Start by marking “Oh Say Can You Seed?: All About Flowering Plants” as Want to Read:
Oh Say Can You Seed?: All About Flowering Plants
Preview

Oh Say Can You Seed?: All About Flowering Plants (The Cat in the Hat's Learning Library)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  99 ratings  ·  23 reviews
With the able assistance of Thing 1 and Thing 2 -- and a fleet of Rube Goldbergian vehicles -- the Cat in the Hat examines the various parts of plants, seeds, and flowers; basic photosynthesis and pollination; and
seed dispersal.
Published March 27th 2001 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Oh Say Can You Seed?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oh Say Can You Seed?

CFAITC
Mar 14, 2014 CFAITC added it
Shelves: primary
Introduce your students to flowering plants and seeds with this book, Oh Say Can You Seed? by Bonnie Worth.

The Cat in the Hat examines the various parts of seeds and plants, photosynthesis, pollination, and seed dispersal in this fun, easy-to-read story for young students.

With the Cat in the Hat as their guide, students are encouraged to think about the different ways we use plants, from "the paper for books and the cloth for your pants." He helps elementary students understand that plants are u
Miranda
The Cat in the Hat, Dr. Seuss's classic character, returns for more educational fun in this book about plants. Thing 1 and Thing 2 also make appearances bearing various charts, diagrams, and facts about plants. I found myself wondering what age level the book would be appropriate for--it seems too complex and contains too much information for the younger grades, but the characters and sing-song rhyme may not appeal to the middle grades either. It would require careful planning to incorporate the ...more
Twotwo
Nov 08, 2014 Twotwo marked it as to-read
Shelves: library
3.7
Evelyn
Oh Say Can You Seed?: All About Flowering Plants by Dr. Seuss is a great book about teaching students, K-5, about plants. This book explains the characteristics of a plant such as it's seeds, leaves, stems, etc. It tells students how to flower plants and how to help them grow. This book is a great science content related book with a fun illustrations and text that children will love.
Oana Cerchezan
This science book is great for a third grade classroom for kids to learn about the parts of a flower,what happens in the food cycle of a flower,and the kinds of leaves. A great activity to do with the kids is to buy actual flowers and get the kids to label the parts of a flower.I can also have the different kinds of leaves and have them label the leaves.
Teri
Apr 01, 2012 Teri rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: plants
One of the best plant books I've found! Covers a lot of information at a level kids can understand. Some activities we've done with this book:
dissect bean seeds and to see the cotyledons, embryo and seed coat
dissect a tulip in the spring and learn about sexual plant reproduction--tulips are perfect because the plant parts are so obvious.
Karina Espinales
This is a good book for third graders because of the use of vocabulary words. The book is about parts of the plants. It talks about the bean plant and the different types of leaves. It is a good book to use for illustrations. It labels the parts of the plans on the book. It is non-fiction.
Nicole
Borrowed this from a Reading prof mistaking it for a Dr. Seuss book at first. Despite being initially disappointed it was not actually Seuss, I was pleasantly surprised at the clever use of rhyming to explain plants. I wish I coulda read this book in school for the photosynthesis unit!
Hatka Prozorac
This book is Oh Say Can You Seed? All About Flowering Plants by Bonnie Worth. This book examines various parts of plants, seeds, and flowers. It also focuses on basic photosynthesis and pollination, and seed dispersal. This book can be used in Kindergarten-5 grade classrooms.
Bethany
Student will love to learn all about hwo a seed can grow in this book. Useful ways to use this book in teaching is to teach about plant life, biotic characteristics, and rhyming.

Grades: 1-5
Topics: plants, seeds, rhyming, botic characteristics
Heather
Oct 05, 2011 Heather rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
21 months - Found this at the thrift store and nabbed it for $1. O has learned a lot about plants from this book. We rarely make it to the end of the book but it's still a good basic read about seeds and plant growth.
Ebono1
Loveee Dr Seuss! very familiar to children, the characters are always the same. this talks about the different ways that plants grow and how they grow. Good "science" book for children.
Caitrin
This is a fun book to use to talk about plants and how they grow. The Cat in the Hat, Thing 1, and Thing 2 show us the importance of plants, their parts, and how they grow.
Bookie
Mar 14, 2011 Bookie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Moms
Recommended to Bookie by: Adrian A.
A great way to introduce the world of seeds and the way they grow to young kids.
My daughter loves this book. Good read for pre-k and kindergarten children's science.
Autumn
Apr 12, 2013 Autumn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
I love the books in this series. This one is particularly good because it is made comprehensible for even the younger kids. The rhyming is so clever and well done.
Molly Darr
Apr 11, 2011 Molly Darr added it
Shelves: science
Another great Dr. Suess book. This book focuses on flowering plants. It would be very useful in the classroom to introduce plant life to first graders.
Karen
I am really liking these Cat in the Hat Learning Library books. This one was advanced for our 3-year-old but she still got something out of it.
Resa
It is a good book. My teacher read it to me. Then I read it on my kindle.
Kristin
This is a perfect book to include when studying the plant cycle!
Angela Barakat
I read this with both my children.
Kamyshia
Oct 03, 2011 Kamyshia added it
Shelves: literacy, science
great for discussing plants !
PWRL
Jun 07, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013-new
A
Kimowan
it good
Savannah Hutchins
Savannah Hutchins marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Jessica Lovitt
Jessica Lovitt marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Katelin
Katelin marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Jocelyn Pham
Jocelyn Pham marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • On Beyond Bugs (Cat In The Hat's Learning Library)
  • How a Seed Grows
  • What Is the World Made Of?: All About Solids, Liquids, and Gases
  • From Seed to Pumpkin (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)
  • The Reasons for Seasons
  • The Penny Pot
  • Archaeologists Dig for Clues
  • A Seed Is Sleepy
  • What's Smaller Than a Pygmy Shrew?
  • The Planets in Our Solar System
  • Compost Stew
  • Games and Puzzles from the Ice House (Magic Tree Hous Activity Book)
  • If You Find a Rock
  • Apple Fractions
  • The Apple Pie Tree
BONNIE WORTH is the author of countless books for young readers, among them the Cat in the Hat Learning Library books If I Ran the Rain Forest, HarK! A Shark!, Oh Say Can You Seed? (winner of the 2003 Ohio Farm Bureau Award), Wish for a Fish, Oh Say Can You Say Di-No-Saur?, Would You Rather Be a Pollywog?, Ice Is Nice!, and Safari, So Good!

More about Bonnie Worth...

The Cat in the Hat's Learning Library (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • My, Oh My--A Butterfly!: All About Butterflies
  • Clam I am
  • Fine Feathered Friends: All about Birds
  • A Great Day for Pup
  • Hurray for Today!: All About Holidays (Cat in the Hat's Learning Library)
  • I Can Name 50 Trees Today!: All About Trees
  • If I Ran the Rain Forest: All About Tropical Rain Forests (Cat in the Hat's Learning Library)
  • The Cat in the Hat's Learning Library: Inside Your Outside: All About the Human Body (Cat in the Hat's Learning Library)
  • Is a Camel a Mammal?
  • Oh say can you say di-no-saur?
Oh say can you say di-no-saur? Wish for a Fish: All About Sea Creatures The Cat in the Hat the Movie!: Cooking with the Cat If I Ran the Rain Forest: All About Tropical Rain Forests (Cat in the Hat's Learning Library) A Whale of a Tale!: All About Porpoises, Dolphins, and Whales