Start by marking “The Climb (Everest, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Climb (Everest, #2)

The Climb (Everest #2)

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,292 Ratings  ·  76 Reviews

The youngest expedition ever to attempt an Everest climb has begun. But the trouble starts long before they reach the summit. Competition is fierce. Conditions are harsh. And the trek from Base Camp proves a challenge that not all the contestants can meet . . . with d
Published September 1st 2002 by Scholastic

The Recruit by Robert MuchamoreFledgling by Mark A. CooperThe Maze Runner by James DashnerArtemis Fowl by Eoin ColferCross My Heart and Hope to Spy by Ally Carter
Books Like Alex Rider
275th out of 378 books — 173 voters
I Want to Go Home! by Gordon KormanThis Can't Be Happening at MacDonald Hall! by Gordon KormanBeware the Fish! by Gordon KormanGo Jump in the Pool! by Gordon KormanNo More Dead Dogs by Gordon Korman
The Best of Gordon Korman
34th out of 45 books — 27 voters

More lists with this book...

Christopher
Jan 21, 2016 Christopher rated it really liked it
Dominic and three other climbers are on their way to the top of the world. They are part of an expedition call Summit Quest. Summit Quest would take four climbers to the top and make one of them the youngest person ever to get to the top of Mt. Everest. Cap Cicero is a legendary climber who is leading this expedition. When they find out some one is feeding National daily news on how Dominic is to small to make it to the top, the Nepal government finds out and tries to take him off the mountain. ...more
Sam S
Oct 10, 2014 Sam S rated it really liked it
This book was a very entertaining book! I like learning about all the things that can happened on Everest in this book.
This was the second Everest book. This book was about all the kids in the first book but they are now being able to climb Everest. When they first get to Everest the youngest person to climb Mount Everest is there and all the kids are in aw of him. One of the kids in the group of them wanted to get to base camp 1 the fastest but he got sick and he was realy dissapointed he wasn
Sharon Heaverly Machuga French
Again, I am reading these books as a favor to my daughter who will be using this series in her 4th grade classroom.
This book was slightly better than the first one in the series in that the author explains the climbing terms. The series is appropriate for 4th - 7th grades. Much of the terminology and vocabulary will require the students to use a dictionary which is not necessarily a bad thing.
Again, the prologue in this second book in the series leaves a huge question which still goes unanswer
Rebecca Boliard
May 11, 2015 Rebecca Boliard rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
**Series book 2**
The second book in the series begins the journey of the winners of the training camp to the great Mt. Everest. The rough journey to the top begins and Dominic is on his way to being the youngest person to climb to the top. The journey is a rough one, will there be deaths, who will make it to the top? "For one of the four climbers team members, it would be a final resting place."

Korman kills it with this series and book two adds to the excitement. I cannot wait to put this on my
Melissa
Oct 19, 2014 Melissa rated it it was amazing
The 2nd book in this series offered just as much suspense and excitement as the first. Can't wait to see how it wraps up in the final book!

"The ascent of Everest begins . . . along with the first casualties on the youngest mission ever to the top. The youngest expedition ever to attempt an Everest climb has begun. But the trouble starts long before they reach the summit. Competition is fierce. Conditions are harsh. And the trek from Base Camp proves a challenge that not all the contestants can m
Laura Verret
Dec 16, 2014 Laura Verret rated it really liked it
Book two in Gordon Korman’s Everest trilogy.

The Story.

This is it. All of the heartache and preparation that Dominic Alexis and his three comrades underwent at SummitQuest bootcamp has reached its culmination – they are headed for the top of Mount Everest!

Of course, it’s not as simple as that sounds – first they have to fly to Nepal, then trek to the actual mountain, then spend time encamping at different levels on the mountain so their lungs can acclimate to the altitude.

Dominic, being the young
Leeanna
Apr 05, 2010 Leeanna rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own
Everest #2: The Climb, by Gordon Korman

Continuing the premise introduced in book one of the Everest trilogy, "The Climb" follows the chosen four as they get ready for their attempt to conquer the highest mountain in the world.

