The Goose Girl: A Story from the Brothers Grimm

The Goose Girl: A Story from the Brothers Grimm (Children's and Household Tales #89)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  230 ratings  ·  18 reviews
In this tale of treachery and disguise, a princess marries a prince.
Published September 1st 1995 by Holiday House (first published 1812)

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Raven by Edgar Allan PoeI Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya AngelouMake Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskeyHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
The Birds
72nd out of 341 books — 60 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
Birds on a cover
48th out of 255 books — 63 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa C
This book was really short!
Liz
Week 5: Grimm version of Goose Girl

The newly betrothed princess and her maid in waiting, Margaret, are traveling to distant kingdom to meet the prince. Margaret over throws the princess, forcing her to trade identities, clothes, and horses, and making her take an oath of secrecy. When the two finally arrive at the new kingdom Margaret continues to act as the princess, leaving the true princess to work in the stables with the kings flock of geese. Sensing something wrong, the king finds the truth...more
Elle
I have a pile of old Grimm stories sitting around so I figured I'd finally get around to reading them. I read a lot when I was younger, but I had never heard of this one.

Honestly, it was pretty rubbish. The Princess is a total walk over and I kept waiting for a magical twist in which the maid was all powerful, and that is why the Princess did what she said, but no, she was just a wimp who done what she was told.

The end was done in true Grimm style - bit of torture but an essentially happy ending...more
Brennan Wieland
As you can normally expect from a Grimm Brothers story, this story has a darkness to it. It seemed like a classic tale where the evil chambermaid forces the princess to switch with her, so that she can marry the king. In the end the maid is found out, and suffers a gruesome death which she herself created unknowingly.

I always enjoy the Brothers Grimm stories, they're original and keep you guessing. I look forward to reading more of theirs.
Brinn
In this story a princess goes on a long journey to meet her new prince and marry him. On the journey her made steals her clothes and her identity, in the end the king find out the real truth. Illustrations are Full page spreads with bright colors.
Kimmel, Eric A. (1995). The Goose Girl. New York: Holiday House.
Rachel
(Pictue Book) A story about the importance of good character traits such as kindness and humility. On the way to the king's palace, a girl is forced to switch places with the maid who tries to pass as the princess, but is discovered because of her unkindness and the kindness of the true princess.
Nohely
A story quite similar to Cinderella, yet I liked this one better. I repeat that I don't care about the illustrations, I only care about the story which I enjoyed. The part that I like the best was when the king asked the maid what would the perfect punishment be.

It's a good story.
Jessica
I hated the girl. She was such a coward, and allowed her maid to bully her. She did nothing to help herself. It was only by chance that the king found out, and then he did the rest. I much prefer Shannon Hales version, and it is much longer.
Mikael
The art was beautiful! There was a couple parts of the story that were a little morbid, but other than that it was great.
Anya Bee
It's strange how fairy-tales get silly when you read them when you're old. Or maybe that's me.
Jim
this must be a brothers grimm story. blood. gore. revenge. all for children. nice art.
Vicky Ashwell
This was my absolute favourite book when I was a little girl and I still love it today!
Hailey
It was wonderful. I think shannon hale made a good book out of this very story.
Jane
I read it online here.
Theresa
a classic story told with beautiful pictures, and dynamic illustrations
Eshana
a mixture of three stories . its amazing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wisty
I really love this story, for some reason!
Deylyn Brizuela
it is a great book
Eugene Krabs
Eugene Krabs marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Naomi
Naomi marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Mighel
Mighel added it
Apr 07, 2014
Yuan Xie
Yuan Xie marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Elizabeth Powell
Elizabeth Powell marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Chelle
Chelle added it
Mar 29, 2014
Sandy
Sandy added it
Mar 24, 2014
Lauren Cottrell
Lauren Cottrell marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
  • The Frog Prince (We Both Read - Level 1-2)
  • The Elves and the Shoemaker
  • The Twelve Dancing Princesses
  • The Sleeping Beauty
  • The Lady and the Lion
  • The Wild Swans
  • Robin Hood (Disney's Classic Storybook)
  • Snow-White and the Seven Dwarfs: A Tale from the Brothers Grimm (Sunburst Book)
  • Comet's Nine Lives
  • The Princess and the Pea
  • Princess Furball
  • Snow White
Eric A. Kimmel was born in Brooklyn, NY in 1946. He attended PS 193, Andries Hudde Junior High School, and Midwood High School. Brooklyn College was across the street from his high school, so he didn’t want to go there. He headed west, to Easton, Pennsylvania where he graduated from Lafayette College in 1967 with a bachelor’s degree in English literature.
Eric worked as an elementary school teache...more
More about Eric A. Kimmel...
Hershel and the Hanukkah Goblins Anansi and the Moss-Covered Rock Anansi and the Talking Melon I Took My Frog to the Library Anansi and the Magic Stick