Start by marking “The Paper Bag Princess” as Want to Read:
The Paper Bag Princess

The Paper Bag Princess

4.32  ·  Rating Details ·  38,481 Ratings  ·  1,518 Reviews
The Princess Elizabeth is slated to marry Prince Ronald when a dragon attacks the castle and kidnaps Ronald. In resourceful and humorous fashion, Elizabeth finds the dragon, outsmarts him, and rescues Ronald--who is less than pleased at her un-princess-like appearance. Full color.
Published May 1st 1980 by Annick Press

Manny
May 12, 2015 Manny rated it really liked it
Girl meets boy. Boy meets dragon. Girl loses boy and clothes. Girl uses paper bag as dress. Girl defeats dragon. Girl gets boy back again. Boy is ungrateful. Boy loses girl. THE END
January
Mar 25, 2009 January rated it it was amazing
It is never too early to teach girls to not settle, and to save the prince! Even if Ronald is a pathetic prince.
Kathryn
Jan 31, 2009 Kathryn rated it liked it
I give this three stars because it was originally written in 1980 when there wasn't as much in the way of "feminist fairy-tales" as there are today--so, gotta give Munsch props for that! I like that our heroine is plucky and resourceful. However, two things really bugged me--

***SPOILERS***
1st, was it Ronald or Elizabeth who was being false before she came to rescue him--i.e., did she originally pretend to be a proper princess, or was he just hiding his jerky-ness? Their split seemed a bit sudde
AleJandra
Nov 17, 2016 AleJandra rated it really liked it
Shelves: kasey-s-books
Al buscar libros feministas para niñxs, este siempre aparecía primero.

Narra una historia sencilla de como una princesa se embarca en una aventura para rescatar al príncipe del que esta enamorada, de las garras de un furioso dragon.

Pero lo mejor es el final cuando la princesa se da cuenta que ella es lo suficientemente valiente e inteligente como para derrotar un dragón y que no necesita casarse con un príncipe malagradecido y superficial, para ser feliz.

Cumple en enseñar un mensaje de empoder
Ronyell
I have been reading most of Robert Munsch and Michael Martchenko’s works ever since I was a child and I have enjoyed most of their works! I have recently re-read a book from the popular duo that I had enjoyed during my childhood called “The Paper Bag Princess” and it is about how a princess is stripped down to wearing a plain paper bag when a dragon attacks her castle and she has to go rescue Prince Ronald, who has been kidnapped by the dragon. “The Paper Bag Princess” is definitely one of Rober ...more
Celia Kennedy
Apr 26, 2015 Celia Kennedy rated it it was amazing
An absolute must read for every girl from birth through forever...

I'm not a raging feminist, but I am a huge believer in a girl knowing that she can rescue herself and anyone else who needs it - if they want her help. This book reinforces how to be resourceful, have confidence, and know when to walk away. My daughter received this gift the day she was born and we've read it a thousand times. One of the few that is still on the bookshelf, more than a decade later.
Jessica
Nov 18, 2007 Jessica rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: little tiny people, not-so-tiny people who could benefit from its message
I thought I reviewed this one already. This is an instructive fairytale for young children about not putting up with a bunch of crap. The paper bag princess is engaged to marry Prince Ronald, this handsome, uptight tennis-playing eighties-yuppie-style monarch, until she has to battle a fire-breathing dragon using only her wits. Elizabeth the princess outsmarts the dragon, but not before his fire breath blows away all of her clothes and she's left to conceal her nakedness by wearing a paper bag. ...more
Weng
Jun 22, 2015 Weng rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5.0 stars

Yesssss! A reversal! In kids book, no less!! (Me, whooping)

The Paperbag Princess subtly teaches the little ones(girls, especially) several things; one, material possession is fleeting, two, beauty is more than skin-deep, three, wisdom is a weapon, four, you can be your own hero, and five, acceptance and respect comprise genuine love. Did I miss anything? Oh yeah, why not shed double standards while we're at it.

Children are smart and retentive, they begin to adapt ideas and set their
Ann
I love the idea of a strong female character - especially given when this was initially published. It kind of turns the classic "damsel in distress" on its head, where the princess saves the prince.
I also liked that the princess had to out-smart the dragon - she succeeded by using her brain.
That's what I liked....

But, I think I would have liked this a lot better had it only been about the dragon, or only been about the relationship with the prince - but I didn't like them both together because o
Christine Bongers
Mar 15, 2015 Christine Bongers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Found this on the bookshelf today. Thirty-five years after it was first published, it is still a fun and empowering read.
Ciara (Lost at Midnight)
Haven't read this book since I was little but man, it's so great. Getting to read picture books for university never stops being awesome.
Jenny
I have always thought that this book is humorous...and yet I have never LOVED it.

Things I like:
1. The brave, clever girl who doesn't wait for someone to come rescue her but courageously solves her own problem.
2. Lessons in humility can be taught/discussed. Elizabeth used the dragon's vanity to overcome him. This could be used in a character education lesson to talk about humility as well as courage.
3. The illustrations add to the fun and humor of the story.
4. This could also be used to talk abou
Slayermel
Jan 14, 2010 Slayermel rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone with young children and Preschool Teachers
I have always loved this story because for once when it comes to Princes and Princesses we have a strong Female character.
Princess Elizabeth is to Marry Prince Ronald, but all this changes when a Fierce Dragon comes and attacks the castle and kidnaps the Prince. Elizabeth ends up having to wear a paper bag and goes through some trials in order to save Prince Robert. When she arrives to save him, Prince Robert is not impressed with the way Elizabeth looks, never mind the fact that she just came
Kerstin
May 27, 2010 Kerstin rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. What kind of princess do you want to be? If you want to be a Sleeping Beauty kind of princess, this book is not for you. If you want to be an empowered, capable princess, our paper bag Princess will speak volumes.
Kristen
Aug 19, 2008 Kristen rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Very good feminist fairy tale, w/out being too over the top. My four year old son really liked it, and it gave us a good reason / excuse to talk about gender roles and respect.
Macklin
Apr 01, 2013 Macklin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
My favourite Robert Munsch book.
Alicia Tan
Aug 05, 2013 Alicia Tan rated it really liked it
“Ronald,” said Elizabeth, “your clothes are really pretty and your hair is all neat. You look like a real prince, but you are a bum.”

