Start by marking “Feather in the Storm: A Childhood Lost in Chaos” as Want to Read:
Feather in the Storm: A Childhood Lost in Chaos

Feather in the Storm: A Childhood Lost in Chaos

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  243 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Emily Wu’s account of her childhood under Mao opens on her third birthday, as she meets her father for the first time in a concentration camp. A well-known academic, her father had been designated an “ultra-rightist” and class enemy. As a result, Wu’s family would be torn apart and subjected to unending humiliation and abuse. Wu recounts this hidden holocaust in which mill ...more
Published January 8th 2008 by Anchor (first published October 3rd 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Feather in the Storm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Feather in the Storm

Jill
One of those books that make me never, ever want to bitch about anything ever again.
Carrie
Non-Fiction - Kind-of depressing book about a girl in China during the cultural revolution. I felt like it was missing an 'afterward' because the book ends while the author is still in China, but you know she currently resides in CA. I would have liked to have known how to got to America and if her life changed or improved after the Cultural Revolution.
Janna
The true story of a young girl growing up in China during the Cultural Revolution. Although some may find this book too sad or disturbing, I found it very compelling and difficult to put down. This is fairly recent history, paralleling my own growing-up years, so it was quite poignant as I considered my own privileged childhood as I read it.
Xiaojuanwu
For us,is hard to believe back then how people survive from a chaos in the country. Emily Wu describes her life under Mao governing, her family and her face so much situation that we can barely imaging. Her family is total torn apart because of Mao's Cultural Revolution. Her father was criticized by society because he had sort of relationship with foreign country and became a class enemy in China. Emily Wu not just had to help herself to survive, but also her siblings. During Cultural Revolution ...more
Erika Majerová
Before I finished this book, I had no real idea what was going in China, decades ago. It's still alarming what's happening there now, but what was happening in the past as well.
I really admire the people, who survived such a hard times and I feel with the author. I love how the book is written. Truthful, shocking, clutching your heart.. I admire there was still a place for jokes, however sarcastic they were. Books like this should be mandatory to read.
Rebekka Steg
Emily Wu delivers a spellbinding, captivating, but also a very scary story in "Feather in the Storm". Scary and haunting, because it is a true story. We see the world Emily Wu grows up in, through the eyes of herself as a child. "Feather in the Storm" is written through a child's perspective, and therefore also through a child's innocence and very down to earth way of seeing and comprehending the events taking place. It shows the cruelty and horrors taking place during the Culture Revolution and ...more
Daryl Ngo
An absorbing story of Emily's experience. The extremities of evil, corruptions and hardships in China which their people had to endure decades back. It may as well be a glimpse on why many Chinese had to flee to neighboring countries -they were escaping for survival. And here are some of us now, living a privileged life of a 3rd generation immigrant.
Meredith Patterson
Such a powerful story about one girl's hardships and life while growing up in China under Mao. Emily Wu had more courage and strength than most.
Lori
"even when we are a thousand miles apart, we will enjoy the same moon together" Wu
excellent book on the Chinese Revolution. 1965-1978
Vicki
I have read other books in the Cultural Revolution before. Even though I get the concept that Chairman Mao had, technically, saved China in a way, I can't get over that fact his was worshiped like a god even though he allowed for such horrible things. In those other books I read, I just couldn't see how they could talk about the negative stuff they are seeing, yet still worship and love Chairman Mao.

