Start by marking “The Dragons of Blueland” as Want to Read:
The Dragons of Blueland

The Dragons of Blueland (My Father's Dragon #3)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  1,940 ratings  ·  104 reviews
In this third and final installment of the classic My Father's Dragon trilogy, Boris, the baby dragon, is excited to be heading home to Blueland and looks forward to reuniting with his family.
Published March 13th 2007 by Yearling (first published 1951)

To ask other readers questions about The Dragons of Blueland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dragons of Blueland

Carmen
Apr 28, 2015 Carmen rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents; Children
Recommended to Carmen by: Alice
This is a pretty fun book about how the dragon tries to go home to his six sisters and seven brothers, and his dear gigantic mother and father.

On the way, he's spotted by a farmer, leading to the best part of the book, the hilarious Chapter Two: Mr. and Mrs. Wagonwheel. I was laughing out loud at these kooks. So funny.

More problems arise as the dragon approaches home only to find some men have trapped his family in their cave! Can he and his human friend Elmer save them?
Alvin
This was the least favorite of the series. The first one was the best, and it went downhill from there. I read this for the first time with my 5-year old son. He wanted to rate it with 4 stars; this is the first trilogy we have gotten through together. I would have given it two stars, but added an extra one because it wrapped up the story well, and I will always have the memories of reading this with my son.
Tracy
A wonderful early reader story. I remember reading this when I was little, the librarian @ my elementary had a bunch of us help her craft a gigantic yellow & blue paper mache (covering a 8x4 foot chicken wired body) dragon to be displayed in the library. When I had my own children I read the series them while they were small as well.
Liz Dean
This was my least favorite of the trilogy, because it just wasn't as funny as the first, and didn't have the feeling of adventure of the second. This was Charlie's favorite of the trilogy "because it had all the dragons in it."
Dale Johnson
Mar 21, 2015 Dale Johnson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 2nd-3rd graders and their parents
Recommended to Dale by: My 3rd grader
First published as a 3rd grade level book (probably 2nd grade by today's standards). I'm now gifting them to my grand daughter. Occasional illustrations. At 78 pages, this was an easy half-hour read.

Book 3: The Dragons of Blue Land.
The lightest of the three books, but the most intense. This follows the dragon as he returns home after dropping Elmer off, finds that his family is in danger, and goes back to get Elmer to help him rescue them. It has little character, but intense non-stop action as
Shanna Gonzalez
This story rounds out the trilogy begun with My Father's Dragon. Leaving Elmer at his home, the baby dragon flies away to his own home, the cave at the center of the Awful Desert in the Mountains of Blueland. There, his parents, six sisters and seven brothers are trapped in a cave whose entrance is guarded by a group of men. In desperation he returns to Elmer to ask for help, and their adventures commence. Through planning, judicious use of provisions, and ingenuity they free the dragon's family ...more
Kate Schwarz
This book should get 3 1/2 stars--the average between 3 from me and 4 from Lorelei and Ben. But since I'm typing this and they are sleeping...3 stars it gets.

It's the third in the series that we've read, and I still think that these books are really good first-read-aloud-chapter books for kids. The stories are exciting little tales with a little bit of reality (i.e. there's a boy involved and he does have a real, human family) and a whole lot of fantasy (i.e. there are talking, flying dragons th
Drew Graham
As familiar as I may or may not have been with the previous two books in this trilogy, I don't have any recollection of this one at all until recently. When I picked up the first two it was only fitting I should round off the experience with this final chapter in the adventures of Elmer Elevator and his friend the dragon. After dropping Elmer off at home, the dragon heads to his homeland to be reunited with his large dragon family. When he learns that his gentle family is being threatened by a g ...more
Mark Baker
The dragon returns home to find his entire family has been captured and he turns to Elmer for help in rescuing them. The trilogy winds down with a final fun tale about these unlikely allies using creativity against overwhelming odds.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Portia
OK I have to confess I didn't read the whole thing because AJ and I were reading it together but she got a little too eager and ended up reading a lot, including the ending, without waiting for me. But she filled me in by summarizing and she loved the whole thing. Very simple, bizarre old tale and since it has a boy and a dragon it was right up her alley.
Jenn
We finally learn more about the dragon and where he came from in this final book of the series. Again, a great book to read aloud to young kids. Even my 2 year old liked it (for very short periods of time).

Libby's review: "When Elmer went inside the cave - that's my favorite part."
Jenny
This is book three to the trilogy of "My Father's Dragon." I read it to my four-year-old, and we both definitely liked it. I liked the first book more, but this one had the same fun illustrator, clever kind of plot, and easy-to-read language.
Riho Uto
-Random House
-Time:9/17=24min 9/19=40min
-7 words summary:Dragon-Family-Caught-Rescue-Elmer-Support-Succeed
-Discussion questions:
1.Have you ever helped your family?
Yes, I have. I sometimes teach English or Maths to my younger sister. However,I have never helped my family from dangerous situations.
2.There are many colorful dragons. What color is the best for dragon?
I think green is the best! I like green and some pictures of dragons are normally green color.

