Start by marking “Hit The Road, Manny (The Manny Files #2)” as Want to Read:
Hit The Road, Manny (The Manny Files #2)

Hit The Road, Manny (The Manny Files #2)

4.30  ·  Rating Details  ·  142 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews

Cue the pretend drum-roll: Keats's parents have a big surprise. No, they're not having a new baby. It's -- wait for it, wait for it -- a family road trip!

Okay, so this is not exactly the birthday present Keats had in mind (no iPod?!), but when Dad parks a rented RV in the Dalinger's driveway, Keats piles in with the rest of his family -- and the manny, of course -- bou

Published September 23rd 2008 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Hit The Road, Manny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hit The Road, Manny

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Girl on the Train by Paula HawkinsHyperbole and a Half by Allie BroshHollow City by Ransom Riggs
H: Books, characters, authors, etc
160th out of 204 books — 8 voters
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo IshiguroThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark HaddonLord of the Flies by William GoldingGreat Expectations by Charles Dickens
Great writing about kids
42nd out of 49 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Jon Forsyth
Jan 09, 2015 Jon Forsyth rated it really liked it
This is a charming romp of a story about Manny, the gay nanny for a wonderfully winsome family. It’s actually the second book in the series, following The Manny Files. it reads fine as a standalone, but once I had read the Manny Files I wished I had read them in order. This book has it all – heart, humor, and a message. The story is told from the perspective of Keats, one of the four kids (the others being his sisters Lulu, India, and little Belly). Keats is in third or fourth grade and LOVES th ...more
John Frechette
Oct 16, 2008 John Frechette rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
This book made me laugh out loud.
Manda
I have a crazy love of The Manny Files. I felt that it had feeling, it had silliness, but it also had a lot of heart. Though at the end of that book, one thing that I wanted more of was to see more sides of the character of Manny - he still remained a bit elusive at the end.

Hit the Road Manny is moreso Manny's story, though still told from Keats point of view. We continue to see his upbeat zaniness, but we also get to see some more vulnerable moments, as well as go into his past. Keats now know
Bill
Mar 30, 2009 Bill rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this charming and touching Lambda Literary Award Finalist! It took a little while for me to get in to it, but once I did, I certainly enjoyed tagging along on this cross-country trip with these characters. Belly in particular is hilarious, and it's hard not to care about the Manny.

I would say the only reason this gets 4 stars and not 5 for me is that for me, the main character at times stretches the boundaries of what is believable. I get that he's precocious and advanced for a fourht
Keri Payton
Jun 17, 2014 Keri Payton rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtqiap, children, sequel
(From my blog: Quill Café)

In accordance with the FTC, I would like to disclose that I purchased this book. The opinions expressed are mine and no monetary compensation was offered to me by the author or publisher.

Keats is looking forward to having a fun summer with his family and the manny at home but his parents have a big surprise for him: a road trip!

Packed into an RV, Keats' family – his mom, dad, three sisters and the manny – all set out on a fabulous adventure across America.

On the way, th
Tiffany
Feb 06, 2010 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
Amazing. This author has a way of writing from the perspective of a third grade boy that is uncanny. I hope I have third grade boys just like Keats. I'm pretty sure I was disturbing other passengers on the plane, because this is a book that you laugh out loud to, even when you're all by yourself. Those books are so rare.

This one definitely had a more serious theme than the first one, which just alludes to the manny and Uncle max being gay until the very last page. This one really addresses it,
Ron Steven
Apr 04, 2016 Ron Steven rated it really liked it
"Hit the Road Manny" is a book not to forget, it's funny, portrays great family virtues and shows the understanding of human rights and human values. The story also has little facts here and there, as you read through the book. My favourite quote from the book
Jan
Mar 22, 2009 Jan rated it really liked it
This sequel to the original Manny Files is equally laugh-out-loud funny. Unfortunately I was reading it in public as I grabbed a lunch alone and I found myself stifling repeated giggles! Yes, it's a little heavy handed at times but it's also thoroughly lovable. I confess, I teared up a couple of times. Both of these books are terrific for talking about bullying and labeling, but also for the child like Keats who has gay family members or friends. Keats writes the last line of the story - most pe ...more
Jean
Mar 08, 2009 Jean rated it really liked it
Just like the first book about Keats and his off-the-wall family, this book made me laugh out loud. The free-wheeling manny is not featured as much as Keats' family as they travel in an RV to visit the manny's parents. They stop at various tourist destinations but the most memorable aspects are Keats' observations along the way. The story touches on negative reactions to gays, but overall the message is a positive one. I don't know if kids appreciate these books as much as adults do, but I reall ...more
Kate Hastings
Oct 09, 2008 Kate Hastings rated it it was ok
I started this book but couldn't figure out the audience this was intended for. We have it in our teen section-- but the main character is in 4th grade. He has 2 older sisters and a younger sisters. It seemed as though some of the pop-culture details,etc, are things only teens would know. Sometimes the characters in the book seem more mature than they should be, and other times too young. It didn't seem real to me.
Barb
Dec 28, 2008 Barb rated it really liked it
Shelves: from-gs
"Hit the Road, Manny" was fun and sweet but not quite as good as the the first "Manny Files." I heard this author read and talk at Watermark Books in Wichita Dec. 27, which was fun. He and the family he "mannies" are the inspiration for the stories and he seems like such a fun guy! The author said he liked his second book "Hit the Road, Manny" better than the first one "Manny Files."
Shanna
Burch is going on my favorite author's list. I'll definitely be looking forward to more from him. Most books I need breaks between so I normally break between chapter. Not with this. I love these types of authors because I can just breeze through them and get through the chapters and can't wait to see what happens next. The voice of the author has a lot to do with that.