I love how this story is real and that she wasn't as devoted to Mao. She was smart and loved her
Ange
Hard to rate when the topic is just plain not an easy one to read about. This book gave me nightmares though. I dislike how graphic her bad experiences were. The author grew up in China during the Cultural Revolution and though I appreciate her unique perspective (she was young and she experienced both the city life and the country life), and I appreciate that reading about difficult subjects expands my understanding of the world and various cultures, I am not sure I would recommend this book to ...more
Aime
Dec 08, 2012 Aime rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who want to experience new things in their reading.
Recommended to Aime by: Uncle G
WOW!
This book had me crying through out the reading and left me speechless at the end!
To really imagine this being someones child hood memoir is insane, compared to the 90's child hood this is devastating but again we're pretty safe, and sadly where she lived wasn't. Her living situations, her friends she'd lost and mainly just the events and things she saw at a young age made my jaw drop! i feel like it takes a very strong person to share their story; but the way she shared her story really ma
David Hanley
Read this book, share it with friends, family children. It is a story which simply must be heard.......
Pam Rasmussen
In the tradition of "First They Shot My Father" (the memoir of a girl growing up in the Khmer Rouge's Cambodia), this beautiful first-person story tells a tale that is at once both deeply sad and inspiring. What this woman withstood -- and more than that, overcame -- during the years of Chairman Mao in China is unbelievable, and yet it's true. Which gives hope to all of us.
Lisa Hartmann Jensen
This is a biography. Sometimes when you are reading the book, you think, this must be fiction noone can live like this but they really did in Mao's China. I know a lot about China but the cultural relovultion has been an era I didn't know so much about. I will recommend this book - all of a sudden the problems you have in your life are not so big...
This was a random pick recommended by Amazon. It was a very interesting story. There are a few parts that reference children starving that are a bit upsetting - but how do you write about this era in China without that? It was well written. I read it nearly a year prior to writing this review, so it's not as fresh in my mind as it ought to be.
Megan Smith
I got stuck around 30% of the way through, but managed to get through the book. I have only read one other book about the Chinese Cultural Revolution, so this was not entirely new information, but still astounding nonetheless. Hard to believe that education could be seen as a bad thing ... wait, I guess that's what Palin supporters believe.
Emma
Jan 20, 2012 Emma rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All
I think this was an eyes opening book. In my opinion the text was really easy to understand. I didn't know earlier that it was so terrible to live in China in those days. It was sometimes really sad but sometimes it was pretty funny. I think this book was really good and I would gladly read this book again.
Daneen
Easy read. Was curious what happens after she attends university and how she arrives in U.S. Would love to see her speak or see an interview from her. Could one child really have witnessed that much tragedy? Would love to know if this is all truth. Will read her father's book next.
Elsa
An amazing true story of an intelligent, determined young girl growing up in China during the Chinese cultural revolution. I was very impressed by her strength of character and ability to survive tremendous hardships. Hard to put down - quick read.
Rachel
Beautifully written, poignant memoir, and one that we all should know. Not for young readers, however, there are some awfully disturbing things that people did to her and her family.
Kayla
Kind of strange writing style, very simple sentences. It makes it a fast read (3 bus rides and a day at work for me). Very interesting.
Aisha Khairi
Amazing, amazing and amazing. 5/5. Totally recommended.

I suck at writing reviews. Well, that's because no one cares anyway.
Jena
Great read. Finished it in two days. Thoughtful story. You felt like you were with her enduring her hardships.
Gargi
Loved this book. If you like historical fiction, I highly recommend this book. It was the best book I read in 2011.
Anna
Usually don't read historical novels but this is one of the best books ever. Thank you Santa for having this book! ;)
Leilani skousen
wonderful book. Would love to know more about the author
Ruth
Really painful tale of a childhood shattered in Mao's China
Duc
Jul 27, 2007 Duc is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Finally I will finish this book!
Patricia Lora
One of my favorite books...
  • Daughter of the River: An Autobiography
  • Salam Pax: The Clandestine Diary of an Ordinary Iraqi
  • Maiden Voyage
  • Village of Stone
  • Against All Hope: A Memoir of Life in Castro's Gulag
  • Sara@crazymail.com (Sara, #1)
  • Journey from the Land of No: A Girlhood Caught in Revolutionary Iran
  • Daughter Of China
  • China's Son: Growing Up in the Cultural Revolution
  • Outwitting the Gestapo
  • The Color of Love: A Mother's Choice in the Jim Crow South
  • Spider Eaters
  • Leaving Mother Lake: A Girlhood at the Edge of the World
  • Fourth Uncle in the Mountain: The Remarkable Legacy of a Buddhist Itinerant Doctor in Vietnam
Canadian Business In The Pacific Rim: Selected Information Sources For Canadian Business Professionals