Start by marking “Freak” as Want to Read:
Freak

Freak

2.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  101 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
A shadow haunts the sunny streets of Venice Beach, working his way through all the women and valuables he can handle. So far he's been lucky. But too much of a good thing makes a man careless; he gets sloppy, he lets down his guard. From bizarre arrest to explosive conclusion, Freak is a wild rollercoaster of a ride, featuring impossible escapes, a dizzying manhunt, and a ...more
Published June 27th 2007 by Masterpiecepress (first published December 24th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Freak, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Freak

4cats
Apr 27, 2014 4cats rated it it was ok
Shelves: own
This is a darkly disturbing read which deals with the most unlikeable character you might come across in fiction. The novel starts with Vilenov, the central character raping a woman and the plot swiftly moves to his capture and the uncovering of a power he allegedly has which gives him control over people.

It's a difficult concept to try to show this character as a person, and I really struggled at points with it. Found the writing needing an editior, I felt it rambled at points and in my opinion
Karen
Oct 10, 2011 Karen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, indie-books
I just couldn't get into this book so I never finished it. I may try again when I have nothing else to read.
Diane
Sep 01, 2008 Diane rated it really liked it
If you would like to take a surreal ride on a wild rollercoaster, Freak is the book to read. It starts out in the bizarre house of Marilyn Purly. Ms. Purly is a recluse who has her walls and windows all painted black. She is hearing voices and in a trance-like state but with it enough to let Nicolas Villenov in and with it enough to unlock her front door when he was not in the room. A raid by police catches Villenov in the act of raping Marilyn. He’s arrested and yet after the event no one remem ...more
Cheryl Anne Gardner
Mar 14, 2010 Cheryl Anne Gardner rated it really liked it
Freak is a thrilling and entertaining read. It has a little bit of everything: The sad pathetic tortured soul, a little mysticism and sci-fi, and a damn fine crime drama, without the overly cliché cop/attorney speak. The book is extremely dialog dependent, which gives it the intimacy of a first person narrative, while allowing for continued shifts in points of view - and dimension.

This story also makes some rather demanding statements regarding the degradation of women in today's society - the
Juliet
At times when reading Freak I found myself smiling at the wonderful phrasing, being transported back to F. Scott Fitzgerald and a bygone era of American literature. At other times it was somewhat less compelling and in places quite jumbled.

Perhaps if the book were longer, characters might be explored in more depth and the arrival of some given more announcement. However, I’m not sure the length is entirely the issue. The time given over to an elongated tour of the Venice Beach area in the guise
N. Sekar L.
Jan 02, 2013 N. Sekar L. rated it it was ok
I actually like this book. I like the author's way to describe Vilenov's "superpower" without making it sounds like a superpower. I like how detailed the author described the locations this story took place. Overall, who doesn't like baddass villains?

I was going to give it 3 stars, BUT THEN... I reached the last chapter. I always hate weak endings. I get it, the author wanted to tell the reader that (view spoiler)
Jimmy
Jul 25, 2014 Jimmy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jimmy by: Barnes & Noble.com
Shelves: ebook, did-not-finish
2 STARS I Didn't Like It/It Was So-So
I did not finish reading this book. I got about half way through it before I gave up. I had a hard time getting into the story & sticking with it. For me, if I'm not enjoying/having fun reading what I'm reading then I'm waisting my time & should move on to something I would enjoy. Don't get me wrong. The story is not bad. I found Vilenov to be an interesting character. It just wasn't for me.
Shelley
Feb 27, 2013 Shelley rated it it was ok
It was okay. Got a little draggy and repetitive through the last third of the book. Also would have liked to see a little more substance and learn more about Nicholas. He just seemed like a drunk most of the time who could manipulate minds.
Barbara Freeman
Sep 25, 2012 Barbara Freeman rated it liked it
Quite on the wild side of things. Not a typical read but a quick read. Not sure yet if I would recommend it or not. It reveals the greed and downside of life. It shows how society gets wrapped up in a trail while taking sides.
Kelly Martin
Feb 26, 2012 Kelly Martin rated it really liked it
I liked this book. Most of the reviews say they couldn't get through it, but that's probably because the end is the best part
Ashley
Nov 17, 2011 Ashley rated it it was ok
Honestly, I didn't finish this book. I made it almost to the half way point. I just couldn't get into it.
Sheri Fresonke Harper
Apr 22, 2008 Sheri Fresonke Harper rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
Oddball psychic with the power to control people.
Lindy Duree
Jan 04, 2013 Lindy Duree rated it it was amazing
Really odd but interesting book.
Melissa Pilgrim
Melissa Pilgrim marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Chanel Byrd
Chanel Byrd marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Janine LaShure
Janine LaShure marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Janet
Janet marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Richard Bao
Richard Bao marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Mandy
Mandy marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Kathy Smith
Kathy Smith marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Candace Nola
Candace Nola rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2016
Win Powell
Win Powell rated it it was ok
Apr 19, 2016
Donna Herr
Donna Herr marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Kristina David
Kristina David rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2016
mr c a horrocks
mr c a horrocks rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2016
Mr John D Leech
Mr John D Leech rated it did not like it
Apr 05, 2016
Max
Max added it
Mar 20, 2016
Jesse D'Costa
Jesse D'Costa marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
about Freak 1 1 Jun 11, 2015 02:29PM
  • The Life and Death of Bayou Billy
  • Jailbreak (Hungry, #0.5)
  • Guilty as Sin (Knight & Culverhouse, #2)
  • Jack Pine
  • Life Blood
  • The Alan Wake Files
  • Stealing Flowers
  • Just Like Old Times
  • Don't Ever Change
  • Sleep
  • Breaths in Winter
  • Spirit Thorn (A Tale of Parallel Worlds)
  • Copperhead Cove