Start by marking “From Seed to Plant” as Want to Read:
From Seed to Plant

From Seed to Plant

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  298 ratings  ·  56 reviews
Explores the intricate relationship between seeds and the plants which they produce.

Book Details: Format: Paperback Publication Date: 3/1/1993 Pages: 32 Reading Level: Age 5 and Up
Published March 1st 1993 by Holiday House (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about From Seed to Plant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Seed to Plant

Miss Rumphius by Barbara CooneyThe Curious Garden by Peter  BrownThe Gardener by Sarah StewartPlanting a Rainbow by Lois EhlertMy Garden by Kevin Henkes
Picture Books About Gardens
144th out of 176 books — 94 voters
A Tree Is a Plant by Clyde Robert BullaA Raindrop's Journey by Suzanne Buckingham SladeFlash, Crash, Rumble, and Roll by Franklyn Mansfield BranleyPOP! by Kimberly Brubaker BradleyThe Magic School Bus Gets Planted by Joanna Cole
Children's Picture Books on Science
44th out of 65 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Melissa
This book is for grades K through 2. It provides a simple introduction on plant reproduction. The scientific topics that are covered include: pollination, seed dispersal and growth. There is a project include - how to grow a bean plant and unusual facts. The text is somewhat difficult to understand, especially for a young student. I could easily see younger students being confused by the unusual wording. The illustrations leave something to be desired. I am certain that there are better books ou ...more
Colleen Overlander
Gail Gibbons' "From Seed to Plant" is an engaging example of an expository informational text appropriate for the early elementary grades, K-2nd. This text explores the specific topic that focuses on the relationship that exists between a seed and a plant as well as the process involved of growing into a plant from a seed. I find that this picture book would be great for early elementary students as it is, at this age, that in Science, this topic is generally explored. Not only this, but this te ...more
Nicole Gustafson
This book vivid imagery to the hands of little readers, this text offers information regarding the entire plant cycle from the seed to the plant. This book is intended for small children and is not meant to provide pages upon pages of researched information. This book offers simple facts about seeds and plants and how to even grow a bean plant. I really like the colorful illustrations and the simple to read labels. This is simply a book to teach about seeds.

This book fits within the information
Kristin Forman
From Seed to Plant by Gail Gibbons talks about the relationship between seeds and plants. What I like most about this book is that it is appropriate for younger children and they can understand seeds because it is written in a simple way. It introduces plant reproduction and seed dispersal. There are many activities that can be done with this book during science class.
Teresa Gartland
From Seed to Plant is an informational picture book geared toward early elementary students. This book goes over the life cycle of plants and the stages they go through. The book includes stages such as pollination and growth, what those stages look like and what the plant needs during those stages. This would be a perfect book to use as an introduction to a science lesson about plants and life cycles. I would start off by reading this book to the students then having them draw the life cycles o ...more
Megan Brooks
This book is about seeds becoming a plant and all the different parts of a plant. This book also gives information on the duties of each part of a plant. This book can be used to reinforce plant knowledge.
Dayna
Book Title: From Seed to Plant by Gail Gibbons

Book Description: This book is about the life cycle of a plant and the process it goes through starting at a seed. It talks about what a plant needs during growth and how it changes.

Focus: Students will practice comprehending a story and write an informational piece recalling the major changes a seed goes through to become a plant. Students will use facts and key words from within the story to inform their reader.

