Start by marking “The Forlorn” as Want to Read:
The Forlorn

The Forlorn

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  243 ratings  ·  11 reviews
The relentless search for opal-like sections of a matter transmitter is on, for without them the only human colony-planet will die. A group of unlikely heroes--including a young street thief and a spoiled princess--must find the sections before alien destroyers get hold of them.
Published September 1st 1999 by Baen Books

To ask other readers questions about The Forlorn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Forlorn

YouKneeK
I find it difficult to quantify why I’m giving this book four stars because the book had a lot of flaws, but I really enjoyed the story. It takes place on a planet where humans and members of a xenophobic alien race are in conflict. Technology exists that could help the humans survive but, due to some sort of a mysterious betrayal, that technology has been scattered around the planet and/or disabled. Only certain kinds of people are able to use the technology, and most of the humans on the plane ...more
Havva
Jul 11, 2010 Havva rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: scifi
Read the e-book from Baen Books

Still not sure quite what to think. There were many amusing parts that I was sorry not to have anyone to share with, but on the other hand rather too much perpiness for me to want to recommend it to any of my siblings.

The last chapter or two were too rushed. The lack of a proper ending disappointed me.

Still, much more enjoyable than studying for my test tomorrow. ;)
Annette
I'm frankly ashamed to admit that I finished books that I give only two stars, but I did. It is books like this one that reveal to me the extent of my current sci-fi/fantasy addiction. I've been scraping the bottom of the barrel at Baen's free library, and having read a short story by this author that I found interesting, I took a chance on this one. Sadly, it was a strike out. A total lack of originality in the plot: unlikely band of heroes must quest for a set of Macguffins scattered across th ...more
Dayl Thomas
Greetings one and all! After reading "Rats, Bats and Vats" (RBV) and "The Rats, the Bats and the Ugly" (RBU), I thought I would try Dave Freer's first novel. I'm very happy I did. It starts off on three different paths that eventually meet up and that's when things really take off.
I loved the characterization as you could either totally empathize with the characters or completely loath them. The bad guy in this book is one of the best I have ever seen.
The book is very gritty and feels like h
Nicholas
First off, darn it, Goodreads, 2 stars doesn't mean it was ok. Means it was subpar.

This book. . .

The writing isn't terrible, there are a couple of decent ideas, and a handful of decent scenes.

The protagonist has no personality. Totally uninteresting. The antagonist is also boring and stupidly competent. The love interest is a hateful little troll of a woman that we're supposed to think gets better by the end of the book. She doesn't.

Ultimately, there are two basically likable characters, and
Captainbitmap
Very good read, though the last two chapters seemed rushed, and the race of humans brought out of the hive - after generations of imprisonment - showed no sign of culture shock.

Nominally, it's a science fiction novel, but it might appeal to people who enjoyed the likes of Scott Lynch's "The Lies of Lock Lamora", "The Assassin's Apprentice" by Robin Hobb and/or Brandon Sanderson's "Mistborn." Oh, and it's more pacey than those three books, btw.
Paul
Great book. Believable mediaeval quest-type fantasy seamlessly blended with high-tech science fiction, and an engaging set of protagonists. Some poignant moments,lots of action, multiple sub-plots and a nive romance. I would thoroughly recommend this book.
David
Unexpectedly good fantasy/science fiction novel. Fast-paced, high fantasy overtones, good characters and situations. This book was from the Baen Free Library.
Greg
An interesting book, colonist set down on a world in a lower level of technology with psionics thrown in to make it more fun.
Tania Shipman
I love this book. I hope Dave writes more in this universe sometime.
Bill
A pretty good first effort on Freer' part. A free ebook from Baen books.
Daniel Vassily
Daniel Vassily marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Lugene
Lugene marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Sonny Lee
Sonny Lee marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
Brenda
Brenda marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Max
Max marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Melody Davis
Melody Davis marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Estelle
Estelle marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Alexander widrow
Alexander widrow marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
  • The Creatures of Man
  • Seas of Venus (Seas of Venus, #1-2)
  • Mother of Demons
  • Stars Over Stars (Heyoka Blackeagle, #2)
  • The Warslayer: The Incredibly True Adventures of Vixen the Slayer, the Beginning
  • The Hub: Dangerous Territory (The Hub)
  • Planetfall
  • Keith Laumer: The Lighter Side
  • Sleipnir
  • Star Soldiers (Central Control, #1-2)
  • Wisdom of the Fox (Gerin the Fox, #2-3)
  • Pandora's Legions
  • David Falkayn: Star Trader (Technic Civilization 2)
  • Digital Knight
  • The Multiplex Man
Rats, Bats & Vats (The Rats and the Bats, #1) Pyramid Scheme (Pyramid, #1) A Mankind Witch  (Heirs of Alexandria, #1.5) Dragon's Ring Dog and Dragon