Start by marking “Halfway to Heaven (Calhoun Chronicles #3)” as Want to Read:
Halfway to Heaven (Calhoun Chronicles #3)

Halfway to Heaven (Calhoun Chronicles #3)

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  906 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
At a glittering White House gala, Abigail Cabot discovers the man of her dreams. Only, he's not interested...yet. So the gifted lady astronomer, whose passion for measuring stars has left her woefully lacking in social graces, seeks someone to educate her...someone who is a master at the art of seduction.

Jamie Calhoun's handsome looks and easy charm have made him as popula
Published October 1st 2001 by Mira Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Halfway to Heaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Halfway to Heaven

Ivy Deluca
May 04, 2015 Ivy Deluca rated it really liked it
Shelves: historicals
It had been a long time since I'd read anything by Ms. Wiggs, and I cannot recall why I never sought her out, but I mean to rectify that situation. I wasn't sure if would get into this, as I've been on more of a contemporary romance kick, but I got so caught up in this book I stayed up half the night reading it. The setting is 1870s Washington DC/Virginia, and the story centers around the Pygmalion-like relationship that develops between Abigail Cabot and James Calhoun, with a dash of Cyrano de ...more
Fernanda
:) uma historia bem engraçada que Susan Wiggs nos apresenta.
com algum sentido de humor, mas acima de tudo com o realismo que afinal toda a historia de amor tambem deve conter.

Abigail Cabot, filha de senador, mas com alguma "incapacidade" para o social enfrenta nesta historia um desafio a todas as convenções e a sua falta de auto estima.

Por outro lado Jamie Calhoun, com um passado secreto, assume o papel de "professor" de Abby no sentido de a tornar irresistivel e em contrapartida ter o apoio pol
Sandra
Jul 27, 2012 Sandra rated it really liked it
Abigail Cabot, awkward and dowdy, loves nothing more than astronomy. One night Abigail happens upon a lovers tyst and becomes friends with the thwarted lothario James Calhoun. Calhoun befriends Abigail to get into the good graces of her father. Calhoun decides to assist Abigail in her transformation in order to attack her love interest. Except somewhere along the way, Calhoun & Abigail unexpectedly fall in love.

With a cast of fun and interesting characters, Wiggs tells a story that is part r
Sara
Jan 03, 2016 Sara rated it liked it
I read this book for the Disney Prince Hopefuls challenge. Milo Thatch: Read a book that has to do with the legend of Atlantis or a book where the character knows several languages. You may also read a book with a socially-awkward character or a character named James or Michael.

This book was pretty decent, but unbelievable at times and forgettable at others. Our nerdy club footed heroine gets together with a new member of Congress (her dad is an important senator too) to convince the man she ide
Candy Liggett
Oct 16, 2014 Candy Liggett rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book. Susan Wiggs creates wonderful characters we have two sisters Abagale and Helena and their father is a politican. Their mother passed away delivering Abagale. The sisters have a very close bond and are always trying to please their father and making him happy. Abagale has her heart set on Boyd Butler the vice presidents son and dreams of being with him and looking for her happily ever after. Boyd has his eyes on Helena and begins to court her for her hand in marriage. En ...more
Germaine Lefebvre
"Nessuno fuggirà di fronte a voi, Abby" disse Jamie, tornando al presente e rivolgendo un sorriso smagliante alla ragazza che gli sedeva accanto.
Lei aveva ancora un'espressione disgustata per aver mangiato l'ostrica. Fece per dire qualcosa, ma, improvvisamente, si portò la mano alla bocca e lasciò precipitosamente il tavolo.

Romanzo della serie "Nessuno può mettere Baby in un angolo", ma con protagonista maschile, vero Pigmalione sbruffone e simpatico e quello femminile che, pur appartenendo alla
Kate Vale
Apr 28, 2015 Kate Vale rated it really liked it
History buffs who focus on post-Civil War America would like this book. Set in Washington, D.C., and rife with both political machinations by the men and how women were expected to act, but often didn't (!) embellish this story about Abigail Cabot, 2nd daughter to Senator Cabot. He would dearly love for one of his daughters to marry the Vice President's son. Abby has been enamored of the boy since they were children, but what she thinks of a love might better be characterized as something else. ...more
Sandra
Aug 08, 2013 Sandra rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book a lot more than I did The Horsemaster's Daughter The Horsemaster's Daughter (Calhoun Chronicles #2) by Susan Wiggs, as I found the characters in this book a lot more likeable. I like that Susan Wiggs has given us great heroines in this series (Calhoun Chronicles) - they have flaws, they're not your average beautiful debutante that you find in other historical novels. They are painfully shy, unfashionably intelligent or have grown up on a secluded island with only their father for guidance. These characters are much more relatable.

