Start by marking “Hello, I'm Special: How Individuality Became the New Conformity” as Want to Read:
Hello, I'm Special: How Individuality Became the New Conformity

Hello, I'm Special: How Individuality Became the New Conformity

3.2 of 5 stars 3.20  ·  rating details  ·  212 ratings  ·  35 reviews
"Hal Niedzviecki is one of the wisest, funniest and most acute cultural critics writing today."—Naomi Klein, author of No Logo

Niedzviecki’s
Published April 1st 2006 by City Lights Publishers (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Hello, I'm Special, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hello, I'm Special

Erika
Jul 02, 2007 Erika rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: self-important pompous asshats
This review is hella long because I wrote it for Amazon:

Hal Niedzviecki is the guy who bums a ride with you and then criticizes the way you drive, tells you when to turn, and tells you where to park. He is the guy who walks into your kitchen and asks to be shown what you are cooking, and then makes unhelpful suggestions as to how to improve your recipe. He's the guy who crashes your party and makes snide comments about your taste in music, and how he was into it 'before they went all mainstream
John McDonald
Can you give negative stars? Deeply cynical, arrogant, incurious, unoriginal, what was an interesting premise is marred by the writer's complete inability to engage with anyone or anything outside of his own mind. Entire chapters are reasoned back from his conclusion, contrary evidence is ignored, and strawmen are set up and knocked down with the efficiency a Fox News commentator would be impressed by, all of it wrapped in a masturbatory and defensive prose style. This book joins a short list of ...more
Miri
A great book that would be much better but for the fact that, near the end, the author begins essentially going on tirades against capitalism, globalization, and other things that have done much, MUCH more good than bad in the world.

That was annoying.

For once, I'd like to read about culture and society without getting liberal/socialist bullshit thrown in with the bargain.

Also, frankly, I can't relate to any of the people he talks about--the ones who stand in a parking lot for hours to audition f
Mary Fons
I nearly bailed on this book early in the first chapter because Niedzviecki seemed like a real whiner. Thankfully, I stuck with it. I learned a lot from "Hello, I'm Special" and it, along with several other books I've read lately, have thrown me into a bit of a crisis.

It's true: individuality is the new conformity. There are very few avenues for a rebel to choose if he/she wants to make waves. The waves are sold as quick as they appear. There's nothing new under the sun and, once there is, it's
Michael Boeke
Ugh. This was the first book I've read in a while that really disappointed. I expected some insight into why people all want to be different in the same way...like why do all the hipsters wear the same glasses? Unfortunately, the author makes the entire book about how everyone wants to be a pop star. His premise is wrong, and as a semi-famous author he just comes off as self-loathing. Additionally, he is a Canadian writer and tries to use the inclusive "North America" wherever he can, which ends ...more
Mars
Hal Niedzviecki sounds like a whiny, unhappy man who hates everyone and everything. In "Hello, I'm Special", his tendency to generalize, some of the examples he chose, and his cynical, angry approach (softened only in the last couple of chapters) to the theme of individualism make this reading often unpleasant. However, some of his observations definitely resonate with my own experience and have helped me make sense of many things I'm seeing.

Lisa-piece-a-pie
The premise of this book was more enticing to me than bananas foster, and boy do I LOVE bananas foster.

Anyway, though there are many truths in what the author is saying, his structure was so sporadic and self-serving that I had a hard time absorbing his point. The end of the book is inconclusive, which negates his whole purpose for writing it.

Still, an interesting read, but I recommend not buying it. In fact, you can have my copy.
Hannah
When I read this book it blew my mind. Granted, it's a little pedestrian, but it was one of those "he's saying what I'm thinking" moments for me. The book is about American society's focus on the individual in the face of globalization, and how that has affected our sense of community and self. Very interesting.
Cynthia
Finally someone wrote a book about this.
Bryan
I'm about halfway through this book and was immediately struck by how his style of thinking mirrors my own in a very eerie way. However, the major difference between him and I: I have done zero research into this topic.

I do think that we live in a very egocentric country that places comfort and self love - no, aggrandizement - as a top priority in life. I believe this affects not only adults, but has created a new generation of children who want to be regarded as Gods.

This has contributed to m
Michael Bennett
Nothing really revelatory in this book. This book probably in my college days would have caused more of a stir because it generally scratched the surface of many points and ideas I had learned. More or less, I started to second guess some of my own personal life choices, but realized that I did everything with my free will, I still actively seek out things to incorporate into my life on my on terms of both myself, my family, and community. I pick battles like everyone else and I keep myself more ...more
Aron Newberry
*****Disclaimer!*****DON'T READ THIS IF YOU ARE DEPRESSED!!!!!!! ZERO STARS*************************
As I get older I appreciate the art of subtlety, the ability to politely, not mention things that are perfectly obvious to anyone capable of abstract thought. I am disappointed that American culture has deteriorated such that a publisher would actually print this book. Growing up, we are given adages to live by. Our parents preach things like “sticks and stones…”, “do unto others…”, and the often
MM
Certainly we're in a culture of heightened individualism facilitated by consumer culture: customized this, special-order that, niche media, reality celebs, and so forth. And as a journalist Niedzviecki makes some apt points and observations about this cultural context. But in addition to overlooking some important historical precursors and trends, theoretically what this book needs is a more serious consideration of power and politics. Underlining some of the snarky observations about the masses ...more
Jafar
“Hal Niedzviecki has a blunt message for the army of tattoo and piercing enthusiasts, bloggers, skateboard warriors, and anyone else walking around with the smug certainty that they are one of a kind: Individuality is the new conformity.” That sounded very interesting to me. Unfortunately I have to add the following sentence to the cover blurb: Hal Niedzviecki is a writer who picks a good idea for a book, but can’t write it.

