Start by marking “Manga Shakespeare: The Tempest” as Want to Read:
Manga Shakespeare: The Tempest

Manga Shakespeare: The Tempest (Manga Shakespeare)

The latest in the breakout series Manga Shakespeare, introducing teens to a new kind of Bard.

Shipwrecks, long-lost families, and a powerful magician make Shakespeare’s masterpiece perfect for the Manga Shakespeare. Miranda and her father, Prospero, have been on an isolated island for twelve years. When the survivors of a shipwreck land on the island (thanks to Prospero’s m
Published June 1st 2008 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Manga Shakespeare, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Manga Shakespeare

Jackie "the Librarian"
Manga is a great way to read Shakespeare, as close to a play as you can get with a book, and this was nicely presented. I loved the introduction of the characters with portraits and a quote at the beginning, and the way some of them were paired up - Ariel with Caliban, Miranda with Ferdinand. The way the characters were drawn made it clear who were the good guys, and who were the bad, and who were just silly. And there was a pleasant amount of silliness in the story.

And the story, for those few
Charlotte Freeman
An interesting and unique way to present Shakespeare's plays. I think this would be a great way for visual learners to better grasp what Shakespeare is trying to say. It can be difficult to connect with a play without actually seeing it and this really helps.
Jenny Clark
Oct 07, 2016 Jenny Clark rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this installment, however I have realized that the adaptors have cut a lot out of it. This is the first manga Shakespeare that I have read the play to. The art was pretty good, and it does help understand the play a bit better.
Miriam
Sep 20, 2010 Miriam added it
Shelves: graphic
As a person who is already familiar with the play, I got nothing out of this adaptation. I didn't care for the art, although I've seen worse. It was amateurish and boring. I think it would be helpful for students who had difficulty understanding the original text and needed to get through it.
Guy Robinson
This my attempt to both re-sample the Manga genre and brush up my Shakespeare. It was OK but I probably would have preferred to have watched a Royal Shakespeare Company performance of the same play.
Kara
Sep 04, 2014 Kara rated it liked it

An Anime style rendering of Shakespeare. Not quite how I would interpret the characters, but an… interesting choice nonetheless.
Entertaining - a good way to follow a story that can be unclear from simply reading a Shakespeare script. It is rather a disappointment, for much of the book, to eventually realise the book is going to be in black and white, a missed opportunity for such a rich visual text in particular, although some of the art concepts are nicely realised (e.g. the supernatural). The language remains compelling but the book as a whole did not really add very much to the text (as I have seen theatre companies d ...more
Soobie's heartbroken
Well... YUCK!

The art is really, really bad! It took half of the volume to get used to it. But it remains bad. If you look closely at the lines on Ferdinand's hair at the bottom right of page 63 you can see they're not straight. It's like the author was trembling when he was drawing them.

The gray tones are quite good though. They seem real tones, as if the graphic novel were originally in color and then turned into a black-and-white work.

I can't say much about the plot. I probably have seen The
Danielle (is trying to escape reality)
I am not quite sure what to rate this!

This is a manga/graphic novel retelling of Shakespeare's The Tempest. I am not very familiar with the original work; I had a few classes in high school and college that veered into Shakespeare, and it was always quite the slog for me. Never something that I would pleasure read, that's for sure! BUT I picked up this version at a library sale since I like to grab up graphic novels that are different as something really different to read occasionally when I ge
Joyce Lee
Urgh... hate the art and you can totally tell when the script was added to. The tale is accurate for the most part but I really hate the modernisation of it. Not sure if the authors took artistic license or thought that Prospero's ''cell'' literally meant a small boxy concrete room. didn't like the ''industrial'' facilities of Prospero and Caliban's living quarters either.
Giving this two stars rather than 1 because I think it will help weak readers visualise the play better or at the very least,
Rosa
Jun 05, 2009 Rosa rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2009
If you don't like the original Shakespeare play, you wont like the manga. I never really liked the Tempest, but I figured maybe reading a different interpretation of it would allow me to see it from a different perspective and maybe like it more. While this was an interesting interpretation of the Tempest and the artwork was great, it is essentially the same story and I still didn't like it. Of course that wont stop me from giving the other manga shakespeare's a try.
Mimi
Apr 26, 2011 Mimi added it
Not one of my favourite pieces of the Bard but I borrowed this in the light of our recent drama production for the Sheila Winn Shakespeare Festival. We played a part from The Tempest and I was the Master on the sinking ship present at the very beginning were Miranda sees her father’s work through a mirror and blah blah blah… served its purpose.
Melissa
I really liked reading the play as a graphic novel -- it helped me connect with the characters and situations better. But, I think something's missing (besides part of the text); I thought it was a pretty lame play until I sat down and read the introduction to it in my husband's Riverside Shakespeare.

