Start by marking “Living the Resurrection: The Risen Christ in Everyday Life” as Want to Read:
Living the Resurrection: The Risen Christ in Everyday Life

Living the Resurrection: The Risen Christ in Everyday Life

Christ's friends were utterly transformed by His resurrection. Their friendship, their work, and even their meals together took on a new meaning and purpose. The same can happen to us today.

Eugene Peterson, beloved pastor, scholar, and translator of The Message, takes you back to Jesus' time so you can experience the Resurrection through the eyes of biblical witnesses. Yo
Published January 18th 2006 by NavPress Publishing Group (first published January 4th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Living the Resurrection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living the Resurrection

Mark Oppenlander
Nov 01, 2015 Mark Oppenlander rated it liked it
Shelves: theology
This short little book is based on a series of sermons from Eugene Peterson on how to keep the Resurrection central to our lives as Christians. Based on an examination of the Resurrection narratives in each of the gospels, Peterson suggests three spiritual disciplines as ways of developing a Resurrection practice: Sabbath-keeping, the Eucharist and the naming of others in community (i.e. knowing and being known).

There was nothing in this book that struck me as particularly revelatory; I have con
Herbert
Apr 17, 2014 Herbert rated it liked it
Peterson is so good at getting his readers to see the disconnect between the faith they know and the faith they live. In this little book his goal is to get readers to practice the resurrection life. We do this by cultivating a sense of wonder (chapter 1), partaking in resurrection meals (ch. 2), and hanging out with resurrection friends (ch. 3). This book is particularly provocative in its diatribe against the 21st-century commercialization of the Christian faith—especially Evangelicalism. The ...more
Amy
Feb 10, 2008 Amy rated it liked it
gordon has raved about this for a long time so i'm giving it a shot.
Jon Anderson
Short work by Peterson but chocked full of wonderful insights. Peterson is interested in Christians not limiting the Resurrection only to some future event but to knowing the power of the resurrection in the here and now. Hard hitting on the professionalization of the Christian life and the loss of a sense of wonder. At times, the ideas seem disconnected and you wish for some more (that may be what one finds in his larger work, PRACTICE RESURRECTION)but what is here is powerful, counter-cultural ...more
Jared Totten
Aug 11, 2011 Jared Totten rated it it was ok
Living the Resurrection is just three chapters long as Peterson describes how the resurrection meets us in the three sacraments of Sabbath, communion and baptism. Though this seems a simple enough of a concept, I found myself struggling to follow the ideas and themes throughout. In fact, I didn't even realize the three central ideas of Sabbath, communion and baptism until it was explicitly stated on page 94. While is a short 123 pages, I must confess it began to feel long since it is only broken ...more
Mindy Detweiler
Mar 29, 2010 Mindy Detweiler rated it really liked it
Eugene Peterson who is know for The Message paraphrase of the Bible takes on the subject of the Resurrection of Jesus and how it should effect our everyday lives.

This was a very Short book and I felt alittle rushed in spots like the author was trying to get alot of information into the book with a small amount of space. I had to reread a few passages because I really couldn't figure out where the author was trying to go to, but after I reread it I figured it out.

All that being said I felt that
Jay Winters
Mar 22, 2012 Jay Winters rated it it was ok
Book Closing:
I needed a good, quick read for a group that I read with before Easter came and I had this book sitting on my shelf. I was half right, it was a quick read. It wasn't horrible, but it couldn't really be called good either.

Eugene Peterson's book "Living the Resurrection" is about living out our Resurrected lives in three ways:

Sabbath Keeping

Communing (Sacramental and ordinary)

Living out Baptismal Identity

Each of these three topics receive treatment in their own chapters, with a short
Zack Migioia
Jun 28, 2009 Zack Migioia rated it really liked it
Excellent Book! I love Eugene Peterson's writing style and also really appreciate his heart for authenticity and for the gospel.

This book seeks to persuade the reader that the resurrection is not just a foreign concept, a theological category, or merely something that happens one day when Christ reigns. The resurrection is applied to everyday life and it causes us to live with Christ, as resurrected men and women.

Peterson addresses and handles this topic from a biblical, evangelical standpoint
Robert Terrell
Apr 03, 2014 Robert Terrell rated it really liked it
It is a quick read. It is also a very good read. Peterson does his normal work of simple to understand depth. I haven't started his other, longer work on resurrection yet so I don't know how much crossover there is. This was a great start.
Jessie Lowry
Apr 07, 2016 Jessie Lowry rated it it was ok
Not my favorite Eugene Peterson book. Felt a little headier than what he normally writes but maybe I am just in the post Easter tired slump.
Andrew
Jul 15, 2015 Andrew rated it it was amazing
What an outstanding little book!! Very practical yet still awe inspiring by walking through the resurrection accounts in scripture and what they meant to the lives of the witnesses and should still mean to us.
Jeremy
Apr 21, 2014 Jeremy rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book. Much to provoke my thoughts about living a resurrection-formed life.
Adam Shields
Short Review: This is a prior and shorter version of Peterson's Practice Resurrection. The content isn't bad, but Practice Resurrection is a much better book. I would recommend you read that instead and if you have already read Practice Resurrection, there is not really anything new or different here. Only reason to read this is if you have not read other Peterson books and you have Amazon prime and a kindle because it is one of the prime books you can borrow from Amazon.

