique and honest outlook on life - very enjoyable book
Sam Quixote
Sep 20, 2011 Sam Quixote rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is Karl's third book! He's written as many books as he's read! Well, he's done it again. Another corking book filled with the drivel we've all come to love to read on the can.

Some of the genius is missing as Ricky and Steves' voices are absent and when the three are together the drivel reaches bold new heights of idiocy. But Karl's lone voice speaking his theories uninterrupted without Ricky's voice saying "Karl, Karl, Karl - where did you get this from? What do you mean the monkey drove t
Anita George
Aug 06, 2014 Anita George rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure what to expect. I love the various series featuring Pilkington (An Idiot Abroad, The Moaning of Life), so gave this a try. I was pleasantly surprised! Pilkington's odd way of looking at the world and strange leaps of "logic" caused me to laugh out loud more than once. And have given me a lot of examples of logical fallacies (hasty generalization, false analogy, false cause) to use in my teaching.
Tim
Jan 18, 2014 Tim rated it really liked it
Karl is funny. Not sure that he ever means to be but that's OK. Others know and put him out for our enjoyment. The book suffers from being like a really rich piece of cake. You just can't sit down and read it in one pass. You ave to take little bites and spread them out. What makes a lot of the TV and podcasts work so well, and where this book comes up short, is Gervais and Merchant always questioning Karl's statements and stories. It helps to keep you from getting over-saturated in the crazines ...more
Carrie
Aug 19, 2014 Carrie rated it really liked it
This book is a riot. The only complaint I had was there was too much British jargon that I wish was explained a little bit more for readers not of Karl's culture. This book is more thought provoking than one might imagine, filled with trivia and quite humorous.
Ankhit Pandurangi
Sep 04, 2015 Ankhit Pandurangi rated it it was amazing
Karl's views on life written down. The "round headed Manc" provides some (mildly idiotic at times) insight on everything from art to life in general. A good laugh and a great read. Will leave you feeling as melancholy as Karl about things!
Jess Deaney
Apr 14, 2016 Jess Deaney rated it liked it
An entertaining book about Karl Pilkington's daily contemplations on life. This book is filled with amusing anecdotes and unusual trivia, which overall provides an lighthearted insight into the inner workings of Karl's brain.
Annie
Jul 06, 2014 Annie rated it really liked it
I love him! The only reason why I gave 5 stars is because during some of his rants, my mind wandered. Don't read it if you're not a fan of his. Some of his comments or insight make no sense and some are shockingly brilliant.
ciaochow
Dec 27, 2013 ciaochow rated it liked it
"All the restaurants in Chinatown try to tempt you in by dangling food in their windows, but the problem is, their window display skills aren't the best. They just seem to hang up all their food stock, to the point that you can't see in the place. It's like they use the squids for curtains. Some of the chickens have been hanging there for that long that they have a tan. The Chinese offer some really odd stuff to eat - scorpions, crispy spiders, snake meat and battered bugs. You'd feel daft compl ...more
Mark Oconnor
Jul 09, 2013 Mark Oconnor rated it really liked it
I had previously read "Happyslapped by a Jellyfish" and while this is not quite as good, it is still a more enjoyable read than his first book which is merely transcripts from the Ricky Gervais show. Even though Karl's observations and ridiculous thought processes are completely inane I find myself laughing time and time again, particularly when he starts talking about brains originating on another world! He invariably follows this sort of wild speculation with the phrase "It's just a theory", s ...more
Aj
Aug 25, 2014 Aj rated it it was ok
I think I would have enjoyed this more if I read it before watching An Idiot Abroad, as a lot of his musings and jokes are reused in the series.
Tyler Taylor
Apr 19, 2014 Tyler Taylor rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Karl Pilkington is probably my favorite human being, so there's no way I wouldn't love this. If you haven't heard him before, this book probably isn't for you. If you know and love him, this is exactly what you would expect and exactly what you need.
James Alston
Oct 26, 2014 James Alston rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simple this one - if you love Karl Pilkington's Idiot Abroad series then you'll love this book. If not then probably don't bother!
Fay
May 20, 2012 Fay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, comedy
I absolutely love Karl Pilkington, and have ever since An Idiot Abroad. I do admit to never reading any of his books, but after reading this one I am eager to read more.

