Escape (Island, #3)

Escape (Island #3)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  1,946 ratings  ·  94 reviews
Things were bad enough when Luke, Lyssa, Will, J.J. Ian, and Charla were stuck alone on the island. But now they have company-really bad company. Plus, Will is seriously injured and needs help immediately. Before, escape was something the kids could only hope for. Now it's a matter of life and death.

Book Details: Format: Paperback Publication Date: 8/1/2001 Pages: 144 Read...more
Published August 1st 2001 by Scholastic (first published July 28th 2001)

Fledgling by Mark A. CooperRevenge by Mark A. CooperAbsolutely Nothing by Mark A. CooperThe Recruit by Robert MuchamoreHalf-Moon Investigations by Eoin Colfer
Books Like Alex Rider
173rd out of 196 books — 164 voters
Hatchet by Gary PaulsenMy Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead GeorgeAlive by Piers Paul ReadThe Swiss Family Robinson by Johann David WyssLord of the Flies by William Golding
Best Wilderness Survival Books
23rd out of 61 books — 31 voters

More lists with this book...

Penny
I read the first two in this series several years ago, but missed the third. It was pretty much worth the wait though - not high literature, but fairly entertaining. I like it for my classroom because: it is short, it is part of a series, and it is suspenseful - three strong ingredients for reluctant readers.
Lisa
The final installment of the Island trilogy, Escape has Luke and the other kids having to make desperate descisions to find a way to not only survive, but to get out. Knowing that the only people that will ever find them on the island are murdering smugglers, and having will dying of an infection from a bullet would, they make the choice to have one of them stow away on the smugglers plane to try and get help. But when rescue still doesn't come, they may have to take matters into their own hands...more
Odette
I'm not sure why I like this series, but I really, really do. It's about a group of kids, all of whom have serious issues, who end up on an island trying to survive. Things spiral out of control from there, and it stops being just a man versus nature story in pretty incredible (unbelievable?) ways. And I still really like it.
Chad
Sep 23, 2012 Chad rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: youth
I enjoyed this final book of the Island series. I wanted to read this book right after I finished the second book and it did not disappoint. My son and daughter, 12 and 9, both have enjoyed this series as well. I read this book one day after I finished the 2nd book and finished in the same day. Easy read and enjoyable!
Daniel
A clear and present danger is on the island, and the castaways' are falling apart. J.J. runs off into the woods, Will is fatally injured, and even Charla is losing her temper. This thrilling conclusion to the Island series made me sad to leave these characters.
Kate
This was a awesome book, the only problem was that I have not read books 1 or 2.
I think that all the characters became better people in this book, although that is true with a lot of characters in many books.
Victoria
The thrilling conclusion to the Island series, this book doesn't slack off the action one bit. In fact, it pretty much increases.

Reunited with their lost friends, and with Will’s memory returned, there are new problems for the six castaways to face. Will, though his mind is back to normal, has now suffered an accidental gunshot wound to the leg. Moreover, the six have discovered an abandoned army base from W.W. II, and an atomic bomb, which was left forgotten after it was never deployed. With no...more
Jelinas
By the time I got to the third book in Gordon Korman's Island series, it was kind of a relief just to know that it would all be over soon.

