Start by marking “The Forlorn” as Want to Read:
The Forlorn

The Forlorn

3.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  305 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
While the xenophobic alien Morkth race searches the galaxy to destroy the last of human vermin, the lightly armed members of the only human colony must figure out how to defend themselves from the coming attack. Reprint.
Published September 1st 1999 by Baen Books

To ask other readers questions about The Forlorn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Forlorn

On Basilisk Station by David Weber1632 by Eric FlintA Hymn Before Battle by John RingoGust Front by John RingoOld Nathan by David Drake
Reconstructed Baen Free Library
29th out of 37 books — 13 voters
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingThe Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen ChboskyThe Bad Beginning by Lemony SnicketGirl With a Pearl Earring by Tracy ChevalierSpeak by Laurie Halse Anderson
Best Books of 1999
204th out of 264 books — 136 voters

More lists with this book...

YouKneeK
Sep 24, 2014 YouKneeK rated it really liked it
I find it difficult to quantify why I’m giving this book four stars because the book had a lot of flaws, but I really enjoyed the story. It takes place on a planet where humans and members of a xenophobic alien race are in conflict. Technology exists that could help the humans survive but, due to some sort of a mysterious betrayal, that technology has been scattered around the planet and/or disabled. Only certain kinds of people are able to use the technology, and most of the humans on the plane ...more
Kamas Kirian
Overall I enjoyed it, but there were a few issues that kind of jarred me out of the moment. It's a sort of cross between young adult, SF and Fantasy consisting of a ragtag group of heroes on a quest filled with loneliness, love, betrayal, science and magic.

I found the world building intriguing, but not fully developed. There seemed to be holes in the descriptions of how the world worked, some of which would later be addressed, but which left me confounded at times until the later explanation. Th
Havva
Jul 11, 2010 Havva rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi
Read the e-book from Baen Books

Still not sure quite what to think. There were many amusing parts that I was sorry not to have anyone to share with, but on the other hand rather too much perpiness for me to want to recommend it to any of my siblings.

The last chapter or two were too rushed. The lack of a proper ending disappointed me.

Still, much more enjoyable than studying for my test tomorrow. ;)
Annette
Nov 27, 2013 Annette rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi, baen-free
I'm frankly ashamed to admit that I finished books that I give only two stars, but I did. It is books like this one that reveal to me the extent of my current sci-fi/fantasy addiction. I've been scraping the bottom of the barrel at Baen's free library, and having read a short story by this author that I found interesting, I took a chance on this one. Sadly, it was a strike out. A total lack of originality in the plot: unlikely band of heroes must quest for a set of Macguffins scattered across th ...more
Dayl Thomas
Jul 21, 2011 Dayl Thomas rated it really liked it
Greetings one and all! After reading "Rats, Bats and Vats" (RBV) and "The Rats, the Bats and the Ugly" (RBU), I thought I would try Dave Freer's first novel. I'm very happy I did. It starts off on three different paths that eventually meet up and that's when things really take off.
I loved the characterization as you could either totally empathize with the characters or completely loath them. The bad guy in this book is one of the best I have ever seen.
The book is very gritty and feels like h
Nicholas
Nov 14, 2013 Nicholas rated it did not like it
First off, darn it, Goodreads, 2 stars doesn't mean it was ok. Means it was subpar.

This book. . .

The writing isn't terrible, there are a couple of decent ideas, and a handful of decent scenes.

The protagonist has no personality. Totally uninteresting. The antagonist is also boring and stupidly competent. The love interest is a hateful little troll of a woman that we're supposed to think gets better by the end of the book. She doesn't.

Ultimately, there are two basically likable characters, and
Dantegideon
Dec 08, 2015 Dantegideon rated it it was ok
Didn't really grip.
Captainbitmap
Feb 22, 2010 Captainbitmap rated it it was amazing
Very good read, though the last two chapters seemed rushed, and the race of humans brought out of the hive - after generations of imprisonment - showed no sign of culture shock.

Nominally, it's a science fiction novel, but it might appeal to people who enjoyed the likes of Scott Lynch's "The Lies of Lock Lamora", "The Assassin's Apprentice" by Robin Hobb and/or Brandon Sanderson's "Mistborn." Oh, and it's more pacey than those three books, btw.
Paul
Mar 13, 2011 Paul rated it really liked it
Great book. Believable mediaeval quest-type fantasy seamlessly blended with high-tech science fiction, and an engaging set of protagonists. Some poignant moments,lots of action, multiple sub-plots and a nive romance. I would thoroughly recommend this book.
David
May 16, 2013 David rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fantasy
Unexpectedly good fantasy/science fiction novel. Fast-paced, high fantasy overtones, good characters and situations. This book was from the Baen Free Library.
Greg
Aug 11, 2012 Greg rated it liked it
An interesting book, colonist set down on a world in a lower level of technology with psionics thrown in to make it more fun.
Tania Shipman
Sep 04, 2011 Tania Shipman rated it it was amazing
I love this book. I hope Dave writes more in this universe sometime.
Bill
Dec 07, 2013 Bill rated it liked it
A pretty good first effort on Freer' part. A free ebook from Baen books.
Ali Jones
Ali Jones marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Rob Bender
Rob Bender marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Birdfox
Birdfox marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Dale Walker Jr
Dale Walker Jr marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Mihdi Correia
Mihdi Correia marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Michael Gilchrist
Michael Gilchrist rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2016
Colin
Colin rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2016
André
André marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Maskman
Maskman rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2016
Ember
Ember rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2016
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Curtis Robison
Curtis Robison marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
R K
R K marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Harold V.
Harold V. marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Jackson Bell
Jackson Bell marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Dmitri
Dmitri rated it liked it
May 22, 2016
Ed Surrett
Ed Surrett rated it liked it
May 21, 2016
Madison Mega-Mara...: "The Forlorn" by David Freer 1 3 Aug 04, 2012 02:37PM
  • Seas of Venus (Seas of Venus, #1-2)
  • The Creatures of Man
  • Sleipnir
  • Planetfall
  • The Hub: Dangerous Territory (The Hub)
  • Stars Over Stars (Heyoka Blackeagle, #2)
  • Mother of Demons
  • A Plague of Demons & Other Stories
  • The Warslayer: The Incredibly True Adventures of Vixen the Slayer, the Beginning
  • Pandora's Legions
  • Wisdom of the Fox (Gerin the Fox, #2-3)
  • Star Soldiers (Central Control, #1-2)
  • Earthweb
  • Med Ship (Med Service, #1-4)
  • David Falkayn: Star Trader (Technic Civilization 2)
  • The Multiplex Man