Start by marking “The Aristos” as Want to Read:
The Aristos

The Aristos

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  487 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Two years after 'The Collector' had brought him international recognition and a year before he published 'The Magus', John Fowles set out his ideas on life and art in 'The Aristos'. In the world he posited of human striving and flux the supreme good was the Aristos, 'of a person or thing, the best or most excellent of its kind'. Ten years in the writing and twice substanti ...more
Paperback, Revised, 206 pages
Published 1981 by Triad Grafton (first published January 1st 1964)

To ask other readers questions about The Aristos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Aristos

Beverly J.
Dec 11, 2011 Beverly J. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up-on
I had such high hopes for this. I was ready to be dazzled by a manifesto of an author I have always held in high regard. It was as dry and interesting as white bread. Such a disappointment.
John E. Branch Jr.
The Aristos was not written to persuade but rather to declare, boldly (as well as baldly) and unconditionally, and to provoke.

• Its title probably doesn't mean what you think it means. It comes from ancient Greek, is pronounced with an emphasis on the first syllable, and means roughly "the best for a given situation." I know this because John Fowles told me so in his preface.

• It was written under the influence of a "love-affaire with Gallic clarity and concision" (yes, Fowles used here, as he
Algirdas Brukštus
Mes bendraujame su pasauliu per operacinę sistemą – mūsų pasaulio suvokimą, per tai, kaip mumyse aprašytas pasaulis,jame vykstantys procesai ir kur jame yra mūsų vieta. Tai yra pas visus, net pas Mauglius, kuriems pasaulį aprašė vilkai ir kurie su pasauliu sąveikauja kaip vilkai, tačiau apie tai susimąsto ir apie tai ima rašyti tik nedaugelis, tik taip vadinami filosofai. Būna, kad apie tai parašo ir rašytojai. Kartais esė forma, o kartais ir filosofinio traktato pavidalu, kaip atsitiko su Johnu ...more
Terry
Sep 05, 2015 Terry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read The Magus. Only once and in the original version. I read The Collector and The French Lieutenant's Woman. I saw the movies made from the latter two. I guess it would be okay to say that back in the day I was a Fowles fan. But I don't remember ever hearing about or reading about The Aristos. I'm a bit surprised because it seems a given that in The Sixties it would have garnered some tidbit of fame even though in the realms of the Tao and of existential philosophy, which this volume plumbs, ...more
Simon Mcleish
Mar 17, 2013 Simon Mcleish rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Originally published on my blog here in May 2011.

The title may suggest "À la lanterne les aristos!", the cry of the French revolutionary mob in The Scarlet Pimpernel. But in fact Fowles is using the Greek word aristos, meaning "the best" without the reference to hereditary privilege it now has in its best known English descendant, aristocracy, or being restricted in application to people, as the same word has it. This is a book which describes Fowles' personal philosophy, which is all about the
Jordan Cullen
A novelist of remarkable invention and intelligence here offers his thoughts on life, art, politics, religion in a collection of aphorisms that are occasionally insightful and innovative, but more often the overall sensation is of reading a vanity exercise.
Lee Holz
Feb 27, 2012 Lee Holz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Aristos is a nonfiction exposition and statement of position on reality, the problems and challenges of humanity and what it means to be human by John Fowles, one of the greatest novelists of the second half of the twentieth century. One may agree with or differ from these pronouncements, for that is what they are, but one must acknowledge the author’s precision and clarity of presentation, cutting insights and serious philosophical approach. It is very much worth the effort of reading.
Craig
May 23, 2010 Craig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting philosophical autobiography of John Fowles--his attempt to illustrate the philosophy behind his novels. Fowles writes as an existentialist, naturalist, and poet, and his prose is the child of Thomas Hardy. I don't normally like books of philosophy -- they so often wallow in abstractions, but having read all of Fowles' fiction, I found I could see the concrete illustrations from his novels to demonstrate the generalized ideas discussed in this book.
Toby Elliott
Nov 16, 2012 Toby Elliott rated it it was amazing
a strange, ultimately inspiring work of philosophy from one of the best writers of human character (if you don't believe me, read The Magus or The Collector. then take a look at this.) it's reminiscient of Wittgenstein's Tractatus in terms of format. you might not always agree with what he says, but it'll hot-poker your mind for hours after you put it down.
Cheryl
Mar 26, 2011 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Might not be everyone's cup of tea -- in fact, is most certainly not -- but I found this book a lovely opportunity to examine the rough edges where my puzzle pieces of philosophies were in contradiction with Fowles'. Always lucid, often disagreeable; both pleasing and stimulating. One to browse.
Joseph Sverker
Fowles has collected some interesting thoughts in the style of Heraclitus in this book. One can sometimes feel that he is a child of his time and that the thoughts have not aged very well. However, there are many times that he shows a great ability to analyse culture.
Helena Gordyniec
в т.ч. из-за некоторых совпадений
Drew
The Aristos by John Fowles (1970)
Aziz
Aug 18, 2014 Aziz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bold.
Denver
Denver marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
uzay  kremasi
uzay kremasi marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Jaime A.  Zobel de Ayala
Jaime A. Zobel de Ayala marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Sergey Efimenko
Sergey Efimenko marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Henrique Arnholdt
Henrique Arnholdt rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2016
Lena Aisha
Lena Aisha rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2016
Marina
Marina marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Philip Armstrong
Philip Armstrong rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2016
Sunandini
Sunandini marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
Geert Malfliet
Geert Malfliet rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2016
Shellii Huff
Shellii Huff marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
Ar
Ar marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
adrian
adrian marked it as to-read
Katia Zaitseva
Katia Zaitseva marked it as to-read
scallion-pancake
scallion-pancake rated it really liked it
  • The Individualized Society
  • How to Talk About Places You've Never Been: On the Importance of Armchair Travel
  • The Last Word and Other Stories
  • When You Were a Tadpole and I Was a Fish and Other Speculations About This and That
  • Yoga for a World Out of Balance: Teachings on Ethics and Social Action
  • Sincerity and Authenticity
  • Parkinson's Law
  • The Maracot Deep
  • Collected Poems
John Robert Fowles was born in Leigh-on-Sea, a small town located about 40 miles from London in the county of Essex, England. He recalls the English suburban culture of the 1930s as oppressively conformist and his family life as intensely conventional. Of his childhood, Fowles says "I have tried to escape ever since."

Fowles attended Bedford School, a large boarding school designed to prepare boys
More about John Fowles...

“Our stereotyping societies force us to feel more alone. They stamp masks on us and isolate out real selves. We all live in two worlds: the old comfortable man-centred world of absolutes and the harsh real world of relatives. The latter, the relativity reality, terrifies us; and isolates and dwarfs us all.” 8 likes
“Time in itself, absolutely, does not exist; it is always relative to some observer or some object. Without a clock I say 'I do not know the time' . Without matter time itself is unknowable. Time is a function of matter; and matter therefore is the clock that makes infinity real.” 8 likes