Start by marking “Oh Say Can You Seed?: All About Flowering Plants” as Want to Read:
Oh Say Can You Seed?: All About Flowering Plants

Oh Say Can You Seed?: All About Flowering Plants (The Cat in the Hat's Learning Library)

With the able assistance of Thing 1 and Thing 2 -- and a fleet of Rube Goldbergian vehicles -- the Cat in the Hat examines the various parts of plants, seeds, and flowers; basic photosynthesis and pollination; and
seed dispersal.
Published March 27th 2001 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Oh Say Can You Seed?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oh Say Can You Seed?

CFAITC
Jan 01, 2010 CFAITC added it
Shelves: primary
Introduce your students to flowering plants and seeds with this book, Oh Say Can You Seed? by Bonnie Worth.

The Cat in the Hat examines the various parts of seeds and plants, photosynthesis, pollination, and seed dispersal in this fun, easy-to-read story for young students.

With the Cat in the Hat as their guide, students are encouraged to think about the different ways we use plants, from "the paper for books and the cloth for your pants." He helps elementary students understand that plants are u
Siddharth Chakravarthy
A Pretty Neat and Cute Info-graphics about the Basic concepts of Germination,Pollination and many other topics conveyed in a Simple yet Lucid manner.
Could have been a bit lengthier. But still, It's perfect for Educating the Little kids about the Basics of everyday things.
Sadia Mansoor
Nov 29, 2016 Sadia Mansoor rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
There are those who are beyond talented that they can describe these common scientific processes & other basic knowledge in rhyming too! Never knew that one day I will be reading someone like Bonnie Worth, who possesses this talent.
Hence, this book will be a great help for those teachers & parents, who would like to teach their children/students to remember all the science related information in a playful manner with vibrantly colorful illustrations. It will be enjoyed by the kids a lot
Miranda
Oct 23, 2009 Miranda rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
The Cat in the Hat, Dr. Seuss's classic character, returns for more educational fun in this book about plants. Thing 1 and Thing 2 also make appearances bearing various charts, diagrams, and facts about plants. I found myself wondering what age level the book would be appropriate for--it seems too complex and contains too much information for the younger grades, but the characters and sing-song rhyme may not appeal to the middle grades either. It would require careful planning to incorporate the ...more
Teri
Apr 01, 2012 Teri rated it really liked it
Shelves: plants
One of the best plant books I've found! Covers a lot of information at a level kids can understand. Some activities we've done with this book:
dissect bean seeds and to see the cotyledons, embryo and seed coat
dissect a tulip in the spring and learn about sexual plant reproduction--tulips are perfect because the plant parts are so obvious.
Oana Cerchezan
This science book is great for a third grade classroom for kids to learn about the parts of a flower,what happens in the food cycle of a flower,and the kinds of leaves. A great activity to do with the kids is to buy actual flowers and get the kids to label the parts of a flower.I can also have the different kinds of leaves and have them label the leaves.
Tim Johnson
Jan 06, 2016 Tim Johnson rated it it was ok
Shelves: discovery-time
I am working on a botany program for ages 5-7 and selected this book for evaluation as part of that. If you can get past the somewhat monotonous rhyme scheme there is a lot of good information in the book. It loses points for the rhyming and its lack of extension activities. It is however perfect for the age group, does have a list of recommended reads, and a thorough glossary.
Evelyn
Feb 27, 2012 Evelyn rated it really liked it
Oh Say Can You Seed?: All About Flowering Plants by Dr. Seuss is a great book about teaching students, K-5, about plants. This book explains the characteristics of a plant such as it's seeds, leaves, stems, etc. It tells students how to flower plants and how to help them grow. This book is a great science content related book with a fun illustrations and text that children will love.
Nicole
Mar 08, 2013 Nicole rated it really liked it
Borrowed this from a Reading prof mistaking it for a Dr. Seuss book at first. Despite being initially disappointed it was not actually Seuss, I was pleasantly surprised at the clever use of rhyming to explain plants. I wish I coulda read this book in school for the photosynthesis unit!
Karina Espinales
Oct 13, 2012 Karina Espinales rated it really liked it
This is a good book for third graders because of the use of vocabulary words. The book is about parts of the plants. It talks about the bean plant and the different types of leaves. It is a good book to use for illustrations. It labels the parts of the plans on the book. It is non-fiction.
Bethany
Feb 02, 2013 Bethany rated it really liked it
Student will love to learn all about hwo a seed can grow in this book. Useful ways to use this book in teaching is to teach about plant life, biotic characteristics, and rhyming.