My curiosity was certainly piqued when I read those lines. “This does not quite sound like a fairy tale with ‘happily ever after’”, I thought.

“The title of the book is ‘The Paper Bag Princess’, why was she called that Mama? Does she not have any clothes? What happened to her?” Those questions (by my daughter nicknamed Dumpling) came fast and furious and so, I sat
Lucy Watts
Sep 24, 2011 Lucy Watts rated it it was amazing
When we first meet Elizabeth at the start of 'The Paper Bag Princess' she appears to be a common or garden fairy tale princess. She lives in a castle, wears expensive princess clothes and is going to marry a prince named Ronald. So far so dull. Everything changes when a dragon arrives and smashes Elizabeth's castle, burns her clothes and carries Prince Ronald off to his cave.

The rest of the story tells how Elizabeth bravely dons a paper bag (the only thing she can find that the dragon hasn't bu
Elys
Jun 07, 2012 Elys rated it it was amazing
Elizabeth is a beautiful princess, about to marry the rather stuck-up Prince Ronald, when a dragon destroys her castle with his fiery breath, and carries off Ronald. All of Elizabeth’s clothes are burnt, and the only thing left for her to wear is a dirty paper bag. She puts it on and off she goes to find her prince in the dragon’s lair. Elizabeth tricks the dragon into tiring himself out by setting fire to several forests, and flying around the world in just ten seconds. When he is fast asleep, ...more
Becca Harper
Jul 14, 2013 Becca Harper rated it it was amazing
I remember reading this book over and over again as a child. I was fascinated by how this princess, not only outsmarted a dragon, but also rescued the prince. When every other fairy tale tells you the prince is the hero and the princess is the helpless female in need of rescuing, this was a refreshingly different and forward thinking for the time (80's).

I guess that is why it will always be my favourite childhood story, the woman is the hero and not only that but she showed me I didn't need to c
Sami C
Jun 28, 2014 Sami C rated it liked it
Dragon kidnaps prince, princess' clothes reduced to ashes so she embarks on a quest to save prince while wearing paper bag, prince is saved but he turns out to be a dirtbag, princess says deuces and leaves him.

I like this story. It is so rare to have a male damsel in distress and a children's book character who doesn't just settle for the prince.
Kathy
Apr 04, 2009 Kathy rated it really liked it
Nearly 30 years old but still a great book! Elizabeth sets off to save Ronald from a dragon. But sometimes a prince isn't all he's cracked up to be.
Melinda
Dec 01, 2015 Melinda rated it it was ok
I purchased this book to give to a young niece. Unfortunately, the ending is so awful that I cannot give this book as a gift.
Nojood Alsudairi
Dec 27, 2007 Nojood Alsudairi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A children's book unlike any other. It contradicts the fairytales and tells girls that they do not need to be muscular to rescue people.
Edwina Hall Callan
Sep 22, 2015 Edwina Hall Callan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing, 2015
Never too old for fairytales ... and this one I simply adored!
Victoria Hernandez
I thought this short story was great when I was a kid. It was definitely different from the other princess stories I was used to seeing growing up. I enjoyed very much seeing a prince being saved, then watching the princess leave him because she knew her self-worth. This story makes me very happy indeed.
evil grin photo: tumblr_lp6j3rO4eC1qc01c7.gif
Kylie
Jan 23, 2017 Kylie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I have a deep and abiding love for this book. It was a constant companion through my childhood and now in my twenties I still adore reading, "Ronald...your clothes are really pretty and your hair is very neat. You look like a real prince, but you are a bum." When I have messy hair and none of my clothes seem to fit, I summon up my inner paper bag princess and realize I can still defeat any dragon I meet!
Kate
Feb 11, 2017 Kate rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-for-hobbit
My absolute favourite. My son loves to shout "Hey Dragon!" And joins in when Elizabeth calls Ronald a bum.
Elizabeth
My go-to birthday present for little girls. Love this book and my boys do, too!
LJ
Dec 31, 2016 LJ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Let's remind girls that they're smarter than they're told they are!
Paper Bag Princess Essay 1 3 Feb 17, 2017 07:08AM
  • Jillian Jiggs
  • The Princess Knight
  • Princess Smartypants
  • Red Is Best
  • The Frog Prince Continued
  • Falling for Rapunzel
  • Alligator Pie (Collector's Edition)
  • Princess Furball
  • Cinder Edna
  • The Hockey Sweater
  • My Name Is Not Isabella
  • William's Doll
  • Fanny's Dream
  • The Way Back Home (The Boy, #3)
  • The Big Orange Splot
  • King Bidgood's in the Bathtub
  • The Three Questions
  • Tops & Bottoms
Robert Munsch was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He graduated from Fordham University in 1969 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in history and from Boston University in 1971 with a Master of Arts degree in anthropology.

He studied to become a Jesuit priest, but decided he would rather work with children after jobs at orphanages and daycare centers. In 1973, he received a Master of Education in Chil
More about Robert Munsch...