To recap the events of Shipwreck and Survival (SPOILERS AHEAD, BUT THIS IS A REVIEW OF BOOK 3, SO I'D HAVE HOPED YOU'D HAVE FIGURED THAT OUT ON YOUR OWN), thirteen-year-old Luke Haggerty is framed for a crime he didn't commit and is sent, as part of his sentence, to participate in a sailing trip with five other troubled kids. Charla Swann is an overachiever...more
Josiah Janusz
Mar 06, 2013 Josiah Janusz is currently reading it
I thought this book was very thrilling and i wish they would have made another book. My favorite character is Ian he is a very smart boy who gets all his knowledge from the discovery channel. He has saved them from starvation many times and he has come up with a way to get ocean water into fresh water. This book is all about surviving except for there is one problem there are drug smugglers on the island with them they saw a man shoot another man with out a wince. And the rich son of famous movi...more
Jack T.
This is a awesome book!! It is the third book of the Island series. The six kids have been on the island a long time. There are smugglers on the island and will not help them to safety. One of them is shot in the leg and is getting very sick. Read the book to find out the ending and what happened to them!!! I liked it because there is a lot of action and it is full of thrill and excitement. I would recommend it to everybody !!
Samantha
No. I just did not like this book AT ALL. That was a very bad ending. I cannot express how much I disliked this book. So bad.
Magee
I read all three books in 3 days. My son got these books (he is 10) and really liked them. They are more for his age, but he liked them so much he thought I should read them. I enjoyed the story, it was full of lots of adventure. I think this is a great series for kids my son's age. Adults might like it for a quick, easy adventure read. The characters are all portrayed well and you get a feel for each one and how they ended up where they were. It is almost a treasure island type story. It kept t...more
M.
Last book of Gordon Korman's trilogy, Island. A very good series for boys and for many reluctant readers. In the first two books, six kids are sent to participate in a program for troubled youths. They get shipwrecked, figure out how to survive while meeting all sorts of danger, and now need to be rescued. Life has been hard enough on the island, but Will's injured leg needs modern medical attention right now or he might die. Not only that, the bad guys are back on the island. How can the kids s...more
Arjunbir
this book is a really good book to read brcause it teaches you lot of new things such as how to survive in the island with all the smuglers around you.
6nicholas
I think that the book was exiting at the end and it was saprissing at the end, But to get what is going on in the book you have to read the whole serese. Even if you don't like this seriese there are other books he has wrote. All the action keeps you at the edge of your seat and you just wants to know what goes down at the end of the book. The people that would like this book is surviving with nothing. Most of the charactors make the book better because they fight for food or drinks and tear eac...more
Aidan
Mar 09, 2014 Aidan added it
bmvb,gv./c,
Raevyn [Hello!]
My favorite series EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't complain about these AT ALL.
Ellen
Korman brings the Island saga to a satisfying end with book three. I'm glad each distinct character did indeed have a good reason for making it to the island. Like the castaways, I wondered when J.J. would finally let go of his delusion that CNC would just come back and rescue them. The kids may have faced some unbelieveable, incredible situations, but I went along with them willingly. Korman has taken me to a place I never want to visit in real life, yet it is one I will never forget.
Kelly Canavan
I thought this book was very interesting because it was very exciting and it was a book that you must keep reading. J.J. went back with the smugglers to get help. The rest of the gang stayed put including Will who had a bullet in his leg. Will, Lyssa, Luke, Ian, and Charla all prayed that J.J. would make it back in time before Will died of bad infection. If you want to know if everyone live then I highly recommened reading these series of books. They are fun, exciting, and very detailed.
Brigid
Jul 07, 2013 Brigid rated it 2 of 5 stars Recommends it for: middle schoolers
I like Korman's trio's of different survival adventure stories. They always catch my eye, and I was hoping to interest my son in this series; however, I didn't find these books compelling enough. The characters were quite shallowly dealt with and covered as many stereotypes as possible. While it's nowhere near "Lord of the Flies" for impact and style, this story will appeal to survival-adventure story aficionados. We still get the setup, the crisis, the survival, and the rescue.
Keith
Certainly a fun series! The end with JJ was pretty cool, but I didn't exactly like the way the others were rescued. It felt a bit anti-climatic. Maybe it wouldn't have been realistic to have them sail all the way to safety on the raft, but to have them go to all that trouble for nothing felt like we were robbed. Still a fast good read by one of my favorite authors!
Terry
The first book is a survival story at-sea. Book two was 'survival-on-an-island-with-bad-guys.' This one brings a satisfactory conclusion to the yarn that works for the intended audience (upper-elementary and middle school boys). It does wrap up quickly and remains implausible all the way along, but Korman doesn't let the plot slack. My eight year old loved it. There is some realistic violence and use of 'God' as a general interjection.
Alice
I though this is a very good book. They got tired of being on the island for so long they diside that it is time to try to get saved. One of the kids (J.J.)risked his life to save his friends. The smugglers are leaving and J.J goes on the plane with them. When they land J.J. runs away but they catch him they put him in jail but he gets the police to save him and his friend from the island. I recommend this book to everyone.
Hunter Robb
Escape is the third book in the island series. Everything starts with Will's injury worsening and his fever rising. They found some antibiotics in an abandoned base on the island and its one of the only thing keeping him conscious. They are going to try to stowaway J.J. to get ransom and escape. He is caught by the plane staff and is kept imprisoned. Will J.J. get out? Will Will recover? Read Escape to find out.
Yakking Yogini
This was a very good three-part mini series. But then, what's not to like about Gordon Korman? Survival, friendship, excitement, character development, healthy male-female relationships,optimistic ending,...in other words, a big thumbs up. I finally found out the age of one of it's characters (age 14), so technically not really tween (8-12) but teen(12-19)read. Enjoyed Holter Graham, the reader of this audiobook.
Meghan
I liked this book a lot. It was very interesting and I really liked the characters. The plot was fast paced. I liked the writing style. This series is better than the Everest series in my opinion.
I did have a complaint. The book is fiction, but there were somethings that just seemed a little too far-fetched. But most of it was pretty good.
Lee
Okay - after hating the first 2 of this series, I actually kind of enjoyed the ending. Maybe I got used to the unbelievable setting or the characters grew on me, but this is why I usually end up finishing a book once I start it. I am enjoying his other series ALOT more, but this was an okay ending to a horrible start.
Erin
May 11, 2008 Erin rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya-lit
This is probably the best book of the series. It gave closure to everything that happened in the previous two books (albeit a bit too neatly). This is a good series for lower level middle school students, particularly the reluctant readers who are disappointed when there's no "action" in the books they're forced to read.
Joseph H
Catherine
The last in this series is definitely the best written. I knocked it off in a couple of hours, it had me gripped and itironed out some of the disbelief I had over the second book.

I was reading these with an eye to buying them for the primary school library where I work. I must have for the collection.
  • Jack's Run (Zach's Lie, #2)
  • Downriver
  • The Voyage of the Frog
  • Jackie & Me (A Baseball Card Adventure #2)
  • The Shark Attacks of 1916 (I Survived, #2)
  • Snowfall
  • United We Stand
  • Static (Flight 29 Down, #1)
  • Da Wild, Da Crazy, Da Vinci (Time Warp Trio #14)
  • The Silver Door (The Three Doors Trilogy #2)
  • Final Touch (The Rayne Tour, #3)
  • The Worlds of Lois Lowry Boxed Set
  • The Ghost of Fossil Glen
  • Escaping The Giant Wave
  • Secrets (Undercover Girl, #1)
Korman wrote his first book, "This Can't be Happening at Macdonald Hall", when he was 12 years old, for a coach who suddenly found himself teaching 7th grade English. He later took that episode and created a book out of it, as well, in "The Sixth Grade Nickname Game", wherein Mr. Huge was based on that 7th grade teacher.

Korman moved to New York City, where he studied film and film writing. While i...more
More about Gordon Korman...
One False Note (The 39 Clues, #2) The Emperor's Code (The 39 Clues, #8) The Medusa Plot (39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #1) Schooled Swindle