Start by marking “Elmer and the Dragon (My Father's Dragon, #2)” as Want to Read:
Elmer and the Dragon (My Father's Dragon, #2)

Elmer and the Dragon (My Father's Dragon #2)

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,705 Ratings  ·  166 Reviews
In this sequel to My Father's Dragon. Elmer and Boris's island hopping adventures continue.
Published March 13th 2007 by Yearling (first published October 28th 1950)

To ask other readers questions about Elmer and the Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elmer and the Dragon

Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteMatilda by Roald DahlThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingCharlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
Best Read-Aloud Chapter Books
102nd out of 536 books — 1,080 voters
Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteLittle House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderLittle House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls WilderMy First Travel Angelic Airline Adventures by Anna OthitisRamona the Pest by Beverly Cleary
Books for seven-year-olds
53rd out of 477 books — 213 voters

More lists with this book...

Drew Graham
Jun 16, 2015 Drew Graham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: me
I can't quite remember if I read this one as a child too, but I'm pretty sure I did. If I did, I could remember absolutely nothing about it by now, so it was basically like reading it for the first time. This book picks up directly after the last page of the previous book, and continues the adventures of Elmer Elevator and the baby dragon. After Elmer saves his friend from the animals of Wild Island, they journey to take Elmer home, but become waylaid by a fierce storm at sea. When the storm cal ...more
Riho Uto
Oct 21, 2012 Riho Uto rated it liked it
-Random House
-Time:10/17=30min 10/18=31min 10/20=12min
-7words summary:Elmer-dragon-help-King-treasures-present-back
-Discussion question:
1.Animals can speak in this book. What kind of animals do you want to talk?
I want to talk with horses. I like horses. They are cool! I want to ask how horses feel about be ridden by people.
2.In the end, Elmer gave presents to his parents. Have you ever given some gifts to your parents?
Yes,however, when I was young. I don't know what presents my parents want. I w
Dale Johnson
Mar 21, 2015 Dale Johnson rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 2nd-3rd graders and their parents
Recommended to Dale by: My 3rd grader
First published as a 3rd grade level book (probably 2nd grade by today's standards): my son's favorite at that age. I'm now gifting them to my grand daughter. Occasional illustrations. At 76 pages, my reading time was an easy hour.

Book 2: Elmer and the Dragon.
Not as rich as book 1, but still rich, and a fun read. This book follows the adventures of Elmer and the dragon as they make their way towards Elmer's home as he tries to return after his two-week adventure. Most of the story is either abou
Jan 20, 2016 Sarah rated it it was amazing
All the books in this series are excellent! Every few years I dust off my childhood copies and re-read them to the boys! Fun fact: Gannett raised seven daughers and lives in Trumansburg, NY. She is 93 years old!
Katie Lorsch
Oct 19, 2015 Katie Lorsch rated it it was amazing
It was really fun. And it took a few days to finish it. And the first one Elmer was tricking all the animals and I really liked that part and I really liked the new chapters too. -Tommy
Carmen
Apr 28, 2015 Carmen rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Parents; Children
Recommended to Carmen by: Alice
Elmer and his baby dragon head for home. Can they make it? No, they have to make a pit stop on Feather Island, the island that all lost canaries go. Only, there's a problem on the island - everyone has a deadly disease. They are dying of curiosity!

Here's my favorite part:

"Gold! I knew it! Just think of it, Queen. Six bags of gold!" trilled the King.
"What will you do with them, King dear?" asked the Queen.
"I won't do anything with them. I'll just have them and be rich."

Also, Elmer's mom rede
Leigh Teale
Jul 12, 2015 Leigh Teale rated it it was amazing
Picking up where MY FATHER’S DRAGON left off, I have to say that I enjoyed ELMER AND THE DRAGON a bit more. While it never won any awards or got shortlisted by any journals, it was a fun story that tied up the first book nicely.

Having rescued the baby dragon from the beasts of Wild Island, Elmer must now return home in time for his father’s birthday. But a storm strikes, waylaying the pair on their way back to Nevergreen City. They stop for a rest on Feather Island, which is inhabited solely by
Conan Tigard
Nov 16, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elmer and the dragon is an interesting tale with talking animals. This book is different than My Father's Dragon because it does not have as many animals, but focuses on Elmer getting home. In this story, Elmer and the dragon end up on Feather Island, and island that is only inhabited by yellow canaries.

The story moves along at a steady pace with no lack of adventure. The artwork enhances the story greatly while the storytelling keeps the reader totally engrossed.