I love this book. Some of his points are absolutely pointless and silly, but I am afraid to admit I actually agreed to some of these points. I feel like we are the same person, which is scary, because truly, Pilkington is a weird idiot.

I loved the graphics in the novel, they made me laugh so much. I also loved the facts at the en
Jun 27, 2016 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely love this guy, he is just so hilarious and I have adored everything of his I have read. choking with laughter.
*givemeallthetacos*
Oct 10, 2012 *givemeallthetacos* rated it it was amazing
Karl decides he wants to broaden his intellectual horizons. And so, through a series of events (including trips to a dinosaur museum, the zoo, the tate modern and even a library) he is able to present us with this light hearted and funny insight into his own head.
I find the funniest thing about Karl is his insistence on featuring material about the irrelevant things that occur around him during his quest for knowledge. Odd situations and strange people seem to punctuate his life! More so, Karls
Jenna
Feb 14, 2015 Jenna rated it really liked it
lost a star because the images weren't resized to where you could read them in the ebook format...unless you are an ant.
Rizwan
Sep 16, 2014 Rizwan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoirs
Karl is amazing. So Ricky and Steve often make fun of the fact that he is an idiot, and thus this book is a diary of his attempts in educating himself. And it is informative - well not his misinformed dribble or quick judgments, but he has little pages of contributions from other celebrities some of which did teach me a few new things.

And Karl as usual is hilarious. Definitely recommend it if you are a fan of Karl. There is a 20 minute special too that goes along with this about his MENSA test a
Lewis Mccann
In my opinion, Karl Pilkington is one of the funniest men alive today.
Sometimes, the stuff he comes out with is cringeworthy, sometimes he says things that are too ludicrous to be unscripted, but regardless, the 'bald-headed buffoon' definitely makes it into my celebrity dinner party list!
This book is full of insights, quips and comments I think Karl doesn't even realise are funny, and it's great to get a glimpse into how his brain works!
Clare Bennett
Mar 01, 2016 Clare Bennett rated it it was amazing
A fantastic and funny book. It's the world according to Karl Pilkington. I think he is a genius.
angela
Jan 19, 2015 angela rated it did not like it
i was disappointed with this book as it was not as good as is earlier books ive read of his
Matt
Sep 29, 2014 Matt rated it it was amazing
Loved this book the only annoy thing is I found myself reading it in his voice ha ha!
Tons of Karlisms in the book and I often find myself agreeing with his thoughts and opinions on things! The history section and the art exhibition where probably 2 of my favourite bits along with his description of his school days! If your a fan of Karl or an idiot abroad read this book!
Alexo
Mar 22, 2015 Alexo rated it really liked it
I liked how Karl Pilks (as I call him) wrote about visiting different places.
  • The Ricky Gervais Show - First, Second and Third Seasons
  • American Freak Show: The Completely Fabricated Stories of Our New National Treasures
  • Tiny Acts of Rebellion: 97 Almost-Legal Ways to Stick It to the Man
  • Monty Python Live!
  • Spilling the Beans
  • The Hell of It All
  • This Mitchell and Webb Book
  • A Castle in the Backyard: The Dream of a House in France
  • How Not to Read: Harnessing the Power of a Literature-Free Life
  • Best New Horror 18 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #18)
  • I, Partridge: We Need to Talk About Alan
  • The Pop-Up Book of Nightmares
  • If You Loved Me You'd Think This Was Cute: Uncomfortably True Cartoons About You
  • Cooking & Screaming: Finding My Own Recipe for Recovery
  • Eight Nights (Eight Nights #1)
  • Rendezvous with Destiny: Ronald Reagan and the Campaign That Changed America
  • 101 Cataclysms: For the Love of Cats
  • Innovate the Pixar Way: Business Lessons from the World's Most Creative Corporate Company
Karl Pilkington is a Sony Award-winning English radio producer, poet, podcaster, raconteur and author, best known for producing and co-presenting The Ricky Gervais Show on London radio station Xfm from 2001 to 2005 and later in the form of podcasts and a television show on HBO. In October 2006, Pilkington's first book The World of Karl Pilkington was published, featuring original ideas and drawing ...more
More about Karl Pilkington...

“There are more idiots in the world than bright ones, but it’s the odd good one that makes a big difference.” 4 likes