Start by marking “The Zucchini Warriors (MacDonald Hall, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Zucchini Warriors (MacDonald Hall, #5)

The Zucchini Warriors (Macdonald Hall #5)

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,014 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Roommates Bruno and Boots find obstacles in their way as they attempt to lead the Macdonald Hall Zucchini Warriors to a victorious football season and earn the reward of a new recreation center.
Published June 1st 1991 by Scholastic (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Zucchini Warriors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Zucchini Warriors

I Want to Go Home! by Gordon KormanThis Can't Be Happening at MacDonald Hall! by Gordon KormanBeware the Fish! by Gordon KormanGo Jump in the Pool! by Gordon KormanNo More Dead Dogs by Gordon Korman
The Best of Gordon Korman
8th out of 45 books — 27 voters
Life is a Circus Run by a Platypus by Allison HawnGo the Fuck to Sleep by Adam MansbachAll My Friends Are Dead by Avery MonsenF U, Penguin by Matthew GasteierAnother Bullshit Night in Suck City by Nick Flynn
Books that just have cool titles
163rd out of 312 books — 107 voters

More lists with this book...

Ash
Dec 13, 2012 Ash rated it really liked it
I chose this book, because of the author, Gordan Korman, he's one of my favorite authors and I thought it would be interesting to read another book of his, because they are always funny and interesting. The Zucchini Warriors is about two boys named Bruno and Boots, and a couple of their friends, they all go to a school together called,"McDonald Hall." During their year there, they both experience many wacky problems and difficulties, such as a girl joining their football team, the Zucchini Warri ...more
Maggie Gordon
I legitimately remember owning this particular MacDonald Hall book, and enjoying the whole girls can play football too, dumb society plotline. Good series for the younger crowd to sink their teeth into, and Canadian to boot!
Elizabeth
Feb 23, 2016 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Here is a book to tickle your funny bone. Bruno and Boots are back again and this time their aim is a new recreation room at MacDonald Hall. If they can assemble a winning football team they have a donor who will pay for the rec room. Henry (Hank the Tank) Carson is an alum and former Green Bay Packer (!) who has made his fortune selling zucchini sticks. So he underwrites the football team and treats everyone to free zucchini sticks all the time. Unfortunately, no one likes them. Crazy ways emer ...more
Annalee
Jun 28, 2007 Annalee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: youngadultlit
My biggest triumph with this book: I got my 6th grade teacher to read it to the WHOLE CLASS on my recommendation!
Teyanna James
Feb 18, 2015 Teyanna James rated it really liked it
Shelves: february
Over the Summer, Henry Carson bought a new football stadium. Bruno and Boots were not pleased because instead they wanted a recreation hall. So Bruno and Boots decided to make a deal with Mr.Carson. If kids join the football team and win they're games, they will get a recreation hall.

I picked this book up because I like the MacDonald Hall series so far.

I finished this book because I wanted to see what would happen next.

I would recommend this book to Katie, because she likes humor.
Talia
Mar 19, 2009 Talia rated it really liked it
Bruno and Boots are disappointed when they return to Macdonald Hall at the start of a new year; they were supposed to get a new recreation hall at their school, but instead a football stadium has been built. Former student/football player and zucchini entrepreneur Hank Carson makes them a deal, a winning football team will get them a rec hall, but unfortunately, Macdonald Hall’s team is horrible. But soon Bruno and Boots have a secret weapon that will ensure their wins: a girl!

As a young reader,
Reader Girl
May 06, 2016 Reader Girl rated it liked it
This isn't one of Korman's best, but it's still a good book. In fact, it's so well-written that I didn't realize until several chapters in that it was the 5th in the series. I like the way he pulls all of the side-stories together in an unpredictable way.
Isamar garcia
I don't like this book because of football not my kind of sport's favorite. But the end of story it's good and i think you may read this or not. Now, i like it this book.
Catelyn Manly
May 15, 2016 Catelyn Manly rated it it was amazing
I LOVE Gordon Korman.
I have only read his comedies, but they are wonderful.
I think I started with The Zucchini Warriors and then Losing Joe's Place many years ago.
Jerry
Apr 19, 2013 Jerry rated it liked it
A Quickie Review

