Start by marking “Topper Takes a Trip” as Want to Read:
Topper Takes a Trip
Read Book* *Different edition

Topper Takes a Trip (Topper #2)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  179 ratings  ·  16 reviews
The beloved characters--mortal and immortal--of Topper return in this uproarious romp through the south of France. One of Thorne Smith's best-loved comedies, it proves once again that he is the undisputed master of urbane wit and sophisticated repartee.
Cosmo Topper, the mild-mannered bank manager who was persuaded to take a walk on the wild side by the ghosts of George and
Published July 1st 2000 by Amereon House (first published 1932)

To ask other readers questions about Topper Takes a Trip, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Topper Takes a Trip

May 27, 2008 Kimley rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kimley by: Tosh
Oh, Topper, how I do love you!

The second Topper book by Thorne Smith, although not quite as good as the first, is still a biting confection of wit and well worth the read if you enjoyed the first. While the first book takes dear old Topper, our mild-mannered, suburban-dwelling, bank executive and spins him on an adventure with some free-wheeling ghosts that causes him much reflection on his life, this second book has Topper, now a retired bank executive, galavanting in the south of France with t
Xenophon Hendrix
This is the sequel to Topper. It lacks much of the compassion of its predecessor, and it's darker while at the same time being sillier. Still, it's pretty funny.
Quite funny, but not Thorne Smith's best work. Topper is once again pursued by ghosts who turn his life upside down, this is an extract which sets gives you some idea of the tone of the book:

'Entrez!' called Mr Topper.
The manager stepped into the room, quietly closing the door behind him.
'Good morning, m'sieu,' said the manager. 'Were you, by any chance, forced to eject a naked woman through that window a few moments ago?'
'Certainly not,' replied Mr Topper indignantly. 'I wouldn't throw a naked
Rob Slaven
From my younger days as a much older person in a younger person’s body I had some familiarity with the old Topper movies though if the reading of this book is any judge of such things my concept of what the movies were actually ABOUT might be more than a tad askew of reality.

Cosmo Topper is an average American bank executive on holiday in the French Riveria. He’s utterly normal in his generally loose moral fibre and unexceptional in most ways that are worth noting except that he happens to be pl
"A vast expanse of cool ocean as blue and virginal seeming as the garments adorning the figure then inspecting it from the balcon> of a discouragingly pale stucco villa set in a garden fairly bristling with grass of a repellent toughness -- grass so hostilely tough that only a rhinoceros could sit on it with any showing of dignity and aplomb. Unfortunately, as rhinoceroses are rarely if ever encountered in these drab days sitting on Riviera grass in Riviera gardens, this observation must of n ...more
I think if I had been a a different mood when I read Topper Takes a Trip, I might have found it more amusing. Instead Topper's ghostly friends grew to be tiresome. I continued reading with the misplaced hope that the laughs would soon issue forth, but they never quite made it for me.
Britain has Wodehouse; America has Thorne Smith. He is a national treasure who should be more widely read. Unfortunately, he is out of print in this country. However, you can still find his books at "Topper Takes a Trip" is the follow-up to Topper. Topper is a banker who develops a following of hard-partying ghosts. In this book he goes to the South of France. My favorite wordplay is the drunken slurring of "Goddarme Gendamns" (French cops). Hilarity ensues everywhere. This is not ...more
Jonathan Palfrey
This is the second outing of Cosmo Topper and his ghostly friends, and time has gone by, the author is six years older and even more world-weary. Although this time the action is set in France, which gives him a chance to have a go at the French as well as the Americans.

I originally preferred this second book, but now I find the first rather charming—childish in a nice way. The second book has its moments, but it displays a more adolescent sense of humour with a touch of malice, which may not ap
Another prime example of Thorne Smith's sophisticated skewering of the early 20th century bourgeois...

"Madame is your wife?" exclaimed Monsieur in a mixture of surprise and disappointment.

"But yes," replied Mr Topper. "Is it that you believed her my mistress?"

Monsieur Grandon shrugged temporizingly.

"It is of an occurrence unique." He Observed. "One expects more of an American when he visits our Riviera."

The sequal to 'Topper.' Thorne Smith is one of America's most underrated writer. You want screwball energy and wit? This is it! Depression era writing at it's most great.
The mirthful Mediterranean holiday of a haunted man.
A true American classic - Thorne Smith is delightful!
Eva Sterner
Not as fun and fresh as Topper, but a joy nonetheless.
Have loved Topper since I was a teenager!
from Library Thing list
There was a style of comedy at the time that I don't think any writer would be allowed to be verbose enough to get away with today.
Maxpeter95 marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2015
Judio marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2015
9intheafternoon marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2015
Janice marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
Adrienne Humber
Adrienne Humber marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
Susan Duncan
Susan Duncan marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2015
Molly Dumars
Molly Dumars marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Sandi marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
  • Mister Johnson
  • Slouching Towards Kalamazoo
  • Whisky Galore
  • The Polyglots
James Thorne Smith, Jr. was an American writer of humorous supernatural fantasy fiction under the byline Thorne Smith. He is best known today for the two Topper novels, comic fantasy fiction involving sex, much drinking and supernatural transformations. With racy illustrations, these sold millions of copies in the 1930s and were equally popular in paperbacks of the 1950s.

Smith was born in Annapoli
More about Thorne Smith...

Topper (2 books)