Start by marking “A Mankind Witch (Heirs of Alexandria, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
A Mankind Witch  (Heirs of Alexandria, #1.5)

A Mankind Witch (Heirs of Alexandria #1.5)

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  249 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
To the North of the Holy Roman Empire lie the pagan Norse-lands. It is here that Manfred, Prince of Brittany, and his Icelandic bodyguard, Erik, must venture in the dead of winter, to a rugged land of trolls and ice. Their quest: to find a pagan relic.
Mass Market Paperback, 512 pages
Published February 27th 2007 by Baen (first published February 27th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about A Mankind Witch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Mankind Witch

Jim
Mar 02, 2014 Jim rated it really liked it
From Publishers Weekly

Starred Review. In Freer's superior heroic fantasy novel, set in 16th-century Scandinavia, allies of a demon try to thwart Christian missionary-magicians from the Holy Roman Empire. Freer (_The Forlorn_) wisely concentrates on individual participants within this big struggle: a shipwrecked Barbary corsair, Cair Aidin, branded as a worthless thrall; a good-hearted but insecure princess; a spectacularly evil troll hag and her grendel son; and a team led by the Holy Roman em

Jennavier
Nov 04, 2012 Jennavier rated it really liked it
Wow! I'm so glad I read this. Written as a sort of aside to a larger series, A Mankind Witch takes two of my favorite characters from the Heirs to Alexandria series and sets them off on their own adventure. I loved the addition of Cair and Sginy to the cast, and I'm kind of bitter that they're probably one offs. A Mankind Witch loses a star for occasional plot incoherence, but gains more from being such a fun and satisfying read.
Janet
As the only single-author entry into the alternative 16th-century Heirs of Alexandria series, Dave Freer's A Mankind Witch isn't quite as rich as the rest of the collaborations between Mercedes Lackey, Eric Flint and Dave Freer, but it's a vivid and entertaining side story in an previously unexplored area of their map: Scandinavia. Freer is fantastic with historical and mythological details in the region, with especially fun kobolds and dwarves. He gives a few grin-worthy vignettes about familia ...more
Howard Brazee
Sep 10, 2014 Howard Brazee rated it really liked it
The setting is 1538, mostly in Telemark, in a world where there is magic practiced by both Christian and Northern religions. The title character was a real life Barbary pirate who doesn't believe in magic, but after being captured by the North men centers the plot.

I really enjoyed the book.

Note, it has a glossary in the back, and the e-book should have had links.

Actually, all e-book readers should look first for glossaries before going to their dictionaries.
Joe Moley
Nov 28, 2008 Joe Moley rated it did not like it
Virtually unreadable.

While the setting is intriguing, the dialogue and characters are anything but. I love historical fiction, especially with some fantasy thrown in. Unfortunately, there is simply nothing here. We get glimpses of a much larger world, but again nothing comes of it. There is no character building other than a few pathetic attempts at introduction. There are so many proper names and titles thrown around with no definitions to clear things up that it makes following any of the mai
Kenneth Flusche
Dec 31, 2014 Kenneth Flusche rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Freer did it held me page one to page last I still don't understand Norce legionds but the story flowed
George Ashmore
Jul 08, 2015 George Ashmore rated it it was amazing
A great Book. I cant believe my library missed getting this between the 1st & 3d parts of this series. Facinating fantasy, great characters and fine action, all well written & believable. Various characters coming together and becoming a wonderful read about magis and adventure.
Beverly
I liked it...and I didn't. There were parts of the book where I wished I was reading another book and that I never wanted to read again. And then there were parts where it was really good.

I think this was a case of my particular preferences not matching the writing style, more than anything. I can't really pin down why certain parts rubbed me the wrong way, but I will say that I disliked the spots where the surrounding scenery was vague and I had no idea where the characters were.
Bill
Jul 24, 2014 Bill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Manfred and Erik, our favorite knights from Shadow of the Lion, are in the north country on a mission for the Holy Roman Emperor.
Roberto
Nov 18, 2008 Roberto rated it liked it
Fun and entertaining. It's a sort of volume 1.5 of the "Heirs of Alexandria" series, and if you read any of those, you could call it "Prince Manfred goes to Norway".

Lighter in tone, not surprising since it has a different author, it is a good fantasy/adventure book.
Cindy
Jun 06, 2013 Cindy rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
Good fill in story. We knew that Eric and Manfred had an adventure after leaving Venice and before traveling to the Holy Land. This is the story of that adventure.

Several new interesting characters and I hope they show up in later books of this series!
Leons1701
Jul 02, 2013 Leons1701 rated it liked it
Despite a few oddities caused at least in part by Freer not working with his collaborators on this one and the later decision to take the series in some directions Freer clearly did not anticipate, this is a solid entry in the Heirs of Alexandria series.
Joe
Sep 23, 2014 Joe rated it really liked it
Much better than I expected.
Oh this was a joy to read.
Dave Freer is a very easy read.

Magic, monsters and trolls. Swords, dwarves and a Princess.
Much more than I had hoped.

read this
Mickey Schulz
Dec 22, 2009 Mickey Schulz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf-fantasy
David Greer's standalone book on what happens to Prince Manfred and Erik Hakkonsen between Shadow of the Lion and This Rough Magic. Very nice.
Britt, Book Habitue
May 08, 2009 Britt, Book Habitue marked it as to-read
Read as part of Heirs of Alexandria-- takes place in between the other 2.
colleen
Nov 18, 2007 colleen rated it liked it
Shelves: scpl, fantasy
read 12.01.05
Charles Harper
Charles Harper marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Dame Literati
Dame Literati marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Fletcher Reed
Fletcher Reed marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Mollie
Mollie rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2016
Elliott Baez
Elliott Baez rated it really liked it
May 28, 2016
Becky Andreasen
Becky Andreasen marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Donald L. Koskelin
Donald L. Koskelin rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2016
Alexandra Tanguay
Alexandra Tanguay marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Behzat
Behzat rated it really liked it
May 03, 2016
Carolyn McMahon
Carolyn McMahon is currently reading it
May 02, 2016
Rachael
Rachael rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2016
Belinda
Belinda marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Dinala
Dinala marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
  • Much Fall of Blood (Heirs of Alexandria, #3)
  • 1812: The Rivers of War (Trail of Glory, #1)
  • An Oblique Approach (Belisarius, #1)
  • Great Kings' War
  • Ten Little Wizards (Randall Garrett's Lord Darcy)
  • The Wizard of Bright Isle

Heirs of Alexandria (4 books)
  • The Shadow of the Lion (Heirs of Alexandria, #1)
  • This Rough Magic (Heirs of Alexandria, #2)
  • Much Fall of Blood (Heirs of Alexandria, #3)
  • Burdens of the Dead (Heirs of Alexandria, #4)