Start by marking “The Adman in the Parlor: Magazines and the Gendering of Consumer Culture, 1880s to 1910s” as Want to Read:

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  10 Ratings  ·  2 Reviews
How did advertising come to seem ordinary and even natural to turn-of-the-century magazine readers? The Adman in the Parlor explores readers' interactions with advertising during a period when not only consumption but advertising itself became established as a pleasure. Garvey's analysis interweaves such diverse texts and artifacts as advertising scrapbooks, chromolithogra ...more
Published June 6th 1996 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Adman in the Parlor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Adman in the Parlor

Courtney
Mar 03, 2016 Courtney rated it liked it
Though the work is quite short, it still feels as though it would have been better as a long article in a scholarly journal. Not recommended for laymen, unless you have an oddly heightened interest in advertising. The best part of the book is the chapter on bicycling and the medicalized anxieties that advertising had to defuse in order to sell them.
Rami
Dec 27, 2007 Rami rated it really liked it
Shelves: history-masters
It is fascinating how the consumeristic world we know today really has its roots in previous generations.
Emily
Emily added it
Oct 13, 2015
Arlian
Arlian marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Deborah
Deborah marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Tammy
Tammy marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Alli
Alli added it
Jul 11, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
A.
A. marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2013
Diann
Diann rated it liked it
Oct 23, 2013
Laurie
Laurie marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2013
Bria
Bria rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2013
Joseph
Joseph rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2013
Just Me
Just Me rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2013
Camille
Camille marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2012
Robin Bernstein
Robin Bernstein rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2012
Dani
Dani added it
Apr 28, 2012
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2011
Carol Tilley
Carol Tilley rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2011
Alycia
Alycia marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2010
Laura rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2009
Malgorzata
Malgorzata rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2008
I wrote Writing with Scissors to tell the story of the amazing scrapbooks ordinary people made from the newspapers they read. Writing The Adman in the Parlor taught me not to assume I knew how 19th century readers responded to their magazines. The scrapbooks I discuss in Writing with Scissors let me explore what readers did with their reading.

I have been a printer, a journalist, and an editor, an
More about Ellen Gruber Garvey...