Overall, Elmer and the Dragon
Kelsey
Oct 17, 2014 Kelsey rated it it was amazing
In the second book in the series, Elmer has rescued the baby dragon. The baby dragon promises to fly Elmer back to Nevergreen City, but they are blown off course to Canary Island in a storm. Elmer and the dragon help cure the canaries of their curiosity by unearthing a treasure chest left by settlers. The dragon drops Elmer off at home to reunite with his parents.

This book would be appropriate for readers between eight and ten years old. Readers that enjoy fantasy and adventure stories may enjoy
Laura Verret
Remember My Father’s Dragon? Sequel!

The Story.

Now that he’s successfully freed the baby dragon from the mean animals that were using him as a ferry, Elmer Elevator thinks it’s time to go back home. But he has no way to leave Wild Island. Unless – unless the baby dragon could fly him home!

The baby dragon is overjoyed to be helping his rescuer. But, alas!, he is a only a baby dragon and does not have all of his strength. He must stop for rest all along their journey. Will Elmer and the dragon ever
Kimberly Werner
Oct 29, 2013 Kimberly Werner rated it really liked it
'Elmer and the Dragon" is a fantasy novel for children ages 8-12 (intermediate). The main character, Elmer is a young boy who has set out on a magical adventure to rescue a baby dragon. Once rescued, the grateful baby dragon agrees to fly Elmer home in time for his father's birthday. The two set off to Elmer's hometown of Evergreen City, finding an adventure of their own and making new friends along the way. The book consists of 10 short chapters in all and the font is slightly enlarged, which i ...more
Vanessa Pebley
Apr 03, 2015 Vanessa Pebley rated it liked it
This wasn't nearly as engaging or creative as the first book. The plot wasn't interesting, the ending was abrupt and left much to be desired. I'll only be reading the third book because it is in our possession, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

The book was, however, a perfect read-aloud book with a perfect combination of age appropriate chapter length, illustrations, and vocabulary.
Mark Baker
Mar 09, 2014 Mark Baker rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade, 2002
The journey home with the dragon is filled with danger when they encounter a storm and must land on an island with the dangerous disease of curiosity. While not quite as imaginative as the first book, it is still fun for all ages.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Tracy
May 22, 2014 Tracy rated it really liked it
A wonderful early reader story. I remember reading this when I was little, the librarian @ my elementary had a bunch of us help her craft a gigantic yellow & blue paper mache (covering a 8x4 foot chicken wired body) dragon to be displayed in the library. When I had my own children I read the series them while they were small as well.
Ann Moody
Sep 10, 2014 Ann Moody rated it it was amazing
I can hardly say enough good about the absorbing "My Father's Dragon" trilogy, but here goes.

1. Extraordinarily well written.

2. Travels almost seamlessly from its generation to ours

3. Adventurous and empathetic

4. Delightful

5. Appropriate for young readers

6. The very definition of Classic

7. Pure fun
Jeannie
Mar 01, 2011 Jeannie rated it it was amazing
I can't believe that my childhood was void of this book. Just had the pleasure to read it aloud with my 5 year old. She is a very new reader and we took it at a leisurely pace. It immediately drew her in despite her reluctance to read a "real" chapter book. Elmer's adventures and friendship with the Dragon are so fresh and magical - the imagery lit up the imagination of mother and child. Part of the reason the book took a few weeks to read was that my five year old was so delighted by each chapt ...more
Elizabeth
Feb 09, 2014 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
This really doesn't require reading the first book in the series. I found an old tattered copy on a free table somewhere, and it's the perfect level for kiddo; chapters are deliciously short, everyone basically gets along with everyone else, and there are little conflicts which are all resolvable in four pages.
Jenn
Nov 14, 2014 Jenn rated it really liked it
A good sequel. Lots of pictures, short chapters. Thank goodness boy was referred to by name in this book rather than "my father" like in the previous book. That got a little confusing when reading out loud.

Libby's review (spoiler alert): "I liked when Elmer Elevator came home and his mom had the cat."
Amanda
Feb 08, 2016 Amanda rated it liked it
We find Elmer flying with the baby dragon when they get caught in a storm. The poor dragon has to land and is fortunate enough to find some sand. In the morning they see that they are near an island. It is inhabited by canaries. They help them with a problem then fly home. A cute short story. I think I liked this one better than the first. I am curious how the last one goes.
Maria
Jan 22, 2015 Maria rated it liked it
I give this book a three because in one of the chapters all he talks about is how Elmar and the dragon feel when there flying. There is also a part when they are digging up the treasure and all the chapter is about digging up the treasure. I would like also a little more action.
Shanna Gonzalez
Sep 20, 2009 Shanna Gonzalez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-04-08
A continuation of the lighthearted fantasy begun in My Father's Dragon, in which the dragon delivers Elmer to his home after their adventures. Throughout their journey they meet similar challenges as in the first story -- a storm that maroons them, a riddle to be solved on an isolated island, and treasure discovered. Elmer's homecoming (bearing gifts for his parents) is heartwarming, although he never tells the secret of his adventure.