I stoppe
SuperWendy
Jun 23, 2014 SuperWendy rated it really liked it
This book languished in my mammoth TBR for a long time because I'm not wild about political settings. That being said, I really enjoyed this story! If you're a hero-centric romance reader, then Jamie Calhoun is right in your wheelhouse. He's a rogue, a charmer, and says all the right things to make a girl swoon. I liked that Abby doesn't immediately swoon though, and I liked that these two fall in love prior to her "makeover" even if they don't admit their feelings for each other until the end. ...more
Kathy Anne
Jul 12, 2012 Kathy Anne rated it really liked it
This is another from one of my top 5 authors,the same high quality as all of Susans books.IMHO this lady must spend a lot of time thinking up plots that are not the sameo,not only plots, but her characters have a well thought out differance too.Maybe it`s because she leaves the sex scenes to our imagination instead of the verbatum scenes most authors do nowdays.The first one in this book was described in only a few words but boy did my imagination ever set up and take notice !
Jaime was just wond
Irma
Nov 21, 2014 Irma rated it really liked it
Los personajes de esta serie con mujeres muy poco convencionales para su época. Quizá no sean tan hermosas pero definitivamente son muy inteligentes y se interesan en temas reservados casi siempre para los hombres. Seguimos en los 1860's, esta vez en el Senado y las luchas de poder, los intereses de los ferrocarrileros y mantener las apariencias.
Mary Baker
May 02, 2014 Mary Baker rated it really liked it
I haven't read Susan Wigg's historical romances before and was pleasantly surprised as I read this book. It was a fun book to read--with a plot that was probably implausible, but definitely romantic. It provided hours of good escape; and the arguments between the two main characters kept me smiling.
Adria
Mar 19, 2015 Adria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting...

I liked it but it didn't keep my interest as well as the first two books in the series... I did like the characters though.
Nancy Brady
Jun 05, 2012 Nancy Brady rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book, library-book
Awkward daughter, who's also an astronomer, of a Senator prefers looking at the stars than catching the bouquet of the bride. She's allergic to the flowers, and because of a foot deformity, she prefers not to embarrass herself with dancing (backwards, of course). Escaping her unease, she meets the dashing Jamie Calhoun, freshman Congressman. He offers to tutor her so that she can attract the man of her dreams, but like most romances, love blooms between the two. Will she end up with the man of h ...more
Lara
diciamo tre stelline e 1/2, classico libro da spiaggia, senza lode e senza infamia!
Sarah Bedard
Mar 31, 2014 Sarah Bedard rated it it was amazing
one of my all time favorite romantics..
Dobby0390
Apr 25, 2016 Dobby0390 rated it really liked it
Abigail and Helena Calbot, raised by their wealthy influential widowed father, have only each other for emotional support. Helena is stunningly beautiful; Abigail is awkward, socially inept, and brilliant. Everyone falls in love with Helena - except Jamie Calhoun, the Virginia rake who sees past the awkwardness and unfashionable wardrobe to appreciate the wallflower sister. Wonderfully written ugly-duckling story of two souls finding each other and finding themselves.
Erin
Oct 12, 2013 Erin rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: historical romance fans
Senator Cabot's younger daughter, Abigail, is a brilliant astronomer and a lousy dresser. Freshman Congressman Jamie Calhoun decides the best way to win her father's influence is to "help" Abby romance and win the husband of her dreams. So why are neither truly happy when it works?

