Start by marking “Claiming Georgia Tate” as Want to Read:
Claiming Georgia Tate

Claiming Georgia Tate

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  285 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
When her beloved grandmother dies, a young girl's minister grandfather unwittingly sends her to live with an abusive father in this rich, wrenchingly honest southern novel infused with humor and heart.

Twelve-year-old Georgia Tate wishes she could stay home forever with her no-nonsense nana, her preacher granddaddy, and her sassy friend Ginger, celebrating church revivals a
Published May 24th 2005 by Candlewick Press

Megan
This is one of those books that you eat in one sitting. Georgia Tate is a character that will stay in my mind forever. The writing is profound and difficult topics are handled in an extremely tender way. You will want to meet the people in this book, and claim Georgia Tate as your own.
Rene
Jan 09, 2009 Rene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ariel Uppstrom
Cynthea
Aug 26, 2011 Cynthea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, nypl
I randomly picked this book up when I was in the library a few weeks back. I'm a sucker for "nice" covers and this one seemed fairly striking and haunting. I also liked the quote on the cover "An ode to the solace of family, the mercy of strangers, and the healing power of hope." I knew nothing about it and never even read the back cover, or saw that Judy Blume had a quote on it.

While billed as YA, this book contains very strong language and very powerful and grown-up themes having to do with i
Loraine Tabayoyong
Aug 12, 2012 Loraine Tabayoyong rated it really liked it
Bought this from BOOKSALE for only 45pesos!

This is a story about a 12-year-old girl who lives with her grandparents. Georgia Tate, with a strict christian way of life because of her Grandaddy Tate who's a preacher, begins a chapter of her life where she discovers the cruelty of this world.

She soon finds out the truth behind her mother's tragedy and before she, Nana and Grandaddy Tate can talk about it, Nana dies.

Grandaddy Tate decides to send Georgia to live with her father. What he doesn't know
Katrina Ly
May 17, 2012 Katrina Ly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
wow, this is one of the most powerful and moving stories i have ever red.

to those who don't know, this is a story about a girl named georgia tate who lives happily and innocently with her grandma and granddad. they love her fiercely and she loves them right back just as fiercely. then one day, her grandma dies suddenly, she learns a truth about her mama that everyone else knew except her and she's sent to live with her dad and nothing is ever the same. her dad lives with his wife but he is abus
kimberly
Feb 11, 2008 kimberly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to kimberly by: Judy Blume
Shelves: own, kwls-author, 2008
"life is two things. it's terror and it's joy." I am glad I read this book during lent. i think claiming georgia tate is about claiming the joy in your life. georgia constantly faces terror, but she has a loving family with joyful moments. i loved the conversations about religion and exploration of race and gender.

still, a terrifically sad book. i feel in some ways it was too short, because it felt like bad event happening after bad event. there is nothing in between these terrible moments exce
Alee
Mar 31, 2010 Alee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gigi Amateau's debut novel, Claiming Georgia Tate, is a story of survival.

Georgia is a young girl with a hard life. She has lived with her grandparents for as long as she can remember, and loves them dearly. When her grandmother dies unexpectedly, Georgia is sent to live with her abusive father. She faces many struggles and has to grow up quickly. Using her quick wit and trusting instincts, she is able to get out of a dangerous situation. Although Georgia is deeply hurt, she learns to draw out t
Sophia Kramer
Mar 29, 2014 Sophia Kramer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Amateau is simply one of the best writers for YA today--her work goes far beyond the ordinary and should be read widely by adults as well.
Bethany Walker
Apr 18, 2016 Bethany Walker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourite-books
This was an absolutely beautiful book. It touched my heart in so many ways and made me think. I adore it and I definitely won't forget it for a long long time.
Kathleen Houlihan
Mar 13, 2009 Kathleen Houlihan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While reading this book, I was very captivated and couldn't put it down...but after a bit of separation from it, I wonder if the story didn't tie up the traumatic issues too neatly with too little fuss. On the other hand, perhaps it reflects reality more than an over-dramatizing the situation. Claiming Georgia Tate is about a girl who is sent away from her grandparents to live with a father she barely knows -- a father who turns out to be a child molester. I'm trying to decide if it would be app ...more
Tori
Feb 13, 2012 Tori rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a well written book, the character Georgia practically jumps off the page. I loved how the book showed a clear contrast between the innocent girl she was in the beginning to how she had matured beyond her years by the end of the book. It was at times moving and at others deeply disturbing due to it's central issue of abuse. I recommend it as a great book to read together with a parent or child because it leaves the reader with allot of scope for discussion. I highly recommend this book, ...more
Kathryn Bain
May 02, 2013 Kathryn Bain rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books that pulls you in. You need to keep reading to see what happens. Will Georiga discover the truth of about her mother? Will she make it back to her grandfather? Will her father discover where she's hiding?