Love it.
smalls
Jul 28, 2008 smalls marked it as to-read
This is a sequal to the Manny files book I read earlier. I liked it enough to want to read the next one. It doesn't come out until september, but I will check it out when it does. I got the reccomendation by noticing a star next to the authors name. clicked on it, and it took me to the authors goodreads page. Wonder if it is really the author?
Brandon
Aug 27, 2009 Brandon rated it really liked it
Who doesn't love a road trip?

More thought provoking than the first book. It was also very funny, but of the two, I would be much more likely to reread the first.

I liked the way it deals with some of the issues facing many today.

Loved the parallels of the book they were reading on the trip with what was going on in the story.
Tracie
Feb 10, 2009 Tracie rated it it was ok
Shelves: middle-school
A young boy and his family along with their manny hit the road for a summer trip in an RV. I liked that the family obviously liked each other and that their manny was accepted for himself. Too many times though I found the flip comments were out of place and no character was developed enough to really get attached to.
Lydia
Jun 06, 2012 Lydia rated it it was amazing
The Manny books are just sheer fun. the comedic aspect highlights the more serious aspects of the various themes of the books. However, the homosexual relationship between the manny and the protagonist's uncle is so down to earth and enlightening. I heartily recommend this series.
Lori
Nov 30, 2008 Lori rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Very cute kids book. Absolutely hilarious character and dialogue and manages to teach a heartwarming lesson about acceptance without becoming trite or sappy. I just love how the boy thinks from one random thought to another. It totally reminds me of my childhood.
Jan 23, 2011 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, glbtq
I didn't enjoy this one quite as much as the first book in the series. It was sort of lacking in plot, and felt kind of on the short side. I think it could have been better if it had been expanded, and if the author had spent a little more time on it.
Heather
Feb 13, 2010 Heather rated it really liked it
if you like young adult lit. the manny files are good reads. i myself appreciate 4th grade boy humor a lot and laughed out loud throughout the book. it's also nice to read a children's book with a gay main-character.
Clare
Aug 22, 2012 Clare rated it really liked it
This book was good, but it did nit live up to the standards of the first book in the series. It was very inspiring but put more emphasis on the manny and Uncle Max's relationship and friendship than the first.
Levi Todd
Jan 28, 2013 Levi Todd rated it really liked it
Words cannot express how much I love this series. It was a (small) step down from the first book, but not drastically. I want a third book!

Hated It/Disliked It/Apathetic/((Liked It))/Loved It
Rich
Apr 10, 2009 Rich rated it it was amazing
I love Burch's Manny Files. I'm giving this book serious thought as a read aloud to my eighth graders. A little diversity might do wonders for Livingston County.
Michael
Apr 15, 2013 Michael rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book! Our family read the book a few months before embarking on a cross-country RV trip of our own. A warm and touching story.
Becky
Dec 29, 2008 Becky rated it it was amazing
Really good. I very much enjoyed this book. Again, though, definitely not for everyone. Read reviews before picking it up. Yes, this means you.
Kathleen
Jun 08, 2009 Kathleen rated it liked it
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
I really like Burch's ability to capture child characters (although sometimes over the top). This is a sweet book.
Jeffrey
May 24, 2009 Jeffrey rated it it was amazing
I likey this one as well as the first. Very cute with some growing lessons learned by our storyteller.
Kelsey
Mar 12, 2011 Kelsey rated it it was amazing
This book made me laugh so hard it brought tears to my eyes! Great read for all ages!
Robin
Jun 08, 2009 Robin rated it it was amazing
This is such a great follow up to the Manny Files and was a wonderful funny read aloud.
Brett
Dec 07, 2009 Brett rated it really liked it
Laugh-out-loud funny & touching. Characters you really care about.
Roseann
Jun 20, 2011 Roseann rated it really liked it
What a great book to teach tweens and teens about tolerence.
  • Eight Seconds
  • The Blue Lawn
  • This High School Has Closets
  • A Question of Manhood
  • Andy Squared
  • Finding Our Way (Finding Our Way, #1)
  • Letters in the Attic
  • The Drowning of Stephan Jones
  • Orphea Proud

The Manny Files (2 books)
  • The Manny Files