Korman keeps the action going at a brisk pace, and describes the process all climbers undertake as they prepare to summit Everest. Acclimatization is extremely important, as their bodies have to get used to less oxygen in the air.

By now, readers will probably have a favor
Ivan
May 20, 2010 Ivan rated it liked it
Shelves: 3rd-term
Mount Everest. The tallest point of the Earth. Many of men and women have dared to conquer this massive beast and failed. The story follows a team of teenage climbers and their leader Cap Cicero, as they attempt to become the youngest group of people ever to scale Everest. For Dominic, the youngest member of the team, his dream of climbing Everest almost disappears as he is stuck at the bottom with HAPE (High Altitude Pulmonary Edema) and barely makes it to the base camp. Dominic later in the bo ...more
Jelinas
Mar 10, 2010 Jelinas rated it really liked it
The second book in Gordon Korman's Everest trilogy follows thirteen-year-old Dominic Alexis and the SummitQuest Team to Everest's Base Camp. Climbers rest and train at the camp for a few weeks before tackling Everest in order to get acclimated to the altitude.

I appreciated that Korman decided to dedicate an entire volume of his book to Base Camp because this is how it would happen in real life (well, except for the whole thirteen-year-old trying to climb Everest thing. The youngest person ever t
Bobbie Jo
Jan 24, 2016 Bobbie Jo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes - I have been sucked in by my third graders reading assignment. I am so enjoying Korman's writing as well as enjoying the connection with my son.

In the second installment the Summit team has embarked on their Mount Everest journey. And Mount Everest is no joke. Just when you think Dominic has reached his end he does again something selfless. Their is a rat in their midst - it scares me as a reader for what is to come.

Looking forward to book three :)
Jessica
Jul 17, 2014 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I forgot what crazy adventures ensued in the second book! I still hate Tilt, Perry is still afraid to tell anyone he doesn't like climbing & Dominic is still headed for the summit - much to everyone's shock & awe.

