Start by marking “The Aristos” as Want to Read:
The Aristos

The Aristos

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  440 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Two years after 'The Collector' had brought him international recognition and a year before he published 'The Magus', John Fowles set out his ideas on life and art in 'The Aristos'. In the world he posited of human striving and flux the supreme good was the Aristos, 'of a person or thing, the best or most excellent of its kind'. Ten years in the writing and twice substanti ...more
Paperback, Revised, 206 pages
Published 1981 by Triad Grafton (first published January 1st 1964)

To ask other readers questions about The Aristos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Aristos

Beverly J.
I had such high hopes for this. I was ready to be dazzled by a manifesto of an author I have always held in high regard. It was as dry and interesting as white bread. Such a disappointment.
Algirdas Brukštus
Mes bendraujame su pasauliu per operacinę sistemą – mūsų pasaulio suvokimą, per tai, kaip mumyse aprašytas pasaulis,jame vykstantys procesai ir kur jame yra mūsų vieta. Tai yra pas visus, net pas Mauglius, kuriems pasaulį aprašė vilkai ir kurie su pasauliu sąveikauja kaip vilkai, tačiau apie tai susimąsto ir apie tai ima rašyti tik nedaugelis, tik taip vadinami filosofai. Būna, kad apie tai parašo ir rašytojai. Kartais esė forma, o kartais ir filosofinio traktato pavidalu, kaip atsitiko su Johnu ...more
John E. Branch Jr.
The Aristos was not written to persuade but rather to declare, boldly (as well as baldly) and unconditionally, and to provoke.

• Its title probably doesn't mean what you think it means. It comes from ancient Greek, is pronounced with an emphasis on the first syllable, and means roughly "the best for a given situation." I know this because John Fowles told me so in his preface.

• It was written under the influence of a "love-affaire with Gallic clarity and concision" (yes, Fowles used here, as he
Simon Mcleish
Originally published on my blog here in May 2011.

The title may suggest "À la lanterne les aristos!", the cry of the French revolutionary mob in The Scarlet Pimpernel. But in fact Fowles is using the Greek word aristos, meaning "the best" without the reference to hereditary privilege it now has in its best known English descendant, aristocracy, or being restricted in application to people, as the same word has it. This is a book which describes Fowles' personal philosophy, which is all about the
Jordan Cullen
A novelist of remarkable invention and intelligence here offers his thoughts on life, art, politics, religion in a collection of aphorisms that are occasionally insightful and innovative, but more often the overall sensation is of reading a vanity exercise.
Lee Holz
The Aristos is a nonfiction exposition and statement of position on reality, the problems and challenges of humanity and what it means to be human by John Fowles, one of the greatest novelists of the second half of the twentieth century. One may agree with or differ from these pronouncements, for that is what they are, but one must acknowledge the author’s precision and clarity of presentation, cutting insights and serious philosophical approach. It is very much worth the effort of reading.
Craig
An interesting philosophical autobiography of John Fowles--his attempt to illustrate the philosophy behind his novels. Fowles writes as an existentialist, naturalist, and poet, and his prose is the child of Thomas Hardy. I don't normally like books of philosophy -- they so often wallow in abstractions, but having read all of Fowles' fiction, I found I could see the concrete illustrations from his novels to demonstrate the generalized ideas discussed in this book.
Toby Elliott
a strange, ultimately inspiring work of philosophy from one of the best writers of human character (if you don't believe me, read The Magus or The Collector. then take a look at this.) it's reminiscient of Wittgenstein's Tractatus in terms of format. you might not always agree with what he says, but it'll hot-poker your mind for hours after you put it down.
Cheryl
Might not be everyone's cup of tea -- in fact, is most certainly not -- but I found this book a lovely opportunity to examine the rough edges where my puzzle pieces of philosophies were in contradiction with Fowles'. Always lucid, often disagreeable; both pleasing and stimulating. One to browse.
Joseph Sverker
Fowles has collected some interesting thoughts in the style of Heraclitus in this book. One can sometimes feel that he is a child of his time and that the thoughts have not aged very well. However, there are many times that he shows a great ability to analyse culture.
Helena Gordyniec
в т.ч. из-за некоторых совпадений
Drew
The Aristos by John Fowles (1970)
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Ruxandra Voinea
Ruxandra Voinea marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Nicholas Finch
Nicholas Finch marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
Charlie Scheim
Charlie Scheim marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Nilüfer
Nilüfer marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
Anne
Anne added it
May 27, 2015
Tarun Khemani
Tarun Khemani marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Dlinnychulok
Dlinnychulok marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Irina
Irina marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Thanthos
Thanthos is currently reading it
May 02, 2015
Chris Tyler
Chris Tyler marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Nyx-s
Nyx-s is currently reading it
Apr 25, 2015
Darren Robert Bailey
Darren Robert Bailey marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
  • Parkinson's Law
  • Awake in the World: Teachings from Yoga and Buddhism for Living an Engaged Life
  • Holy Smoke
  • The War against Cliché: Essays and Reviews 1971-2000
  • The Politics of Experience/The Bird of Paradise
  • The Longest Journey
  • Conversation: How Talk Can Change Our Lives
  • When You Were a Tadpole and I Was a Fish and Other Speculations About This and That
  • The Maracot Deep
  • Sincerity and Authenticity (The Charles Eliot Norton Lectures)
  • Tragically I Was an Only Twin: The Complete Peter Cook
  • The Incredible Adventures of Professor Branestawm
  • Collected Poems
  • The Last Word and Other Stories
John Robert Fowles was born in Leigh-on-Sea, a small town located about 40 miles from London in the county of Essex, England. He recalls the English suburban culture of the 1930s as oppressively conformist and his family life as intensely conventional. Of his childhood, Fowles says "I have tried to escape ever since."

Fowles attended Bedford School, a large boarding school designed to prepare boys
More about John Fowles...
The Magus The French Lieutenant's Woman The Collector The Ebony Tower A Maggot

“Our stereotyping societies force us to feel more alone. They stamp masks on us and isolate out real selves. We all live in two worlds: the old comfortable man-centred world of absolutes and the harsh real world of relatives. The latter, the relativity reality, terrifies us; and isolates and dwarfs us all.” 8 likes
“Time in itself, absolutely, does not exist; it is always relative to some observer or some object. Without a clock I say 'I do not know the time' . Without matter time itself is unknowable. Time is a function of matter; and matter therefore is the clock that makes infinity real.” 6 likes