Start by marking “The Knot Book: An Elementary Introduction to the Mathematical Theory of Knots (amsns AMS non-series title)” as Want to Read:

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Knots are familiar objects. We use them to moor our boats, to wrap our packages, to tie our shoes. Yet the mathematical theory of knots quickly leads to deep results in topology and geometry. "The Knot Book" is an introduction to this rich theory, starting with our familiar understanding of knots and a bit of college algebra and finishing with exciting topics of current re ...more
Published September 9th 2004 by American Mathematical Society (first published March 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Knot Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Knot Book

The book provides a general overview that is fairly accessible to a lay person like myself. I had some difficulty with explanations of rational knots. The accompanying illustration seemed different from the text explanation. The explanation of hyperbolic knots requires much more mathematical knowledge than I currently have. Fortunately, the annotated bibliography is very thorough, so I'll try a couple of those books.

I had to return this book to the library before I could finish it. I expect to r
Philip Rideout
This book is a rarity because it sits exactly at the right level of math for me: it's advanced enough to feel like a real mathematics book with theories and equations and whatnot, but it's still much more engaging than a college textbook. I admit that I just never "got" some of the more advanced stuff like hyperbolic knots, but Jones Polynomials etc are fairly easy to understand and fascinating.
Covers a large number of topics (e.g. analysis, algebra, topology) without assuming much background. Provides lots of interesting things to think about, and will often gloss over the technical details, which I think makes this book work very well actually.

My favorite parts were probably supercoiling, knot and graph polynomials, and the discussions of three-manifolds.
The most readable math text about what I find to be the most interesting field in math.
Saman Esfahani
Saman Esfahani is currently reading it
Sep 27, 2015
Tom marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Micaela marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Pallav Goyal
Pallav Goyal marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
Prabhash Mishra
Prabhash Mishra marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Dilip Muthukrishnan
Dilip Muthukrishnan marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Zachary Palumbo
Zachary Palumbo marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
أبو ورد
أبو ورد marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
Kevin marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
Yenifer Rivas Garcia
Yenifer Rivas Garcia marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Charlotte Force
Charlotte Force is currently reading it
Aug 29, 2015
Priscilla Moreno
Priscilla Moreno marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Brendan Shah
Brendan Shah marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Brian marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Dhiraj marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
B A marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
How to Ace Calculus: The Streetwise Guide How to Ace the Rest of Calculus: The Streetwise Guide, Including MultiVariable Calculus Zombies & Calculus Introduction to Topology: Pure and Applied Riot at the Calc Exam and Other Mathematically Bent Stories