Start by marking “The Cain Saga, Volume 01” as Want to Read:
The Cain Saga, Volume 01

The Cain Saga, Volume 01 (The Cain Saga #1)

3.97  ·  Rating Details ·  1,348 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Born under an evil moon harboring dark secrets, Earl Cain C. Hargreves, the youthful heir of the aristocratic Hargreves family, is a man on a quest to find the truth about his family's past. Written in dark, harrowing episodes, The CAIN Saga chronicles how Cain solves the strange crimes that seem to plague his cursed existence, yet somehow bring him closer to deciphering t ...more
Published October 3rd 2006 by VIZ Media LLC (first published July 17th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Cain Saga, Volume 01, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cain Saga, Volume 01

Death Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 by Hiromu ArakawaFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri Hino
Best Manga Book Ever
188th out of 867 books — 3,253 voters
Nana, Vol. 1 by Ai YazawaParadise Kiss, Vol. 1 by Ai YazawaNodame Cantabile, Vol. 1 by Tomoko NinomiyaMidnight Secretary, Vol. 01 by Tomu OhmiHoney and Clover, Vol. 1 by 羽海野チカ
Best Josei - Manga
35th out of 127 books — 370 voters

More lists with this book...

Holly Interlandi
Jul 07, 2007 Holly Interlandi rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, kaori-yuki
These early Cain books get four instead of five stars only because the artwork doesn't get amazing until Godchild starts. Until then, though, the story is just as wonderfully morbid.
Zala
[My rating and following review are directed at all (five) volumes of The Cain Saga.]

After reading God child's first volume and finding out that it's a sequel I almost immediately picked up this one. The promises and reviews were very laudatory and therefore my expectations heaped.

I can assure that it's an amazing story and its plot completely overshadowes the lesser art.

This is the tale of the young count Cain C. Hargreaves who has a penchant for collecting poisons and solving (murder) mysterie
Rebecca
Jan 09, 2015 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
I loved this. It was like a manga version of Poe. It was beautiful. Corpses inside statues of angels, femme fatales!!
Strangerealms
I think The Cain Saga, and its sequel Godchild, have the most messed up and tragic characters I've seen so far. It's dark, it's gloomy. Don't expect happy endings in these two mangas, dead bodies keep pilling up. All the characters are so complex.

The Cain Saga art is not as good as Godchild, one can guess the artist art was not mature yet unlike when she made Godchild much later. Still it's a must to read to fully understand what happens in Godchild. There are a lot of good contents to find ther
Conina
Jun 17, 2016 Conina rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
Убийства, призраци, мистерии: не звучи никак зле. Артът е чудесен. Доста ми харесва и графа. Но просто не ме грабва, засега поне.
Kati
Jul 18, 2010 Kati rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The (in)famous adventures of Count Cain Hargreaves and his buttler Riff. Five stand alone stories, only three of them featuring Cain himself. All of them deal with a murder of some kind - and revenge. And all of them are painful and mostly dark. Great material that really touches you: a young a girl betrayed by her unfaithful fiancé, a young man murdered by his beloved brother, an innocent boy killed to make a movie more successful... All tragic cases. And I love that Cain knows no mercy: those ...more
Sadie Bermingham
Mar 24, 2015 Sadie Bermingham rated it it was amazing
The four volumes comprising the Cain Saga are the beginning of a beautifully illustrated manga story that culminates in the eight part Godchild series.
Earl Cain C. Hargreaves is the seventeen year old heir to his wealthy parents' fortune. The dark crimes committed by his father drove Cain to poison him and push him from a window of the family castle. Alexis, his father, is believed dead, but his will lives on in the shape of the dark organisiation Delilah, whose members shadow the footsteps of
Shannon
Jan 25, 2014 Shannon rated it liked it
Shelves: creepy, manga, 2014
After finishing ‘Godchild’, I thought I should go back and read this prequel series. I loved this for what it was. It brought me back to the early volumes of ‘Godchild’ where the focus was on the creepy stories and not on that whole complicated Delilah business. I would have liked to learn more about Cain because he kind of came off as some random guy solving mysteries. However, the individual stories were so fun that I didn’t even care that there wasn’t much backstory given. Kaori Yuki is the b ...more
Yoda Bor
Jan 12, 2016 Yoda Bor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Le Comte Cain est un drôle de jeune homme. Rarement au premier plan, il donne pourtant l’impression d’attirer à lui toutes les situations étranges et les enquêtes mystérieuses.
Spécialiste en poisons, c’est un personnage énigmatique sur lequel nous n’avons à peu près aucune information et qui n’apparaît même pas dans chacune des aventures.

