Start by marking “Love and Death: The Murder of Kurt Cobain: The Music of Kurt Cobain” as Want to Read:
Love and Death: The Murder of Kurt Cobain: The Music of Kurt Cobain

Love and Death: The Murder of Kurt Cobain: The Music of Kurt Cobain

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,574 Ratings  ·  81 Reviews
A stunning and groundbreaking investigation into the death of one of the great rock icons of our times -- revealing new evidence that points to a terrible conclusion.

On Friday, April 8, 1994, a body was discovered in a room above a garage in Seattle. For the attending authorities, it was an open-and-shut case of suicide. What no one knew then, however, and which is only be
Published January 4th 2004 by Allison & Busby (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Love and Death, please sign up.

Deborah I read the first one and now I am reading this one. It is a follow up indeed. Have new discovers, new updates and some corrections about the case. if…moreI read the first one and now I am reading this one. It is a follow up indeed. Have new discovers, new updates and some corrections about the case. if you read the firs it is nice to read the second one as well.(less)

Amanda Cerreto
Aug 05, 2012 Amanda Cerreto rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have never been one for conspiracy theories, so when my boyfriend gave this to me to read I was highly doubtful. From what I knew of Cobain, he was a cocaine addicted musician from Seattle - a brilliant one, but it seemed open and shut to me.

The story is written by journalists who follow Tom Grant's story. Grant is a former cop turned PI, who was hired by Courtney Love to find her then-missing husband, Kurt.

To go into all the details of the book would take forever, but it was truly eye openein
Alison
Jul 16, 2010 Alison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Annaliese Rozos
Jan 01, 2012 Annaliese Rozos rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This -and Who Killed Kurt Cobain?- are the worst books about Kurt Cobain. They're just rehashed old conspiracy theories strung together into a "book." It really didn't compel to question my ideas; if anything, it reinforced my idea the Kurt killed himself. It's a bottom feeders paradise. Wana read a real, comprehensive, well-researched book about Kurt Cobain? Read Heavier than Heaven or, better yet, Come As You Are; The Story of Nirvana.
Heidi Paulsen
Jul 30, 2007 Heidi Paulsen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who cried the day they heard that Kurt Cobain had "committed suicide".
I loved Kurt Cobain. I can remember exactly where I was the moment I heard he had died. God, it made me so sad. And to think that someone who appeared to have it all would kill himself. Well, guess what??? He didn't!! That's right, looks like someone else (can we say bitch of a whore/wife about to be divorced) had him murdered!

This book is all about how there is absolutely no way that Kurt could have or would have killed himself. Now you might be saying to yourself; "That's bullsh*t! I saw Cour
Leah Polcar
I was never particularly into determining all the details about the murder theories surrounding Kurt Cobain. I had the general opinion, especially after seeing the documentary (such that it is) Kurt and Courtney, that Courtney Love killed him: either by having him murdered or driving the man to suicide. And in any case, who really cares? Nonetheless, curious about the last months of Cobain's life and his relationship with Courtney Love, and not trusting Heavier than Heaven, the Love "authorized" ...more
Changey Mcsubject
Jun 03, 2010 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime
Was Kurt Cobain really murdered by his psychotic hosebeast wife? We'll probably never know for sure, but this book provides some interesting theories on what might have happened. There's oodles of information to process but it's arranged very nicely to make the book an intriguing and quick read.
Jamie Barkin
Feb 09, 2013 Jamie Barkin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a huge fan of Cobain and Nirvana, I've always believed the theory projected within this book to be true. Te authors present their argument and evidence in a calculated and do so in accessible terms. I enjoyed this book so much I've bought it twice.
Aurora Dimitre
The reason for the rating is as follows: this book was incredibly engaging when reading.

