Start by marking “My Fair Captain (Sci-Regency #1)” as Want to Read:
My Fair Captain (Sci-Regency #1)

My Fair Captain (Sci-Regency #1)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  3,479 ratings  ·  317 reviews
Talk about a compromising situation!
A storm of political intrigue, murderous mayhem and sexual hungers is brewing on planet Regelence.

Swarthy Intergalactic Navy Captain Nathaniel Hawkins ran from a past he had no intention of ever reliving. But when his Admiral asks him to use his peerage, as an earl and the heir to a dukedom, to investigate a missing weapons stash, he’s f
Published April 1st 2008 by Samhain Publishing (first published June 2007)

To ask other readers questions about My Fair Captain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Fair Captain

Cut & Run by Abigail RouxZero at the Bone by Jane SevilleFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsPromises by Marie SextonFish & Chips by Abigail Roux
The Best of Gay Romance
20th out of 2,248 books — 2,308 voters
Cut & Run by Abigail RouxZero at the Bone by Jane SevilleHot Head by Damon SuedeFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsPromises by Marie Sexton
Favorite Gay Couples
32nd out of 1,805 books — 2,294 voters

More lists with this book...

LenaLena
The high ratings for this book puzzle me. What we have here is one boy raised as a 70s Regency romance heroine, young, innocent, and a blushing virgin bride, fawning over the big burly (hairy) older alpha male. They meet and marry within a week, professing their undying love to each other. This is a bodice ripper with cravats instead of bodices. Bodice rippers are boring in het romance and guess what, they are boring in gay romance too. What is even the point if you're just changing pronouns?

The
Jack
Dec 03, 2013 Jack rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Gay Romance Readers
Recommended to Jack by: Matimate and Daisiemae
This book is one of the reasons why I am so glad I joined Goodreads! I was tired of reading mediocre gay romances, but thanks to the friends I have here online, I tried out this wonderful book. I want to thank everyone who recommended it to me!

What is there to say that hasn't been said about this book so far? Not much actually. So many of you have written wonderful reviews on it, so I would just be repeating everything you have stated before me. One thing that I loved about this book, was the c
julio

So. Um.

I really need this to be an incisive black satire.

I'm not sure that it is.

Because if one reads this straightforwardly, one must needs feel compelled to set about immediately dismantling the hegemonic patriarchy of Western civilization.

Everything except the heated lube dispensers in the headboard; those may stay.
Daisiemae
Nov 10, 2008 Daisiemae rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: M/M Romantic/Erotic fans...Fans of J.L.Langley
Recommended to Daisiemae by: Love the Author
When it comes to writing hot romantic, erotic romances J.L. Langley certainly knows what she is doing. She definately writes great chemistry between the Hero/Hero and her books usually get me hooked from page one. My Fair Captain was no exception.
Aiden Townsend is one of the few princes of Regelence. A planet where the customs and dress is much like the the Ton in England in the 1800's. In Regelence men are cherished and homosexuality between men are not only normal, but embraced.
Aiden does not
Wart Hill
Cross posted to My Blog

'Tangled' is on ABC Family so I'm watching that while I write this review. Because I need something happy to distract me when I start to get extra ranty. Because this review? It's gonna be really freaking ranty.

I wanted to give this book two stars for two reasons: Jeremy and Rexley. Rexley doesn't get to do anything until like...the second to last chapter, but his interaction with Jeremy is beautiful and I love them and I want a book about them because it's bound to be bet
Bookwatcher
HELP! I'm really confused!

Ok, first a critic, then I talk about the book...

The main characters of this book are:
Duke Nathaniel Hawkins also called Hawk or Nate (yeah, 2 nicknames)
Aiden
Jeremy also called Trouble
King Steven
King Consort Raleigh also called Cony
Rexley or Lord Responsible
Payton or Lord Plague
Tarren or Lord Terror
Colton or Lord Calamity
Muffin (the sweet little girl adopted by the King family, that her nickname, the name is never spoken)

Do you get the problem of this book? Names and
Ravyn
I was expecting My Fair Captain to be a pretty average example of your typical scifi-themed m/m romp - something light and silly to pass the time. (Read: ridiculous plot with lots of sex.) Under the right circumstances, with the right mood, this kind of book definitely can be enjoyable. Unfortunately, this novel didn't even live up my somewhat lackluster expectations.

I have enjoyed J.L. Langley's work in the past, and obviously many people have enjoyed this novel as well. So what was my problem
Ingela
Written December 15, 2013

3 1/2 Stars - quite okay, but no big shot - sweet and entertaining in any case

In the beginning, perhaps at least one third into the story, I felt most confused and hesitant. But then it evolved into a rather pleasant and romantic story. It was both quite exciting and interesting and my interest was piqued for the characters and the surrounding story.