My full review is on my
Russell Tucker
Oct 12, 2015 Russell Tucker rated it liked it
Typically Eugene Peterson. Some really insightful and helpful reflections. A slim volume worth a slow read.
Jt
Feb 19, 2016 Jt added it
Shelves: christian-living
good read
David Campton
Aug 26, 2011 David Campton rated it liked it
This reads more like 3 essays or lectures than a more developed and coherent book. In it Peterson argues for the place of sabbath keeping, table fellowship and the practice of baptism in our deepening fellowship with the risen Christ. It carries some of his characteristic profound and poetic insights that come from a pastor's heart wedded to a scholar's mind, but in some places the complexity of his reasoning runs counter to his appeal for less elitism and dependence upon spiritual experts in th ...more
Daniel Stewart
Aug 26, 2014 Daniel Stewart rated it liked it
I found this book helpful as I sought to deepen my sense of the resurrection this easter season. Peterson provides some valuable insight into how the resurrection should not only infiltrate but deeply influence our day-to-day lives (everything from work to meals). That being said, I felt as though many of the "gems" (the noteworthy points) were immersed in lengthy text and required sifting to discover. In other words, the book could probably have been even shorter and been equally effective.
Kirk
Jan 18, 2014 Kirk rated it it was ok
I've read so many other things by Peterson that were just fantastic, and there is such a famine in Christian theological literature that helps us move beyond the resurrection as an apologetic talking point. So I was really looking forward to this one, but it just fell flat. I got more out of Richard Gaffin's "Resurrection and Redemption" which was decidedly dry and scholastic in nature.
Steven Lloyd
Aug 08, 2013 Steven Lloyd rated it it was amazing
I purchased this book a couple of years ago and without realizing it, purchased a series of 3 lectures by Mr. Peterson. I later realized that the mp3 lectures make up the book "Living the Resurrection." I have listened to the mp3 version of the book 4 times to date. They contain a number of correctives in the way we should think about life. I plan to read this one again and again.
Mike Crews
Mar 20, 2013 Mike Crews rated it liked it
This book has many good large thoughts which tend to break down the more the author goes into the details. Peterson connects Jesus' resurrection with our own spiritual formation, but in my own humble opinion his exegesis of the passages can be somewhat of a stretch. This also leaves a few of his conclusions somewhat forced and a little too ambiguous for me.
Erika
Sep 10, 2016 Erika rated it liked it
I don't really feel one way or another about this book. it had well-presented information, but I didn't connect with it in any way. I felt like I was missing the point somewhere. I ended up skimming a good portion of it.
Sarah Webber
Feb 03, 2016 Sarah Webber rated it really liked it
Shelves: religious
What I liked best about this collection of sermons is the ordinariness of the Christian life is itself blessed. Spiritual growth cannot be organized or really planned but must be lived.
Adam Johns
A quick read and a new and needed way of looking at the Resurrection of Christ. It's more than a once a year celebration, it should be lived every day of the year!
Tim
Dec 08, 2012 Tim rated it really liked it
Nice little book about sharing Christian life with others.
Wayne Larson
Aug 04, 2011 Wayne Larson marked it as to-read
Shelves: ethics
Downloaded onto my Blackberry via Kindle.
Liz
May 16, 2011 Liz rated it liked it
Good book, especially for Lent.
Jasonlylescampbell
May 23, 2011 Jasonlylescampbell rated it it was ok
About Sabboth and Resurection.
K Tan
K Tan rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2016
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Katrina
Katrina marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
  • Beauty for Truth's Sake: The Re-Enchantment of Education
  • The Warfare of the Spirit: Developing Spiritual Maturity
  • Real Love for Real Life: The Art and Work of Caring
  • In Constant Prayer (The Ancient Practices)
  • Invitation to the Jesus Life: Experiments in Christlikeness
  • God Is in the Small Stuff... And It All Matters
  • Seizing Your Divine Moment: Dare to Live a Life of Adventure
  • Following Jesus: Biblical Reflections on Discipleship
  • Mere Churchianity: Finding Your Way Back to Jesus-Shaped Spirituality
  • Beauty Will Save the World: Rediscovering the Allure and Mystery of Christianity
  • Reluctant Pilgrim: A Moody, Somewhat Self-Indulgent Introvert's Search for Spiritual Community
  • Unspoken Sermons: Series I, II, III
  • Life Is Mostly Edges: A Memoir
  • Experiencing God Day-By-Day: The Devotional and Journal
Eugene H. Peterson is a pastor, scholar, author, and poet. For many years he was James M. Houston Professor of Spiritual Theology at Regent College. He also served as founding pastor of Christ Our King Presbyterian Church in Bel Air, Maryland. He has written over thirty books, including Gold Medallion Book Award winner The Message: The Bible in Contemporary Language a contemporary translation of t ...more
More about Eugene H. Peterson...

“Impersonal things that dominate our time and imagination offer extravagant promises of control and knowledge. But they also squeeze all sense of mystery and wonder and reverence out of our lives.” 1 likes
“We live most days and most of the hours of those days in a world permeated with the making and purchasing of idols.” 0 likes