It's an easy read so it goes by quick. Written in first person point-of-view pulls you into Georgia's experience.

There's some curse words, including the "f" word, but not many. They aren't used for shock, but in a place you would expect cursing.

I can't wait to read a
Michelle
Aug 26, 2014 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished-in-2014
4.5 stars for Claiming Georgia Tate. This is a haunting tale. Georgia Tate is a magnetic character. I felt such grief, anger, regret, and hope reading this novel. Mr. Bennett's joy game was perfect.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
What a great book! Georgia is such an interesting character, and her voice certainly rang true. I like the way Georgia resolves to make a good life for herself despite the bad things that happened to her, and how she sees and likes people for who they are and not for their outward appearances. I also like the joy game she and Mr. Bennett play at the end-- I may try that myself! I can hardly believe that Mississippi is so racially divided in this day and age, though. I'm definitely ordering a cop ...more
Christin
Where to start?
Well I did expect more from this book, but I did love it!
I loved how there was religion and it was truely god who controlled Georgia Tate's life, even in the end he came through for her.
I did however find this book kind of boring, the first 40 pages where she is at home again after staying with her dad and Sissy for what 3 days? Those 40 pages were so long... O man.. It did help though develop characters.. But it was so dry!
I loved all the people she met especially tamika, she or
Vickiehall
Jul 17, 2009 Vickiehall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written. Georgia Tate made me smile and then ache in the pit of my stomach. Just like you feel when you're a twelve yr. old girl. I almost put it down when the abuse first started, because I just didn't want it to be "that" kind of book. But it wasn't. It turned out to be a book I read straight through -- at the pool -- crying behind my sunglasses. Her insights could be quite profound, especially for her age and her upbringing, but she left me happy and sad and hopeful.
Linda Ostrom
Apr 17, 2014 Linda Ostrom rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kobo-read
A nicely written story about a twelve year old girl, living with her grandparents in the south. Her grandfather is a preacher and she is very happy living with them. She has been told that her mother died when she was young.

Her father, who has been out of the picture since she was a baby, has come to take her for the summer, and he and his new wife take her to Florida where things start to go very wrong for her.

Georgia Tate is wise for her years.