It would be better for his adventure take place with his pare
Erin
Nov 26, 2015 Erin rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
My kids adore this series. I'll admit that this installment has all the charm and gentle humor of the first, but not the same sense of adventure and cleverness. Still, my kids always begged for more, so I'll go with 4.
Richelle
Jul 06, 2010 Richelle rated it really liked it
This sequel to My Father's Dragon was really fun to read with my kids. On Canary Island is a buried treasure, and Elmer helps the canaries unbury the treasure. My five year old loves pirates and dragons, so buried treasure made this small chapter book extra interesting to him. It was funny to hear his predictions of what would be in the treasure chest! Even though the book is about 50 years old, it still is interesting to kids today. We were reading it outside in the backyard, and when the birds ...more
Jorie Turner
Dec 03, 2007 Jorie Turner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: grades 1-3
Shelves: fantasy, chapter
Summary: Elmer and Boris the dragon are stranded on a remote island inhabited only by canaries. One of them, Flute, was Elmer's pet until he escaped to Canary Island. Elmer helps Flute and the king and queen canaries to dig up a chest that the island's former human settlers left. Inside are various household items, a watch, a harmonica, and six bags of gold. The dragon flies Elmer back to his house before returning to Blueland, his own home.
Response: I was surprised at the differences in this bo
Rob
Mar 02, 2014 Rob rated it liked it
Nice short chapters, ideal for bedtime reading... *Really* wished we had read the first book as there is nothing in the way of bringing a new reader up to date with the story so far..
Mari Anne
Jun 12, 2012 Mari Anne rated it liked it
Recommended to Mari Anne by: Rhonda Henshaw
Shelves: mg-ya
This is the second book in the early readers series "My Father's Dragon". While not quite as cute and clever as the first book, this is still a fun read-aloud for bedtime. Aidan is enjoying it so much that he already asked to start the series over when we finish the third and final book. In this installment Elmer and Dragon start their journey home only to get sidetracked by a storm. They end up on the Feather Island, where they find esacaped canaries living. All the canaries are dying of the dr ...more
Kim
Jul 14, 2015 Kim rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-aloud
I wasn't a big fan of this book because it was a bit too simple, but my 4.5 year old liked it. We read about three chapters a night and went through it pretty quickly.
Alvin
Nov 03, 2014 Alvin rated it really liked it
The second in the series didn't disappoint. My 5-year old already wants to start on the third. This is a great read-aloud book, with enough pictures to keep up interest, for even the shortest of attention spans.
Charlie
Jun 30, 2015 Charlie rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
I really like this opening line: "Into the evening sky flew Elmer Elevator aboard the gentle baby dragon, leaving Wild Island behind forever." It's so hopeful.
Dawn
Feb 13, 2015 Dawn rated it it was amazing
My almost 4 year-old and I love this series! They're such clever books that tap right into my son's sense of wonder and adventure. Love them all.
  • Dolphin Treasure
  • Jane on Her Own (Catwings, #4)
  • Mercy Watson Fights Crime (Mercy Watson #3)
  • Mary On Horseback: Three Mountain Stories
  • Jenny and the Cat Club: A Collection of Favorite Stories about Jenny Linsky
  • The Dragons Are Singing Tonight
  • Toy Dance Party: Being the Further Adventures of a Bossyboots Stingray, a Courageous Buffalo, and a Hopeful Round Someone Called Plastic  (Toys, #2)
  • The Heavenward Path (Mitsuko, #2)
  • Back to School with Betsy
  • Lady Lollipop
  • The Class Trip (Sweet Valley Twins Super Edition, #1)
  • The Stories Julian Tells
  • G.A. Aiken Bundle: The Dragon Who Loved Me, What a Dragon Should Know, & Last Dragon Standing
  • Hanatsukihime, Vol. 02
  • Capyboppy
Ruth Stiles Gannett wrote My Father's Dragon just a few years after her graduation from Vassar College in 1944.

She lives in Upstate New York.

More about Ruth Stiles Gannett...

My Father's Dragon (3 books)
  • My Father's Dragon (My Father's Dragon, #1)
  • The Dragons of Blueland (My Father's Dragon, #3)