I finished the series of Elmer. These
Judy
This is the story of Basil, a young dragon, who upon reaching his way home from being rescued by Elmer Elevator, finds that his family is netted in by fearful humans. Basil enlists Elmer's help in order to free them. This is a charming book like the other Dragon books, however, it doesn't have quite as much charm or pizazz as the others in the series. I would have liked to see Basil remedy his own problem since the title of the book is The Dragons of Blueland,not Elmer and the Dragons of Bluelan ...more
Rachel
This is the finale of the excellent trilogy "My Father's Dragon." It is a great adventure, and Elmer (our hero, "my father") is a very inventive and resourceful boy. I recommend this as a read aloud for preschoolers and a read alone for older readers. I think this would be enjoyed by a wide age range.
Katie
These books got progressively less interesting. The first one was good, the second one was fine, but I was pretty bored with this one. Isaac wanted to stop reading after a few chapters, unlike the other books where he asked me to keep reading.
Verkiezen
The Dragons of Blueland by Ruth Stiles Gannett is the last book in the My Father's Dragon trilogy. This book follows the newly released baby dragon home where he finds that his parents and siblings have been backed into a cave by some human hunters. Boris (YES THE BABY DRAGON'S NAME IS BORIS. I might have squealed a little bit by how cute that was when I read it) returns to his friend Elmer to get help in releasing his family.

I loved this series. It's quick but delightful. Elmer is inventive an
Dawn
My almost 4 year-old and I love this series! They're such clever books that tap right into my son's sense of wonder and adventure. Love them all.
Trevor
There's a storm in it, but they are safe. Then he goes in a boat, the guy, and there were sacks of wheat in the boat. He gets in the sack, and the people in there thought the bag was filled with corn.
Michelle
Wrapped up this series, reading aloud to my 9 year old son. We both enjoyed the series very much. Book 1 is by far the best.
A fantastic series. I'm not sure how I did not discover it earlier. If you've got little ones, read it to/with them!
Rebecca
Attention waned a bit, but still we all enjoyed this final installment to My Father's Dragon.
Jorie Turner
Dec 03, 2007 Jorie Turner rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: grades 1-3
Shelves: fantasy, chapter
Summary: Elmer and Boris return in the final book of the tiology. Men have discovered that the dragons are real and where they are living. Elmer and Boris quickly run off to the land of Blueland to help his family before the hunters find the dragons and capture them to sell to zoo's and circuses.
Response: This is probably the most thrilling and exciting book of the three. Every page offers decision making and consequences for Elmer and his dragn friends. Great illistrations of maps, the kids co
Collette
Of the 3 books, this was my second favorite. The first book had the most adventure in the story and this came second. The kids loved all three and really that is what mattered the most to me.
Child960801
The end of the trilogy with a focus more on the dragon then on Elmer.
Kate Hooper
This was an excellent read aloud series. My boys really enjoyed it!
Jessica
Quick afternoon read aloud that all my kids seemed to enjoy.
Kristin
This might have been my favorite book in the whole series
Lirongs8
May 08, 2008 Lirongs8 rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lirongs8 by: It recommended by my school teacher
In this third and final installment of the classic Elmer and the Dragons trilogy, Elmer is safe and sound at home in Evergreen Park while Boris is heading to Blueland, where he'll retunite with his family. There's just one problem: hunter have trapped Boris's family and plan to capture and sell them to zoos all over the world! When Boris discoversthe hunters' plan, he knows exactly who to go to for help -Elmer Elevator, whose creative plans and schemes always save the day.
I have learn how to s
  • Dolphin Treasure
  • Catwings (Catwings, #1)
  • The Light at Tern Rock (Newbery Library, Puffin)
  • The Milly-Molly-Mandy Storybook
  • Mary On Horseback: Three Mountain Stories
  • Jenny and the Cat Club: A Collection of Favorite Stories about Jenny Linsky
  • Mercy Watson Fights Crime (Mercy Watson #3)
  • Toy Dance Party (Toys #2)
  • Here's a Penny
  • A Mouse Called Wolf
  • The Apple and the Arrow
  • Class President
  • Capyboppy
  • The Littles To The Rescue
  • Gooseberry Park
  • Anna Hibiscus
  • Paddington Helps Out (Paddington, #3)
Ruth Stiles Gannett wrote My Father's Dragon just a few years after her graduation from Vassar College in 1944.

She lives in Upstate New York.

More about Ruth Stiles Gannett...

My Father's Dragon (3 books)
  • My Father's Dragon (My Father's Dragon, #1)
  • Elmer and the Dragon (My Father's Dragon, #2)
My Father's Dragon (My Father's Dragon, #1) Elmer and the Dragon (My Father's Dragon, #2) Three Tales of My Father's Dragon My Father's Dragon: Books 1 and 2: #1 My Father's Dragon #2 Elmer and the Dragon (My Father's Dragon) Katie and the Sad Noise