Kaori Yuki fait encore une fois un travail remarquable.
De tout ce que j’ai pu découvrir d’elle cette année, je pense que c’est le manga que je préfère.
Sombre, g
Kitty Holmes
Feb 07, 2015 Kitty Holmes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
[Reseña Global 13/13]

La saga de Caín es un manga de terror gótico, con una historia llena de intriga y personajes siniestros, pero cuyos deseos son tan cercanos que a veces es imposible no conectar con ellos.

Por mi parte, se queda en mi estantería y me han entrado muchas ganas de leer Angel Sanctuary, la otra obra de la autora publicada en España.

Lo recomiendo para todos los fans del terror, y que no os pare el hecho de que sea un shojo (porque sé que hay muchos reticentes al género) porque del
Sianeka
Mar 26, 2008 Sianeka rated it liked it
Shelves: manga, current
This series of stories introduces the young earl Cain C. Hargreaves, an eccentric loner millionaire who likes to solve mysteries and collect exotic poisons. This is the first volume of the Cain Saga stories, which has 5 volumes and then continues in the Godchild manga series.

It is rare to find manga mysteries, so I was intrigued with the premise. The book is composed of several short stories/mysteries that set up the plotline and introduce the main players. However, it's hard to get into the cha
Natalie
Katy
Nov 16, 2015 Katy rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
This series is a prequel to Godchild, but they were released in the US concurrently. As such, it's a little jarring to see the art so different from Godchild, as many have pointed out. Still, it isn't AWFUL by any means.

In general, I prefer the episodic nature of this series over the long, winding mystery of Godchild, but I like some stories more than others, usually based on how attached I become to the characters. Here, my favorites were "Branded Bibi" and "Double." I felt that "Forgotten Juli
Tranlinh
Mar 29, 2014 Tranlinh rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
đọc lại count cain và ôm tim đau. đó là bộ truyện bóp chim bóp đủ chỗ yếu mềm anh ngày trước. phần 2 god child chả nói nhưng phần hakushaku cain 5 tập vốn ngày xưa đã thuộc lòng nên đọc lại không hồi hộp mấy nhưng đau buồn thế nào thì vẫn nguyên si. buồn ai đoạn nào tới mức nào, vẫn thế. ở đời sẽ có những sự dầu có gặp bao nhiêu lần vẫn khiến bạn đau như mới.=))

và vẫn rồ dại cái người tóc lướt thướt=))

thế.
Ashley
Sep 02, 2007 Ashley rated it liked it
The Cain Saga is the prequel to Godchild, the later installments of the Earl Cain series that Kaori Yuki wrote after she'd finished doing other projects. As a stand-alone piece, the Cain Saga starts off pretty weak but continuously gains strength as it progresses. Instead of focusing on side characters interacting with the main character, we eventually get to see stories that delve into the past of Earl Cain Hargreaves, a young man with a tortured past who inherited the title of "earl" a young a ...more
Hannah Thomas
Feb 16, 2015 Hannah Thomas rated it it was ok
I do love Gothic stories; however, this didn't catch my attention as well. I tried reading on, but it was very hard for me. Also, the series was more in to describing what the main character does (more like doing one part of real life at a time) and not a continuous plot that I was looking for
Daniel Hardy
Feb 17, 2014 Daniel Hardy rated it really liked it
I thought that this was a very good mystery/murder manga and I would definitely recommend it if you're into that type of thing. Some of the different stories also seemed to dwell a little on friendship, romance, and just any sort of relationship in general. That was also a nice touch.
Luminalsl
Aug 28, 2014 Luminalsl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mon premier grand coup de coeur manga de mes années lycées, par nostalgie j'ai voulu relire la série et je l'ai trouvé toujours aussi fascinante ! A mes yeux elle mérite amplement ses 5 étoiles, comme le meilleur manga de kaori yuki
Taylor Troncin
Dec 27, 2015 Taylor Troncin rated it liked it
Shelves: pre-2016-read
Earl Cain C. Hargreaves has a lot more in his past than what others know. This shows the beginning of Cain's adventures in solving some gruesome crimes.

This book deals with some adult themes such as murder and death. These might be intense for some students, but hopefully they could work through these things and learn a little bit more about themselves.

I enjoyed the book a great deal. It was odd and quirky but I found it humorous in a strange way. It was definitely different, but I think it mig
Anna
The individual stories within this volume are interesting, a few slightly confusing since some characters look very much alike. I also like Yuki's tasteful portrait of violence and gore (or is that too much of a paradox?) However, I am not fond of Yuki's old art style.