Book 3 will be a great adventure as well!
Xavier
Mar 09, 2009 Xavier rated it really liked it
Patricia Edelmann
Apr 10, 2016 Patricia Edelmann rated it really liked it
This is the second book of a three part series. A compelling story about young teens and their quest to climb Everest. I highly recommend it for upper elementary and teaching about perseverance, team work and character traits.
Collin
Feb 29, 2016 Collin rated it it was amazing
I liked this book because it shows how harsh the conditions are on Everest and how people can come together when something goes bad.
Audrey
Jun 16, 2015 Audrey rated it liked it
Exciting story of beginning the climb up Mount Everest and a brave rescue. suitable for middle grades and other interested readers
Mohamad
Aug 20, 2015 Mohamad rated it it was ok
This venture out for mount everest was quite thrilling and the setting was fairly displayed nice ,however,it did not correspond with my fancies and I rated it 2 stars.
Danny Holman
Mar 08, 2016 Danny Holman rated it really liked it
Very fast paced and exciting. Also, I liked the way he wrote it from one persons point of view to another.
Gwendolyn
Sep 29, 2015 Gwendolyn rated it liked it
Shelves: survival, kids
Started in the middle of the series. I remember liking it, but never finding the other books at my library.
Edwin Garcia
Oct 02, 2012 Edwin Garcia rated it really liked it
I read this book because last year, one of my teachers was talking about it. But since at that time I wasen't interested into books so I didn't care. But now that I am more interested into books and I like to read mostly about action and non-fiction. I was looking for a book in the school libary and saw the book "Everest". I remembered what my teacher said and I read the back cover and got sucked into the book. The book created this magnificent picture in my mined. I quickly started to read this ...more
Hailey Carstairs
Feb 27, 2016 Hailey Carstairs rated it really liked it
I read this series a while back, but I remember it being good
Roger
Feb 29, 2016 Roger rated it really liked it
this book is the follow up book to everest 1
Susan McGilvray
Jul 20, 2014 Susan McGilvray rated it liked it
I think my boys would eat this up!
6nicholas
Apr 22, 2013 6nicholas rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book because when I finished this book I just can't wait to read the next book. This second one is better because the first is just getting the group together and mating them. I really hope that the therd book will be better then this one because this series is very exciting. The setting is at mount everest and there is a kid that try's to clump it and he is the younges to climb mount everest! I think that the people that would like this book is adventures and action.
Eirik
Sep 18, 2011 Eirik rated it really liked it
It was a good book, it was like a part two to The Contest, so if I didn't read that then I would be totally lost. So if you are looking to read this book and you havent read the contest, then read that first. It is the same cover but it is brown. As for how the book was I think it was a very exciting book. It was especaly exsiting for me because I have been to the Everest base camp. So I know all what they are talking about when they fly into Lucla and go into Namche Bazaar.
Connorlee
Dec 01, 2010 Connorlee rated it it was amazing
It was really good. Ienjoyed reading about all the adventures that all the team mates had. Their is some bullying but over all everything plays out well. Now even though I haven't read the whole series yet, I have one more book to read, I'm still gana say that I recomend this series to my crew. But you have to read the series in order with book one coming first and book three coming last other wise you prbably won't get it.
by: Connor Lee
Michele
May 06, 2011 Michele rated it liked it
Fun series! I chose to read this series because I loved the book Peak by Roland Smith. This series served to prolong my interest in the Mt. Everest experience, and it is good read. It does not have the same depth of character development that Peak has, and the ending seems to show characters getting "what they deserve" which is a little predictable, but I still enjoyed the experience and would recommend the books.
Daymon
Nov 01, 2011 Daymon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: action-adventure
I thought it was a really good book. It was about a boy named Dominic Alexis. There is a contest that some organization is doing, and he is trying to win it. So he runs away from home to go to a store to buy the V but dosen't get it. Then he finds a wraper that a guy through out his window and Dominic goes and grabs it and finds a V in there. And so that means he gets to go to the worlds tallest mountain with his brother. Or does he.
Odette
Mar 23, 2011 Odette rated it liked it
These books are, on the surface, pretty simple and straight forward. You take a bunch of kids with serious problems that they're usually hiding, throw them all together and then throw them all into intense natural environments. And then stuff goes down. But nevertheless, I really enjoy these books. I did like this series less than the Island series, but they're still quite good and I've read them each several times.
George
Jan 29, 2014 George rated it really liked it
This book is awesome i loved reading it it was funny,sad,and weird.The book was really great i loved how Dominic always got better from sickness and kept climbing no matter what
Anthony
Feb 25, 2010 Anthony rated it really liked it
This book is a sequel to to Everest book number 1. this book is about the summit quest team climbing mount everest and going through a whole bunch of obstacles like conflicts and lying people and sick kids but they learned to push through it and fight through it. that is why i like this book because it has taught me to fight through and never quit in what you are doing.
  • No Safe Place
  • The Surge (Storm Runners, #2)
  • Blaze of Silver (The de Granville Trilogy, #3)
  • Tucket's Ride (The Tucket Adventures, #3)
  • Trackers (Trackers #1)
  • The Hideout
  • Final Touch (The Rayne Tour, #3)
  • Trial by Fire (Stranded, #2)
  • The Best Poems Ever: A Collection of Poetry's Greatest Voices
  • Halfway to the Sky
  • Under Copp's Hill (American Girl History Mysteries, #8)
  • The Return (Flight 29 Down, #3)
  • Hide and Seek (Spy X, #2)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Sisters of Mercy (Sammy Keyes, #3)
  • The Well: David's Story
  • Snowfall
Korman wrote his first book, "This Can't be Happening at Macdonald Hall", when he was 12 years old, for a coach who suddenly found himself teaching 7th grade English. He later took that episode and created a book out of it, as well, in "The Sixth Grade Nickname Game", wherein Mr. Huge was based on that 7th grade teacher.

Korman moved to New York City, where he studied film and film writing. While i
More about Gordon Korman...

Everest (3 books)
  • The Contest (Everest, #1)
  • The Summit (Everest, #3)