Start by marking “Angels in the Wilderness: The True Story of One Woman's Survival Against All Odds” as Want to Read:

This book is a first-person account of a disaster on a solo hiking trip. Author Amy Racina was hiking in a remote part of King's Canyon National Park in California's Sierra mountains when she lost the trail. With no warning, she suddenly fell sixty feet, breaking both legs on the rocks below. She survived for four days and nights, battling pain, fear and exhaustion, pullin ...more
Published October 1st 2005 by Elite Books

To ask other readers questions about Angels in the Wilderness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angels in the Wilderness

Wild by Cheryl StrayedGrandma Gatewood's Walk by Ben MontgomeryBecoming Odyssa by Jennifer Pharr DavisIn Beauty May She Walk by Leslie MassAlmost Somewhere by Suzanne Roberts
Women's Hiking Memoirs
11th out of 34 books — 10 voters
Into the Wild by Jon KrakauerOff the Wall by Michael P. GhiglieriDeath in Yellowstone by Lee H. WhittleseyThe Last Season by Eric BlehmInto Thin Air by Jon Krakauer
Accidents and Death in the Wilderness
32nd out of 94 books — 22 voters

More lists with this book...

Honor
Mar 23, 2016 Honor rated it liked it
Pros: I love reading about backpacking and everything associated with it. Reading this book made me pine for the mountains so very much. I also love reading tales of survival against all odds, and the determination and courage it takes to endure such a trauma.

Cons: I could not bring myself to like the author. She is a complete narcissist, and everything in her life revolves around how it affects her and how she can benefit from it. She expressed her value of nature and self-pursuit above people
Jane
Jun 11, 2012 Jane rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2012
Good on Amy for surviving her fall, lucky for her that she was rescued, lucky for her that she could afford a quick trip to Asia with a $300,000 medical bill hanging over her head, lucky for her that she wrote an account of her fall, rescue and rehabilitation and has made some money out of it. It was an ok read up to her rescue and the book should have ended then instead of making me wade and eventually skip through the excruciating hocus pocus mumbo jumbo pseudo Buddhist sentiment that went on ...more
Sonja
Apr 06, 2016 Sonja rated it really liked it
I picked up this book because I broke my ankle on a backpacking trip last summer and thought reading about someone else's much worse ordeal and healing process would be interesting. Maybe it was the personal connection, but I really enjoyed the book. I agree with many of the posters that the first half of the book is more interesting and that the ending gets pretty preachy. I can see why she structured the book as she did and included the end because it's a very personal reaction to the process, ...more
Oct 01, 2011 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, harsh-regime
It was a great book most of the volume and I really liked author's determination which helped her to survive. But the last third of the book was just some kind of a spiritual teaching - "it wasn't me who saved myself, it was some gods and goddesses, let's pray for this, amen" - boring no end.
SouthWestZippy
Jan 16, 2016 SouthWestZippy rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Amy Racina falls sixty feet onto solid granite while hiking solo in the California's Sierra Nevada mountains. This is a first person account of her four days and nights surviving with two shattered legs,the people who rescued her and the ones who saved her.
The story is amazing but does get lost among her personal philosophies that she repeats every other page. Not a well written book either it lacks closer on those who helped her and way to many details. I still gave it four stars because it is
Simmonsmry
Oct 27, 2009 Simmonsmry rated it really liked it
Some stories are almost too incredible to believe. They read like fiction even though they are fact and inspire all who read them to look beyond themselves and find faith in a higher power.
Such is the story of Amy Racina, who has published her memoir, 'Angels in the Wilderness,' an account of her sixty-foot fall in the Sierra Nevada mountains and her subsequent struggle to survive and thrive after breaking both her legs.
The author relays how she lay in a remote area of Kings Canyon National Park
Kameel Nasr
Apr 28, 2014 Kameel Nasr rated it liked it
A woman backpacker from the new age community of Sebastopol, CA, has an injury while alone in the middle of nowhere. This is a personal account of her plight, her reflections, and her recovery. The novice writer gives us a view of the hiking life.
Patric
May 04, 2016 Patric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book for everyone who has thought about falling and falling hard.

I have done a fair amount of hiking, and read a fair amount of books on the subject. This is the only hiking disaster book that has good pacing. Not a ton of crazy flashbacks or history of the trail. So the disaster part is good, check.

What really makes the story is the recovery. The authors overwhelming uplifting nature and absolutely terrible scenarios allows one to have true perspective in to the human nature.
Shawn Summers
Mar 02, 2014 Shawn Summers rated it really liked it
Absolutely riveting! I devoured it as quickly as I could! Amazing story of survival.
Becky Austill-Clausen
Jul 02, 2016 Becky Austill-Clausen rated it it was amazing
I Love this book. Just finished hiking in Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks so this book was especially captivating. Amy's chapter on Gratitude is excellent. Extremely well written, engaging and inspiring. Thrilled Amy's journey ended so well. Yay Amy!
Kathy
Apr 03, 2009 Kathy rated it really liked it
Amy Racina spent 4 days in the bottom of a ravine with two broken legs and a broken hip after falling 60 feet onto a granite slab during a solo hike in the remote Tehipite Valley in the Sierra Nevada. Through a series of miracles, she was rescued but not without unimaginable endurance and making the decision to try and move closer to a trail. The story of her recuperation is as amazing as the story of her fall and rescue. And she writes it beautifully! Talk about a testament to staying positive ...more
Jill Sorenson
Mar 19, 2012 Jill Sorenson rated it really liked it
I worried this would be preachy ("Angels" in the title) but it wasn't. The narrator isn't even religious. Spiritual, maybe. It's an amazing survival story about a solo female hiker in the remote Sierra mountains who fell, broke both legs, and dragged herself down a ravine over the course of several days to find help. Very good read.
Mark Tilchen
May 09, 2012 Mark Tilchen rated it really liked it
As a backpacker I can relate to how easy it is to get lost in the beauty of a place and find yourself in trouble, perhaps even a life threatening situation. The book is about one incident, and thus a little slow going at times. But the story is moving and well written from the heart. An enjoyable and emotional read.
John Beynon
Aug 24, 2009 John Beynon rated it it was ok
Interesting narrative about a woman solo-hiker who falls into a 60-foot ravine well into a multi-day trek through the remote wilderness of Kings Canyon National Park. The narrative traces her rescue and her recovery. Perhaps a little too heavy with the how-I-overcame-against-all-odds message and tone.
Erika
Feb 11, 2013 Erika rated it liked it
Parts of the book were a good adventure read. The last chapters were more of a self-help guide, and I skimmed those. She is truly amazing in her strength before, during, and after her experience. I just wanted to read about the survival story and not the cliché things that she learned from her experience.
Carol
Mar 30, 2014 Carol rated it really liked it
Very good true story of a woman who was injured in the wilderness; nicely written.
Jen
Mar 11, 2013 Jen rated it liked it
Amy Racina fell 60 feet while solo hiking in the Sierra Nevadas. Her determination to stay alive and make her way home made for an interesting read.
Jeff Anderson
Aug 17, 2009 Jeff Anderson rated it it was amazing
Amy's adventure is truly inspiring!
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Chloe
Chloe marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
Raechel
Raechel marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
Krysti
Krysti marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Darlene Weathers-Gast
Darlene Weathers-Gast is currently reading it
Jun 15, 2016
SF
SF marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Susan Morrelli
Susan Morrelli rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2016
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Stephaniemarie07
Stephaniemarie07 marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2016