The Desert Smells Like Rain: A Naturalist in O'odham Country

The Desert Smells Like Rain: A Naturalist in O'odham Country

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  130 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Longtime residents of the Sonoran Desert, the Tohono O'odham people have spent centuries living off the land—a land that most modern citizens of southern Arizona consider totally inhospitable. Ethnobotanist Gary Nabhan has lived with the Tohono O'odham, long known as the Papagos, observing the delicate balance between these people and their environment. Bringing O'odham vo...more
Published April 1st 2002 by University of Arizona Press (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Desert Smells Like Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Desert Smells Like Rain

Joel
Published in 1982, this is a book which primarily investigates the agricultural practices of the Tohono O'odham people (Papago Indians) of southern Arizona and the adjacent area of Mexico; practices which are well-adapted to desert conditions, but which are dying out in modern times. There are also sections of the book which explain other aspects of Tohono O'odham life, particularly religious practices; Nabhan visits and explains the meaning of a secluded cave shrine where people leave offerings...more
Mariah
The desert can be sustainable for those with the old knowledge. It is sad that the border of the US and Mexico have divided an ancient people who survived before any government help. Don't want to give too much away. This is non-fiction and a good consistent read.
Katie Hutchinson
I loved the natural first-person narration of this book. The stories are a mix of old and new, myth and science, but all are so meaningful for those of us living in the area.
Priscilla
A wonderful introduction to a native peoples and their way of life, adapted to living in the desert for centuries and centuries. Fascinating scientifically as well as wonderful stories. Very well written.
Nancy
I really enjoyed reading this one. It was written in the 1970's and so has a style that kind of takes you back. What I found quite sad is that instead of moving closer to this impressive body of knowledge, this understanding of how to live well in this beautiful, fragile, if unforgiving desert of ours, through the years we have so clearly stepped farther and farther away from not just the practice but interest of living in sync. Remeber that old folk song that has the refrain, "When will we ever...more
John
Read this on a spring-like afternoon while staying up in the Catskills last week.

A short, beautiful book of vignettes exploring aspects of native Papago desert agriculture, from traditional harvesting of unpredictable floodwaters to food preparation practices. There's a running note of shame and sadness throughout, as Nabhan writes of the how the once large and interconnected Papago lands have become 'enclosed' and Papago health suffers as it becomes ever harder for them to maintain their tradit...more
Abby
This is me giving Gary Paul Nabhan his second chance...and he did beautifully. Perhaps it's because he wears his anthropological hat better than his natural science one, but this beautiful little volume gave off a genuine glow of affection for the landscape and the people in addition to his (indispensable and important) points. And there are PICTURES! Finally, someone who gets it!

So, Mr. Nabhan, I don't know what to say. Get that anthropological hat back out, I guess.
wheels
The last time I read this book was the last time I moved to the desert. It's a good place to start when learning to understand the desert. If you've experienced rain in the Sonoran Desert, you'll know exactly what the title of this book smells like.
Ann
Jun 17, 2008 Ann is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I live near the Papago res now and of course I love this book since it's written by a naturalist. Unfortunately it was written in the 70s so many of the traditions mentioned are already history.
Molly Varley
Beautiful painting of the lives of the Papago Indians. I really enjoyed the rain ceremony where they make an alcoholic beverage out of saguaro fruit (the ultimate boot and rally).
Sarahandus
I'm always interested in how other folks live. Nabhan tells us a bit about the Papago culture and life, it is also a telling of the desert life.
I enjoyed this book very much.
Shelly
I was hoping for more info on how the Papagos actually farmed and collected water in the desert but it was still enjoyable with many stories on all aspects of life there.
Mbarron
Ethnobotanist Gary Nabhan has written a beautiful prose poem of a book about the ecosystem of the Sonoran Desert and how it might be approached and appreciated.
read this for environmental literature class. so much richness in native tradition, food, medicine. interested in more!
Angela Joyce
I think everyone who lives in America should read this, for starters. And then the rest of the world should as well.
Cyndi
I'd probably give this 3.5 stars, but I can't...
Julie
Offers remarkable insight about the Tohono O'odham people of the Sonoran desert. Nabhan writes in such a fluid and eloquent manner that you forget you're learning.
Cast
Cast marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Alpha
Alpha marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
CrimsonFlamez
CrimsonFlamez marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Bryan
Bryan marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Linette Van
Linette Van marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Nancy Boone
Nancy Boone marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Gary Paul Nabhan is an internationally-celebrated nature writer, seed saver, conservation biologist and sustainable agriculture activist who has been called "the father of the local food movement" by Utne Reader, Mother Earth News, Carleton College and Unity College. Gary is also an orchard-keeper, wild forager and Ecumenical Franciscan brother in his hometown of Patagonia, Arizona near the Mexica...more
More about Gary Paul Nabhan...
Coming Home to Eat: The Pleasures and Politics of Local Foods The Geography of Childhood: Why Children Need Wild Places Why Some Like It Hot: Food, Genes, and Cultural Diversity Where Our Food Comes From: Retracing Nikolay Vavilov's Quest to End Famine Gathering the Desert

“I heard a young city boy ask an elderly Papago woman if, lacking a harvesting pole, one could ever collect fruit off the tall cacti by throwing rocks at the tops to knock the fruit down.

'NO!' Marquita replied with a strain of horror in her voice. 'The saguaros- they are Indians too. You don't EVER throw ANYTHING at them. If you hit them on the head with rocks you could kill them. You don't ever stick anything sharp into their skin either, or they will just dry up and die. You don't do anything to hurt them. They are Indians.”
0 likes
“A Sonoran Desert village may receive five inches of rain one year and fifteen the next. A single storm may dump an inch and a half in the matter of an hour on one field and entirely skip another a few hours away. Dry spells lasting for months may be broken by a single torrential cloudburst, then resume again for several more months. Unseasonable storms, and droughts during the customary rainy seasons, are frequent enough to reduce patterns to chaos.

The Papago have become so finely tuned to this unpredictability that it shapes the way they speak of rain. It has also ingrained itself deeply in the structure of their language.

Linguist William Pilcher has observed that the Papago discuss events in terms of their probability of occurrence, avoiding any assumption that an event will happen for sure...

Since few Papago are willing to confirm that something will happen until it does, an element of surprise becomes part of almost everything. Nothing is ever really cut and dried. When rains do come, they're a gift, a windfall, a lucky break.”
0 likes