Start by marking “Freak” as Want to Read:
Freak

Freak

2.78 of 5 stars 2.78  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  15 reviews
A shadow haunts the sunny streets of Venice Beach, working his way through all the women and valuables he can handle. So far he's been lucky. But too much of a good thing makes a man careless; he gets sloppy, he lets down his guard. From bizarre arrest to explosive conclusion, Freak is a wild rollercoaster of a ride, featuring impossible escapes, a dizzying manhunt, and a ...more
Published June 27th 2007 by Masterpiecepress (first published December 24th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Freak, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Freak

4cats
Apr 27, 2014 4cats rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
This is a darkly disturbing read which deals with the most unlikeable character you might come across in fiction. The novel starts with Vilenov, the central character raping a woman and the plot swiftly moves to his capture and the uncovering of a power he allegedly has which gives him control over people.

It's a difficult concept to try to show this character as a person, and I really struggled at points with it. Found the writing needing an editior, I felt it rambled at points and in my opinion
Karen
I just couldn't get into this book so I never finished it. I may try again when I have nothing else to read.
Diane
If you would like to take a surreal ride on a wild rollercoaster, Freak is the book to read. It starts out in the bizarre house of Marilyn Purly. Ms. Purly is a recluse who has her walls and windows all painted black. She is hearing voices and in a trance-like state but with it enough to let Nicolas Villenov in and with it enough to unlock her front door when he was not in the room. A raid by police catches Villenov in the act of raping Marilyn. He’s arrested and yet after the event no one remem ...more
Cheryl Anne Gardner
Freak is a thrilling and entertaining read. It has a little bit of everything: The sad pathetic tortured soul, a little mysticism and sci-fi, and a damn fine crime drama, without the overly cliché cop/attorney speak. The book is extremely dialog dependent, which gives it the intimacy of a first person narrative, while allowing for continued shifts in points of view - and dimension.

This story also makes some rather demanding statements regarding the degradation of women in today's society - the
Juliet
At times when reading Freak I found myself smiling at the wonderful phrasing, being transported back to F. Scott Fitzgerald and a bygone era of American literature. At other times it was somewhat less compelling and in places quite jumbled.

Perhaps if the book were longer, characters might be explored in more depth and the arrival of some given more announcement. However, I’m not sure the length is entirely the issue. The time given over to an elongated tour of the Venice Beach area in the guise
N. Sekar L.
I actually like this book. I like the author's way to describe Vilenov's "superpower" without making it sounds like a superpower. I like how detailed the author described the locations this story took place. Overall, who doesn't like baddass villains?

I was going to give it 3 stars, BUT THEN... I reached the last chapter. I always hate weak endings. I get it, the author wanted to tell the reader that (view spoiler)
Jimmy
Jul 25, 2014 Jimmy rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jimmy by: Barnes & Noble.com
Shelves: ebook, did-not-finish
2 STARS I Didn't Like It/It Was So-So
I did not finish reading this book. I got about half way through it before I gave up. I had a hard time getting into the story & sticking with it. For me, if I'm not enjoying/having fun reading what I'm reading then I'm waisting my time & should move on to something I would enjoy. Don't get me wrong. The story is not bad. I found Vilenov to be an interesting character. It just wasn't for me.
Shelley
It was okay. Got a little draggy and repetitive through the last third of the book. Also would have liked to see a little more substance and learn more about Nicholas. He just seemed like a drunk most of the time who could manipulate minds.
Barbara Freeman
Quite on the wild side of things. Not a typical read but a quick read. Not sure yet if I would recommend it or not. It reveals the greed and downside of life. It shows how society gets wrapped up in a trail while taking sides.
Kelly Martin
I liked this book. Most of the reviews say they couldn't get through it, but that's probably because the end is the best part
Ashley
Honestly, I didn't finish this book. I made it almost to the half way point. I just couldn't get into it.
Sheri Fresonke Harper
Oddball psychic with the power to control people.
Lindy Duree
Really odd but interesting book.
Mike
Mike added it
May 24, 2015
Kristin Pickford
Kristin Pickford marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Pinar
Pinar marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
AJ
AJ marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Angel
Angel marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Lonnie
Lonnie marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
  • The Life and Death of Bayou Billy
  • Jailbreak (Hungry, #0.5)
  • Disturbed Earth
  • Looking For Ward
  • What Tangled Webs
  • Anti-requiem: New Orleans Stories
  • Christmas Scandal...Not!
Signature Carnival Elis Royd Cream Color Mixing Color Matching: How to Mix Clean, Bright Colors and Beautiful Neutrals