It is a conspiracy theory, and everything in it should be taken with a grain of salt. But it is a good read, especially when phrases such as "grunge world Inspector Javert" and "if Stephen King wrote a book in the grunge scene" crop up. And I'm not making light of a bad thing that happened, that's not my intention at all with this review - this book was just incredibly interesting. And it makes you think.
Elise
Jan 16, 2010 Elise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read any book that I can get my hands on about Kurt Cobain. And I am indeed one of those people that are convinced he did not kill himself. This book helps prove it.
Marc Blanc
Nov 05, 2013 Marc Blanc rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At times creepier than fiction, this book reveals a handful of pretty damning quotes from Courtney Love and exposes some serious inconsistencies in her behavior surrounding her former husband's death. The previously undisclosed resources and information the authors got their hands on are also triumphs of the book, along with the detailed picture they paint of Courtney Love and Kurt Cobain's relationship. Unfortunately, a smoking gun directly linking Love to Cobain's murder is missing and the aut ...more
Stephanie Noonchester
I have watched Unsolved Mysteries The Murder of Kurt Cobain, I have watched Kurt and Courtney, and I have read various conspiracy theories on the internet. This book by far surpasses the others as far as cold hard facts. Unlike other sources that review the Cobain murder theory it looks at things from object point of view. It provides testimony and various evidence supporting both murder and suicide. I have always thought Kurt was murdered but after reading this and hearing testimonies of Courtn ...more
Puja
Sep 15, 2007 Puja rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those wanting to believe fluff
i could not put this book down when i read it, and i think it was a while ago, i was re-entering my disbelief about Kurt's death (subsequently Nirvana's which was part of the tragedy). It as entertaining but did not shed any convincing light on what happened. As a fan, it is not a must-read, i don't think. It portrays his life as a cryptic conspiracy that revolves around Courtney "the best sex in his life" (i think that was a quote from the book). Kurt's legacy is so much more than all of that - ...more
Janelle
When my friend first recomended this book I was a tad apprehensive seeing as it was conspiracy based. After reading this novel, along with texts that refuted the theory I can honestly say I am convinced.The author not only interveiwed people that supported his theory but also those who disagreed with him.He was not scared to be questioned by his adversaries, in fact he welcomed it. The evidence presented was clear and concise, not to mention extremely convincing. Whether you are completely oppo ...more
Steven
Feb 25, 2015 Steven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-noir
This is the follow-up book to the authors previous book Who Killed Kurt Cobain? and I recommend skipping that book and just reading this one because it is essentially a complete revision of the first book. In addition to some entirely new material they went back and did additional research to flesh out things they had glossed over in the first book. Tom Grant, the private investigator hired by Courtney Love, also allowed them to listen to most of the conversations he taped during the course of t ...more
Aaron Marvel
May 12, 2016 Aaron Marvel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ever since Kurt & Courtney came out, I’ve been completely intrigued by the possibility that Cobain was murdered. I recently watched the Soaked in Bleach documentary, which – for all its low budget flaws – contains some really compelling evidence. It was that documentary that led me back to read this book, even though it was ten years old. And I have to say, it may be a little dated, but there hasn’t been tons of new revelations since, so it holds up pretty well. You really have to give it to ...more
Hanaa
I borrowed this book from the library a long time ago. I was big with the whole 'Kurt Cobain was killed, it's all Courtney's fault.' Even though i'm a hardcore Courtney Love fan. Anyways, I thought it was a waste of time, I still don't like it, considering he died 13 years ago. We'll never know what happened to him. Let's leave it at that, and not point fingers.
Brian Madeleine
Apr 16, 2016 Brian Madeleine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a page turner! After reading this, I'm not sure how you can rule out the fact it might have been murder. Conspiracy theories are not facts, and this book has tons of facts. Real life scenarios that show how crooked courtney love is. She is a manipulative, lying person. So many things pointed out in the books and interviews, and so much unexplained.
The Seattle police KNOW they screwed up I believe. Unfortunately, this is another reason I think the case won't be re-opened and examined as a mu
Beth Des rosiers
What do I think? Courtney has a lot of explaining to do, that's what I think. This book only continues to fuel the conspiracy that Kurt Cobain was murdered. It also verifies what we already know: that money does the talking and when it does it gets the final word.
Joey
Jul 19, 2011 Joey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I met the author of this book at a presentation at the University of Windsor. His journalistic approach causes one to speculate as to the nature of Kurt Cobain's death. A must read for any Nirvana fans.
Andrew Johnston
Sep 21, 2015 Andrew Johnston rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music
I've wasted about 4-5 hours of my life reading this. This crazy theory is based on two things, no-one investigates the death of junkies properly, and Courtney love is a bit of a bitch.
Maha Al-balushi
if your a fan of Kurt Cobain or Nirvana then you'll enjoy this book it an investigation into the death of the formar rock star Kurt Cobain the lead singer of the band Nirvana.
Frank
Nov 12, 2011 Frank rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The truth is out there (but the people who know stuff keep dying)…a serious book with good research that raises serious questions about the Seattle Police Department and others.
Terra
Aug 21, 2011 Terra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book. I wish the real truth about what happened to Cobain would come out.
Sharon
May 28, 2010 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Poses some interesting questions.
Shonele Piersey
From the biography "Love & Death", which not only speaks about Kurt Cobain's background but also his death and abusive relationship with drugs and Courtney Love, it spoke about Kurt Cobain's impact on the music industry in his abrupt career. Kurt Cobain was believed to be the first to make an entirely new scene in the music business, and he didn't like being fit under a label. He also wasn't comfortable with controlling a distinct of people from listening to his music.

With that being said,
Patrick
Apr 14, 2008 Patrick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book, written by Max Wallace and Ian Halperin, explores the common theory that rock music icon Kurt Cobain was a victim of murder, not suicide.

It starts off with a short, yet highly insightful view at Kurt's childhood and his hometown of Aberdeen, Washington. The writers talk to several people who live in the town, many of whom were in some way connected to Cobain or his family.

Next the authors recount the adolescence of Courtney Love, Kurt's wife, and suspected murderer. They meet with
Jerry Rocha
May 22, 2016 Jerry Rocha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading it now, years after the publication, I've heard most of what is printed here, but it's put together very well and is still compelling. It ends up becoming a character study on how the need for fame or acceptance drives people. Given the evidence presented, I would say it's odd that the case hasn't ever been reopened. I would say this review contains spoilers, but the guy is already dead when the book starts.
Jean
Mar 26, 2014 Jean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Is this book another conspiracy theory? Truth is definitely stranger than fiction at times. The circumstances surrounding Kurt Cobain's death have always been fishier than a pond full of salmon. The book puts a convincing theory regarding the murder/suicide/unexplained death forward - but oh so many questions still to be answered. The truth will out - eventually. An enjoyable, although depressing book.
Is this worth buying if you've read book 1? 3 18 Nov 07, 2011 06:11PM
  • Saucerful of Secrets: The Pink Floyd Odyssey
  • 12 Days on the Road: The Sex Pistols and America
  • Stevie Ray Vaughan : Caught in the Crossfire
  • Love, Janis
Canadian writer, filmmaker and human rights activist.
More about Max Wallace...