Start by marking “Uniquely Felt” as Want to Read:
Uniquely Felt

Uniquely Felt

Bright, welcoming, and suitable for all skill levels, this comprehensive guide includes a complete primer on feltmaking techniques, step-by-step instructions for 46 marvelous projects, and inspiring profiles of professional feltmakers. Learn how to transform loose piles of wool fibers into a durable, nonwoven fabric that can be shaped into stylish bags, hats, pillow covers ...more
Published November 14th 2007 by Storey Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Uniquely Felt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uniquely Felt

Kelly H. (Maybedog)
Usually books that try to do to much fail drastically but I have to say this is the exception. Part encyclopedia, part how-to, part art book, part resource list, part project book, this book has everything you ever wanted to know about how to create felt from scratch. (This is not a book in the technique knitters call felting which is really called "fulling.")

I enjoyed the book so much I found myself reading everything, not just skimming through projects. If I had money to start a new hobby righ
Alison Lilly
Dec 30, 2014 Alison Lilly rated it it was amazing
An amazing resource on felting and all its possibilities, starting with some of the simplest projects (such as cording and prefelts) and working up to much more challenging ones (including hats, rugs and large seamless garments). Each project includes detailed instructions and tons of useful tips, with a focus on learning how to "listen" to the wool every step of the way and adjust your technique to reflect your unique relationship with the fibers. I'm both inspired and, yeah, a little bit intim ...more
Marian
Nov 22, 2008 Marian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arts
The amount of information in this beautiful,comprehensive anddetailed book could easily make three craft books. It starts from the most basic beginner concepts with descriptions of many tools and techniques and heads off afterward into the most inventive couture fashions! Amazing book, I am totally scared now of even starting, Way whelmed as my family says (that's beyond overwhelmed!) However, I highly recommend to all my artsy and craftsy friends!
Cindy
Apr 07, 2013 Cindy rated it really liked it
Shelves: library, arty-crafty
This book was full of info to get even the biggest novice felting like a pro! I love that it started out with cording as that was one of the primary things I want to do. The projects continue to grow with skill level, so more experienced felting crafters will still find ways to grow their art with this book. Of all the felt books I've gotten from the library so far, this is the only one I will search the used book stores for!
Sheila
Sep 04, 2011 Sheila rated it really liked it
A great reference for felting with unspun fiber. Doesn't cover felting knitted objects, which is what I do. Still has some good info on what fibers felt and some nice pattern ideas, particularly hat shapes, that could be adapted to knitted felt projects. Made me want to try felting from unspun fiber. Hmmm... may have to buy some fiber at OFFF later this month and give it a try.
Anne
Sep 09, 2015 Anne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting
Lots of great research: sheep breeds, many techniques, even Bronze Age felt. I gave it 5 stars mainly for the charts on the different sheep breeds: characteristics of the wool, what kind of yarn & felt it makes, the best way to use it, etc.
Sara
Nov 26, 2012 Sara rated it really liked it
Extremely good how-to guide. I found almost every design in this book rather horrible and inexcusably hippie-ish, but the explanations of how to felt in different techniques are amazingly well detailed and documented with graphics and instructions to every single step.
Nancy Ross
May 09, 2016 Nancy Ross rated it liked it
Very serviceable how-to book with great explanation of felting, fulling, and all the varieties of the two. I was even tempted to try some of the projects, though I'll just get instructions on the internet rather than having to own another craft book.
Anna Nesterovich
Aug 25, 2015 Anna Nesterovich rated it liked it
Shelves: housekeeping
A good resource on felting and all its possibilities, with good explanations, but without much understanding about useful applications of these techniques.
Karmologyclinic
May 31, 2010 Karmologyclinic rated it liked it
Shelves: crafts
The book is great on techniques but gets no point for inspiration.
Shannongeorgina
Aug 06, 2009 Shannongeorgina rated it it was amazing
Good overview of lots of felting techniques, with a fiber art perspective.
Willow
Dec 18, 2011 Willow rated it liked it
Shelves: crafts
i was somewhat disappointed with this book. it is fairly thorough but the projects aren't overly inspiring. still, it is a good jumping off point if you are interested in learning to felt.
Deirdre
Deirdre rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2013
elizabeth a. moldenhauer
elizabeth a. moldenhauer rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2014
Kristen
Kristen rated it liked it
Feb 14, 2013
Merilee
Merilee rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2017
Carol Laizure
Carol Laizure rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2014
McBragg
McBragg rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2015
Carol Macht
Carol Macht rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2014
Hriffe
Hriffe rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2014
Britta
Britta rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2011
Kim Verdries
Kim Verdries rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2016
Vangie Deleon
Vangie Deleon rated it liked it
May 01, 2016
Jill
Jill rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2012
Alanoud
Alanoud rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2017
Courtney
Courtney rated it really liked it
May 11, 2011
Dawn
Dawn rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2015
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2017
Kimberly Simon
Kimberly Simon rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2017
Myriam Lefebvre
Myriam Lefebvre rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2013