For readers' advisors: character doorway is primary. Story and setting (circa 1870s or 1880s Virginia) are secondary. Mild sexual content and swearing.
Jen
Dec 05, 2008 Jen rated it it was amazing
Really liked this book. I really enjoyed the genuine friendship established between Jamie and Abby (I think that was the female characters name... it's kind of escaping me at the moment). Definitely read this AFTER reading the horsemasters daughter, or else it spoils the story of the character Noah.
Rochelle
Good book. I read this series entirely out of order and I really wish that I read Enchanted Afternoon after this one, I think it would have made more sense.
~*kath*~
Jun 02, 2008 ~*kath*~ rated it really liked it
Recommended to ~*kath*~ by: Amber
Thoroughly enjoyed this one, Susan Wiggs has a wonderful style of writing. Her characters are gorgeous (both central characters and sub-characters) and her story so engaging, I was turning each page with anticipation. Can't wait to read some more of her work.
Mary
Nov 20, 2008 Mary rated it liked it
I expected to like the Calhoun book set in Washington D.C. Unconventional women and the men who try to understand them is the focus of the whole Calhoun Series. This was worth reading; it just isn't as rich as Horsemaster's Daughter.
Santana
Feb 04, 2012 Santana rated it liked it
Hmmmm kind of similar to the first book and had it's moments...but i found it dragging at times. Characters were okay :\ it had so much potential to be great. It wasn't horrible...It was just okay lol but great finish to the series ;)
Carla_Collette
Oct 23, 2010 Carla_Collette rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
This book is about two wounded souls coming together in the time after the civil war in the USA. Improbable plot, with an interesting mix of tragedy and humor. Good romantic tension and suspense. An enjoyable escape read.
Jeanne
Aug 13, 2009 Jeanne rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
Fun read about an intelligent, awkward young woman trying to find her way and keep her father happy at the same time. I thought from the blurb that it was present-ish day, so it took me a second to catch up.
Mary Jo
May 16, 2009 Mary Jo rated it liked it
Very predictable, but I had to finish it just the same. Not what I would normally expect from Susan Wiggs; but it was light, easy reading and sometimes you just gotta do that!
Krista the Bookaholic
Awwwww. How I liked this book. I adore slow build-up for romance and this had it. Loved Abbie's and Jamie's friendship and watching it grow into love was so beautiful (^_^)
Dev
Nov 27, 2015 Dev rated it it was amazing
Jamie and Abby's story was so wonderful I didn't want it to end. I loved the development of their friendship. This story was truly heart warming.
Lucianne
Jul 16, 2011 Lucianne rated it it was amazing
A clumsy heroine with a bum leg and too much brain to be fashionable for her time. And the man who loves her. Fabulous. Sexy. Yummy.
LJ
Sep 22, 2007 LJ rated it it was ok
Halfway to Heaven - Poor
Susan Wiggs
Lady astronomer with a deformed foot and new Senator.

Didn't work for me.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Jan 22, 2016 04:53PM
  • Courting Miss Hattie
  • A Perfect Scoundrel
  • Let It Be Me (The Blue Raven, #5)
  • Once a Gentleman (Ladies' Fashionable Cabinet, #3)
  • When Tempting a Rogue (Victorian Soap Opera, #3)
  • September Moon
  • The Portrait
  • To Seduce A Scoundrel (Secrets & Scandals #3)
  • Once in a Blue Moon
  • She's No Princess (Guilty, #4)
  • Perils of the Heart
  • Sleepless at Midnight (Mayhem in Mayfair, #1)
  • Entwined (The Ten, #1)
  • To Wed a Wicked Earl (Devine & Friends, #2)
  • The Rake and the Wallflower
  • Lord Braybrook's Penniless Bride
  • Scandalous (Banning Sisters, #1)
  • Forever After
Susan Wiggs's life is all about family, friends...and fiction. She lives at the water's edge on an island in Puget Sound, and she commutes to her writers' group in a 17-foot motorboat. She serves as author liaison for Field's End, a literary community on Bainbridge Island, Washington, bringing inspiration and instruction from the world's top authors to her seaside community. (See www.fieldsend.org ...more
More about Susan Wiggs...

Calhoun Chronicles (5 books)
  • The Charm School (Calhoun Chronicles #1)
  • The Horsemaster's Daughter (Calhoun Chronicles #2)
  • Enchanted Afternoon (Calhoun Chronicles #4)
  • A Summer Affair (Calhoun Chronicles #5)