My Fair Captain is a maze of genres and styles. It is both Regency Historical, a Sci-fi (on another planet), a Fantacy and
DarienMoya
^^MY CAPTAIN'S GOT A RING, AND ITS NOT ON HIS FINGER!^^

For all that is sweet and holy, this book is sweet and holy. I guess not the best book to be described as holy but feck it. While I was reading, I kept saying “awwwww” in that angelic sort of way. I think the idea of this book was brilliant, mixing the old with the new, creates gold. I am a fan of J.L and though this book is very different from the With or Without series, the writing is still excellent and downright sinful.

This book is mix
Ana_P
DNF @ 65% due to me losing any and all interest.

Before I had to ultimately throw in the towel, this book left me stuffed with cheese...
drowning in OTT drama...
description
and scratching my head from all the WTF-ness.
description

This book takes place 2,000+ years into the future on a planet by the name of Regelence, which as can be seen from the title, chose the Regency period of Earth, of all the possible periods, to emulate. The reason that I found this so utterly annoying is because these people who were ultra-from-t
~~D✡ni ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~~

Regency in outer space in the far future, you all!

The political intrigue and mystery were so convoluted, my brain malfunctioned, but the romance between Nate, a military captain, and Aiden, one of five royal princes, was scorching hot.

I'm not going to get into the troubling patriarchal aspects of aristocratic life on Aiden's plant (where are all the women?) or the lack of vivid detail about day-to-day life. This is a FANTASY after all, and it worked well as such.

There may have been to
DaisyGirl
1.5 Stars

I always try to start with something positive, so here goes. I liked Rexley and Jeremy. They were promising and I hope they get their own book eventually. I also liked Muffin and wished there was more of her; however, I worried because she's female but ... more on that below.

Okay, so here's what pissed me off about this book:
1. Regelence was one fucked up, misogynistic planet:
"Did I forget to mention that Regelence is a very patriarchal society? So much so, in fact, that the aristocrac
Camilla
TheFountainPenDiva
Author J.L. Langley is to be commended for attempting to blend several disparate elements--the Regency period set in the distant reaches of space, historical science-fiction, spy versus spy, male/male romance and no-holds-barred erotica--into one rip-roaring novel of adventure and unlikely love. It's a brilliant concept. Both Englor and Regelence were deftly woven and richly imagined. The author skillfully blended the vagaries of Regelence culture into the narrative and into the character's dial ...more
Macky ~ Sinfully Sexy Book Reviews
I have a great fondness for this book in so much as it was the one of the first books that made me want to take the plunge into m/m romance. At the time I was really into regency romances and this came to my notice but because it was gay romance I kept on dithering ... should I,shouldn't I because OMG what would people think - its GAY literature, not only that its EROTIC gay lit, I'm a straight female so shouldn't I stay in my comfort zone... yada yada etc etc. Then one day I said to myself " wh ...more
Deeze
I have noticed a trend in that the books I put off longest seem to be the ones I enjoy most. This was certainly no exception. I've had this so long but for some reason I kept putting it back in the pile, and now I'm kicking myself.

I loved this story.

The Romance was wonderful. Aiden and Nate won me over immediately. Watching them dance around each other while falling in love was delightful.

Trouble is brilliant and I really can't wait for him to grow a little more so I can read his story.

Steven
Beck
Aug 09, 2014 Beck rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Beck by: Paisley
Shelves: mm, series, sugar-kink, sci-fi
I just read this one again (3rd time) today & I think it is my favorite from the series ... I want a Prince Albert to play with *pout* ... "Honey? How much do you love me?..."

Original Review...

I have had this book in my 'probably-not' pile for ages & I don't know why. I read sci-fi all the time. I read erotica/romance all the time too. Why was I so resistant to a combination of the two? Who knows. Having now read this I think I am hooked. It was fan-frickin'-tastic. The concept of the wo
Jenn
Maybe I'll give a more detailed review later, but my rating goes on obviously my personal dislikes. I don't like insta love. Yes, yes, I have given some books high ratings with insta love but for whatever reason I must have really loved those characters. Obviously, this not so much.

Secondly, the sir/boy aspect of this book was just not sexy to me at all. I've seen it used in some books and found it hot, but this just felt icky and cheesy.

Thirdly, jesus christ!!! How many names did each character
Audra
May 31, 2009 Audra rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: glbt
The author claims to have published ten books. But either she has no editor or she doesn't listen to her editor, because she doesn't understand the basic rules of comma usage and, even worse, she can't tell the difference between "might" and "may." And, as a long-time devotee of the Regency historical period, I think I'm qualified to say she shows little to no understanding of its basic tenets, let alone the flourishes one comes to expect from writers who have done more than Wiki-research.

And wh
Kaje Harper

This book is a fun, light romp that is very similar in tone to standard regency romance, with an added hit of hot sex and a little very mild BDSM. The experienced man of the world meets up with the beautiful, virginal and spirited young man, and fun, romance and adventure ensue, ending in a HEA.

