Start by marking “The Cain Saga, Volume 1: Forgotten Juliet” as Want to Read:
The Cain Saga, Volume 1: Forgotten Juliet

The Cain Saga, Volume 1: Forgotten Juliet (The Cain Saga #1)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  1,058 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Born under an evil moon harboring dark secrets, Earl Cain C. Hargreves, the youthful heir of the aristocratic Hargreves family, is a man on a quest to find the truth about his family's past. Written in dark, harrowing episodes, The CAIN Saga chronicles how Cain solves the strange crimes that seem to plague his cursed existence, yet somehow bring him closer to deciphering t ...more
Published October 3rd 2006 by VIZ Media LLC (first published July 17th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Cain Saga, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cain Saga, Volume 1

Death Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 01 by Hiromu ArakawaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriVampire Knight, Vol. 01 by Matsuri Hino
Best Manga/Anime Book Ever
203rd out of 906 books — 2,614 voters
Nana, Vol. 1 by Ai YazawaParadise Kiss, Volume 1 by Ai YazawaNodame Cantabile, Vol. 1 by Tomoko NinomiyaMidnight Secretary, Vol. 01 by Tomu OhmiHoney and Clover, Vol. 1 by Chica Umino
Best Josei - Manga
40th out of 102 books — 281 voters

More lists with this book...

Holly Interlandi
These early Cain books get four instead of five stars only because the artwork doesn't get amazing until Godchild starts. Until then, though, the story is just as wonderfully morbid.
Shannon
After finishing ‘Godchild’, I thought I should go back and read this prequel series. I loved this for what it was. It brought me back to the early volumes of ‘Godchild’ where the focus was on the creepy stories and not on that whole complicated Delilah business. I would have liked to learn more about Cain because he kind of came off as some random guy solving mysteries. However, the individual stories were so fun that I didn’t even care that there wasn’t much backstory given. Kaori Yuki is the b ...more
Romana1
I started reading Kaori Yuki's Godchild series first, and decided before I finished it off (I still need to read volume 8) I would give her prequel a try. Not too bad-the 2 extra shorts that were in this volume(that seem to have nothing to do with the Cain story) were a little distracting but not too bad. I will be reading the next volume of the series. :)
Mizuki
I first read the first five volumes of The Cain Saga as a little girl. It's my first taste of gothic girl manga, and goodness, I was hooked.

The artwork is not perfect, but the twisted plots definitely is enough to cover this weakness!
Strangerealms
I think The Cain Saga, and its sequel Godchild, have the most messed up and tragic characters I've seen so far. It's dark, it's gloomy. Don't expect happy endings in these two mangas, dead bodies keep pilling up. All the characters are so complex.

The Cain Saga art is not as good as Godchild, one can guess the artist art was not mature yet unlike when she made Godchild much later. Still it's a must to read to fully understand what happens in Godchild. There are a lot of good contents to find ther
Sianeka
This series of stories introduces the young earl Cain C. Hargreaves, an eccentric loner millionaire who likes to solve mysteries and collect exotic poisons. This is the first volume of the Cain Saga stories, which has 5 volumes and then continues in the Godchild manga series.

It is rare to find manga mysteries, so I was intrigued with the premise. The book is composed of several short stories/mysteries that set up the plotline and introduce the main players. However, it's hard to get into the cha
Natalie
Tranlinh
đọc lại count cain và ôm tim đau. đó là bộ truyện bóp chim bóp đủ chỗ yếu mềm anh ngày trước. phần 2 god child chả nói nhưng phần hakushaku cain 5 tập vốn ngày xưa đã thuộc lòng nên đọc lại không hồi hộp mấy nhưng đau buồn thế nào thì vẫn nguyên si. buồn ai đoạn nào tới mức nào, vẫn thế. ở đời sẽ có những sự dầu có gặp bao nhiêu lần vẫn khiến bạn đau như mới.=))

và vẫn rồ dại cái người tóc lướt thướt=))

thế.
Ashley
The Cain Saga is the prequel to Godchild, the later installments of the Earl Cain series that Kaori Yuki wrote after she'd finished doing other projects. As a stand-alone piece, the Cain Saga starts off pretty weak but continuously gains strength as it progresses. Instead of focusing on side characters interacting with the main character, we eventually get to see stories that delve into the past of Earl Cain Hargreaves, a young man with a tortured past who inherited the title of "earl" a young a ...more
Daniel Hardy
I thought that this was a very good mystery/murder manga and I would definitely recommend it if you're into that type of thing. Some of the different stories also seemed to dwell a little on friendship, romance, and just any sort of relationship in general. That was also a nice touch.
Luminalsl
Mon premier grand coup de coeur manga de mes années lycées, par nostalgie j'ai voulu relire la série et je l'ai trouvé toujours aussi fascinante ! A mes yeux elle mérite amplement ses 5 étoiles, comme le meilleur manga de kaori yuki
Monica
This was mehhh. I mean, it was just a bunch of stories from Cain's past and the family's past. The drawings weren't as good as in Godchild. And some of the stories were just randomly thrown in there. It was alright, but more mehhh.
Taylor Troncin
Earl Cain C. Hargreaves has a lot more in his past than what others know. This shows the beginning of Cain's adventures in solving some gruesome crimes.