Gordon Korman was my favorite author as a kid, even more so than Roald Dahl and Judy Blume, though I did enjoy their works, too. Though I never have been a sports fan, I read The Zucchini Warriors in fifth grade, and liked it. However, reading it now made it feel slightly lackluster. It does combine elements of a Disney Channel Original Movie and a Nickelodeon sitcom, and deserves praise for that...but it still feels a little generic. Nonetheless, fans of kiddie literature, no ma
Punk
Apr 02, 2008 Punk rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
YA. Macdonald Hall gets a football team and their quarterback's a girl. Literally. This book is pretty one-note. Usually Bruno and Boots have a goal (Save Macdonald Hall!) and then have to overcome a series of obstacles by way of hair-brained schemes (Collect Pop Cans! Get Someone To Go On A Date! Steal Computer Paper!) in order to achieve that goal. Here they play football. A lot. Plus Elmer's weirdly out of character (purposely, yes; realistically? no). But this book did one thing for me. I ca ...more
LobsterQuadrille
May 22, 2016 LobsterQuadrille rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all Bruno & Boots fans
This isn't quite as funny or creative as the other Bruno and Boots books, but it's still a lot of fun! The characters are as fun as ever and the deadpan humor is ever-present. I especially like the spelling errors on the scoreboard(**ZICTORY!**)and the misunderstanding that almost leads to Mr. Sturgeon being arrested. I also love that Cathy Burton was given such a significant role in this book, since she's such a great character! "The Zucchini Warriors" is not my favorite of the series(the earl ...more
Anne Beardsley
Dec 14, 2015 Anne Beardsley rated it really liked it
Shelves: fluffy, funny, shonen
Not the finest of Gordon Korman's comic novels...but funny enough all the same.
Cait
Nov 14, 2015 Ella rated it really liked it
Fun series
Helen
Nov 06, 2010 Helen rated it it was ok
This was one of Gordon Korman's first series that he started at the age of 12 -- pretty impressive! However, there was nothing special about it and it is dated, although our library still has it. His picture in the back is quite different from today, as well! But I wanted to read it to see what his early works were like as compared to his later series like Swindle and Zoobreak which were much better.
linda
Mar 04, 2008 linda rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everybody
Shelves: ya-novels
As good the 254th time as it was the first, enduringly funny and very, very sweet. Korman has a great way of setting you up for the downward spiral, like classical Greek comedy only you know, with Manchurian bush hamsters.
Rivkah
Jan 18, 2011 Rivkah rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: YA
What would you think if a girl wanted to play football? This is a book about 'soft' discrimination about girls. And strange hampsters, principals, yucky zukinni sticks and much more.

Overall a good book.
Mike Milani
I thought this book was a good read. It got boring at times and the plot wasnt the greatest but i would still reccommend this to anyone looking for a funny book.
Susan
Sep 11, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it
Lots of laughter throughout this book - we always love Bruno & Boots! I especially laughed at the very end of the story - good for you, Elmer!!
Katie
Mar 05, 2008 Katie rated it really liked it
My absolute favorite young adult fiction writer ever! His books are witty, appropriate and great adventure stories for young adults.
Eh?Eh!
Jun 25, 2007 Eh?Eh! rated it really liked it
Shelves: babble-added
I laughed until I cried when I first read this book. Nostalgia allows me to chuckle still.
Tonia
Feb 10, 2009 Tonia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faves-as-a-kid
all the books in the MacDonald hall series are hilarious, this is one of the best.
Mas5thgrade2011
This was a great book. It made me think Gordon Korman was the author for me.
Hank
Apr 05, 2007 Hank rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood
Great hilarity and delightful jokes :D A great series to read as a child.
Enikő
Feb 10, 2011 Enikő rated it liked it
More giggles and audibles laughs guaranteed with this one... :o)
Anthony
Nov 15, 2012 Anthony rated it it was amazing
Gordon Korman at his best! Sports, Humour and Macdonald Hall
Jack E.
Oct 29, 2013 Jack E. rated it really liked it
Very funny, goes against all sexist things in history
Richard Dong
Jan 11, 2008 Richard Dong rated it really liked it
Shelves: old
Very funny. Always expected of Gordon Korman.
  • Airball: My Life in Briefs
  • Alligator Pie (Collector's Edition)
  • That Scatterbrain Booky (Booky, #1)
  • Green
  • Kalle Blomquist lebt gefährlich
  • 101 Ways to Bug Your Parents
  • My Perfect Guy (Sweet Valley Jr. High, #14)
  • Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Practicing the Piano: But She Does Love Being in Recitals (Moxy Maxwell, #3)
  • The Secret World of Og
  • It Happened on a Train (Brixton Brothers, #3)
  • A to Z Mysteries: Books A-H [8-Book Boxed Set]
  • Auden: Poems
  • Looking At The Moon (The Guests of War Trilogy, #2)
  • Zsazsa Zaturnnah sa Kalakhang Maynila (Part One) (Zsazsa Zaturnnah sa Kalakhang Maynila, #1)
  • Miss Pickerell Goes to Mars
  • The Great Brain Reforms (Great Brain #5)
  • Trauma Queen
  • The War with Grandpa
Korman wrote his first book, "This Can't be Happening at Macdonald Hall", when he was 12 years old, for a coach who suddenly found himself teaching 7th grade English. He later took that episode and created a book out of it, as well, in "The Sixth Grade Nickname Game", wherein Mr. Huge was based on that 7th grade teacher.

Korman moved to New York City, where he studied film and film writing. While i
More about Gordon Korman...

Macdonald Hall (7 books)
  • This Can't Be Happening at MacDonald Hall! (MacDonald Hall, #1)
  • Go Jump in the Pool! (MacDonald Hall, #2)
  • Beware the Fish! (MacDonald Hall, #3)
  • The War with Mr. Wizzle (MacDonald Hall, #4)
  • MacDonald Hall Goes Hollywood (MacDonald Hall, #6)
  • Something Fishy at Macdonald Hall (MacDonald Hall, #7)