Start by marking “Across China” as Want to Read:
Across China

Across China

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  304 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Here is Peter Jenkins' vivid account of his adventures in Tibet, up Mount Everest and across China--from the windswept plains of Mongolia to a forbidden fishing village south of Shanghai. And here are the incredible characters he encountered. It became a journey as much into himself as it was across a country. By the author of A Walk Across America.
Published March 12th 1988 by Fawcett Books (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Across China, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Across China

Diocletian
This book's writing style is very easy to read and informal. This is not necessarily a negative by any means, but I almost feel like this book went too far- that the writing could use a little more complexity and formality. Then again, maybe it is just me being picky and wanting a formal cultural history and not what this book actually is- a travel novel of Peter Jenkins' personal experiences and observations. Although his observations can seem overly enthusiastic about America and quite negati ...more
Jb
The year is 1984. China is emerging from years of oppressive Mao decrees. Hardly anyone owns an automobile. Landscape colorless and drab. Populace mostly circumspect because, who knows, Maoists may return. Foreigners still "guided." It's a story about Tibetans and yaks. Mt. Chomolungma (Everest) climbers. Mongols and a kang. Delicious foods (don't ask about ingredients). Windswept plains. Author is well-known for his "walking" trip books and I expected this to be one. Though it's not it's still ...more
Claudia
Another travel book from an author I have loved since "A Walk Across America" and "A Walk Out West". (last weekend I read his Alaska book).

Peter had the opportunity to accompany a group attempting to scale Mt. Everest (Chomolungma-it's real name) in 1984. They visit Tibet and after a hair raising drive to the north face, he leaves the climbing group and travels to Inner Mongolia, Beijing, and a remote (and forbidden) fishing village on China's southern coast. He exits China via Hong Kong and go
Wendy
Although this book was written in the 80s, it was interesting to hear about the author's experiences in China. He starts his adventure in Tibet with a team trying to climb Everest, but he manages to visit several other parts of China, including Mongolia and a fishing village before returning home. I enjoyed reading about life in the rural parts of China, though I realize that they probably are not quite so remote now as they were then. It was also interesting to read about how someone the author ...more
Mary
If you need an armchair adventure trip, this is a good one to read. Jenkin's portrays a good view of what it's like traveling through China in the 80s. The bonus I found with this book was the beginning of 1984 Everest ascent with Lou Whittaker and Phil Erschler. I've read several books from the climber's point of view; it was refreshing to see it through a different set of eyes. Especially one more focused on the journey and culture, rather than the climb. He gives a very realistic view of what ...more
Dee Renee  Chesnut
May 08, 2010 Dee Renee Chesnut rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: armchair travelers
Shelves: 2010
Armchair traveling at its best: I could imagine riding in a truck driven by Parnelli Yak on a mountainous Tibetan road; I could imagine listening to the stories told to introductions of the members of the climbing team; I could imagine the relief of finding my interpreter-guide Ran Ying; I could imagine the frustration of being directed to what was allowed to be seen; and, I can imagine pleasure of the unique experiences Jenkins had when he met the people of Mongolia and China. And I did not hav ...more
Dark Star
Great travel write with many wonderful black and white photos and rich with the stories of the peoples who lived there. Fascinating read.
Jael
I enjoyed the "Walk Across America" so much that I was sure I'd enjoy this book as well. It dragged a bit in the early chapters - I think there could have been less "how-do-I-tell-Barbara" and more jumping right into it. Once the travelogue started I was hooked. I know so little about China/Tibet and it was really, really fascinating to me.