This book deals with some adult themes such as murder and death. These might be intense for some students, but hopefully they could work through these things and learn a little bit more about themselves.

I enjoyed the book a great deal. It was odd and quirky but I found it humorous in a strange way. It was definitely different, but I think it mig
Anna
The individual stories within this volume are interesting, a few slightly confusing since some characters look very much alike. I also like Yuki's tasteful portrait of violence and gore (or is that too much of a paradox?) However, I am not fond of Yuki's old art style.

Also, I don't think the Cain Saga really delves into Cain himself much, at least not in this volume. The summary claims that this manga looks at Cain and his past, but it does nothing of the sort. Every story is about a mystery and
Kati
The (in)famous adventures of Count Cain Hargreaves and his buttler Riff. Five stand alone stories, only three of them featuring Cain himself. All of them deal with a murder of some kind - and revenge. And all of them are painful and mostly dark. Great material that really touches you: a young a girl betrayed by her unfaithful fiancé, a young man murdered by his beloved brother, an innocent boy killed to make a movie more successful... All tragic cases. And I love that Cain knows no mercy: those ...more
amelia cavendish
I have wanted to reread The Cain Saga and Godchild for a while.

The Cain Saga is the prequel to Godchild, and begins with five separate tragic murder/mystery stories ranging from a woman seeking to recreate Romeo & Juliet, only to find her Romeo had other ideas! A daughter kept from her father by hypnosis. A secret school fraternity that discovered an immortality elixir. Blood brothers separated by fame and murder. To a brother wanting to take the family fortune for himself.

A darkly gothic st
Kayt
Fans of Yuki's sequel series to the Cain saga, Godchild, will be interested to see more of their favorite characters and also Yuki's earlier art style, with its squashed faces and other uncertain elements. It might not endear new readers to her work, but the manga's material is much the same as Godchild: intrigue, secrets, and murder, and will probably satisfy old fans with the character introductions and backstories that Godchild only hints at.
Jami Lowe
Jun 22, 2010 Jami Lowe rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone who enjoys gothic novels
i love this series! it shows a dark, morbid side of Victorian England, with a main character as smart as Sherlock Holmes but with a wicked sense of humor. these five side stories have an underlining bigger story that follows and becomes more apparent in the continuation of Godchild. i felt the mysteries were well-done with awesome and detailed artwork. the author grasps a terrifyingly dark side of humanity and twisted love making an absolutely riveting story.
Lissibith
Oh Kaori Yuki. Is there anything you can write that I won't simultaneously love and giggle madly at inappropriate moment of?

That being said, I thought the stories here were okay, not groundbreaking but entertainng and appropriately bloody and macabre. I don't know that I'd ever suggest anyone start here instead of with something like Angel Sanctuary, but it was entertaining and fun (for a specific definition of fun).
Kayla
Jan 18, 2010 Kayla rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
The Cain saga was a lot shorter then Godchild, but I enjoyed it just as much. The mysteries and the characters didn't disappoint! I realize now I probably should have read this series before Godchild, however in the end it worked out better. Anyone who has read Angel Sanctuary, or the Godchild series will also enjoy the Cain Saga.
Bookkitten *happily drowning in books*
The Cain saga is a 5 volume short story collection of the adventures of young Count Cain Hargraves & his butler Riff. Dark crime tales of the Victorian English society & the prelude to Kaori Yuki´s god Child.

Carlen manga published both series as a whole.
Denise
Aug 30, 2011 Denise rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Just started re-reading this series - took me a while to really get into the first time around and this time it's no different: This first one is not bad, but the later volumes are much better.
M-AY
Mar 20, 2011 M-AY rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
Suivons les aventures de Cain, jeune lord anglais enquêtant sur des affaires où meurtres, mal être & secrets de famille se confondent avec la folie...
La StreGa
The ability of Kaori Yuki creating mini stories based on certain themes is amazing. I really love her!
Michelle
Very good. I can't get over how weird Cain looks, though... Loved the stories in this book!
Ayashe
It was all over the place. You can't tell who's saying what and everyone looks the same!
Helena
A dark Sherlock Holmes type novel. It's very good and I highly recommend it.
Mindy
Feb 26, 2012 Mindy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Mindy by: Shannon
Quick entertaining read on the darker side.
  • Blank Slate, Vol. 1
  • Descendants of Darkness, Volume 2
  • Cantarella Vol. 1
  • Pet Shop of Horrors: Tokyo, Volume 1
  • Alichino (Alichino, #1)
  • Saiyuki, Volume 5
  • Legal Drug, Volume 3
  • Fake, Volume 02
Kaori Yuki (see also 由貴 香織里) is a female Japanese manga artist best known for her gothic manga such as Earl Cain, its sequel Godchild, and Angel Sanctuary. Yuki debuted in 1987 with Natsufuku no Erii (夏服のエリー) which ran in the manga anthology Bessatsu Hana to Yume published by Hakusensha.

Her work is typically serialized in one of Hakusensha's two shōjo manga anthologies, Bessatsu Hana to Yume and
More about Kaori Yuki...