The Goose Girl: A Story from the Brothers Grimm

The Goose Girl: A Story from the Brothers Grimm (Children's and Household Tales #89)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  262 ratings  ·  20 reviews
In this tale of treachery and disguise, a princess marries a prince.
Published September 1st 1995 by Holiday House (first published 1812)

To ask other readers questions about The Goose Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Goose Girl

The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonThe Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg LarssonGirl With a Pearl Earring by Tracy ChevalierThe Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson
Books with 'Girl' in the title
39th out of 483 books — 62 voters
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Raven by Edgar Allan PoeI Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya AngelouMake Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskeyHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
The Birds
76th out of 371 books — 66 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa C
This book was really short!
Liz
Week 5: Grimm version of Goose Girl

The newly betrothed princess and her maid in waiting, Margaret, are traveling to distant kingdom to meet the prince. Margaret over throws the princess, forcing her to trade identities, clothes, and horses, and making her take an oath of secrecy. When the two finally arrive at the new kingdom Margaret continues to act as the princess, leaving the true princess to work in the stables with the kings flock of geese. Sensing something wrong, the king finds the truth...more
Elle
I have a pile of old Grimm stories sitting around so I figured I'd finally get around to reading them. I read a lot when I was younger, but I had never heard of this one.

Honestly, it was pretty rubbish. The Princess is a total walk over and I kept waiting for a magical twist in which the maid was all powerful, and that is why the Princess did what she said, but no, she was just a wimp who done what she was told.

The end was done in true Grimm style - bit of torture but an essentially happy ending...more
Brennan Wieland
As you can normally expect from a Grimm Brothers story, this story has a darkness to it. It seemed like a classic tale where the evil chambermaid forces the princess to switch with her, so that she can marry the king. In the end the maid is found out, and suffers a gruesome death which she herself created unknowingly.

I always enjoy the Brothers Grimm stories, they're original and keep you guessing. I look forward to reading more of theirs.
Sidharth Vardhan
Not of a very good one. Except if Grimm bothers wanted to show how manipulable the good and gullible people are
Brinn
In this story a princess goes on a long journey to meet her new prince and marry him. On the journey her made steals her clothes and her identity, in the end the king find out the real truth. Illustrations are Full page spreads with bright colors.
Kimmel, Eric A. (1995). The Goose Girl. New York: Holiday House.
Fi °♥° LoveMoonStars

"Here I sit forsaken of all the world, and I am a King's daughter, and a wicked waiting-woman forced me to give up my royal garments and my place at the bridegroom's side, and I am made a goose-girl, and have to do mean service. And if my mother knew, it would break her heart."

Rachel
(Pictue Book) A story about the importance of good character traits such as kindness and humility. On the way to the king's palace, a girl is forced to switch places with the maid who tries to pass as the princess, but is discovered because of her unkindness and the kindness of the true princess.
Nohely
A story quite similar to Cinderella, yet I liked this one better. I repeat that I don't care about the illustrations, I only care about the story which I enjoyed. The part that I like the best was when the king asked the maid what would the perfect punishment be.

It's a good story.
Jessica
I hated the girl. She was such a coward, and allowed her maid to bully her. She did nothing to help herself. It was only by chance that the king found out, and then he did the rest. I much prefer Shannon Hales version, and it is much longer.
Mikael
The art was beautiful! There was a couple parts of the story that were a little morbid, but other than that it was great.
Anya Bee
It's strange how fairy-tales get silly when you read them when you're old. Or maybe that's me.
Jim
this must be a brothers grimm story. blood. gore. revenge. all for children. nice art.
Vicky Ashwell
This was my absolute favourite book when I was a little girl and I still love it today!
Hailey
It was wonderful. I think shannon hale made a good book out of this very story.
Jane
I read it online here.
Theresa
a classic story told with beautiful pictures, and dynamic illustrations
Eshana
a mixture of three stories . its amazing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wisty
I really love this story, for some reason!
Deylyn Brizuela
it is a great book
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Teija
Teija added it
Sep 12, 2014
Becky Littlefield
Becky Littlefield marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Cecilia Arevalo
Cecilia Arevalo marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Diane Stensland-bickers
Diane Stensland-bickers marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
  • The Twelve Dancing Princesses
  • The Elves and the Shoemaker
  • The Frog Prince (We Both Read - Level 1-2)
  • Rose Red & Snow White: A Grimms Fairy Tale
  • Hansel and Gretel
  • Thumbelina
  • The Wild Swans
  • Please Mrs Butler
  • Robin Hood (Disney's Classic Storybook)
  • The Twelve Dancing Princesses
  • The Sleeping Beauty
  • Princess Furball
  • Ten Birds
  • Snow White
Eric A. Kimmel was born in Brooklyn, NY in 1946. He attended PS 193, Andries Hudde Junior High School, and Midwood High School. Brooklyn College was across the street from his high school, so he didn’t want to go there. He headed west, to Easton, Pennsylvania where he graduated from Lafayette College in 1967 with a bachelor’s degree in English literature.
Eric worked as an elementary school teache...more
More about Eric A. Kimmel...
Hershel and the Hanukkah Goblins Anansi and the Moss-Covered Rock Anansi and the Talking Melon I Took My Frog to the Library Anansi and the Magic Stick