Start by marking “Fox in Socks” as Want to Read:
Fox in Socks

Fox in Socks

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  35,404 ratings  ·  864 reviews
Fox in Socks celebrates 50 years of troubling tongues!

This classic Beginner Book by Dr. Seuss features silly tongue twisters that will have young readers--and their parents--giggling with glee. When a fox in socks meets Knox in a box, hilarity ensues. Add chicks with bricks and blocks and clocks and you're sure to get your words twisted and lips locked! With his unmistaka
Published January 12th 1965 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Fox in Socks, please sign up.

This is my favorite Dr. Suess book of all time. That’s because my mom couldn’t read it. I mean...she could read most of it. But when she got to the Bim bends Ben’s broom, she’d start tripping up. Then she’d start to laugh, and she laughed so hard a couple of times tears came to her eyes. I loved my mom’s laughter. Consequently, I used to pick up this book almost every night. I think she hid it for a while.

So can YOU read this out loud?

Bim comes.
Ben comes.
Bim brings Ben broom.
Ben brings Bim broo
This is one of our favorite Dr. Seuss books. One of the best tongue twister books I've ever read. We've read it several times and for some reason the six sick part always messes me up. I'm pretty smooth up until then. The more I read out loud to my kids, the more I realize I read ahead. I see a word and digest it, then as I'm saying it out loud, I'm already reading the next couple of words. With this book, that's difficult to do, because I often have to go back a word or two because I've forgott ...more
Peter Meredith
Because Mockingjay was so intellectually vapid and emotionally bland I have to work my way back into books. Thus: Fox in Socks! He's a clever fox you know.
The Seuss I read tonight...

I'm going to start reading this every night. And I'm going to time myself. My new goal in life is to always beat my previous best time. Ambitious, I know. I read it to my daughters 3 times tonight, each time faster than the last. What a rush.

I'll tell you what's messing me up... It's those brooms that Ben and Bim are carring around. They're REALLY bugging me.
Claire Stevens
Aah...a classic. It's impossible to read the tweetle beetle bottle battle out loud without dissolving into giggles.
In Fox in Socks, Dr. Seuss poses a treacherous, but delightful linguistic challenge for adults and children alike. It is also the only work by the famous children's author prefaced with a warning: "This book is DANGEROUS!" Through a series of vignettes on diverse subjects, Dr. Seuss melds his trademark silliness with near-lethal tongue twisters, including a variant on the infamous "The sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick."

Fox in Socks offers lots of opportunities for grownups. Read it in bed w
Jul 29, 2008 Adam rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: worst enemy
Shelves: evil-kids-books
This is an evil kid's book, for sure. Pick it up and you'll be condemned to a near eternity of grueling tongue twisters. And your kid will love it... Not because it's one of Seuss's masterpieces, but because he or she will enjoy watching you sweat like a hog as you labor from page to page and go purple in the face while you silently (with any luck) curse yourself for buying the thing.

[shelf: evil-kids-books]
Margit Sage
Aug 03, 2013 Margit Sage rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone.
Recommended to Margit by: I would guess my mom bought this one for me...
My favorite book, ever. When I was youngest, I would ask my brother to read it out loud to me. When I was older, I would read it to myself, trying to memorize the rhythmic poetry of the crazy fox's shenanigans. Maybe this is why there's a talking fox in my second novel? Hmm.... pieces of the puzzle fit together.
Anthony Eskridge
I have accomplished many amazing things in my life, and I will be honest, reading this book was one of the hardest of them! If you are up for the challenging rhymes of the AMAZING Dr.Seuss, than this book is for you!
Jan 16, 2008 Faith-Anne rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: every child
This book could be my childhood. I remember many evenings that my brother & I would choose "Fox in Socks" for our nightly bedtime read.
Clearly written on a day in which Dr. Seuss was annoyed by the wild, shrieking, running children who so often inhabit public places, Seuss has here his sweet, cranky revenge.

It's awful to read and it never gets easier, and it never gets less funny to the kid to hear their parent stumble over the words.

"Six sick bricks tick. Six sick chicks tock."

There was no need for that Seuss, none. I control my offspring in public places. Why punish us all?
May 29, 2015 Lucy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: my gramas
Recommended to Lucy by: mom
Dr.seuss teaches us lesons. In this book he teaches us that we,re not dumb no body is.If you can,t read this book aloud your not dumb.
Diana Godwin
Reading this book out loud is torture. Reading it 18 times in a row to a 3 year old is unspeakable. I think he wrote this book as a cruel prank toward parents.
John Yelverton
Another great book from the brilliant mind of Dr. Seuss.
Lorna Beckwith
I have always enjoyed reading Dr Seuss, I read this with my little brothers the other day and we had a race on how could read aloud the fastes without being tongue tied! Dr Seuss is a word genius who uses the power of words and imagination to create a fun learning space. The story features a mischievous Fox who plays a game with Mr Knox embarking on a funny, frustrating, linguistical journey filled with tongue twisters. Dr Seuss fills his book full of poetic devices, humour and bright illustrati ...more
Michael Hickey
Dr. Seuss is definitely the most brilliant children's writer who ever lived! And Fox in Socks is one of his most brilliant ever! It's about Fox in Socks and Knox in Box who try to outwit each other in tongue twisters. For someone like Dr. Seuss, you'd think that he would simplify these tongue twisters to make it more enjoyable for younger children below the age of 4, but nope... what makes Fox in Socks brilliant is that Seuss makes the tongue twisters confusing that even someone my age will say ...more
Sam Gobbey
This book was REALLY hard, but luckily Mummy was there to help me read it. If you like to rhyme, then this is the book for you. It should make my song-writing even more fantastically good than it already is!!!!
"gooey goo for chewy chewing!
that's what that goo-goose is doing.
do you choose to chew goo,too sir?
If, sir, you, sir choose to chew, sir,
with the goo-goose, chew, sir. Do, sir."