Also, I don't think the Cain Saga really delves into Cain himself much, at least not in this volume. The summary claims that this manga looks at Cain and his past, but it does nothing of the sort. Every story is about a mystery and
Katherine
May 30, 2015 Katherine rated it it was amazing
Very excited to finally start this series!!!!
Emily G
Dec 02, 2013 Emily G rated it really liked it
I have wanted to reread The Cain Saga and Godchild for a while.

The Cain Saga is the prequel to Godchild, and begins with five separate tragic murder/mystery stories ranging from a woman seeking to recreate Romeo & Juliet, only to find her Romeo had other ideas! A daughter kept from her father by hypnosis. A secret school fraternity that discovered an immortality elixir. Blood brothers separated by fame and murder. To a brother wanting to take the family fortune for himself.

A darkly gothic st
Kayt
Aug 06, 2015 Kayt rated it liked it
Fans of Yuki's sequel series to the Cain saga, Godchild, will be interested to see more of their favorite characters and also Yuki's earlier art style, with its squashed faces and other uncertain elements. It might not endear new readers to her work, but the manga's material is much the same as Godchild: intrigue, secrets, and murder, and will probably satisfy old fans with the character introductions and backstories that Godchild only hints at.
Jami Lowe
Jun 22, 2010 Jami Lowe rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone who enjoys gothic novels
i love this series! it shows a dark, morbid side of Victorian England, with a main character as smart as Sherlock Holmes but with a wicked sense of humor. these five side stories have an underlining bigger story that follows and becomes more apparent in the continuation of Godchild. i felt the mysteries were well-done with awesome and detailed artwork. the author grasps a terrifyingly dark side of humanity and twisted love making an absolutely riveting story.
Lissibith
Mar 03, 2013 Lissibith rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, manga, horror
Oh Kaori Yuki. Is there anything you can write that I won't simultaneously love and giggle madly at inappropriate moment of?

That being said, I thought the stories here were okay, not groundbreaking but entertainng and appropriately bloody and macabre. I don't know that I'd ever suggest anyone start here instead of with something like Angel Sanctuary, but it was entertaining and fun (for a specific definition of fun).
Romana1
Sep 14, 2010 Romana1 rated it liked it
I started reading Kaori Yuki's Godchild series first, and decided before I finished it off (I still need to read volume 8) I would give her prequel a try. Not too bad-the 2 extra shorts that were in this volume(that seem to have nothing to do with the Cain story) were a little distracting but not too bad. I will be reading the next volume of the series. :)
Bookkitten
The Cain saga is a 5 volume short story collection of the adventures of young Count Cain Hargraves & his butler Riff. Dark crime tales of the Victorian English society & the prelude to Kaori Yukis god Child.

Carlen manga published both series as a whole.
Monicaaa
Feb 19, 2016 Monicaaa rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
This was mehhh. I mean, it was just a bunch of stories from Cain's past and the family's past. The drawings weren't as good as in Godchild. And some of the stories were just randomly thrown in there. It was alright, but more mehhh.
Mizuki
Mar 13, 2013 Mizuki rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, wonderful
I first read the first five volumes of The Cain Saga as a little girl. It's my first taste of gothic girl manga, and goodness, I was hooked.

The artwork is not perfect, but the twisted plots definitely is enough to cover this weakness!
Miliana
Jul 31, 2015 Miliana rated it really liked it
I was surprised when I read this series, dreading to start this series even! I've read Angel Sanctuary, Fairy Cube, and Godchild and I did not like any of them. Then I read The Cain Saga and I really enjoyed it!
  • Blank Slate, Vol. 1
  • Alichino (Alichino, #1)
  • Descendants of Darkness, Volume 5
  • Pet Shop of Horrors: Tokyo, Volume 1 (Pet Shop of Horrors: Tokyo, #1)
  • Cantarella Vol. 1
  • Wish, Vol. 01 (Wish, #1)
  • Fake, Volume 07
  • After School Nightmare, Volume 4
  • Black Knight, Volume 01
  • Bizenghast, Volume 2 (Bizenghast, #2)
Kaori Yuki (see also 由貴 香織里) is a female Japanese manga artist best known for her gothic manga such as Earl Cain, its sequel Godchild, and Angel Sanctuary. Yuki debuted in 1987 with Natsufuku no Erii (夏服のエリー) which ran in the manga anthology Bessatsu Hana to Yume published by Hakusensha.

Her work is typically serialized in one of Hakusensha's two shōjo manga anthologies, Bessatsu Hana to Yume and
More about Kaori Yuki...