Grades: 1-5
Topics: plants, seeds, rhyming, botic characteristics
Heather
Jan 31, 2011 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: own
21 months - Found this at the thrift store and nabbed it for $1. O has learned a lot about plants from this book. We rarely make it to the end of the book but it's still a good basic read about seeds and plant growth.
Hatka Kecalovic
This book is Oh Say Can You Seed? All About Flowering Plants by Bonnie Worth. This book examines various parts of plants, seeds, and flowers. It also focuses on basic photosynthesis and pollination, and seed dispersal. This book can be used in Kindergarten-5 grade classrooms.
PWRL
Jun 07, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013-new
A
Kamyshia
Oct 03, 2011 Kamyshia added it
Shelves: literacy, science
great for discussing plants !
Kristin
Feb 11, 2010 Kristin rated it it was amazing
This is a perfect book to include when studying the plant cycle!
Molly Darr
Apr 11, 2011 Molly Darr added it
Shelves: science
Another great Dr. Suess book. This book focuses on flowering plants. It would be very useful in the classroom to introduce plant life to first graders.
Kimowan
it good
Ebono1
Jul 19, 2010 Ebono1 rated it it was amazing
Loveee Dr Seuss! very familiar to children, the characters are always the same. this talks about the different ways that plants grow and how they grow. Good "science" book for children.
Alexander Lee
Nov 13, 2016 Alexander Lee rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book because I like seeds and there were seeds. I also enjoyed this book because I like plants and there were a lot of plants.
Karen
Oct 13, 2011 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: preschool, read-again
I am really liking these Cat in the Hat Learning Library books. This one was advanced for our 3-year-old but she still got something out of it.
Wendy Nickel
Feb 02, 2017 Wendy Nickel rated it it was amazing
All about flowering plants and will use this in the horticulture building at the county fair.
Caitrin
Nov 24, 2013 Caitrin rated it really liked it
This is a fun book to use to talk about plants and how they grow. The Cat in the Hat, Thing 1, and Thing 2 show us the importance of plants, their parts, and how they grow.
Bookie
Mar 14, 2011 Bookie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Moms
Recommended to Bookie by: Adrian A.
A great way to introduce the world of seeds and the way they grow to young kids.
My daughter loves this book. Good read for pre-k and kindergarten children's science.
Autumn
Apr 12, 2013 Autumn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
I love the books in this series. This one is particularly good because it is made comprehensible for even the younger kids. The rhyming is so clever and well done.
Angela Barakat
I read this with both my children.
Brandy Francois
Brandy Francois rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2014
Jordan
Jordan rated it really liked it
May 09, 2015
Monkey
Monkey rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2008
Edelind
Edelind rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • On Beyond Bugs (Cat In The Hat's Learning Library)
  • How a Seed Grows
  • What Is the World Made Of?: All About Solids, Liquids, and Gases
  • From Seed to Pumpkin (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)
  • A Tree Is a Plant (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)
  • Archaeologists Dig for Clues
  • Humphrey the Lost Whale
  • The Reasons for Seasons
  • Clouds: Let's Read and Find out Science - 1
  • The Planets in Our Solar System
  • Compost Stew
  • What Will the Weather Be?
  • Fossils Tell of Long Ago
  • How Do You Lift a Lion?
  • Games and Puzzles from the Ice House (Magic Tree Hous Activity Book)
BONNIE WORTH is the author of countless books for young readers, among them the Cat in the Hat Learning Library books If I Ran the Rain Forest, HarK! A Shark!, Oh Say Can You Seed? (winner of the 2003 Ohio Farm Bureau Award), Wish for a Fish, Oh Say Can You Say Di-No-Saur?, Would You Rather Be a Pollywog?, Ice Is Nice!, and Safari, So Good!

More about Bonnie Worth...

The Cat in the Hat's Learning Library (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • My, Oh My--A Butterfly!: All About Butterflies
  • Clam I am
  • Fine Feathered Friends: All About Birds
  • A Great Day for Pup!
  • Hurray for Today!: All About Holidays (Cat in the Hat's Learning Library)
  • I Can Name 50 Trees Today!: All About Trees
  • If I Ran the Rain Forest: All About Tropical Rain Forests
  • Inside Your Outside: All About the Human Body (The Cat in the Hat's Learning Library)
  • Is a Camel a Mammal?
  • Oh say can you say di-no-saur?