A Mankind Witch  (Heirs of Alexandria, #1.5)

A Mankind Witch (Heirs of Alexandria #1.5)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  174 ratings  ·  13 reviews
(Starred Review) ?In Freer's superior heroic fantasy novel, set in 16th-century Scandinavia, allies of a demon try to thwart Christian missionary-magicians from the Holy Roman Empire. Freer ("The Forlorn") wisely concentrates on individual participants within this big struggle: a shipwrecked Barbary corsair, Cair Aidin, branded as a worthless thrall; a good-hearted but ins...more
Mass Market Paperback, 512 pages
Published February 27th 2007 by Baen (first published February 27th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about A Mankind Witch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Mankind Witch

Jim
From Publishers Weekly

Starred Review. In Freer's superior heroic fantasy novel, set in 16th-century Scandinavia, allies of a demon try to thwart Christian missionary-magicians from the Holy Roman Empire. Freer (_The Forlorn_) wisely concentrates on individual participants within this big struggle: a shipwrecked Barbary corsair, Cair Aidin, branded as a worthless thrall; a good-hearted but insecure princess; a spectacularly evil troll hag and her grendel son; and a team led by the Holy Roman em

Jennavier
Wow! I'm so glad I read this. Written as a sort of aside to a larger series, A Mankind Witch takes two of my favorite characters from the Heirs to Alexandria series and sets them off on their own adventure. I loved the addition of Cair and Sginy to the cast, and I'm kind of bitter that they're probably one offs. A Mankind Witch loses a star for occasional plot incoherence, but gains more from being such a fun and satisfying read.
Janet
As the only single-author entry into the alternative 16th-century Heirs of Alexandria series, Dave Freer's A Mankind Witch isn't quite as rich as the rest of the collaborations between Mercedes Lackey, Eric Flint and Dave Freer, but it's a vivid and entertaining side story in an previously unexplored area of their map: Scandinavia. Freer is fantastic with historical and mythological details in the region, with especially fun kobolds and dwarves. He gives a few grin-worthy vignettes about familia...more
Howard Brazee
The setting is 1538, mostly in Telemark, in a world where there is magic practiced by both Christian and Northern religions. The title character was a real life Barbary pirate who doesn't believe in magic, but after being captured by the North men centers the plot.

I really enjoyed the book.

Note, it has a glossary in the back, and the e-book should have had links.

Actually, all e-book readers should look first for glossaries before going to their dictionaries.
Joe Moley
Virtually unreadable.

While the setting is intriguing, the dialogue and characters are anything but. I love historical fiction, especially with some fantasy thrown in. Unfortunately, there is simply nothing here. We get glimpses of a much larger world, but again nothing comes of it. There is no character building other than a few pathetic attempts at introduction. There are so many proper names and titles thrown around with no definitions to clear things up that it makes following any of the mai...more
Beverly
I liked it...and I didn't. There were parts of the book where I wished I was reading another book and that I never wanted to read again. And then there were parts where it was really good.

I think this was a case of my particular preferences not matching the writing style, more than anything. I can't really pin down why certain parts rubbed me the wrong way, but I will say that I disliked the spots where the surrounding scenery was vague and I had no idea where the characters were.
Bill
Manfred and Erik, our favorite knights from Shadow of the Lion, are in the north country on a mission for the Holy Roman Emperor.
Roberto
Fun and entertaining. It's a sort of volume 1.5 of the "Heirs of Alexandria" series, and if you read any of those, you could call it "Prince Manfred goes to Norway".

Lighter in tone, not surprising since it has a different author, it is a good fantasy/adventure book.
Cindy
Good fill in story. We knew that Eric and Manfred had an adventure after leaving Venice and before traveling to the Holy Land. This is the story of that adventure.

Several new interesting characters and I hope they show up in later books of this series!
Leons1701
Despite a few oddities caused at least in part by Freer not working with his collaborators on this one and the later decision to take the series in some directions Freer clearly did not anticipate, this is a solid entry in the Heirs of Alexandria series.
Mickey Schulz
David Greer's standalone book on what happens to Prince Manfred and Erik Hakkonsen between Shadow of the Lion and This Rough Magic. Very nice.
Britt, Book Habitue
May 08, 2009 Britt, Book Habitue marked it as to-read
Read as part of Heirs of Alexandria-- takes place in between the other 2.
colleen
read 12.01.05
Deessedivinee
Deessedivinee marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
James Kiely
James Kiely marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Shawnda
Shawnda marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Tsubaki
Tsubaki marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Alice
Alice is currently reading it
Jun 23, 2014
  • Much Fall of Blood (Heirs of Alexandria, #3)
  • The Dance of Time (Belisarius, #6)
  • Warlord (Raj Whitehall, #1-2)
  • The Stars at War (Starfire, #1-3)
  • Exodus (Starfire, #5)
  • Princess of Wands (Special Circumstances, #1)
Rats, Bats & Vats (The Rats and the Bats, #1) Pyramid Scheme (Pyramid, #1) The Forlorn Dragon's Ring Dog and Dragon