You Wouldn't Want to Be in Alexander the Great's Army!: Miles You'd Rather Not March (You Wouldn't Want to...)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  12 reviews
This fun and interesting, interactive series will enthrall young readers by making them a part of the story. Readers will become the main character and can revel in the gory, dark, horrific side of life throughout important moments in history. Humorous "Handy Hints" that relate directly to the text are provided on each spread. You (the reader) are an English gentleman eage...more
Published October 1st 2005 by Children's Press(CT)

Be the first to ask a question about You Wouldn't Want to Be in Alexander the Great's Army!

Elizabethe
I loved this book. It combines a "daily experience" perspective with a history of the actual key events in Alexander the Great's conquest -- there were dates! and maps! I read this out loud to my K and pre-K boys and they also loved it, but I think it's definitely more appropriate for older children. Ideal (in terms of level of historical detail) for the first or even second pass as a self-read through Ancient History on a classical homeschooling timeline.

It has graphic details of gory and dist...more
Allison
I have always been fascinated with learning about Alexander the Great and when I came across this book on the shelves I had to give it a try. The author, Jacqueline Morley, puts the reader in the position of being a foot soldier and throughout the book she shares some information on what it is like to be one in Alexander's army. It shares some facts with the reader and gives an outline to Alexander's life, his achievements as such a young and effective leader.

This book is appropriate for ages 8...more
Duane
I've always enjoyed this series of books and this book delivers just the same amount of entertainment. We follow a man as he enters Alexander's armies. Walking thousands of miles, we see the savagery and hardships that the men encountered along the way. Filled with great illustrations and honest facts, this book is a great source of entertainment for anyone interested in the subject.
Dale
I ran across this series at the local library. I'd never heard of it before but I certainly enjoyed You Wouldn't Want to Be in Alexander the Great's Army!: Miles You'd Rather Not March . It is aimed at 4th - 8th grade, depending on the reading level.

The cartoonish characters are fun, the history is accurate, although limited. That's okay, it is intended to be an introduction to the topic, not a graduate thesis. The nice thing about it is that it shows that history is not "boring." It is full of...more
Dolly
We've read many of the books in the You Wouldn't Want To... series. I like that they tackle serious historical events and show the not-so-nice side of human behavior, but in a somewhat humorous and tongue-in-cheek way. The book puts you as the reader into the center of the story, so you can imagine what life in those times was like.

Our oldest daughter is studying the Ancient Greece and Rome and we thought we'd read this book that explains a little more about the history of Alexander the Great. T...more
Ebookwormy
I appreciate what this series is attempting to do - to get beyond the headlines to real life experiences of historical figures, often presenting the 'down side' of history. I agree this kind of perspective is something students need.

But this series in general and this book in particular are just okay. Worth a library check out, but not something I would want to own.

Maybe its the silly cartoon illustrations, the short attention span box format, or the perhaps the flippant writing style. Whatever,...more
Ciera
Wow! What a way to learn about treachorous treaking with Alexander the Great! Set in ancient Greece this book opens doors to life in the army.
Samantha
I think Alexander "the Great" should be renamed Alexander the bad
Jenny Mock
Great for reluctant readers who need to be enticed to read.
Timothy
A funny way of telling a somewhat grim story.
Timothy
I like the humor in history it gives
Great summary of the topic.
Eileen
Eileen marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
J.m.
J.m. marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Shellie Ruppert
Shellie Ruppert marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Tim Brown
Tim Brown marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Marina
Marina marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Felicia
Felicia marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
You Wouldn't Want to Be a Pyramid Builder!: A Hazardous Job You'd Rather Not Have You Wouldn't Want to Be an American Colonist!: A Settlement You'd Rather Not Start You Wouldn't Want to Be an American Pioneer!: A Wilderness You'd Rather Not Tame You Wouldn't Want to Live in a Medieval Castle!: A Home You'd Rather Not Inhabit (You Wouldn't Want to...) You Wouldn't Want to Be a Sumerian Slave!: A Life of Hard Labor You'd Rather Avoid