A satisfying read.
Luz
Jul 04, 2009 Luz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Luz by: Ashley Prenza =D
Wow. This book was so sad. It's about this young, 12 year-old girl named Georgia Tate who has to deal with life before and after her Nana dies. Throughout the whole story, I cried my eyes out. It was so horrible reading all of the things she went through and how she dealt with them. This story taught me that you should always be grateful for what youh have, always have hope, and about being with family. This book was so amazing, maybe one of the saddest and happiest books I have read.
Emilee
Nov 18, 2014 Emilee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
It's hard to believe that a book about such a difficult topic could be uplifting, but it truly is. Georgia's voice rang authentic to me in a way that a lot of protagonist's in these sorts of problem books often don't. The setting also rang so true. It wasn't a hokey "bless her heart" kind of Southern that a lot of people do really badly. All I can say is that the writing, the characters, the setting, everything about it was very authentic for me. Would definitely recommend.
Cherylann
Dec 16, 2012 Cherylann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Georgia Tate is a 12 year old girl whose whole life is turned upside down when her absent father shows up and decides she should live with him. Georgia learns about trust and family secrets. This is a beautiful and heart-wrenching book that one first glance appears to be a middle grade book (especially because Georgia Tate is a tween); however, because Amateau dives into some very sensitive topics, it's probably more appropriate for grades 8 and up.
Jenna
Apr 09, 2012 Jenna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Georgia Tate is a rare character to find in books because she likes to make you think outside the box. She makes you think about love and the meaning of family.
I also felt that this book was written in a rush because there wasn't a whole lot of needed information about for example, her mother. Another thing that bothers me the most is when they talk about characters but don't have a name for them. (nana [real name?] her cousin, the thief)
Emily
Jan 30, 2009 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book got a little wierd on a couple of pages. But overall, this is one of the best books ever. It tells the story of this girl who has nothing except her nana,granddaddy, and bff Ginger and I guess you could say her father who sexually abuses her. It is the most inspiring book that I have read in a while. I teaches you not to take life for granted, make the best of what you do have, because the best things in life, start there
Roxanne
Feb 06, 2008 Roxanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
A really well-done YA novel. I heard Gigi Amateau give a reading in Key West and was very impressed. I'm glad I bought the book and got it signed. It's a really kind of dark book, for YA, kind of not an easy book. The strength of it is the voice, I think. The voice is dead-on perfect, and you just want to keep listening to the story. Highly recommended, but be prepared to feel out of sorts afterward.
Rachel
Jan 28, 2008 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the voice of young Georgia, though I think there are some inconsistencies as far as what a 12-year-old would and would not say. A nice short poignant novel that, while it does have some disturbing sequences, does not linger on them. Georgia experiences a swift rescue from her torment - I only wish more real-life young girls in this type of situation were so quickly saved from it.
Andrea
Sep 19, 2013 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really good read. Georgia Tate was a positive character with a good outlook on life. I also really liked Tamika and Marie Bernard and how they helped her. I like Georgia's total acceptance of people, she is not judgemental and recognizes the true meaning of a friend . I was glad she was able to escape her abusive father and still remain a joyful person ! You will enjoy this read!
Mia
Jul 12, 2008 Mia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was just ok because it was pretty predictable which I don't really like in a book. Also, too many unfortunate events happen right in a row to the main character which makes the story seem unrealistic. It was written in a way that made it interesting though. So I hope this review makes sense because I realized I have just contradicted myself. Oh well.
Kyla
Dec 22, 2008 Kyla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a quick, quick read. I thought I would like this book a lot more than I actually did, but with that being said, it was still a good read. It's hard to have hope for things when things happen to you, like they did to Georgia Tate. She was a strong character regardless of all the situations she was placed in. Definitely a teenage read...
Tahira
Aug 02, 2011 Tahira rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very short, and definitely not one of my favorite young adult novels. Because of its length, I felt as though the whole background and plot were very rushed and could have benefited from some more "fleshing out". I liked a lot of the alternative heroic characters described in this book, but overall it was just too short.
Naomi
Jul 30, 2011 Naomi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book for it being a young adult novel. I found my heart breaking for the innocence lost of Georgia. The novel for who it is targeted towards is relatively clean..only a couple of things that I somewhat squirmed at, but nothing that I wouldn't say don't let your preteen or early teen read it.
  • Where the Kissing Never Stops
  • Hold Me Tight
  • What Momma Left Me
  • The Gravesavers
  • Chance to Dance for You
  • Call the Shots (Swim the Fly, #3)
Gigi Amateau was born in northeastern Mississippi and raised in Mechanicsville, Virginia, just outside of Richmond. Her first young adult novel, Claiming Georgia Tate (Candlewick Press, 2005), described as “a moving first offering” by School Library Journal, was selected as a New York Public Library Book for the Teen Age, Voice of Youth Advocates Review Editor’s Choice, and a Book Sense Summer Pic ...more
More about Gigi Amateau...

“Crying makes me know I'm still real and still alive.” 11 likes
“There is something easy about being alone and deciding what to do and how to do it.” 1 likes