Start by marking “Time: A Traveler's Guide” as Want to Read:
Time: A Traveler's Guide

Time: A Traveler's Guide

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  138 ratings  ·  9 reviews
"Bucky Fuller thought big," Wired magazine recently noted, "Arthur C. Clarke thinks big, but Cliff Pickover outdoes them both." In his newest book, Cliff Pickover outdoes even himself, probing a mystery that has baffled mystics, philosophers, and scientists throughout history--What is the nature of time?
In Time: A Traveler's Guide, Pickover takes readers to the forefront o
Published September 23rd 1999 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Time

Mollie G
I found the book fascinating, and mostly easy to follow. It had a substantial amount of information, collected in one place for the reader. I didn't, however, care for the narrative that starts each chapter. It seems unnecessary and very odd, considering it could have just as easily been two scientists having a discussion, rather than a sex-crazed professor, a female musician, and an alien with tails!
It was still absolutely worth the read. I ended up reading it over several months, so I had tim
Julie Bihn
Must every book involving time travel be sexist? Has some fascinating science and ideas but the "framing device" where "you" are a male scientist obsessed with a pretty young (female) thing got annoying real quick. Review at blog.juliebihn.com
Ian
I really appreciate Cliff Pickover, particularly his ability to think scientifically while simultaneously exploring associations and concepts outside the mainstream. The highlights of this book about the possibilities of time travel are the theoretical & scientific parts, which enthusiastically present concise explanations and creative applications of established physics theory and cutting-edge research. Also, typical Pickoverian creativity and abstract associations abound here; one central ...more
David
I do not know Clifford Pickover. Indeed, I have never heard of him before randomly, well not entirely randomly due to the limited nature of the collection in our local library, pulled this book from the non-fiction section to fulfill my desire for some balance in my reading. This is the book Alan Lightman would have written if he had not written Einstein's Dreams as a novel. What we have here is a beautifully crafted, elegant exploration of time with a clever twist.

The reason I prefaced my revie
Tim
This book was fun enough, but the author is certainly not going to win a Hugo or Nebula any time soon. He tries to mix in some very poorly-written, yet still fun, science-fiction (and romance?) to keep the topic light. I think this is a hedge because there is a lot of serious science here leading to the possibility of time travel in the real future (and its implications), but of course, if you seem to take that topic too seriously, you'd be written off as a quack in any serious academic circle.
Tone
I gotta knock this down a full start for the narrative that holds the science material together.

It's the story of a professor with two students, an alien he mistreats and a girl he lusts over. And it's written in second person so the author is trying to cast the reader as this sleazy professor.

But its a quick read and you'll get the science down pretty easy.
Verena Wachnitz
It's thought provoking and interesting, but the "story" the accompanies the science is a bit silly… still worth reading.
Deb White
Feb 26, 2012 Deb White rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those interested in math, or sacred math
Shelves: druidry
Complex and tuff at times, but lots of fun and stimulating. He gets me to 'thinking' about things. It was the reading of this book that got me studying and making magick squares.
Dustin
A fun little "practical" guide to time travel.
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Ann Busbey
Ann Busbey marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Rodney
Rodney marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Thomas
Thomas is currently reading it
Jan 30, 2015
James
James marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Nick Carter
Nick Carter marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Jonathan Levine
Jonathan Levine marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Sydney Machokoto
Sydney Machokoto is currently reading it
Jan 04, 2015
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Sherry
Sherry marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
SuperPanda
SuperPanda marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • How to Build a Time Machine
  • The Future of Spacetime
  • The Hidden Face of God: Science Reveals the Ultimate Truth
  • The Search for Superstrings, Symmetry, and the Theory of Everything
  • Norby Through Time and Space (Norby, #5-6)
  • Castaways in Time (Castaways in Time, #1)
  • Astronomy: A Beginner's Guide to the Universe
  • Thrice Upon a Time
  • The Best Time Travel Stories of All Time
  • The End of Time : The Next Revolution in Our Understanding of the Universe
  • End of an Era
Clifford A. Pickover is an American author, editor, and columnist in the fields of science, mathematics, and science fiction, and is employed at the IBM T. J. Watson Research Center in Yorktown, New York.

He received his Ph.D. in 1982 from Yale University's Department of Molecular Biophysics and Biochemistry, where he conducted research on X-ray scattering and protein structure. Pickover graduated
More about Clifford A. Pickover...
The Math Book: From Pythagoras to the 57th Dimension, 250 Milestones in the History of Mathematics Sex, Drugs, Einstein, & Elves: Sushi, Psychedelics, Parallel Universes, and the Quest for Transcendence The Physics Book: From the Big Bang to Quantum Resurrection, 250 Milestones in the History of Physics Strange Brains and Genius: The Secret Lives Of Eccentric Scientists And Madmen Archimedes to Hawking: Laws of Science and the Great Minds Behind Them