Start by marking “Time: A Traveler's Guide” as Want to Read:
Time: A Traveler's Guide

Time: A Traveler's Guide

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  159 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
"Bucky Fuller thought big," Wired magazine recently noted, "Arthur C. Clarke thinks big, but Cliff Pickover outdoes them both." In his newest book, Cliff Pickover outdoes even himself, probing a mystery that has baffled mystics, philosophers, and scientists throughout history--What is the nature of time?
In Time: A Traveler's Guide, Pickover takes readers to the forefront o
Published September 23rd 1999 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Time

Julie Bihn
Dec 06, 2011 Julie Bihn rated it it was ok
Must every book involving time travel be sexist? Has some fascinating science and ideas but the "framing device" where "you" are a male scientist obsessed with a pretty young (female) thing got annoying real quick. Review at blog.juliebihn.com
Miles G
Jul 02, 2012 Miles G rated it really liked it
I found the book fascinating, and mostly easy to follow. It had a substantial amount of information, collected in one place for the reader. I didn't, however, care for the narrative that starts each chapter. It seems unnecessary and very odd, considering it could have just as easily been two scientists having a discussion, rather than a sex-crazed professor, a female musician, and an alien with tails!
It was still absolutely worth the read. I ended up reading it over several months, so I had tim
Ian
Oct 10, 2009 Ian rated it liked it
I really appreciate Cliff Pickover, particularly his ability to think scientifically while simultaneously exploring associations and concepts outside the mainstream. The highlights of this book about the possibilities of time travel are the theoretical & scientific parts, which enthusiastically present concise explanations and creative applications of established physics theory and cutting-edge research. Also, typical Pickoverian creativity and abstract associations abound here; one central ...more
David
I do not know Clifford Pickover. Indeed, I have never heard of him before randomly, well not entirely randomly due to the limited nature of the collection in our local library, pulled this book from the non-fiction section to fulfill my desire for some balance in my reading. This is the book Alan Lightman would have written if he had not written Einstein's Dreams as a novel. What we have here is a beautifully crafted, elegant exploration of time with a clever twist.

The reason I prefaced my revie
Mariah Patterson
Mar 14, 2015 Mariah Patterson rated it it was amazing
The best book on this topic! It is really entertaining as well as informative and it lucidly explains all of the topics mentioned.
Tim
Jan 15, 2008 Tim rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, non-fiction
This book was fun enough, but the author is certainly not going to win a Hugo or Nebula any time soon. He tries to mix in some very poorly-written, yet still fun, science-fiction (and romance?) to keep the topic light. I think this is a hedge because there is a lot of serious science here leading to the possibility of time travel in the real future (and its implications), but of course, if you seem to take that topic too seriously, you'd be written off as a quack in any serious academic circle.
Tone
Jun 08, 2009 Tone rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science, time-travel
I gotta knock this down a full start for the narrative that holds the science material together.

It's the story of a professor with two students, an alien he mistreats and a girl he lusts over. And it's written in second person so the author is trying to cast the reader as this sleazy professor.

But its a quick read and you'll get the science down pretty easy.
Verena Wachnitz
Nov 29, 2014 Verena Wachnitz rated it liked it
It's thought provoking and interesting, but the "story" the accompanies the science is a bit silly… still worth reading.
Deb White
Feb 26, 2012 Deb White rated it liked it
Recommends it for: those interested in math, or sacred math
Shelves: druidry
Complex and tuff at times, but lots of fun and stimulating. He gets me to 'thinking' about things. It was the reading of this book that got me studying and making magick squares.
Dustin
Sep 11, 2011 Dustin rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, time-travel
A fun little "practical" guide to time travel.
Nick Craig-Wood
Nick Craig-Wood rated it really liked it
May 21, 2016
Fatemeh Nosrat
Fatemeh Nosrat marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Candace M Ellison
Candace M Ellison marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Andres Villaveces
Andres Villaveces rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2016
Mojtaba
Mojtaba rated it liked it
May 06, 2016
Pietastic
Pietastic rated it liked it
May 05, 2016
Kay Berry
Kay Berry rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2016
Javier Maldonado
Javier Maldonado marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Icefyre
Icefyre rated it it was ok
Apr 10, 2016
Marissa
Marissa marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2016
Nhoj
Nhoj marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2016
Harry Alleva
Harry Alleva marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2016
Romeo
Romeo marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2016
Frank
Frank marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Scott
Scott added it
Feb 03, 2016
Shriram Gadre
Shriram Gadre marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
  • How to Build a Time Machine
  • The Future of Spacetime
  • The Hidden Face of God: Science Reveals the Ultimate Truth
  • The Search for Superstrings, Symmetry, and the Theory of Everything
  • Time Travel
  • Spacetime Physics
  • Norby Through Time and Space (Norby, #5-6)
  • Lest Darkness Fall/To Bring the Light
  • Castaways in Time (Castaways in Time, #1)
  • Astronomy: A Beginner's Guide to the Universe
  • Chronospace
  • The Best Time Travel Stories of the 20th Century
  • Timeshares
  • Ingenious Pursuits: Building the Scientific Revolution
  • The Dreaming Universe: A Mind-Expanding Journey into the Realm Where Psyche and Physics Meet
  • The Philosopher’s Stone: Alchemy and the Secret Research for Exotic Matter
  • The Fourth Dimension: A Guided Tour of the Higher Universes
  • The Mind's Sky: Human Intelligence in a Cosmic Context

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Clifford A. Pickover is an American author, editor, and columnist in the fields of science, mathematics, and science fiction, and is employed at the IBM T. J. Watson Research Center in Yorktown, New York.

He received his Ph.D. in 1982 from Yale University's Department of Molecular Biophysics and Biochemistry, where he conducted research on X-ray scattering and protein structure. Pickover graduated
More about Clifford A. Pickover...