The only good part in this book is the introduction where the author int
Qu
93 - […] preying on the naïve and hopeful has always been part of the pop legacy
117 – The pop system depends on shutting us out
118 – In real life, we pay the corporation to give us the feeling of defying their-our-world.
139 –
155 – The practise of exorcism in contemporary America is remarkably well suited to the therapeutic ethos of the prevailing culture. […]Exorcism is oddly at home in the shopping mall culture, purchase of happiness culture, of turn-of-the-century America.
186 – Implanted fanta
Wysteria
Everything you like is horrible because everything you like everyone else likes. You are the mass media greatest dream, and even though you think you are an "individual" you are not. -- pretty much the gist of this book so far. And way too much focus on celebrity and stardom. As if that's the only thing people aspire to anymore. This guy is full of himself and his alternative hipster, I'm cooler than you because I'm different attitude, is gross.
Katie Pesznecker
Big topic tackled in this book, which broadly argues that individuality is the new conformity. A bit wandering at times but I owe that to the nebulous nature of the topic and not author error. Definitely thought-provoking and an intense look at what our social structures, pop culture and the "culture of celebrity" do in terms of driving people to define their own specialness and be seen as something unique. An interesting read.
Claudia
I almost gave it 2 stars because even though the issues raised are interesting and having been mulling around in my head for awhile, blargh!...the author writes with an uninspired, high-strung and elementary style that ruins the potential messages that could be addressed by someone with more thoughtfulness and dare I say a special writing style to express otherwise valid points. Ultimately lots of arrogance with limited insight.
Cara
Seemed rather redundant. Talked a lot around points, but never really came out and said anything productive. Hal's favorite word is apparently "ersatz" as he uses it in almost every chapter I think, in several cases where it is not the best word for the sentence. Another one of those books where I jived with the premise, but the execution of the text fell short.
Ed David
Mar 04, 2007 Ed David rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: other friends
Shelves: completed
Great read - a little too simplistic in theory but trying to understand current climate of North American thought/ideas. Main theory is that we all have been raised to think we are special and this ultimately compliments the insanity of our consumerist culture - I mean that's a pretty simple explanation but anyway the book gets the juices moving.
Molly
This book seemed like redundant, "I've figured everything out, and you haven't" tripe. Maybe having grown up in metropolitan areas my entire life I fail to realize that everyone around me may have this complex of having to be special to fit in...Mr.Niedzvecki, two stars for making this jaded urbanite take some time to reflect.
Eric
Decent...I suppose my expectations were higher than the book came out to be. I felt like Niedzviecki said the same thing a thousand times with a hundred different examples. Good points, however; it's a good observation about our current culture of individuality.
emmy hall
right after i graduated i started missing my sociology reading, and this book helped quench that craving. not overly academic, this book explores the concept of conformity in a way that is unique to the children of boomers.
Natasha
Interesting commentary on what constitutes a rebel when previously rebellious actions are now considered the norm. Makes you think about why you do the things you do, and who else does the same thing.
Cansu Arslan
It kind of book of personality development. But it little bit difficult. Therefore, it is more preferable book than classical the books of the personality development.
Nick Wallace
I.e. you're not special. The rating only dips due to somebody taking it upon themself to point that out to people who probably think the book isn't talking about them.
Tera
I found too many contradictions and dead ends. I was expecting something more Alain de Botton-ish but instead felt I was just reading someone's long blog entry.
Jaclyn Krzemieniecki
If you think you're special or different or better than anyone else, read this... you're not. Everyone else is thinking it too.
Jenava
interesting points, but couldn't finish it. it lost appeal after it got too repetitive.
Ron
Trite, boring, pseudo-intellectual claptrap lacks insight.
  • Queering the Color Line: Race and the Invention of Homosexuality in American Culture
  • Wake Up Little Susie: Single Pregnancy and Race Before Roe V Wade
  • Revolution at the Table: The Transformation of the American Diet (California Studies in Food and Culture, 7)
  • The Crisis of German Ideology: Intellectual Origins of the Third Reich
  • The Age of Austerity: How Scarcity Will Remake American Politics
  • The Way We'll Be: The Zogby Report on the Transformation of the American Dream
  • The Last Colonial Massacre: Latin America in the Cold War
  • While They're at War: The True Story of American Families on the Homefront
  • Maneuvers: The International Politics of Militarizing Women's Lives
  • States of Injury: Power and Freedom in Late Modernity
  • Citizen of the World: The Life of Pierre Elliott Trudeau, Volume One: 1919-1968
  • The Portable Obituary: How the Famous, Rich, and Powerful Really Died
  • Money for Nothing: One Man's Journey Through the Dark Side of Lottery Millions
  • Immigrant Acts: On Asian American Cultural Politics
  • Cowboys Full: The Story of Poker
  • Single State of the Union: Single Women Speak Out on Life, Love, and the Pursuit of Happiness
  • Formations of the Secular: Christianity, Islam, Modernity
  • Terrorist Assemblages: Homonationalism in Queer Times
Hal Niedzviecki is a writer, culture commentator and editor whose work challenges
preconceptions and confronts readers with the offenses of everyday life. Hal works in both the fiction and nonfiction genres. He is the author
of books including, in fiction, the novel Ditch, and his latest novel The Program. In nonfiction, his most recent work is The Peep Diaries: How We're Learning To Love Watching
More about Hal Niedzviecki...
The Peep Diaries: How We're Learning to Love Watching Ourselves and Our Neighbors Look Down, This is Where it Must Have Happened The Program The Big Book of Pop Culture: A How-To Guide for Young Artists Concrete Forest : The New Fiction of Urban Canada