In short: better than reading the play straight, but not as good as seeing it.
Thuraya Batterjee
It seems that graphic novels are very popular these days,they are selling well in book stores all over the uk
Self Made Hero, is a series of graphic novels adaptation of william Shakespeare's plays and illustrated by leading manga artists.
Alice
Aug 30, 2013 Alice rated it it was ok
I thought I'd try a Manga version of a Shakespeare play I was unfamiliar with. This book uses an abridged version of Shakespeare's original text, along with visual representations of characters -- so it's basically a Shakespeare comic book. It is certainly 'readable', but somehow lacking in that powerful Shakespeare 'punch'. I'll look for a performance version of this play next.
Ryan Miller
Jun 02, 2013 Ryan Miller rated it it was ok
I'm not a Shakespeare fan, but I picked up this version after seeing an especially impressive Romeo and Juliet production. I figured I'd give the Bard another shot in a different genre. It didn't work. The manga was OK, but not overly exciting. Perhaps this was the wrong story to try.
Aaron
Jan 01, 2012 Aaron rated it it was ok
Shelves: comic
I understand that this was meant to be a comic adaptation, perhaps for young and non-native readers, but the artwork was just disappointing and the story too disjointed for me to make any sense of the plot, despite the well-intentioned character introductions in the initial pages.
Mike Jensen
Jul 25, 2010 Mike Jensen rated it liked it
I may assign this book to students someday, so it would not be right to comment here.
Piza Riza
Mar 22, 2012 Piza Riza rated it it was amazing
manga and shakespear. two things i love combined. yay
Alicia
Aug 19, 2013 Alicia rated it liked it
Decent summary version of the play. Art is ok. Nothing impressive one way or the other.
Timothy Coen
Dec 19, 2013 Timothy Coen rated it it was ok
I thought the story line was alright but it was very confusing at times. Overall did not like this book and wouldn't recommend it to you.
Christina Scholz
Nov 23, 2016 Christina Scholz rated it really liked it
This one might be the best of the Manga Shakespeares. Great page design, and great world-building.
Alan
I didn't like it.
Elena
Mar 03, 2013 Elena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
You really need to have a grasp of the original text to follow this properly. Still, it's a good read!
Hope Golden
Hope Golden rated it liked it
May 02, 2012
Collin
Collin rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2013
Francesca-Mae Randell
Francesca-Mae Randell rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2013
Emma
Emma rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet: The Manga Edition
  • Ariel
  • Hollow Fields, Vol. 3 (Hollow Fields, #3)
  • Shakespeare's Spy (Shakespeare Stealer, #3)
  • Brush Up Your Shakespeare!
  • The Canterbury Tales
  • The Merchant of Venice
  • Resolve (Wicked Lovely: Desert Tales, #3)
  • The Necessary Shakespeare
  • Courtney Crumrin Tales Volume 2: The League of Ordinary Gentlemen
  • Kingyo Used Books, Vol. 1
  • Amazing Agent Luna Vol 6
  • Arisa, Vol. 04 (Arisa, #4)
  • W Juliet, Vol. 3
  • The Three Musketeers
  • Inuyasha Ani-Manga, Vol. 11
  • ChocoMimi, Vol. 4
  • not simple
Richard Appignanesi is a published adapter and an author of young adult books. Published credits of Richard Appignanesi include Manga Shakespeare: Julius Caesar (Manga Shakespeare), Manga Shakespeare: Macbeth (Manga Shakespeare), Manga Shakespeare: Hamlet (Manga Shakespeare), and Manga Shakespeare: Romeo and Juliet (Manga Shakespeare).
More about Richard Appignanesi...

Manga Shakespeare (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Manga Shakespeare: As You Like It