Kraftwerk: Man, Machine and Music

Kraftwerk: Man, Machine and Music

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  9 reviews

"Without them there would have been no hip hop, no house, no ambient music, no electro and even Michael Jackson with whom they flatly refused to collaborate would have sounded different. Bussy engagingly explains why they're one of the few groups who've actually changed how music sounds," was how Q Magazine chose to describe this insightful biography.Now updated and revise

Published October 31st 1993 by Firefly Publishing (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Kraftwerk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kraftwerk

Simon
Kraftwerk's notorious high level of secrecy, an integral part of the band's underlying concept and a source of amusingly surreal anecdotes from the author, results in this being a decidedly odd read compared to every other band biography I've read so far. The little interviewing the author has done of Kraftwerk's central members are cryptic and sparse, the bulk of testimony coming from either former members or previous interviews if not outsiders the band has interacted with.

By far the most illu...more
Thomas Strömquist
"A biography of a band as non-disclosing as Kraftwerk can of course not be expected to contain any major revelations or surprises and this book really doesn't. Instead it is more of a extended album review covering the entire back catalogue, interspersed with some anecdotes and hypothesis. Recommended if especially interested."
Sarah A
This is the most informative book I've been able to find on this group thus far. Has a lot of pics and talks about the beginning when Florian and Ralf initially met and conceived the notion for th music. I love the ambient movement because I find it to be very ecclectic and diversified. My only complaint is that the book really does tend to center around the heyday of their career.
Bagatela
This is an objective and modest approach to the inside world of Ralph and Florian. If the end results are not all that informative for a follower of the Düsseldorf duo, the reason is simple. This book is something of a semi official biography, written with the support of Kling-Klang, the clique that dwell’s in secrecy and concealed creativeness.
Joshua
More music. Kraftwerk are kind of an enigma--super secretive, rarely releasing music as they haven't released anything of great worth since '82! I liked reading how totally into the ideology they are and how their views on music and image interconnect. I just loved reading how their early stuff was made and the ideas that were behind them.
Devin Tait
This is a very insightful and interesting read. I didn't know much about Kraftwerk before but I always knew they had influences a lot of my favorite bands, so I thought I'd give this book a try when my mom gave it to me. I really enjoyed it and had to start tracking down Kraftwerk albums shortly after finishing it.
milton
while written mostly from an almost hearsay point of view, an interesting look into the lives and music of the pioneers of electronic modern music.
Francisco Luis
The most depth study about the top electronic band ever. Including interviews with Hütter and Schültz. Interesting if you're a big fan.
SL
Not terribly illuminating, but interesting nonetheless. Made me listen to all my Kraftwerk records...!
John Paulson
John Paulson marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Kotenoka
Kotenoka marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Tatianna
Tatianna marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Anime Heck
Anime Heck marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Joshua
Joshua marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
bettyx1138
bettyx1138 is currently reading it
Apr 16, 2014
Sanjay
Sanjay marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Darla Sigmon
Darla Sigmon marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2014
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
Hans
Hans marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014