Start by marking “Mittens” as Want to Read:
Mittens

Mittens (My First I Can Read)

Mittens is a small kitten in a big, new house. Everything seems loud and unfamiliar and scary. The little kitten wants a special place all his own. Can a new friend help him find one?

The satisfying story of an adorable kitten's search for security and his discovery of a new friend is perfect for children who, like Mittens, are ready to take their first steps on a new journ
Published April 24th 2007 by HarperCollins (first published May 30th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Mittens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mittens

This is an easy-to-read book. My preschool children like to follow along when I read. I have several copies of it, so when we are in a small group each child can point to the words as I read. They like having their own book to "read."
Megan McKenny
Apr 29, 2015 Megan McKenny rated it really liked it
Personal Reaction: This is a cute book for beginning readers. The story is cute and simple. Children will likely enjoy this book as they too will find the story and the kitten cute. Children will also thrive on their success as they will be able to read this book on their own.

Purpose: As a beginning reader book, this would be used as an independent read. Late kindergarteners and early first graders would likely be able to read this book on their own. The characters (mittens the kitten and Nick)
Luis Reynoso
Feb 15, 2015 Luis Reynoso rated it liked it
Mittens is a children’s book about a boy who buys a kitten and names it mittens. Throughout the book the kitten is looking for a small place for it to hide. The kitten is very picky. Places are too loud, dark, or just scary. Mittens cries out feeling afraid and out of place. This is where the owner comes and comforts the kitten and Mittens seems to be content from this and curls up and cuddles with it’s new owner.
The text in the book is very big and easy to read. I could tell that this was a b
Kimberlee Gutterman
Nov 21, 2016 Kimberlee Gutterman rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book is part of the I Can Read collection which is great for young readers or children who have no experience with reading. These books are considered transitional because they are extremely easy to understand and aren't overwhelming the reader with a lot of text. The controlled vocabulary in this gentle, unassuming story is made up primarily of one-syllable words, and the sentence structure is very basic. The soft pastel illustrations are simple and uncluttered and enhance the quiet tone o ...more
Wooden Horse
May 04, 2011 Wooden Horse rated it liked it
I took this book to read to my 3 year old cousin at his request. We saw it advertised in the back of another book that we read last week. I liked that it had fairly detailed illustrations. My cousin immediately spotted the electrical outlet and was on the look out for a heating vent as those are two things that fascinate him. (He does know that they are dangerous and he mustn't ever touch them.) As far as the story goes he only started to pay attention after it was mentioned that "Mittens was sc ...more
Jessica Vu
This is a story for the developing, beginning reader. Read story and have students figure out the "who" and the "what" of the story.

Predicting - Where will the kitten hid next? Will the kitten stay there or find a new place to hid? Why?

Sequencing- basic sequencing for the major events of the story

First day of school book - may help students with the anxiety of a new big school/classroom.
Self-to-text connection

Write about where you hid when you're scared/what you do to feel better.

