What Your Contractor Can't Tell You: The Essential Guide to Building and Renovating

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  11 reviews
This book equips owners with the information and strategies needed to turn their vision into a home or renovation project that can be executed on time and within budget. Chapters give detailed coverage of critical topics: design options, selecting and supervising the architect and contractor, cost estimates, budgets, plan specifications, contracts, dealing with town offici...more
Published January 1st 2008 by Shube Publishing

To ask other readers questions about What Your Contractor Can't Tell You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Your Contractor Can't Tell You

Courtney
This is a great book for anyone thinking of taking on a renovation or new home construction.

While it doesn't cover the how-to's of design, this book covers information that is equally important: the various contract structures, how to write a contract to protect yourself in the event something goes wrong, and how to manage your project's budget so that you don't go over budget.

I would recommend this to anyone who is getting ready to tackle a big construction project.

My one complaint is that the...more
Erika RS
This book does not cover the design process at all. Instead it's all about the nuts and bolts of getting your home built and being a new comer in an industry not known for always dealing well with customers. You should read this book or an equivalent if you are thinking about building a house or even if you are just renovating.

If you took only two things away from this book they should be (1) always have a contract which covers the scope of the project, how quality will be assessed, and what the...more
Katie
This was a good overview for learning the steps necessary to have a construction job on your home. It covers what to expect from all the players like architects, contractors, subcontractors, etc. It also goes over the important vocabulary that you will run into and the pitfalls that many homeowners end up suffering from. It was very helpful to get my mind wrapped around the process and it was unexpectedly enjoyable reading.
Maria
Chock full of useful information for anyone thinking about building their own home, this book is a must. However, if I had read it prior to starting the process by buying the land, I would have rethought my plans immediately and settled for a house already built that is less than what I want. The information in this book is downright scarey. It leaves you wondering how anyone gets a house built and stays sane!
Steve Walker
There is some useful information in this book but it gets a little bogged down and off track for what I needed. It has good guidelines for finding and dealing with contracts, what to include in a contract, and the pitfalls and potential problems that can arise if not managed properly.

I mostly skimmed this book and looked at the pictures.
Andrea
I read this book before building my home. We have never even owned a home prior to this, let alone building so I wanted to get educated. This book was extremely helpful in acquainting me with all the ins and outs of the building process. Highly recommend this if you are new to building and not already acquainted with the industry.
Devin
Jan 16, 2014 Devin rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All prospective builders
Recommended to Devin by: N/A
Very informative and helpful.
February Four
Excellent book full of helpful tips. When I renovate/build, I'll definitely be buying a copy for reference.
Carolyn
Useful, but moreso if you are starting from scratch rather than renovating.
Josie
This is a must read if you will be working with a contractor
Joanne
Good advice on working with a contractor.
Laurie Clark
Laurie Clark is currently reading it
Aug 18, 2014
William
William marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Caroline Bedaard
Caroline Bedaard marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
K. Smith
K. Smith is currently reading it
Aug 04, 2014
Elizabeth Coble
Elizabeth Coble is currently reading it
Jun 23, 2014
Justin
Justin added it
May 29, 2014
Phillip Knox
Phillip Knox marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Killian
Killian marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Ginny
Ginny is currently reading it
May 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
What the "Experts" May Not Tell You About(TM)...Building or Renovating Your Home Lost Ate My Life: The Inside Story of a Fandom Like No Other