"Luke luck likes lakes. "Duck takes licks in lakes
Luke's duck likes lakes. Luke luck likes.Luke luck takes
Luke luck licks lakes. licks in lakes duck likes"
Luke's duck licks lakes."

"I cant blab such
blibber blubber!!
my tongue isn't made
of rubber.
Mr. Knox. Now
come now.come now
you don't have to be so dumb now......
I made my mom read this book so many times when I was little that, to this day, she can still recite the whole thing from memory. :)
Gizelle S.H
I was seven years old when my grandpa first read this book to me, back then I thought it was quit a nice and funny little book. I liked it when knox put the fox in socks in the bottle with the battling beetles. I also liked it how it rhymed and how when you read it allowed it kind of muddles you up.

Shanna Gonzalez
This is a clever book full of tongue twisters, which can be enjoyed as an easy reader or as a read-aloud. The fox plies his friend Mr. Knox with tongue twisters (each accompanied by a funny illustrated scene) and Knox refuses to try them, but in the end Mr. Knox bests the fox at his own game. Children will enjoy playing with these silly words and silly scenes, all of which are defined by the easy reader's limited vocabulary. It's lots of fun, and this kind of wordplay may help open the mind to a ...more
I normally don't put children's books on this list, but this is one of my favorite books to read to kids. Never mind that it is usually not my kids' favorite to have me read.

The rhymes and tongue twisters in this story are great, and if you pay less attention to the meaning of the words and more to the sounds they make, particularly in the combinations Dr. Seuss creates with them, you can appreciate his true genius. I still haven't figured out how to say the words of the entire book in a way tha
Jonathan Bodine
Fox in Socks is definitely helps kids understand rhyming words. It also aids children’s understanding of the complexities of English. For example the book demonstrates that “ocks” and “ox” are spelled different but produce the same sound. The words in the book are pieced together in a way that allows kids to play with sounds verbally and learn how a change of one or two letters in a word changes the sounds of a word. The rhyming may get all of the shine but the subject matter is nothing to scoff ...more
Christa Parks
The e-book version of this print-based book is quite similar to the other e-book versions of Dr. Seuss' books. There is the choice for you to read the book all by yourself, have the pages turned and the book read for you or have the book read to you but control the turning of the pages. If the book is read to you the words will be highlighted in red as the narrator says the words out loud. The students can follow along with the story and hopefully pick up new words or recognize the ones they alr ...more
On its own terms, as a young children's "beginning to read" book, this rates 5 stars.

I read it numerous times to my sons when they were little and it was always a firm favourite. Great for pre-readers, too, as the alliteration and rhymes make it eminently memorizable after a couple of reads, so the little ones know what's coming and can join in.

One of the many Dr Seuss books that give me a warm, nostalgic glow, remembering those happy story-times before bed.
Alicia Beaumier
This books language was very confusing, the cover even has a warning about how you shouldn't read it to fast. It is exciting when you actually start reading it a few times you start to get it. It is a lot of rhyming, and their is so many characters that you get to follow which makes the book a little more exciting. I would read this to an older child so they could learn the language better, The book was very awesome!
Like I am starting to realize in all Dr. suess books the colors are so bright a
Kelly Woodward
This is one of the most fun children's books I've read...and I've read quite a few!

My husband has been all about Dr. Seuss lately, and he loves reading them to our son, so I grabbed this one when I spotted it at the library since we hadn't read it yet. (My mom swears we read it when I was a kid, and I'm sure we did, but I don't remember it.)

The tongue twisters in this book are tricky and silly and great fun to read aloud. My two-year-old (and his parents!) giggled all through our first reading
I think I first read this book to Nathan, also, so I am thankful to my darling nephew for that. But I have read it probably thousands of times to my own children, and aim to read it to my grandchildren when the time is right. My father was the funniest when it came to tongue twisters, and my mom was the crowned queen, so these books are a natural fit for my sisters and me.
Cole Hoffman
Fox in Socks is a fun tongue twister that helps the reader enunciate their words. Mr. Fox takes Mr. Knox on a tour around and they look at all different tongue twisting scenarios, such as the chicks carrying bricks, blocks, and clocks. Mr. Knox has trouble keeping up and Mr. Fox tries to slow down, but can't quite slow down fast enough. This leads Mr. Knox to get extremely frustrated and eventually force him to sink or swim in these words.
One thing I love about this book is the characters emoti
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Why make fake profiles? 2 68 Sep 16, 2013 05:20PM
Seuss Lovers: Fox in Socks 1 1 Dec 06, 2012 06:34PM
  • The Berenstains' B Book (Bright & Early Books)
  • On Beyond Bugs (Cat In The Hat's Learning Library)
  • My Friend is Sad
  • The Nose Book (Bright and Early Books BE-8)
  • Belly Button Book
  • I Just Forgot (Little Critter)
  • Richard Scarry's Best Mother Goose Ever
More about Dr. Seuss...

“When beetles fight these battles in a bottle with their paddles
and the bottle's on a poodle and the poodle's eating noodles...
...they call this a muddle puddle tweetle poodle beetle noodle
bottle paddle battle.”
“Don't give up! I believe in you all.
A person's a person, no matter how small!
And you very small persons will not have to die
If you make yourselves heard! So come on, now, and TRY!”