Of course, I cringed in annoyance when he asked some of the Tibetan folks how they had their babies with no hospitals close by. Um. Yeah. Seriously, dude? But
David Ward
Across China by Peter Jenkins (William Morrow 1986) (915.1). Peter Jenkins came to fame when he wrote Walk Across America. He was 22 years old and a new college graduate with no firm plans, so he started walking. Along the way he found religion, a wife, and fame. Then he got divorced and found that fame was fleeting. So what did he do? He started walking. Across China. And wrote another book. My rating: 6/10, finished 1988.
Michael Harris
After enjoying the earlier "walking" books, I picked this up and found it also well written and very enjoyable. Starting with a Mount Everest expedition from the Tibet side. He tells wonderful stories of the local people and then with an interpreter he leaves the expedition at base camp and journeys through many "uncharted" places in China. This adds another dimension to my reading books about China.
Sara
Call me spoiled, but I just really couldn't get into this one as much as Walk Across America 1 and 2 and the Alaska. It wasn't really him though, the Tibet half was good. It was when he was in China that there were so many restrictions and sketchiness with the people trying to not get caught by the government that he really couldn't meet their true personalities.
Kathryn
A great travelogue that first get my interested in cultures across the globe; specifically the peoples of the Himalayan mountains. A great book for Everest climbing lovers. Jenkin's goes on part of his journey with climbers in order to gain access to certain areas. Exhilarating !
Read1000books
Very interesting information about how regular Chinese people live (i.e. not the often viewed communist soldier types). On a personal note about the author, he leaves on this journey just before his wife is going to give birth. Small wonder they later divorced.
Margaret
I loved this book. I thought it was going to be more about the climb of Everest but instead it was a wonderful view of China in the late 70s early 80s. A lot of things I never really knew about both Tibet and China and their relationship.
Cheri Portman
I enjoyed reading about China, felt it was worth the read for that, but I found his writing style to be a bit... irritating.

So I read it, learned from it, but wasn't all that impressed. Certainly not seeking out another.
Kristy
Wow, what an interesting book. A majority of it follows a team as they climb Mt Everest. Then Peter goes off and around other parts of China. Thankfully the book concludes with a summary of the Mt Everest climber experience.
Cindy
Oct 16, 2008 Cindy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who want to learn of different cultures
This is a third book by Peter Jenkins. I did not find this book quite as interesting as his first two books. This time he tells of going to China and his experiences there.
Rick
A let down after his 'America' books. I felt he should've concentrated on the walk without getting into the climb and felt disappointed that the walk only covered part of China.
Rickard
So-so engaging book about a half attempt at Everest (he didn't stay till the end) and then a half attempt in discovering China.
Margaret
I would like to read this book again. I think the first time I read it, I was comparing it to his first two books.
Jeffrey Ray
Very interesting. I think I read it in about 3 days. It is longer, but I couldn't quit reading it.
Carlie
Dragged on and on but it was interesting to read his perspective on Communist China.
Bette
I loved Jenkins descriptions of the Chinese people and land.
Jessica
Some people are adventurous and make opportunities.
Dan Smith
A wonderful story by an adventurous sole.
Hank
Hank added it
Mar 13, 2015
Don M
Don M added it
Mar 12, 2015
  • Night Train to Turkistan: Modern Adventures Along China's Ancient Silk Road
  • Behind the Wall: A Journey Through China
  • Danziger's Travels: Beyond Forbidden Frontiers (Paladin Books)
  • From Heaven Lake: Travels Through Sinkiang and Tibet
  • Chinese Lessons: Five Classmates and the Story of the New China
  • Around the Bloc: My Life in Moscow, Beijing, and Havana
  • Spanish Fly
  • Coming Home Crazy: An Alphabet of China Essays
  • North of South: An African Journey
  • The River at the Center of the World: A Journey Up the Yangtze & Back in Chinese Time
  • Charles Kuralt's America
  • Stranger in the Forest: On Foot Across Borneo
  • China (Lonely Planet Guide)
  • Cruelest Journey: Six Hundred Miles To Timbuktu
  • Tales of the North
  • Trixie Belden Boxed Set #1-#3
  • A Woman Alone: Travel Tales from Around the Globe
  • To Timbuktu: A Journey Down the Niger
Born July 8th, 1951 in Greenwich, Connecticut,

Peter is the eldest of the six children of Frederick and Mary Jenkins.

Graduated from Greenwich High School in 1969.

Attended Woodstock in summer of 1969.

Graduated from Alfred University in 1973 with a BFA, majoring in Sculptor/ Ceramics.
Began his Walk Across America on October 15, 1973 in Alfred, New York. It ended in mid-January of 1979 in Florence, Or
More about Peter Jenkins...
A Walk Across America The Walk West: A Walk Across America 2 Looking for Alaska Along the Edge of America The Road Unseen