Start by marking “The Goose Girl: A Story from the Brothers Grimm” as Want to Read:
The Goose Girl: A Story from the Brothers Grimm

The Goose Girl: A Story from the Brothers Grimm

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  346 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
In this tale of treachery and disguise, a princess marries a prince.
Published September 1st 1995 by Holiday House (first published 1812)

To ask other readers questions about The Goose Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Goose Girl

The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales by Jacob GrimmThe Annotated Brothers Grimm by Jacob GrimmLittle Red Riding Hood by Trina Schart HymanSnow White by Jacob GrimmRapunzel by Paul O. Zelinsky
Best Brothers Grimm Books
6th out of 33 books — 19 voters
Catching Fire by Suzanne CollinsThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
Birds on a cover
65th out of 416 books — 110 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa C
Feb 01, 2008 Lisa C rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, children-s
This book was really short!
Liz
Week 5: Grimm version of Goose Girl

The newly betrothed princess and her maid in waiting, Margaret, are traveling to distant kingdom to meet the prince. Margaret over throws the princess, forcing her to trade identities, clothes, and horses, and making her take an oath of secrecy. When the two finally arrive at the new kingdom Margaret continues to act as the princess, leaving the true princess to work in the stables with the kings flock of geese. Sensing something wrong, the king finds the truth
Roxanna
Dec 29, 2014 Roxanna rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
I read Shannon Hale's Goose Girl book last year around this time and stumbled upon this Grimm fairy tale just now. Fun to see where Shannon Hale took liberties and elaborated on the story further. If you thought this was okay or enjoyed it, go read her version.
Christina
Dec 29, 2014 Christina rated it liked it
Not as engaging as Kimmel's other tales. The punishment of a young woman being placed naked into a spike-lined barrel and dragged through the streets until dead was harsh, but then again, this fairy tale does derive from the Bothers Grimm.
Dione Basseri
One of the more distressing fairy tales, actually. A princess is sent off to marry a man she has never met, but her servant bullies the royal and takes her place, even going so far as to kill the princess's horse, so it won't betray the secret. The princess becomes a goose herder, but, of course, goodness and (more importantly) royalty win out. With a pretty harsh revenge, though one of the servant's own devising.

This is the basis of "The Goose Girl" by Shannon Hale, which I recommend far more e
Elle
Feb 07, 2012 Elle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
I have a pile of old Grimm stories sitting around so I figured I'd finally get around to reading them. I read a lot when I was younger, but I had never heard of this one.

Honestly, it was pretty rubbish. The Princess is a total walk over and I kept waiting for a magical twist in which the maid was all powerful, and that is why the Princess did what she said, but no, she was just a wimp who done what she was told.

The end was done in true Grimm style - bit of torture but an essentially happy ending
Brennan Wieland
Mar 03, 2011 Brennan Wieland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As you can normally expect from a Grimm Brothers story, this story has a darkness to it. It seemed like a classic tale where the evil chambermaid forces the princess to switch with her, so that she can marry the king. In the end the maid is found out, and suffers a gruesome death which she herself created unknowingly.

I always enjoy the Brothers Grimm stories, they're original and keep you guessing. I look forward to reading more of theirs.
Brinn
Apr 19, 2009 Brinn rated it liked it
In this story a princess goes on a long journey to meet her new prince and marry him. On the journey her made steals her clothes and her identity, in the end the king find out the real truth. Illustrations are Full page spreads with bright colors.
Kimmel, Eric A. (1995). The Goose Girl. New York: Holiday House.
☪♥Magic Love Wonderland☯♥Love☮

"Here I sit forsaken of all the world, and I am a King's daughter, and a wicked waiting-woman forced me to give up my royal garments and my place at the bridegroom's side, and I am made a goose-girl, and have to do mean service. And if my mother knew, it would break her heart."

Rachel
(Pictue Book) A story about the importance of good character traits such as kindness and humility. On the way to the king's palace, a girl is forced to switch places with the maid who tries to pass as the princess, but is discovered because of her unkindness and the kindness of the true princess.
Nohely
Feb 15, 2013 Nohely rated it liked it
A story quite similar to Cinderella, yet I liked this one better. I repeat that I don't care about the illustrations, I only care about the story which I enjoyed. The part that I like the best was when the king asked the maid what would the perfect punishment be.

It's a good story.
Jessica
Feb 12, 2011 Jessica rated it did not like it
I hated the girl. She was such a coward, and allowed her maid to bully her. She did nothing to help herself. It was only by chance that the king found out, and then he did the rest. I much prefer Shannon Hales version, and it is much longer.
Michael Fitzgerald
Unimpressive illustrations. And some bizarre story details (the horse's head?! the goose boy who feels a need to take some of the girl's hair?) And why the handkerchief if it just gets lost?)
Vaishali Joglekar
Jun 20, 2016 Vaishali Joglekar rated it liked it
Shockingly gruesome twists & turns early in the story, but magic that confuses rather than delights. Still, a great ending for our true princess.
Mikael
Sep 03, 2013 Mikael rated it it was amazing
The art was beautiful! There was a couple parts of the story that were a little morbid, but other than that it was great.
Sidharth Vardhan
Not of a very good one. Except if Grimm bothers wanted to show how manipulable the good and gullible people are
Christina-Rose
A bit unclear with why and how some events unfolded... I'll probably go back and check them out again.
Jim
Apr 30, 2011 Jim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
this must be a brothers grimm story. blood. gore. revenge. all for children. nice art.
Vicky Ashwell
Apr 26, 2011 Vicky Ashwell rated it it was amazing
This was my absolute favourite book when I was a little girl and I still love it today!
Hailey
Jan 12, 2013 Hailey rated it it was amazing
It was wonderful. I think shannon hale made a good book out of this very story.
Jane
Jan 25, 2009 Jane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: myths-tales
I read it online here.
Theresa
Aug 01, 2012 Theresa rated it liked it
Shelves: review
a classic story told with beautiful pictures, and dynamic illustrations
Eshana
May 21, 2012 Eshana rated it liked it
a mixture of three stories . its amazing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wisty
Oct 21, 2012 Wisty rated it it was amazing
I really love this story, for some reason!
Deylyn Brizuela
Oct 25, 2009 Deylyn Brizuela rated it it was amazing
it is a great book
Ellika
Ellika rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2016
Elizabeth Taylor
Elizabeth Taylor rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2016
Sero
Sero added it
Aug 08, 2016
Giselle Bradley
Giselle Bradley marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2016
Colette Erck
Colette Erck marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
  • The Twelve Dancing Princesses
  • The Lady and the Lion
  • Helga's Dowry: A Troll Love Story
  • The Frog Prince (We Both Read - Level 1-2)
  • Princess Furball
  • East of the Sun & West of the Moon
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • Humpty Dumpty Climbs Again
  • The Tale of the Firebird
Eric A. Kimmel was born in Brooklyn, NY in 1946. He attended PS 193, Andries Hudde Junior High School, and Midwood High School. Brooklyn College was across the street from his high school, so he didn’t want to go there. He headed west, to Easton, Pennsylvania where he graduated from Lafayette College in 1967 with a bachelor’s degree in English literature.
Eric worked as an elementary school teache
More about Eric A. Kimmel...