CCSS Connections: W.2.2 Write informa
Kelly Francis
This in an informational book but it looks just like a picture book. I would integrate science and reading with this book. It is full of great information to use with science and the study of plants. I have used this book several times with students. It can be read aloud to the whole class or used by students for research.
Shakita
This book is great when learning about the plant cycle. It shows you how a plant grows from a seed to a plant. This book is great for science class because it has a project that the class can do in the back. The children can grow a bean plant and actually see the seed start to sprout roots and so on. I remember doing a project like this in school and I thought that it was really cool to see my small bean grow into something much bigger and greener. Children are able to think about all the things ...more
Ata Agoro
Love the science in this book -- very accessible for the little ones.
Tabitha
This will be a bit over the heads of the target audience.
Stephanie Lerner
Mentor Text: Labels, sequence.
Anchor Text: Life cycle.
Brittny Nguyen
This book is an informational text and can be used with 2nd graders. It is a great text that can be used to help explain to students how a plant grows, its various parts, its different sizes, and so forth. The pictures do justice in giving the students a visual of what the book is trying to portray. I used this book as a resource in a science lesson plan for 2nd grade. For the assignment they were to explain the different parts of the plants by using this book as a resource during our read aloud ...more
Julie Graham 47150
This is an excellent book about seeds and plants for primary students. It provides opportunities to combine reading, writing, and science. My class is learning about lifecycles and we've started with plants. First, I read this book to my students. Then we planted soybeans in Ziplock bags (see http://www.readitonceagain.com/units/...). They are also keeping a journal to record their observations of the growing seeds and adding illustrations as desired.
Shannon
Gail Gibbons always seems to catch me off guard. I keep thinking that just because her nonfiction books use illustrations instead of photographs, they are going to be somehow lacking. Not so. I used this book to introduce our plant growth and development unit, and my kids loved it. I'll admit, I worried some of the images would be too phallic for my kids to handle, but they were rockstars! They're so excited to plant their seeds.
Asha Smith
This book is great for a science lesson. I wouldnt suggest to read this book for fun, unless the students ask. But I plan on using this book to teach the different items that make up a flower and how a plant is grown. Even in the back of the book, there is an experiment that you can do with the class to see how a plant grows in real life.
James Vickery
This would be a great book for k-3 to introduce the life cycles of plants. This book would be a great book to follow up with a science lesson that lasted a couple of days where the students could match the progress of their own plants to the plants that they grow in the classroom. This book gives information about the parts of a plant as well.
Sharonneika
I think this is a great book for a 1 or 2nd grade science lesson on plants. It gives an introduction to the reproduction of plants. It goes into a few details about pollination and the growth of plants. At the end of the book the author provides an experiment where students are able to see the stages of a plant for themselves.
Katie
My own kids loved this book. They had just learned about the lifecycle of an apple as well as the parts of a flower. The illustrations are great. Love the flow of the book, just look at the title. I wonder if the vocabulary would be too much for a child if it were the first time they were hearing these words.
Laquita
I was introduced to this book as apart of the common core complex text list. Each page is filled with facts about seeds and plants. I would use it during science study of plants. In my classroom it has also been used for district benchmark literacy assessment for writing synthesizing information text.
Linh Tong
This book explains how a seed grow into plants. This book is filled with facts. It also has vocabulary words at the end of the book to explain more about plants. After we read this book, students can grow their own plant. They will take pictures of the plant everyday to show the changes in the plant.
Emmy
Explores the transformation from seed to plant describing many different flowers and vegetables. The illustrations are colorful and the text is clear. This is an excellent overview of how plants grow. There is a "From Seed to Plant" project in the back that children can try at home. Ages 7 - 10.
Joanne
This book illustrates and talks about the process of how plants grow. I think that this gives a good introduction to what students are going to learn later in science in the upper grades. This book is a easy read where the students can learn from the pictures and words easily.
Lyndsey Hurm
This is a great book about plants! I would use this book to introduce plants to the students. The pictures are really nice also! I would probably have each student plant their own plants in a cup and then when they are finished growing we would re read the book.
Caitlin Day
This non-fictional book is about the life cycle of different seeds. It does a great job describing the cycles of life the seed does. It's very educational and children will find it really neat because it gives examples of seeds that turn into food.
Brian Cave
This informational book shows the relationship of certain seeds and the final plant product in which they will become. A good book to show younger children of how something can start from one little seed, and over time become something so much more.
Hatka Kecalovic
This book is From Seed to Plant by Gail Gibbons. This book can be used in Kindergarten through 2 grade classrooms. The book provides a simple introduction on plant reproduction. It also covers the topics of pollination, seed dispersal and growth.
Kelly
From Seed to Plant is a nice overview of plant cycles for young children. It may be more detailed than will be interesting to most 3 and 4 year olds, but it offers some ideas that might spark further investigation by invested kids.
Tracy
A great book about how seeds grow into plants. Illustrations show plants growing above and below the ground. It mentions different kinds of seeds, roots, and plants. A good book for a plant unit in fourth grade and below.
  • From Seed to Pumpkin (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)
  • The Reason for a Flower
  • Jack's Garden
  • My Five Senses Big Book (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)
  • How Did That Get In My Lunchbox?: The Story of Food
  • Who Eats What?: Food Chains and Food Webs
  • Boy, Were  We Wrong About Dinosaurs!
  • How a Seed Grows
  • A Seed Is Sleepy
  • Cactus Hotel
  • The Skeleton Inside You
  • The Popcorn Book
The Seasons of Arnold's Apple Tree The Moon Book The Pumpkin Book Apples The Vegetables We Eat