Monalisa Johnson-brown
This is about a boy who named Nick who got a cat named Mitten. Mitten was in a new and big place. He wanted a small place where he could call his own. He went behind the television but it was too loud, under the sofa it was too dark, under the bed was just right. Mitten found his home and Nick was happy that he found a place that was comfortable for him. Nick told him that everything will be okay.
Heather B.
This story is pretty close to what it is like bring home a new kitten. At first the kitten is scared and running around it's new home because it is scared and wants to find a safe hiding place; which is actually happens sometimes. But, evenually the kitten calms down and becomes comfortable with it's new surroundings. Once again it is a cute book and fairly accurate on kittens' behavior. I would recommend for early readers K to 2nd grade. Published 2007.
Amanda Kolar
Schaefer (2006) tells a story about a boy named Nick who gets a new kitten named Mittens. Mittens is scared and try to find a hiding place in his new home. Mitten does under Nick’s bed. Nick finally finds Mittens and tells him everything is ok and that he will be his friend. I would use this in my classroom. It would help me teach my students how to be nice to new animals when they get one. Animals have feelings just like us humans.
Ashley Correll
Feb 07, 2010 Ashley Correll rated it really liked it
This story is about a little kitten named Mittens. Nick brought a new kitten, Mittens home and Mittens is scared because its a new place and everything is soo big. So, Mittens runs from room to room trying to find a safe place. In the end, Mittens realizes that Nick will take care of him and keep him safe so there is nothing to worry about. Great book for beginning readers!
A.C. Bauch
Really liked this book, not only because I once had a cat named Mittens. I love the way the book informs children of what it can be like to get a new kitten, by relating one boy's story with his kitten, Mittens. Our kitty was very similar when we brought her home, and I think this book is a great choice for parents to read to children before bringing home a new kitty (or any pet really).
Yates Marie
This book is about a cat that has just come to a new home. The kitten is scared and tries to find a hiding place for just him. Once he finds a hiding place he is still scared. Then he returns to his new owner/friend and becomes comfortable to with. This would be a good book for new students to help tell them that things will be alright.
Sidney
This is about a cat named Mittens who has a new owner named Nick. Mittens is scared, but Nick helps him feels more at home. This book has a lot of repetitions and is good for beginning readers. It is not my favorite book to read because it can become annoying after hearing zoom and purr a hundred times, but is great for young reader who will find Mittens fun and adorable.
Gina
Oct 28, 2015 Gina rated it really liked it
I think this would be cute anyway, but having recently adopted a young tabby who found a hiding place right away and still zooms around the house, it's accurate. I think this would be very fun for kids with new kittens.
Dianna
Apr 08, 2011 Dianna rated it really liked it
My four-year-old son loves this book. There is no more important requirement than that for an early reader. The pictures are nice.
Ashlyn Barker
Nice little story for emerging readers about a child who has a new kitten. I would not use this as a read aloud, but it would be useful for independent reading time for K-1st grade.
Jayna
Feb 05, 2013 Jayna rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A.R. 1.2
Mary
Sep 19, 2012 Mary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, easy-reader
The first book my daughter really "learned" to read with. Mittens is an adorable little cat who wants to find his own space in a new house.
Austin Wright
Oct 17, 2016 Austin Wright rated it really liked it
Introducing a child to the complexities of a kitten? This book will help.
Alex
Jun 04, 2012 Alex rated it it was amazing
I like when Mittens runs behind the T.V.. It is to loud.
Shelly Koressel
Kitten is in a new home and he is scared. He has to learn how to deal with his insecurities. Cute book, preschool and kindergarten would love it. First readers level.
Cindy Foley
Jan 02, 2012 Cindy Foley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: emmett
I liked when Mittens hid under the bed and was scared of all of the noises
Cassandra
Cute!! I can't wait to read more Mittens books.
Tayler K
Jun 22, 2014 Tayler K rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cats, childrens
We got this for my cousin but of course I had to read it. It is super-duper adorable! (And I am partial to gray striped kitties!)
Nick Shaffer
Apr 02, 2014 Nick Shaffer rated it really liked it
A really cute book. Pretty easy read for younger grades. Great for children to understand who have pets.
Kay Heilman
Sep 01, 2014 Kay Heilman rated it really liked it
My first graders enjoy this series and are waiting for more.
Karen
Jul 13, 2016 Karen rated it liked it
This is a cute, sweet, simple book with a story about as inspired as the title (and the poor kitten's name). The illustrations are darling, though.
Christy
Feb 01, 2010 Christy rated it liked it
Shelves: easy-read
A great easy read for young students. This book is about a kitten that is frightened and can't find a place to feel safe. His new owner offers him a safe place...in his arms.
Hannah Sheffield
This book would be good for reading with emergent readers. They would be able to read most of the words.
  • Biscuit's Day at the Farm
  • Buzz Said the Bee
  • Richard Scarry's The Best Mistake Ever! and Other Stories
  • Disney's Finding Nemo: Just Keep Swimming
  • Hot Dog
  • What Is a Princess? (Disney Princess)
  • Chicken Said "Cluck!" (My First I Can Read)

My First I Can Read (1 - 10 of 101 books)
  • Pete the Cat: Too Cool for School
  • Little Critter: Just a Teacher's Pet
  • Pete the Cat's Train Trip
  • Biscuit Goes Camping (My First I Can Read!)
  • Pete the Cat: Three Groovy Books Collection: Pete's Big Lunch, Pete at the Beach, A Pet for Pete (My First I Can Read)
  • Digger the Dinosaur 4-Book Collection: Digger the Dinosaur, The Cake Mistake, The Play Day, The Wrong Song (My First I Can Read)
  • Pete the Cat and the Bad Banana
  • Huff and Puff Have Too Much Stuff!
  • Pete the Cat's Super Cool Reading Collection (My First I Can Read)
  • Pete the Cat: A Pet for Pete (My First I Can Read)