I thoroughly enjoyed this, and immediately bought the sequel. It's not a deep, heart-felt story that will stay with me, but it is warm, entertaining, with hot sex, and a nice fast read. I had a few issue
Marc
Love the Sci-Regency books. They a short, sexy and fun and the idea of a planet where m/m couplings are the norm and can have kids through technological advancements is very intriguing. Especially since this technology has side effects leading to conspiracies and mayhem. The first book, My Fair Captain, is about a military space captain, who falls in love with the artist son of the planet's king and his husband. There is a lot of heart, great side characters who get their own books and humor. Th ...more
Heather
Nov 14, 2008 Heather rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Heather by: Daisiemae
Shelves: e-book, erotica, m-erotica
Wow! This book was very different from other m/m romance books I've read. First, It was set in the future (think the year was 4528 or something) but the customs and behaviors were set in the Regency era (like 1800's). Second, the planet they were on is a very masculine society so, most relationships are m/m.

Nate is the Captain of an amazing ship called the Lady Anna. He and his son Jeremy, lovingly nicknamed "Trouble" have to go to this planet and blend in with society to try and uncover a thef
MK (Food actvist)
Dec 05, 2008 MK (Food actvist) rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: m/m romantic fans
Recommended to MK (Food actvist) by: Heather Shea
(Real rating 4.5)I liked seeing the relationship between Nate and Aiden. From instant arousing attraction, curiousity, resisting temptaion and the final consummation. The subplot of Nate trying to find out who stole the weapons gave Nate a legitimate reason to have Aiden with him uncompromised, sometimes =). It was even a good story to follow. Who is doing this and why.

The rengency male dominanted society J L Langley created is really fasinating and fun to read.Just the idea of a young lord bein
Lily
This was a fabulous book full of adventure and mystery with a super sexy Alpha male and a beautiful younger man that literally burn the pages when they get together. It was fast-paced and full of action, sexy and downright hot as well as tender and emotional.

I really enjoyed this book. Once again Ms Langley has written a great book in a new series that is sure to appeal to many readers.
Natsroshan
Everything has been said about this book, there is nothing more too add: a wonderfull story, beautiful characters. I liked both Aidan and Nate.
But my favorite character was (and will always be) Trouble!!
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
I loved the story and characters but I was uncomfortable with most of their sexual relationship, I am pretty vanilla I guess
KatieMc
Rissa (an M/M kinda Girl!!)
This book really surprised me since I am not a fan of sci-fi.

I think this book needs to start with a who's who & who belongs where & with whom....I wanted to give up in the beginning. After finally getting into the story (between 15-20%) I found it really engrossing & didn't seem overly sci-fi'ish to me. Aiden & Nate were great together, not sure if I liked the 'boy' stuff but it didn't turn me off either...cuz the sex was HOTT! I have to say that Trouble had me laughing & ri
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
I cannot believe I waited this long to read such a fabulous book! From the characters to the setting to the emotional investment the reader has with all of it this one is great fun! I thought Nate and Aiden fit together perfectly and I just melted every time Nate said "boy" because I loved how he said it. The sex was hot, there's mild BDSM that is very well done and doesn't come off as anything other than a way to please both of the men, and super interesting secondary characters. I cannot wait ...more
L.B. Gregg
It really should have five stars...because this is such a creative combination of old school regency and hot sf m/m. I just love these characters, particularly Nate. Mmmmm.

Langley has a wonderful series here. Just terrific.
Implications of Sex and Gender: in other words, this book hates women 10 58 Sep 07, 2014 09:45AM
  • An Uncommon Whore (An Uncommon Whore #1)
  • Gravitational Attraction
  • Blind Space
  • A Solid Core of Alpha
  • Outcast Mine
  • Duck! (Avian Shifters, #1)
  • Acquainted with the Night
  • Broken Boundaries
  • Claimings, Tails, and Other Alien Artifacts (Claimings, #1)
  • Bound to Him (Bound, #2)
  • Details of the Hunt (Details, #1)
  • Bound and Determined
  • 18% Gray (Task Force Iota, #1)
  • Dark Space (Dark Space, #1)
  • Domination (Deviations, #2)
  • Nowhere Ranch
  • Sacred Fate (Chronicles of Ylandre #1)
  • The Elegant Corpse
1202850
JL has been talking since she was about seven months old. To those who know her it comes as no surprise, in fact, most will tell you she hasn’t shut up since. At eighteen months, she was speaking in full sentences. Imagine if you will the surprise of her admirers when they complimented her mother on “what a cute little boy” she had and received a fierce glare from said little boy and a very loud c ...more
More about J.L. Langley...
The Tin Star (Ranch Series, #1) Without Reservations (With or Without #1) With Caution (With or Without, #2) With Love (With or Without, #0.5) The Broken H (Ranch Series, #2)